Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Nice Orion's Arms art.

God, I hope somebody found that funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tricky D posted:

The closest thing we've had to a true believer in this thread was the guy who suggested that bitcoin was a viable option for smuggling money out of Argentina and he vehemently denied being a bitcoiner.

Did Seraph ever show up in here? He was either a true believer or an elaborate crazy person

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Did Seraph ever show up in here? He was either a true believer or an elaborate crazy person

these are the exact same thing

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/is-bitcoin-under-attack-spam-fees-block-size-debate

quote:

“There is an uptick in correlated transactions in the lower fee strata,” Garzik wrote me in an email. “This would seem to imply that a single wallet or set of wallets is potentially sending the same coins over and over, to themselves. This may be innocent transaction activity, coin ‘tumbling,’ or an unknown actor paying transaction fees to load the bitcoin network with traffic.”

Traveling Salesman
Nov 27, 2007

Merchant of Death
The only reason that I would ever consider using Bitcoin is for the anonymity of it. However, I could never figure out how to get it without:

a) linking my bank account to a bitcoin exchange 😩 (Not gonna happen)

b) buying overpriced "rigs" to mine it 🙈 (gently caress you, I'll keep my money)

I swear, the guy who figures out how to mine coins using an excersize bike will sell them (for real money) and make a mint. (The bikes not the coins.) HumanCoin any one? 😏

I've seen a trend of people buying things and having their money taken/taking their money back. Wouldn't it make more sense for a Bitcoin market place to preauthorize the transaction, hold the bitcoin and then release it only after both parties have been satisfied? Anyone caught reversing transactions could be banned. Accounts could be on a pay-to-play model where if someone wanted to rip off others they'd at least have to shill-out for it. Maybe it already exists, I don't know.
Eh, buttcoin sucks.😂

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A central authority controlling the flow of money? Sounds like a bank. Are you a banker? You have to tell us if you're a banker, its the law.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Traveling Salesman posted:

I swear, the guy who figures out how to mine coins using an excersize bike will sell them (for real money) and make a mint. (The bikes not the coins.) HumanCoin any one? 😏

You've discovered the real reason humanity was enslaved forever in The Matrix

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.

I've seen a trend of people buying things and having their money taken/taking their money back. Wouldn't it make more sense for a Bitcoin market place to preauthorize the transaction, hold the bitcoin and then release it only after both parties have been satisfied? Anyone caught reversing transactions could be banned. Accounts could be on a pay-to-play model where if someone wanted to rip off others they'd at least have to shill-out for it. Maybe it already exists, I don't know.
Eh, buttcoin sucks.😂

There's no charge backs in Bitcoin - maybe there's bugs that allow people to take their bitcoins back but that doesn't count because it's a known issue that'll get solved eventually when everyone agrees that it's an issue and agrees on a solution.

People can take your Bitcoin and not give you your weed or amazon vouchers but that's the free market in action. Hell if someone steals my bitcoins then fair play to them if I could steal theirs I would !

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

The only reason that I would ever consider using Bitcoin is for the anonymity of it. However, I could never figure out how to get it without:

a) linking my bank account to a bitcoin exchange 😩 (Not gonna happen)

b) buying overpriced "rigs" to mine it 🙈 (gently caress you, I'll keep my money)

The way to buy bitcoins without linking them to your bank account is Local Bitcoins or google "your city + bitcoin atm" (contrary to goon belief, bitcoin ATMs do not just eat your money and tell you to gently caress off). You don't use it to buy bitcoins from some other dude face to face. You use it to find ATMs or online offers. So someone On The Internet might be offering to sell bitcoins for Moneygram. You go to some place that sends moneygrams, put down a bunch of completely bullshit personal details, send the dude money, he picks up the money and sends you bitcoins.

However, real anonymity requires a lot more effort.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CabaretVoltaire posted:

There's no charge backs in Bitcoin - maybe there's bugs that allow people to take their bitcoins back but that doesn't count because it's a known issue that'll get solved eventually when everyone agrees that it's an issue and agrees on a solution.

People can take your Bitcoin and not give you your weed or amazon vouchers but that's the free market in action. Hell if someone steals my bitcoins then fair play to them if I could steal theirs I would !

That's actually changed, the developers added the ability to overwrite an old transaction with a new one so long as it isn't confirmed yet. So you could "pay" with a low fee, receive whatever you bought, and then submit a higher fee transaction that redirects the payment back to yourself.

And some professor recently published a technique for "burning" bitcoins, which would allow the person holding them effectively run a chargeback. This is intended as an anti-hacking measure, but instead of getting your money back immediately you wind up moving the bitcoins back and forth between you and the thief until one of you gets tired and gives up. Naturally no one would ever use this in a legitimate transaction because

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

The way to buy bitcoins without linking them to your bank account is Local Bitcoins or google "your city + bitcoin atm" (contrary to goon belief, bitcoin ATMs do not just eat your money and tell you to gently caress off). You don't use it to buy bitcoins from some other dude face to face. You use it to find ATMs or online offers. So someone On The Internet might be offering to sell bitcoins for Moneygram. You go to some place that sends moneygrams, put down a bunch of completely bullshit personal details, send the dude money, he picks up the money and sends you bitcoins.

However, real anonymity requires a lot more effort.

The correct way to use local bitcoins is to show up with a trash bag full of gift cards instead of cash, or possibly a Tactical Club

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.

QuarkJets posted:

That's actually changed, the developers added the ability to overwrite an old transaction with a new one so long as it isn't confirmed yet. So you could "pay" with a low fee, receive whatever you bought, and then submit a higher fee transaction that redirects the payment back to yourself.

What's the reason behind that?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CabaretVoltaire posted:

What's the reason behind that?
They wanted a user directed way to adjust garbage transactions with too little of a transaction fee that otherwise sit in purgatory until some predetermined timeout. Which if it sounds spurious, that's because it is since the original compromise is the timeout.

If you take the backbone principles of bitcoin as solid and good, everything to do with transaction fees make it so user hostile that it is nuts anyone thinks using bitcoin in day to day use would be good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Right, there was a desire to let people overwrite old transactions with a higher fee so that you wouldn't be making GBS threads up the blockchain with low-fee never-processed transactions. As with everything Bitcoin, the implemented solution was not fully thought through

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That snippet of try/except code that did nothing and continued with no notification if the transaction failed is my favorite Bitcoin solution

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
I don't get why bitcoin is so poo poo especially with these recent issues. There are 2 major players in the btc game that I see:
China, where money is moved out of the country to circumvent law
Drugs, obvious purpose
Both of these represent big money and interest in keeping bitcoin viable.

So why is there all this poo poo like terrible bitcoin development decisions and poo poo like "30k uncomfirmed txes" going on? You'd think with the amount of money being moved through these systems either the Chinese or dealers would have some influence to try and stop it failing simply due to incompetance???

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
like surely with the volume of cash flowing through someone like a wealthy Chinese or wealthy dealer would try to put someone in a position of veto or at least to try and stop the awful decisions implemented

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Doesn't Bitcoin Classic have concessions made to keep the Chinese miners happy

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Eh, buttcoin sucks.😂

It's called escrow, this actually did happen and was the business model for a couple of silk road v2.0 type marketplaces. Only once the people running the market realised that they had a shitload of other people's butts in escrow accounts they controlled, they took the butts for themselves and ran.

See also: exchanges getting "hacked", thermos soliciting donations for " forum software ", or any other bitcoin venture that involves someone being given control over a lot of other people's butts

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Crack posted:

like surely with the volume of cash flowing through someone like a wealthy Chinese or wealthy dealer would try to put someone in a position of veto or at least to try and stop the awful decisions implemented

Well, let's think about those groups

1) By "wealthy Chinese" you mean the small group of miners that convert Chinese electricity into effectively-international Bitcoin. But since they're miners, they don't give a poo poo about whether or not transaction processing makes sense, all that they care about is earning bitcoins for discovering blocks. "Replace by fee" (where you can basically easily run a chargeback on any transaction) drives up the average transaction fee. A huge number of unconfirmed transactions drives up the average transaction fee. A process by which you can "burn" bitcoins drives up the average transaction fee. Miners prefer higher fees, so they have no reason to oppose any of this (in fact, they have an incentive to support literally any change that increases fees).

WhyteRyce is correct, Bitcoin Classic basically had its design dictated by miners in China. The idea was to increase the block size in order to cram more transactions into a block, which miners would prefer, but they don't want the size to be too big because of bandwidth limitations. So they basically figured out how big the size could be without screwing over the Chinese miners.

2) "Drugs" represents an enormous and diverse group of people. Websites where you can sell bitcoins for drugs have been hilariously inept at security, likely resulting in far more arrests than in a universe where bitcoin never existed. So the wealthiest people in the drug trade who aren't already in jail due to using bitcoin don't want anything to do with bitcoin, since it represents a public ledger of literally every transaction ever, and associating identities to bitcoin addresses isn't actually that hard (unless you hold onto your bitcoins forever and never spend them).

Also, bitcoins really only enable the digital sale of drugs, which is hard to do without some sort of pseudo-anonymous currency. This doesn't really help a cocaine manufacturer in Argentina, since their primary problem isn't the sale of drugs but rather the delivery of drugs. It's a way to more easily connect dealers to users, producers don't really give a poo poo so long as they continue to get paid. Some wealthy mega-dealer might care, but they're probably in jail right now or had all of their butts stolen by a drug exchange shutting down and aren't rich anymore

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
You make some good points, and I agree mostly, apart from that maybe the operators of the drug markets care a lot more than the dealers themselves and have a vested interest in keeping it stable.

However, other than these two groups, what are the major uses of bitcoin? I cannot think of a situation other than trying to get money out of china or trying to buy / sell drugs to use bitcoin, and if I could I don't know how I would do it. So who is making the decisions around developing bitcoin / using it?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Crack posted:

You make some good points, and I agree mostly, apart from that maybe the operators of the drug markets care a lot more than the dealers themselves and have a vested interest in keeping it stable.

However, other than these two groups, what are the major uses of bitcoin? I cannot think of a situation other than trying to get money out of china or trying to buy / sell drugs to use bitcoin, and if I could I don't know how I would do it. So who is making the decisions around developing bitcoin / using it?

Early adopters desperately wanting to believe it's the "internet of money" that will make them rich beyond imagining.

That's why every decision is so painstakingly scrutinized. They imagine the stakes to be immeasurably high, but bitcoin is irrevocably broken, so they all (rightly) see massive flaws in everyone else's implementation.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

It's an al fresco laboratory environment to stress test human nature. Apparently we're good at ...

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Tricky D posted:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/is-bitcoin-under-attack-spam-fees-block-size-debate
"This would seem to imply that a single wallet or set of wallets is potentially sending the same coins over and over, to themselves. This may be innocent transaction activity, coin ‘tumbling,’ or an unknown actor paying transaction fees to load the bitcoin network with traffic.”

Its cool that money laundering is their perfectly innocent and omnipresent background noise

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Crack posted:

Why? They can use literally any cryptocurrency, they don't have to use bitcoin. The same can't be said of the miners

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: Verge posted a story about the network transaction processing maxing out and the drama over the fork and people are saying it's not that big a deal just pay a higher transaction fee to get your stuff processed quick

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol: Verge posted a story about the network transaction processing maxing out and the drama over the fork and people are saying it's not that big a deal just pay a higher transaction fee to get your stuff processed quick

no fees*

*frequent fees, that would get more expensive if anybody actually used bitcoin. nb: regular banks have no fees for simple transfers but then you don't get to be your own bank®

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Can we please mock the idiot bitcoiners delusion that BTC is going to take over the world without trying to feel smug about how bad the design is?

I mean, cash doesn't scale either, that's why banks and credit card companies exist. The actual concept behind Bitcoin is incredibly novel and groundbreaking, even if the entire ecosystem surrounding it isn't.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I own 1 BTC that I'm waiting for the NWO to cash in

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

revmoo posted:

Can we please mock the idiot bitcoiners delusion that BTC is going to take over the world without trying to feel smug about how bad the design is?

No

It's all low hanging fruit, every last bit of it, everything is up for grabs. It's a poo poo system with a poo poo design used by poo poo people for poo poo.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

revmoo posted:

I mean, cash doesn't scale either, that's why banks and credit card companies exist. The actual concept behind Bitcoin is incredibly novel and groundbreaking, even if the entire ecosystem surrounding it isn't.

Introduction time!

"I think you have met everyone here. Well, there's also revmoo the Bitcoiner but he's shy."
"But he's the President of the United States. Why do they call him revmoo the Bitcoiner?"
"Well, laddie, if you touch a Bitcoin even once..."

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

revmoo posted:

No it isn't you loving idiot. It's a database. It's the world's worst most inefficient database with a ton of screwy rear end behavior that wastes a mind boggling amount of electricity to do something any device accessing this forum could do by itself.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

revmoo posted:

I hope you didn't actually touch the poop.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
? it's an interesting proof of concept that has legs but a lot of basic flaws that render it unsuitable for actual use. that is different from 'just a database durrrrrr why dont htey just install mongodb'

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It's a database, that's all it boils down to. The only "neat" thing about it is any idiot can write to it. Which every idiot has done.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

LethalGeek posted:

It's a database, that's all it boils down to. The only "neat" thing about it is any idiot can write to it. Which every idiot has done.

Well now let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. There's a LOT of idiots out there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SumYungGui posted:

Well now let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. There's a LOT of idiots out there.

3 idiots per second is all it can handle

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

LethalGeek posted:

All bitcoiners are idiots but not all idiots are bitcoiners

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Quote-Unquote posted:

All bitcoiners are idiots but not all idiots are bitcoiners

But they are all potential bitcoiners, so I guess you can say bitcoin has a lot of potential!

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
A crypto-currency like Bitcoin is every bit (ha!) as much a currency as a crypto-zoologist is a zoologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

revmoo posted:

The actual concept behind Bitcoin is incredibly novel and groundbreaking

What bits of it do you think are novel or groundbreaking ?

Oh and to pre-empt the usual it doesn't solve the byzantine generals problem.

• Locked thread