Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Namtab are we Rwbying tomorrow

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
You know Baal I'm getting a lot of use out of your avatar reminding me to listen to more queen.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As you should, Queen owns

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

For people itt the rwby synchtube is probably gonna be next weekend, and may be either all of rwby or just the last two episodes of the season, depending on suggestions/how sadistic I feel

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I haven't watched any of the third season yet, so I'd prefer the whole thing. Or just all of season 3, if that's an option.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Decided to sit down and watch season 3. It was a big improvement over the first two. Animation, acting, and dialouge was still pretty bad, but I was enterained. The battles were pretty cool and, once they started killing people off, it was fun seeing who'd go next.

There was still some dumb moments, but this city siege actually got accross that the Grimm are dangerous instead of the dumb s2 siege and cutting out the dumb, student side characters in s4 seems for the best: the cast was getting bloated.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Can I just say that after seeing Yang lose an arm, Weiss forcibly transported back to Atlas and Blake on the run that I just want season 4 to start already? Why did Pyrrha have to die? Yeah, she was based on Achilles but that doesn't you have to follow the myth nearly to the letter Monty. Dammit that character arc between her and Jaune was just starting to get really good too. I really don't want them to go by history for Jaune though. That would be the shittiest thing to do.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Yang thing was really dumb and contrived, too. Someone who fights with their fists is very obviously going to know that you don't charge with your arm outstretched to punch someone because you get no force that way at all.

Not like it matters because she's gonna come back in S4 with a bionic Darth Vader arm with even more dakka built into it but hey.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nah, it's even more obvious that she's then going to use said bionic arm to break Mercury's legs off in the finale, or something.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
That's if she's not still an emo gently caress to set the tone on how ~serious~ the series is, now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Let me tell you what Rwby needed was a loving plot with backstory pulled completely out of its rear end and stakes for these lovely villain characters no one cares about

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The series' strength is entirely in its characters, and that includes most of the villains. Roman was phenomenal, Cinder and her team are also at least a bit interesting.

The bullshit backstory and "all these fairy tales (which we never bothered mentioning before) are actually real!", on the other hand, is bad, and what I feel like was the only real ball drop in S3.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

The series' strength is entirely in its characters, and that includes most of the villains. Roman was phenomenal, Cinder and her team are also at least a bit interesting.

The bullshit backstory and "all these fairy tales (which we never bothered mentioning before) are actually real!", on the other hand, is bad, and what I feel like was the only real ball drop in S3.

Roman is fun I guess. How is cinder interesting.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Monaghan posted:

Roman is fun I guess. How is cinder interesting.

I guess seeing all of the ways she can pull a "master plan" out of her rear end is interesting?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

The Shortest Path posted:

Agree. The 'fairy tales are real!' is neat but poorly handled.

Also Cinder's main point of interest is the whole 'who is the chick, why is she doing this, how is she able to talk to grimm and get them to listen' mystery bit.

I'm willing to predict that the answers to the above questions are going to be more of the 'but we really should have had hints of this earlier' type.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cinder and her team are not even a little bit interesting. Everything goes their way constantly, she's one of the worst acted characters, and the other two are so comically villainous it's boring rather than funny. Neo and Roman are great, but one got locked up for an entire season and the other barely does anything. Like if you want Cinder and Group to effective or interesting villains why has every interaction with them been showing how evil and lovely they are? There's really not room for ambiguity here and any sort of sob story is going to be lovely and tacked on, which they will have.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

True, interest is subjective. Here's mine and why:
Cinder: passing interest for the reasons stated above but I'm already prepared to be let down by them.

green haired chickEmerald: no interest (I keep having to look up her freaking name.) There have literally been no instances of her own motivations aside from stealing stuff. Thus: she's either doing it for herself, or doing it for others. Not much to work with.

Mercury: interesting because we have gotten a teaser about his past. Now I want to know more, like why he had to get his legs replaced, what was the deal with that fight we weren't shown, does it have anything to do with his dad, what was his dad like, why was he an assassin AUGH! There's still a lack of motives but unlike with Emerald the implications are much, much clearer.

Also no longer true that they haven't had any setbacks, but I agree that their first actual setback being at the usual 'mid-season' climax moment makes for weaker villains.
It's one of the reasons Ramon is better than them after all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

Cinder and her team are not even a little bit interesting. Everything goes their way constantly, she's one of the worst acted characters, and the other two are so comically villainous it's boring rather than funny. Neo and Roman are great, but one got locked up for an entire season and the other barely does anything. Like if you want Cinder and Group to effective or interesting villains why has every interaction with them been showing how evil and lovely they are? There's really not room for ambiguity here and any sort of sob story is going to be lovely and tacked on, which they will have.

I think Merc and Emerald work well enough outside of the villain team because they are jerks which is a simple enough characteristic for Roosterteeth to write decently well and can occasionally be used to make jokes.

Cinder is still the most boring person on the show though and since most of their scenes are with her they also spend most of their time being incredibly boring. But like, if she disappeared I don't think they'd be too bad.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Baal posted:

I have not watched since season 1, nor do I plan to but I can almost bet you are correct with your last line. Why not take one of the most overused anime tropes of "no they weren't really bad all along because"? I also assume that there is not going to be any real drama or pathos associated with Yang and it's just an excuse for a super cool robo arm because of course you'd add that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think Merc and Emerald work well enough outside of the villain team because they are jerks which is a simple enough characteristic for Roosterteeth to write decently well and can occasionally be used to make jokes.

Cinder is still the most boring person on the show though and since most of their scenes are with her they also spend most of their time being incredibly boring. But like, if she disappeared I don't think they'd be too bad.

Right, but that's all they've been. Like Mercury and Emerald have more to them than Cinder, but at the end of the day, they're still her petulant lovely minions. They've never been out for themselves, doing their own stuff, they show up solely to do her bidding and put her plans into action. The one thing they have for themselves at this point is their meetings with Cinder in the past and those don't paint a pretty picture of them as characters either.

Like Roman is an rear end in a top hat, but he's at least affable and funny. What do Emerald and Mercury have? They are smug and Emerald sometimes acts nice and then says she hates being nice.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I want to be powerful

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

Right, but that's all they've been. Like Mercury and Emerald have more to them than Cinder, but at the end of the day, they're still her petulant lovely minions. They've never been out for themselves, doing their own stuff, they show up solely to do her bidding and put her plans into action. The one thing they have for themselves at this point is their meetings with Cinder in the past and those don't paint a pretty picture of them as characters either.

Like Roman is an rear end in a top hat, but he's at least affable and funny. What do Emerald and Mercury have? They are smug and Emerald sometimes acts nice and then says she hates being nice.

I guess I just think that unlike Cinder it is possible for them to be somewhat entertaining? I mean remove Cinder and all they've got is being smug and mean, which is pretty boring and one-note but that's still an easy combination of characteristics for them to be involved in jokes or do things. Which is more than I can say for some characters, not least of all Cinder who's only characteristic is 'Evil'.

I mean, sure she's smug as well but at least with the other two their smugness is occasionally petty or used for a gag rather than just existing to show they're evil.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

I want to be powerful

ummm... have you not checked your avatar lately?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Darth Walrus posted:

ummm... have you not checked your avatar lately?

Karen is already powerful.

But it's not enough. It's never enough.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, let's face it.

The villain with the most personality, Roman, is never gonna come back.

The next runner-up, Adam, feels like a really ham-handed take on an abusive lover. Beyond that, not much of anything.

Emerald and Mercury, AFAIK, haven't had much (if any) characterization independent of Cinder. Aside from their flashbacks, everything they've been doing has been at her beck and call.

Cinder is... Cinder.

And I'm half-seriously willing to put money on Salem going the "I want to destroy the world because I'm EEEVIL" route.

They'd probably be at least somewhat better if they had more than part of an episode to get fleshed out.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

They'd probably be at least somewhat better if they had more than part of an episode to get fleshed out.

RWBY.txt

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Namtab posted:

you should watch madoka, then post in the madoka thread

I smell a trap

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I mean, let's face it.

The villain with the most personality, Roman, is never gonna come back.

The next runner-up, Adam, feels like a really ham-handed take on an abusive lover. Beyond that, not much of anything.

Emerald and Mercury, AFAIK, haven't had much (if any) characterization independent of Cinder. Aside from their flashbacks, everything they've been doing has been at her beck and call.

Cinder is... Cinder.

And I'm half-seriously willing to put money on Salem going the "I want to destroy the world because I'm EEEVIL" route.

Roman's dead and Adam is trash. Adam could be developed into an interesting character if they bother to flesh out his backstory and we get to see him slowly turning into a psychopath but that will never happen so :shrug:

Cinder, Emerald, and Mercury have had more character development than most of the extras, sadly. Neo is mute and has the best aesthetic of any character in the show, I'd probably call her my favorite character just for that despite knowing jack poo poo about her because of being mute.

Basically I like those four because of the potential they have once they start developing more in season 4. Cinder can intelligently communicate with Grimm and has an enormous power-tripping complex despite being like 17 years old, Mercury killed his dad and lost his legs for it. Those things will be explained, probably. Or not! It's not like Roosterteeth has a good track record for elaborating on things at all. I guess I just like the villains because there's only a dozen good characters in the show and there hasn't been much development for any of them other than RWBY, Jaune, and Pyrrha.

SolomonGrundy
Apr 4, 2012
I've been watching RWBY for a while myself, I really enjoy the show. Yeah it's got a lot of flaws, but I like the fact that each volume they've shown quite a bit of improvement on those flaws. I feel like the show suffered the most because of the super short episodes. It seemed to me like they were trying to squeeze too much into such a short amount of time. Also I think that the story seems bad, but is actually well written. Right now we have so many questions about what the hell is going on, and we don't get many answers. They foreshadowed a lot of what was going to happen, it was just very subtle. Which I personally think makes the series more interesting.

A few things that I wanted to point out after going through this thread are:
- Monty had planned the story out up through the girls reaching adulthood before he died, and as far as we know Kerry and Miles are going to follow that story as best they can.
- Ruby is not a maiden, silver eyes ex machina are some other kind of power. Some of the other characters on the show have silverish eyes, but that seemed to be another error on their part Ruby is the only one who is supposed to have the sharingan.
- Roman is unfortunately dead, they didn't think he was going to be as popular as he was. He was actually supposed to leave the show a lot sooner.
- Salem is not the winter maiden, CRWBY (that's what the RT calls themselves) confirmed this in one of their streams after the end of volume III.
- The two main teams (RWBY & JNPR) had themes for each character. RWBY is based on fairy tales/disney princesses (red riding hood, snow white, goldilocks, and beauty and the beast). JNPR is based on historical/mythical heroes that crossed dressed... which I thought was super weird (Joan of Arc, Thor, Achilles, and Mulan).

Anyways I just wanted to share some things and my opinion. Maybe it will make everyone hate it more, or not. I don't really care :a2m:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Namtab when's the next simulwatch, I need to be in the know so I can tell people they're overthinking it properly.

Also Baal what's your new AV from?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fire Emblem Fates

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SolomonGrundy posted:

- The two main teams (RWBY & JNPR) had themes for each character. RWBY is based on fairy tales/disney princesses (red riding hood, snow white, goldilocks, and beauty and the beast). JNPR is based on historical/mythical heroes that crossed dressed... which I thought was super weird (Joan of Arc, Thor, Achilles, and Mulan).

RWBY was obvious but I didn't see the Mulan connection there. It's probably my least-watched of the animated disney films :negative:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Baal posted:

Fire Emblem Fates

And before anyone asks, yes it's good

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Mulan is unobjectively the best Disney movie, hth

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Mulan is unobjectively the best Disney movie, hth

Certainly follows the grand old Disney tradition of the best, catchiest song being the one we're least supposed to agree with.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad Nora is actually based on Thor, thank you based Monty.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I never caught onto the JNPR theme other than Jaune being based on Joan but that's pretty great.

Also have a great video:

https://www.tumblr.com/video/polaroidmax/139577664755/500

SolomonGrundy
Apr 4, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

RWBY was obvious but I didn't see the Mulan connection there. It's probably my least-watched of the animated disney films :negative:

Yeah I don't know if it goes much past because they're both Asian. Maybe we'll get more character development in volume 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It occurred to me while on a long drive today that RWBY is basically Naruto with fancy weapons.

• Locked thread