Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Naturally Selected posted:

A game that expressly never even had so much as a sanity check, let alone an anti-cheat solution implemented. Yeah that's definitely gonna be the case with all the other games on PC, as well :v:

To be fair the fact that a Japanese dev even made a PC version was crazy unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tenzarin posted:

Cant wait too see how good it is when I set my health to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 with cheat engine. Does fairfight check the registers? is the character data stored server side or on my computer?

Easy. Multiple ways...When the game checks your HP for whatever reason it sees your level and sees gently caress off amounts of HP on a level 30 character when with all the other 30s the max HP the game saw at that level with that gear or stats was 500,000. It's an outlier and it triggers anti cheat.

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013

Tamayachi posted:

Aww yeah, another 9pm unlock for the West Coast

WEST COAST BEST COAST.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dexo posted:

Easy. Multiple ways...When the game checks your HP for whatever reason it sees your level and sees gently caress off amounts of HP on a level 30 character when with all the other 30s the max HP the game saw at that level with that gear or stats was 500,000. It's an outlier and it triggers anti cheat.

So errors in their software could trigger anti cheat, that doesn't sound right. I bet its just checking for injections.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 2, 2016

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Snostorm posted:

WEST COAST BEST COAST.

8PM for me. Alaska coast is the best coast!

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

So errors in their software could trigger anti cheat, that doesn't would right. I bet its just checking for injections.

That's not how fairfight works, as has been pointed out like a dozen times in this thread alone. They might have injector detection as well, but FF works on a completely different level.

Ostrava posted:

To be fair the fact that a Japanese dev even made a PC version was crazy unusual.

It's still a poo poo comparison point, though.

E: How's the situation in R6 Siege? Hadn't played it, but that's probably using the same kind of countermeasures as The Division is going to be on a macro level.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 2, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tenzarin posted:

So errors in their software could trigger anti cheat, that doesn't would right. I bet its just checking for injections.

Fairfight literally has nothing to do with the clients. It does no checking of programs that are being run client side. Only information on the data that gets sent to the servers.

And it requires either a comical overstep of the bounds of the game. I.E setting health or gun damage to out of bounds ranges, Or a ton of irregular data points to actually execute a ban.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
I hope NZ gets a 2hr headstart on Australia, but it's not looking likely I think, esp with dedicated outback servers

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

So errors in their software could trigger anti cheat, that doesn't sound right. I bet its just checking for injections.

First time I saw it in action was when they deployed it to bf4 and it caught people who were glitching to reach places you normally can't access. It's pretty smart.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
According to how fairfight is working for rainbow6 siege, sounds like its not working at all. "everyone is a hacker" is basically what they are saying.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Naturally Selected posted:

I gotta ask since this keeps getting brought up.... where are these ravening hordes of hackers, exactly? Outside of lovely F2P games I don't think I've seen blatant hacking for more than 30 seconds in a game in years. Or are people just taking every OMG U KILL ME U HAX comment seriously, cause poo poo, then yeah literally every semi-decent shooter player on PC is definitely a hacker and it's a massive problem.

PB was a pain in the dick to work with, but it did it's job decently enough, and now with Fairfight/VAC it's really drat rare to see people pulling that poo poo.

People are really terrible at figuring out when people are actually cheating. It's a lot easier, I think, to believe that someone cheated than it is to accept that some people have played a lot of video games and have developed reflexes/situational awareness that are vastly superior to yours.

The only game in which I observed total and unrepentant cheating was WarZ, if that means anything to anyone. And the only reason I know that literally everyone was doing it in that game was because I was, too. Everyone had an ESP hack, at the very least, and as a result, everyone just stood around staring at one another through walls. Devs implemented an anticheat (PB and Fairfight both, I think), and shockingly, practically all cheating disappeared. They later pulled the anticheat, with predictable results.

tl;dr: The anticheat should work fine. Maybe you'll get hit by a hacker every once in a while, but that's life. Sorry about your scarf.

Oh, I also figure that the rogue mechanics actually help with this, too. If you go rogue, everyone effectively gets ESP on you. Thus, even as a rogue, short of using an aimbot or something, there's not much you can do to get an edge on victims, since you'll at best have information parity with opponents. And an aimbot will get caught pretty fast, I imagine. And if you're not rogue, the impact of any hacks you use are pretty limited.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Edit: ^^ Aimbots and anything that touches Accuracy and mouse movements will get absolutely torched by Fairfight.

Mostly Fairfight isn't unbeatable, but it will stop the majority of the dumb hackers, who just open up cheat engine, or find a hack on a website and use it.

Mostly any visual hack(wall hacks, etc etc) won't get detected unless you change up your playstyle because of said information advantage. If you can "play like you are being spectated" even though you have knowledge you shouldn't have then It will take way longer or be impossible to be detected.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 2, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dexo posted:

who just open up cheat engine

No anti-cheat looks at running programs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

No anti-cheat looks at running programs.

Eh? What is the point you are trying to make.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dexo posted:

Eh? What is the point you are trying to make.

You can leave cheat engine running.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

You can leave cheat engine running.

Sure, but anything you change in Cheat Engine will most likely be detected by Fairfight when it hits the server.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dexo posted:

Sure, but anything you change in Cheat Engine will most likely be detected by Fairfight when it hits the server.

How do you know?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

How do you know?

Name something you can change or do in Cheat Engine in this game and I will tell you how Fairfight would likely detect it and flag your account.

I've already told you about changing HP figures. Mostly any cheat involving the changing of anything governed by stats will get instantly detected the second you send out of wack data to the server and isn't even worth considering.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dexo posted:

Name something you can change or do in Cheat Engine in this game and I will tell you how Fairfight would likely detect it and flag your account.

I've already told you about changing HP figures. Mostly any cheat involving the changing of anything governed by stats will get instantly detected the second you send out of wack data to the server and isn't even worth considering.

Are you an engineer working on this project? Do you have some magic insight into their proprietary software? If not, what the hell are you talking about here

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

quote:

How does FairFight Work?

Fairfight uses two overlapping and mutually supportive approaches to identify cheaters: algorithmic analysis of player statistics and server-side cheat detection. FairFight uses algorithmic models to evaluate gameplay against multiple statistical markers to identify cheating as it occurs. FairFight crosschecks these indicators using objective server-side reporting tools. It takes action when both approaches correlate to cheating - and because you establish FairFight's tolerances and the in-game actions to be taken against the hacker, you are in control of your game like never before.

Algorithmic Analysis of Player Statistics (AAPS) compares each player's game play statistics across an array of performance measures and compares them against averages derived from all of the gamers playing your game. FairFight uses the results of these comparisons to find statistical anomalies that correlate strongly to the use of cheats.

In order that highly skilled players are not erroneously flagged as cheats, FairFight uses Server Side Cheat Detection (SSCD) to cross-compare results. FairFight's SSCD monitors the game state in real time, scanning gameplay data of your choice for events and conditions which are not possible (or that are exceedingly improbable) to achieve without the use of hacks. For example, in a given first person shooter it may be impossible for a weapon to kill (or even hit) a player over 200 yards. When FairFight sees this occur it automatically records it as a validation of any anomalous AAPS findings. With the validation event in place, FairFight will take any number of actions that you have selected, and it will do so when you want it to (immediately, after a delay, player join . . . .) FairFight's combined AAPS and SSCD approaches offer the best cheat detection and suppression tool in the industry - and it functions in real-time.

FairFight's customizable GameChanger rule engine and graduated punishment system can be modified throughout the course of a title's life, allowing you to Make it a FairFight™ for everyone all the time. Publishers can 'harden' or 'soften' detection thresholds and ban penalties, and add or eliminate statistical measures to meet their needs. For incorrigible hackers, FairFight maintains a Suspension List that is regularly updated with players flagged as 'cheaters'. 'Watch lists' can be created for continuous and even closer automated or manual monitoring. Temporary and permanent suspensions can be imposed, and, depending on your desire, 'hackers' can be barred on a single title or across multiple titles.

Since FairFight is a server side system, integrating FairFight into your game will be seamless. In other words, we won't screw up your game. Also, since FairFight is connected only via the API, if we ever have a connectivity or security problem (and we go to great lengths so we don't) the gameplay on your title should continue unaffected while we get reset.

More info on how this work can be read at https://gameblocks.com/faqs - Seems there is fairfight and watchdog and they work together or whatever.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Slanderer posted:

Are you an engineer working on this project? Do you have some magic insight into their proprietary software? If not, what the hell are you talking about here

Fairfight isn't proprietary software lol. It's a middleware that a ton of games use, with a ton of information out there about how it works.

Edit: Or Look above me.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Slanderer posted:

...how fairlight works is pretty open knowledge

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Wang posted:

Anyone who ordered the logitch 810 off amazon. How long did it take to get your promo code for the free copy?

I know this post was a few days ago. I ordered this keyboard from Logitech itself. The code was on a small flyer inside the box. I entered it on Logitech's website and was emailed a game code (to enter into uplay) instantly.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Tenzarin posted:

According to how fairfight is working for rainbow6 siege, sounds like its not working at all. "everyone is a hacker" is basically what they are saying.

Everybody cries hacker in siege but its really just netcode, i honestly can't say i've seen a hacker in the game and i've played 50 hours or more of it.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
I can't wait for 3/8/16 but I feel like this game has an incredibly annoying "feature". Why can't I inspect other players? Why can't I show this dude in my group the weapon I just picked up? Is this ability going to ruin my "dark zone" or PVE experience? It makes no sense in a game all about loot discovery and customization to not allow the basic ability to check what someone else is using...

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I see this thread is still haunted by edgelords too thick to comprehend the results of basic google searches. RIP goons the posting quality on this site is now on par with gamefaqs.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Chim posted:

I can't wait for 3/8/16 but I feel like this game has an incredibly annoying "feature". Why can't I inspect other players? Why can't I show this dude in my group the weapon I just picked up? Is this ability going to ruin my "dark zone" or PVE experience? It makes no sense in a game all about loot discovery and customization to not allow the basic ability to check what someone else is using...

Uh, maybe I a remembering it wrong, but I am pretty sure if you went up to someone in the DZ and hit tab (after prompt comes up so you don't melee them and go rogue) it would inspect them and show you their poo poo. Button is obviously different for console..

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Chim posted:

jesus christ

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Deakul posted:

jesus christ

We come full circle every two or three pages at this rate.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

jesus christ

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

I've got an Injection for ya if you keep up this poo poo up

Pound_Coin posted:

...how fairlight works is pretty open knowledge

But how do you KNOW???

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Chim posted:

Why can't I show this dude in my group the weapon I just picked up?
Printscreen or Share button

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

More info on how this work can be read at https://gameblocks.com/faqs - Seems there is fairfight and watchdog and they work together or whatever.

I'll have to take your word on it

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Dandywalken posted:

I've got an Injection for ya if you keep up this poo poo up

Careful, if you disagree with him too much he'll start whining about "the cult" being out to get him and stuff.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Any one have a full breakdown on the solo single player? Or is this game really just Co-Op PVE/PVP or bust?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BexGu posted:

Any one have a full breakdown on the solo single player? Or is this game really just Co-Op PVE/PVP or bust?

It should be totally Single Player doable in theory. You can make content scale to your level if its too easy or w/e (Hard Mode), or just vanilla with its basic level settings.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'd imagine you can do the whole campaign solo but to get true end-game gear you're going to need to go into pvp zones.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MagnumOpus posted:

I see this thread is still haunted by edgelords too thick to comprehend the results of basic google searches. RIP goons the posting quality on this site is now on par with gamefaqs.

Has it ever been better, though?

E: It's pretty cool to read about cheat detection though. In all my experiences with it, FF seems so much better than the bad old days of "Reinstall PBsvcA 5 times, restart computer, pray to your choice of deity, reinstall PB completely, restart, pray it again, stop playing game for a month".

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 2, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

I'd imagine you can do the whole campaign solo but to get true end-game gear you're going to need to go into pvp zones.

Which can be done solo too. So win-win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ice Fist posted:

Which can be done solo too. So win-win.

I do kind of wonder how it will be in the DZ as a lone guy being basic easy prey for any 4 person group. Hopefully the servers keep a good balance between loners and grouped people.

• Locked thread