Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I made a big image heavy thread with some selects from the U2 tour. Didn't want to spam this thread any more.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754711

Of course I already got trolled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Still looks like you had a fun time though.

Got out to my second show. Put on by Coca-Cola in what used to be a department store. I'm surprised more sketchy people didn't show up when they went around advertising free coke and pizza.

ISO 2000 1/350 F5.6 16-50mm

ISO 2500 1/125 F/6.7 16-50mm

Mostly took shots from the front left of stage. Things I found bothersome very quickly was I almost always had a light pointed at me, just beside their head. And the shadow from the mic putting a nice black strip down their chin. Really wish I had set myself up on the other side of the stage.

I've been working in full manual (including focus), except for white balance. Is that common? Or should I be letting the camera do a bit more of the work?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Golluk posted:

I've been working in full manual (including focus), except for white balance. Is that common? Or should I be letting the camera do a bit more of the work?

Depends on the lighting. If the lighting is fairly static, manual is fine. Manual exposure with static lighting is especially important in strongly backlit situations where/if you don't want the subjects to always appear as silhouettes. If it's fairly dynamic, you're better off with auto exposure.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

This is probably the most intimidated I've been in front of an artist - Shellac did an in-store Q+A and performance (was originally meant to be short Q+A and three songs, turned into an hour of audio talk and five songs) and being that close to Steve fuckin' Albini made me feel real nervous.

And now he hates you

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Chill Callahan posted:

And now he hates you

i work in the "industry" anyway so he'd probably hate me regardless but gently caress it, the dude has helped my favourite bands.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Golluk posted:

I don't know about common, but generally I shoot concerts in shutter priority at about 1/250 for general purpose action shots. I might switch to full manual for some stuff or if the lighting is very static but that doesn't happen very often. The advice I got a few posts up to shoot 2-3 stops underexposed is good too, I was taking some pictures last weekend of a stage bathed in red and blue LED spots and I was able to get a better colour balance and no blown-out highlights.

IMG_2136.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2066.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Edit: naturally, these are the two that I had to desaturate and de-vibrance the poo poo out of to get them to work...

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 7, 2015

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I guess I'll play around in shutter priority next for a bit. My train of thought when setting up:

1) Shutter speed to 1/250 or 1/125 based on how active the artist is on stage.
2) ISO to 3200 (Looking at ISO comparison shots, beyond 3200 is where it gets noticeably noisy).
3) Aperture to 8.0 (Supposedly clearest for the lens)
4) Point the spot meter at their face. Target is -0.5.

If I'm too low, I bring down the aperture first. ISO up if still low till ~6000. Finally slow the shutter speed more.
If I'm too high, Start lowering the ISO, then faster shutter, and finally higher aperture.

If I'm down at F3.6, I'll try to move the camera forward and back a few inches between shots to improve my odds having their face in proper focus.

I'll have to give bouncing the flash off the ceiling a try when practical, and not too distracting.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Holy cow, you'd have to be shooting an outdoor concert on a sunny day to run at 1/250 at f/8.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

HPL posted:

Holy cow, you'd have to be shooting an outdoor concert on a sunny day to run at 1/250 at f/8.

The spot light was maybe 8' from the guys face. That second picture was F6.7, albiet 1/125. It's just a starting point for me.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 8, 2015

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Yeah my experience around at local venues is that I'm happy if I get f5.6, 1/125 and 6400 ISO on a Canon 6d.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Golluk posted:

The spot light was maybe 8' from the guys face. That second picture was F6.7, albiet 1/125. It's just a starting point for me.

Yeah but f8 is still another two stops below f6.3 so you'd either have to be hella dragging the shutter or bumping the ISO to get decent in camera results, and even if you were keeping at 2500 you'd have to put some pretty nifty noise reduction on in post. That seems untenable.

I just don't see the benefit of stopping down so much with a relatively high ISO and low shutter speed?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just got back from seeing Muse. Holy cow, if you appreciate fancy lighting and epic stage craft, definitely check them out. They're on the second half of their North American tour. Don't bring the camera, just sit back and enjoy. Tons of projection tricks with about 15 projection screens coming down from the ceiling, live motion-tracking effects, 9 or 10 giant inflatable quadcopters with lights all over them, hovering around the stage, the stage itself has dynamic LED lighting built into it and the entire stage rotates. It's not a cheap ticket, but at least you can see where all the money went. Even the bassist had lights in the fretboards of all his basses.

One thing that was kind of neat is that I was expecting a relatively sedate performance from the band since they're a three-piece and the singer is usually chained to the mic stand, but they positioned microphone stands all around the stage and the two wings so there was way more movement than there would be otherwise.

HPL fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 11, 2015

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

i work in the "industry" anyway so he'd probably hate me regardless but gently caress it, the dude has helped my favourite bands.

Eh it was a bad attempt at a Bad Penny joke

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

The Bug + Liz Harris

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
So Australia's Soundwave Festival is collapsing at a sudden rate and turning into quite a scandal, so I went ahead and grabbed some photos from the five years I've shot the festival.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Small venue called the Baltimore House, featured Ghosts of Memphis, Andrew Hyatt, and Missy Bauman. And also blue/violet lighting. They were OK with the occasional flashes though, so I gave bouncing off the conveniently white ceiling a try. Even caught a marriage proposal! Bald guy and the Red hed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139234806@N03/albums/72157661067726203/with/24216538511/

I think this was my favorite though.
DSC00994 by Jon Mil, on Flickr

A few could really do with some tweaking, and all should be cropped. These are just the jpegs the camera generated, not the raws.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 10, 2016

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Golluk posted:

Even caught a marriage proposal! Bald guy and the Red hed.

I believe you when you say this was a marriage proposal....
DSC01039 by Jon Mil, on Flickr

... but looking at the expression on her face, and their body positions (and location in what looks like the little-used back hallway of the joint), I'm not sure I believe you meant "accepted marriage proposal".

I could just be a cynical jerk, though. I like the pictures, what are your plans for editing?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used the Olympus XA at a show before? I like that it's extremely compact but the max iso of 800 worries me for getting steady shots at 2.8.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It didn't end well, but then my XA has a crappy rangefinder patch.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

BANME.sh posted:

Has anyone used the Olympus XA at a show before? I like that it's extremely compact but the max iso of 800 worries me for getting steady shots at 2.8.

This was off of a Olympus Mju which also has a f2.8 aperture, just off of that Shopper's film (400 I think), so if you shot a 800 film or Portra 400 I'm sure you'll get usable shots:

Scan-140622-0002.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

It wasn't an especially bright venue or anything either.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I want to try it next time hah.

My dad gave me an XA as a kid ... wonderful little thing. The weird part is that I ... mysteriously ended up with a second one. I feel like I must have accidentally taken someone else's at some point, assuming it was mine.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Geektox posted:

This was off of a Olympus Mju which also has a f2.8 aperture, just off of that Shopper's film (400 I think), so if you shot a 800 film or Portra 400 I'm sure you'll get usable shots:

Scan-140622-0002.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

It wasn't an especially bright venue or anything either.

Looks not bad. I should try hacking the dx label on some portra so the camera thinks its 800 or even 1600 in the mju so I can get even better shutter speeds.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You could shoot on Natura 1600.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The meter only goes to 800.

You could also get the screw-on flash for the XA.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

The meter only goes to 800.

You could also get the screw-on flash for the XA.

I have the A11 flash but it's broken :(

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I got re-excited about concert photography browsing this thread and there's a venue within stumbling-home distance of my apartment here that has a pretty interesting series of shows lined up for the next month or so. I sent the venue an email asking if I could take photos at the show I most want to go see.

Is this anything like the approach anybody else uses?

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I typically just show up to venues and ask if I can take photos there on the night of a show that I want to go to. Whoever's working typically says yes. Afterwords, I email bands + tag the venue on FB or Instagram when I'm posting stuff online. Works out pretty well.

It's weird that whenever I've emailed a venue about taking photos, they typically don't reply to me. Maybe it's just a case of bad luck or they never see my messages or something.

Content Drop:

Glad Rags @ The Empty Bottle by Shara Miller, on Flickr

^^^
Going to be taking photos of these guys again this evening. They're super fun and passionate about their music.

Fatkid @ Burlington Bar (Valentines Day) by Shara Miller, on Flickr
^^^^
These guys are also super fun and passionate about their tunes.

Lever @ Burlington Bar (at a later date) by Shara Miller, on Flickr

^^^^
I wish I could master the art of not having other people's limbs and stuff in photos. The thing is that I am reluctant about actually removing anything other than the tiniest blemishes. Should I just start doing some dodging and burning of undesirable bits?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

I believe you when you say this was a marriage proposal....

... but looking at the expression on her face, and their body positions (and location in what looks like the little-used back hallway of the joint), I'm not sure I believe you meant "accepted marriage proposal".

I could just be a cynical jerk, though. I like the pictures, what are your plans for editing?

That was later in the night. I got the vibe that it was a somewhat serious conversation going on there as well. He proposed at the end of their set. This was taken after the ring and proposal.

As for editing, I'm messing around with the free Sony editor for the moment (Capture 9). Ideally I'll move on to learning Light room. To be honest though, I may not attempt much more than cropping, or black and whites. I'm not color blind, but I wouldn't be your first choice for color correction either. But having this to learn and work on makes the hobby fun.

saw another five groups perform last night, with easy access to the stage. Other than some cell phones, no other photographers this time. The one lead singer had a nice stage presence, and made for some fun shots.

I think this may be my favorite:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh, I do like those. Really wish I could get more shots with that kind of focus. I'm not sure if it's from them moving at 1/90th, me messing up manual focus, or a little of both.

I think cropping is about the only solution for the extra limb issue, along with your own positioning when taking the actual shot to give the most room on either side of the object before, distracting? things start getting into it. Of course that balances against getting a good angle/lighting on the main subject themselves. As a beginner, that is how I look at it. Would be curious if there are better methods from the more experienced.

My biggest challenge has been getting mic's and their shadows out of peoples faces. Lots of bands seem to position them high and aimed down towards them, while the venue has one spot light aimed at them, leaving a dark shadow.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 15, 2016

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sharizard posted:

I typically just show up to venues and ask if I can take photos there on the night of a show that I want to go to. Whoever's working typically says yes. Afterwords, I email bands + tag the venue on FB or Instagram when I'm posting stuff online. Works out pretty well.

It's weird that whenever I've emailed a venue about taking photos, they typically don't reply to me. Maybe it's just a case of bad luck or they never see my messages or something.

Cool, thanks. If I don't hear from a person from the organization I'll just show up with my camera and ask at the door. If they say no, I guess my camera can be hidden in my jacket at the coat check. Hmmm... typing that makes me a little worried, coat check racks are not exactly bank vaults. Doors at 7:30, show at 8:00 and I live about a 15 walk away, so if they say no I might just zip back home to drop off my camera. Thinking out loud here.

The show I most want to go to is The Watchmen (Jan 28) but I'm considering Danko Jones Jan 23 - has anybody seen a recent show by either? Danko Jones has a reputation for putting on great stage shows.

Also, great shots, Sharizard. I especially like the keyboard-in-profile, it's cool to see the stage from the side like that.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Cool, thanks. If I don't hear from a person from the organization I'll just show up with my camera and ask at the door. If they say no, I guess my camera can be hidden in my jacket at the coat check. Hmmm... typing that makes me a little worried, coat check racks are not exactly bank vaults. Doors at 7:30, show at 8:00 and I live about a 15 walk away, so if they say no I might just zip back home to drop off my camera. Thinking out loud here.

The show I most want to go to is The Watchmen (Jan 28) but I'm considering Danko Jones Jan 23 - has anybody seen a recent show by either? Danko Jones has a reputation for putting on great stage shows.

Also, great shots, Sharizard. I especially like the keyboard-in-profile, it's cool to see the stage from the side like that.

I've been doing the same so far. Smaller bar/club like venues mind you. Went to one that specifically said no video/photography allowed on their website. Showed up with my camera anyways after not hearing back from them. Staff had no problem with me using my camera.

Albums are up from last night

July https://flic.kr/s/aHskpowLj2
First Ghost https://flic.kr/s/aHsksR6swL
Curses https://flic.kr/s/aHsksF8Bn3
Sextape https://flic.kr/s/aHsksFbdeU
Parkside https://flic.kr/s/aHsksJ7nma

Horrid pure blue LED lighting at times, enough it was messing with my eyes, let alone the camera. Still fun though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Most small venues don't give a poo poo. Really, it's more up to the promoter than anything as to who can and can't take photos and most small show promoters would gladly jump at the chance for some free publicity as long you're cool with them reposting a photo on Facebook or whatever.

Honestly, security at small venues are more concerned if you're bringing in booze or weapons when they're going around checking bags at the door.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Trip report: Awesomeness.

The venue never got back to my email. At the door, guy #1 didn't care about my camera, just my ID, guy #2 didn't care about my camera, just my ticket, and guy #3 - I think one of the owners - barely looked at it and just said "sure!" when I asked "OK if I take some pictures?". There was another photog there, a much more professional-looking guy with two bodies wearing lenses on criss-crossed straps across his torso. We exchanged nods as I walked in.

The place is perfect for what I wanted to do - lots of room to move around, nobody minds if I pop up and shoot a few frames, and the lighting was consistently on the performers. I could get *very* close to the people on stage, too. I took only my 28/2.8 and my 105/2.5, and the highest I had to push the ISO was about 4000 a few times. Mostly I could keep it at f/4, 1/125, ISO 2000. So far I've gotten through my shots of the opening act, East of Avenue, and I've started on the ~500 pictures (~300 were instantly recognizable as garbage) I took of The Watchmen.

East of Avenue at Maxwell's 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
East of Avenue at Maxwell's 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
East of Avenue at Maxwell's 9 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
East of Avenue at Maxwell's 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
East of Avenue at Maxwell's 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I think keyboard players are the hardest performers to take good pictures of. They just don't emote in quite the same photogenic way that singers or guitarists seem to do. It's harder to look cool at a keyboard than with a guitar around your neck, I think.

East of Avenue at Maxwell's 15 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Straight out of camera (after a run through Lightroom, but no adjustments made in LR).

East of Avenue at Maxwell's 20 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

ExecuDork posted:

I think keyboard players are the hardest performers to take good pictures of. They just don't emote in quite the same photogenic way that singers or guitarists seem to do. It's harder to look cool at a keyboard than with a guitar around your neck, I think.

you're just shooting the wrong keyboard players

Blank Realm

Battles

High Tension

Majical Cloudz

METZ

HEALTH

Royal Headache

Battles

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Obligatory audience snapshot that is wholly meaningless to pretty much everyone except the photographer.

I hacked some Portra 400 DX codes and pushed it to 1600 for my Stylus Epic. Worked out pretty good. Converted to BW because the color wasn't anything great.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

What did the original crop of this look like? It would have been cool to see more of what was above / below the band.

Glad everything went smoothly, btw. I see in the exif that you're using a Pentax K-5. How do you like it for low light stuff? I rented the Pentax K-5 II just to try it out and possibly buy one used for dirt cheap. It's pretty alright, but I don't know if I should just aim for the K-3 II instead.

Pretty dope! I love the lighting and his pose. Really hoping he played both instruments at once.

BANME.sh posted:

I hacked some Portra 400 DX codes and pushed it to 1600 for my Stylus Epic. Worked out pretty good. Converted to BW because the color wasn't anything great.

Super jealous that you were able to see Ween. Also, snapshots are fine, cool, and fun. As for the film -- I'm terrified of using film at a show. I know I'm going to decimate that roll if I try, for sure. (Or maybe not. I'd rather not risk it.) I'm not very brave.

I have some bad pics of good times. I think I am reaching the point where I need to get a new camera. I'm starting to become a little frustrated with certain low light situations, but on the flip side, I enjoy the constraints. My skills aren't that great, and what I'm attributing to gear barrier may actually just be a skill barrier.

Terrior @ Reggie's Music Joint by Shara Miller, on Flickr

Wad @ Township by Shara Miller, on Flickr

Horse Massage @ Emporium Arcade Bar by Shara Miller, on Flickr

Daymaker @ Burlington Bar by Shara Miller, on Flickr

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 26, 2016

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
So, the lack of shows being made available to me to shoot for my past outlet, so I teamed up with another local photographer to start a new blog for that kinda stuff. Forgot how much I enjoy writing, however much of a word vomit it becomes: https://www.tinnitusnottinea.com

Got a few local acts over the weekend:

is it hotlinking if it's from my own Squarespace account?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I, Butthole posted:

https://www.tinnitusnottinea.com

is it hotlinking if it's from my own Squarespace account?

I dunno about that, but I get an "untrusted connection" when I click on your link.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ExecuDork posted:

I dunno about that, but I get an "untrusted connection" when I click on your link.

The certificate hasn't been set up properly. Fire your IT guy.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

The certificate hasn't been set up properly. Fire your IT guy.

That's odd, it wasn't doing that two days ago but is doing that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Working on uploading galleries for the last couple of shows from my U2 tour last year. If anybody can be bothered to flip through this one I'd appreciate critique on the collection as a whole, if anything feels really redundant or particularly weak it'd be good to know.

The point of these galleries is less to serve up strong stand-alone images and primarily to document each of the shows as a whole. Each show may have a couple of shots I'd actually consider portfolio-worthy and the rest just support the narrative if you will. I also tend to throw some extras in for friends who may be in the crowd. At the same time I'm trying to keep in the back of my mind (as I always try to) that if the subject/band were to see these photos would I be happy enough with them each individually out of context. A few admittedly make the band members look old, but hey, they are... this is documentary.

http://www.justin-kent.com/u2-dublin-3/