Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I vote for nursing school so that she can finally discover a cure to Indonesia's worm plague and social/political activism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
If this run were a movie, it would be heart wrenching and it would be an Oscar nominee, especially with Hadjar's whole tragic arc. (do we lose track of him now that he moved out? We'll know if he dies, right?)

Obviously Rasuna will Move to the city and become an activist to hopefully make sure others can avoid the worm-ridden poverty she and her family have endured.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I vote move to the city and become an activist.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Admin Aid, go Urban, Activate.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Cathode Raymond posted:

If this run were a movie, it would be heart wrenching and it would be an Oscar nominee, especially with Hadjar's whole tragic arc. (do we lose track of him now that he moved out? We'll know if he dies, right?)

Obviously Rasuna will Move to the city and become an activist to hopefully make sure others can avoid the worm-ridden poverty she and her family have endured.

Yeah, I'm voting for this.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Moving out on her own is a sure ticket to worm-ridden poverty. She absolutely needs to stay with her parents and help them with income in their declining health. Activism is definitely in her future which makes it even more important she doesn't try to live on her own.

Honestly it's like you goons want to see everyone suffer and die

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

gbuchold posted:

Moving out on her own is a sure ticket to worm-ridden poverty. She absolutely needs to stay with her parents and help them with income in their declining health. Activism is definitely in her future which makes it even more important she doesn't try to live on her own.

Yu is lonely in the graveyard :ghost:

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Cathode Raymond posted:

Yu is lonely in the graveyard :ghost:
If 100 rupees is about 1 cent, you're saying she should move out and make a life for herself, alone as a woman in a culture that doesn't accept that, on $50-100 a month.

Why must everything beautiful die

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

gbuchold posted:

She's too nice of a girl to abandon her parents. I agree with this.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

gbuchold posted:

Why must everything beautiful die

Again, to fill the graveyard :colbert:

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
I agree that she should stay with her parents, at least until she's married, hopefully getting a job as an administrative aid at a small local NGO. But she has dreams of someday moving to a city where she can try to make a difference on a larger scale. Definitely add activism in there.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Administrative Aid to get some money and real world experience organizing things I guess.

Then activism and socialize, so we can began making a name for ourselves and making the friends we need to succeed at accomplishing real change!

As far as a career, she should definitely Go into politics, should the opportunity present itself.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

For an educational game, they sure found some hack text-writers. What kind of lovely way of saying "22 out of the past 25 years" is that?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Cathode Raymond posted:

I am concerned about her lowish health and especially her melancholic happiness. Is depression a thing that can happen to you? What affects that happiness stat besides relationships?

Depression is absolutely a thing, along with a slew of other mental health issues such as OCD and schizophrenia. I'm actually not sure what things directly affect the happiness stats, but I'm pretty sure that consumption and decent amounts of free time helps in keeping it up. Some people just seem to be naturally morose, though.

steinrokkan posted:

So, is conscience a practical trait like say intellect, or is it just something the game uses to give you points for not min-maxing?

I believe that mostly effects the likelihood of some events, as far as I understand. Really, many of the stats are just there (again, afaik) to give you a feeling of what sort of person you are playing as. There's not really a lot of min-maxing to be done, because in the end how do you win at life? If you assume that the way to win is to earn as much money as possible and to live long enough to spend it (a reasonable assumption), you'd absolutely want to maximise intelligence (for better job opportunities) and strength/endurance (to hopefully live longer). Really, making more money is one of the things you have the most control over, and one of the easiest points of comparison if you feel you want to play "optimally".

But then again, you can argue that there are a lot of other ways to win: Being happy, being great at music/arts/sports, being pretty and getting all the boys/girls/both, being a really good person, having as many healthy kids as possible, or any combination of these. Much like real life, Real Lives really needs you to set up your own goals if you want to enjoy it :)

Kangra posted:

Does the game model skipping school to earn money for the family, or dropping out entirely? I'm guessing we can sort-of do that for ourselves by selecting our focus to shape the stats, but I'd have to think that our siblings in this case would also be doing something like that.

As Astrofig said, you can drop out whenever but there isn't really a point as you can't work until you're 13-14. I'm not sure if your siblings ever do it voluntarily, but they/you can also be forced to drop out of school if they are too weak to attend or your family is too poor.

ButtDoktor posted:

Disgusting things

Never stop posting nauseating stuff like this please! Are you actually a literal butt doctor, by the way?

Shiki Dan posted:

Well, and I guess some of the changes in language and religion make a little bit of sense, in a way...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mataram_%28city%29

This is a good point, and a great post!

Cathode Raymond posted:

Yeah, we'll continue to receive updates about his misadventures, don't worry! :)

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

nerdpony posted:

I agree that she should stay with her parents, at least until she's married, hopefully getting a job as an administrative aid at a small local NGO. But she has dreams of someday moving to a city where she can try to make a difference on a larger scale. Definitely add activism in there.

This is the right way of thinking.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

nerdpony posted:

Let's do this

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Can you have your character get disappeared for political activism?

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Nuramor posted:

We'll probably find out the fun way.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The worms are the true masters of Indonesia.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

The worms are the true masters of Indonesia.
Well Indonesia does contain the spice islands. :v:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Poil posted:

Well Indonesia does contain the spice islands. :v:

Good thing our brother will walk without rhythm :v:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
The life of Rasuna Irawan, part four

Age 18

Rasuna's volunteering work has placed her in contact with a small NGO, working with poverty relief in the area. Having spent a few years helping them out for free after school, they are happy to offer her a real job. It's mostly shuffling papers and making phone calls, but Rasuna is content to make a living out of her passion for helping others.

It is around this time, however, that her commitment to improving her country begins to change character. She becomes involved with a semi-radical anti-government movement, working to raise awareness of the inequalities of the country. It's little more than handing out pamphlets and making speeches, but her hard work quickly gains her some recognition in the movement.

Her older brother moves out, leaving only Rasuna and the kid siblings in the house along with her parents. It is a strange feeling, being the oldest of the children in the house.

Age 19

Hello again! :)

Age 20

Oh, just a short visit, huh?

More interesting facts! This doesn't quite explain Rasuna's religion-switching though. (She is still a muslim at the time of writing this)

I really enjoy these tidbits about the architecture of rural houses. It almost sounds quite quaint, if you imagine away the poverty and worms everywhere.

Peace returns.

Rasuna falls in love with another member of her activist group.

Unfortunately, her rather timid advances are all shot down. She can't even be sure if he notices them :(

Mother goes back to work at the farm.

Age 21

With her mother's new job and the money that Rasuna is bringing in, the family can afford to move to a nicer house where her parents plan to live out the rest of their days.

Then one early morning when leaving for work, Rasuna is picked up by the police. Her interrogator is neither harsh nor amiable as he explains that all they want from her is a confession of their anti-government activities, and a list of names of other people in the organisation. As long as she cooperates, she is in no danger.

What should she do?

She is sadder than ever, although this time for obvious reasons :smith:

Rasuna is in a difficult position, caught between endangering her friends in the movement and risking her own freedom. She knows full well that if she goes to prison, her parents may not be there when she gets out.

Should Rasuna keep quiet or confess?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Keep quiet. Why compromise with her ideals?

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Going by her Conscience score of 100, I don't think confessing is even crossing her mind. keep quiet, obviously.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Rasuna ain't no snitch. :colbert:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rasuna is not the kind to put others at risk for her own safety, much less if it means giving up her ideals to the corrupt goverment. Needless to say she's keeping quiet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Snitches get stitches

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
STOP SNITCHIN'

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Getting executed/imprisoned and tortured as a political prisoner sounds like a great way to go out.

We ain't no Snitch

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Omertà

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
What she is fighting for is bigger than the safety of just one person, and giving them names that they could use to hurt others is something she wouldn't even consider. She'd never tell. She's pretty sure they wouldn't do anything too rash and risk making a Martyr out of her anyway, because that would bring more attention to the cause. Her works with others has probably made her a pretty public persona, and she's very likely quite beloved by the community - someone they wouldn't risk becoming a rallying figure.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 2, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rasuna would never tell. She's going to keep quiet and die a hero.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
gently caress tha police.

Wow, conscience 100! Rasuna is a paragon of virtue, the prophesied Anti-Yu.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yu was comically evil, so I think it only makes sense for Rasuna to be the hero Indonesia needs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nuramor posted:

YOU loving HAD TO ASK, DIDN'T YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Yu was comically evil, so I think it only makes sense for Rasuna to be the hero Indonesia needs.

The hero Indonesia needs would probably be smarter, and also willing to compromise. Rasuna is a crusader, and we all know how poorly the crusades went. :munch:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The asked but don't tell anyway

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

Rarity posted:

Snitches get stitches

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Keep quiet. Rasuna is a rock.

Covski posted:

Never stop posting nauseating stuff like this please! Are you actually a literal butt doctor, by the way?

Thanks! I hope we get to see plenty more fun 3rd world diseases. I'm not a proctologist/colorectal surgeon (literally a butt surgeon). I just chose the username when I registered after having a week with an exorbitant number of butt problems/rectal exams.

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Keep quiet.

Maybe if we're lucky we'll survive the torture sessions!

• Locked thread