Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i kind of wish they'd bring back the assassinate ruler/heir option you could do in EU3 for espionage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

MuffinsAndPie posted:

It looks like there's a chance that Paradox is going to change up espionage ideas again, looking at all of these nice looking added options.

There was a dev diary on espionage in Mare Nostrum, so we knew about those (though Corrupt Officials and Steal Maps were not named in it).

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
That's what the diplo screen needs, a shitload of new options to scroll through

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Should I bother with Exploration in a Bengal Tiger run? Putting some colonies up in Indonesia could help make me more rich by allowing me to get some casus belli's down there, letting me conquer more land and send more trade to Bengal, thus making me more rich and able to conquer my way over the Samarkand. However, it is completely the wrong direction and I am really inclined to take Admin ideas to make conquering other things (and anything) more viable. I could also do Humanist to double down on my national ideas but I have not had any problems at all with revolts so that would seem....inefficient.

Otherwise, is there a historical basis behind the Bengal Tiger achievement or is there something I am missing with a reference?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 2, 2016

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

kojei posted:

I will not rest until there is miraculous categorization of every different subtype of insult I can send to a country, each with unique modifiers and fully implemented AI interaction.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

VerdantSquire posted:

I will not rest until there is miraculous categorization of every different subtype of insult I can send to a country, each with unique modifiers and fully implemented AI interaction.

I would like to engage in a rap battle with foreign monarchs.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Insults v
  • standard
  • rap battle
  • yo momma

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jeoh posted:

I think you'll find that under "commission embarrassing play".

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
You've been discovered fabricating jokes in the thread and have suffered a decrease in opinion of you

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

kojei posted:

Click on a section header to collapse it.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Bort Bortles posted:

Should I bother with Exploration in a Bengal Tiger run? Putting some colonies up in Indonesia could help make me more rich by allowing me to get some casus belli's down there, letting me conquer more land and send more trade to Bengal, thus making me more rich and able to conquer my way over the Samarkand. However, it is completely the wrong direction and I am really inclined to take Admin ideas to make conquering other things (and anything) more viable. I could also do Humanist to double down on my national ideas but I have not had any problems at all with revolts so that would seem....inefficient.

Otherwise, is there a historical basis behind the Bengal Tiger achievement or is there something I am missing with a reference?

I colonized in my run for the extra money. Yeah its the wrong direction but it's not like you need to go all that far west to hit Samarkand. You'll have plenty of time for both.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Click on a section header to collapse it.

That's even more obnoxious than scrolling

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Kersch posted:

You've been discovered fabricating jokes in the thread and have suffered a decrease in opinion of you

Does that mean FYAD is the HRE?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bort Bortles posted:

No historical basis for it, other than than that Timurid successors did eventually conquer Bengal (along with the rest of India), I think it's just a fun easy-ish achievement.

Take Admin first, the admin points are more important and there's plenty of riches to be had in India - stack Goods Produced for comical income levels - but Explo is solid for a second choice. Humanist is good because you will eventually start hitting Religious Unity issues, but you could go Religious too for the CB and just convert stuff. Consider doing Silk Road at the same time if you haven't, Bengal is ideally situated for that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Something about the new diplomacy system has made it really easy for great powers to forge long-lasting alliances with each other, and it's making it really difficult to play a small to moderate sized nation. I just had Austria, France, and Poland all decide to gang up on me as Brandenburg, with barely 100 total development to my name.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My guess is it's the AI being less likely to break alliances while having high trust, and the way they assign provinces of strategic interest.

AI's are really likely to honour defensive calls even at their extreme detriment, which builds trust, and that trust means they won't rival each other. Then the choice of strategic interest provinces seems to be mostly "all of my rivals provinces, excepting those already claimed by allies", so the alliances don't break that way either.

Even missions don't seem to do it; with AI Russia I quite often see they have the 'Conquer Ryazan/Tver' mission, and the target will be an enclave of Russia, but they're allied, and Russia just won't break that alliance.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 2, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Players complain about the AI breaking alliances with them too easily.

Paradox revamps diplomacy to make alliances more stable and long-lasting.

Players complain powerful AI alliances are now more stable and long-lasting.

I don't pretend to know what solution would actually make the greatest number of people happy here but it's still pretty funny. Maybe they should bring back the steep modifier against allying with other major powers but people complained about that too.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sindai posted:

I don't pretend to know what solution would actually make the greatest number of people happy here but it's still pretty funny. Maybe they should bring back the steep modifier against allying with other major powers but people complained about that too.

The AI still breaks alliances as much as before with the player, from my experience so far. I had 90 trust with the Ottomans and they took the mission for Levant and broke our alliance, even though our relations were above 100.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sindai posted:

I don't pretend to know what solution would actually make the greatest number of people happy here but it's still pretty funny.

What I find pretty funny is that with a thread with maybe 20-30 active posters in it, some readers still can't distinguish individual perspectives and feel the need to lump those 20-30 individuals into an aggregate.

Yeah dude, the thread is like a council that meets every week and makes declarations, like "make alliances more stable." When Paradox does what we want, we often find ourselves surprised by the results! It's a lot like a Genie and wishes, you see...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jeoh posted:

You're just killing the enemy, that's lazy.
I kill my own people, I'm that crazy.
I go berserk and my eyes go glazy.
I get so mad I could stab a daisy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tsyni posted:

The AI still breaks alliances as much as before with the player, from my experience so far. I had 90 trust with the Ottomans and they took the mission for Levant and broke our alliance, even though our relations were above 100.

There's also the fact that your allies will almost always answer a defensive call to arms from your enemies if they're allied, no matter how high your trust is.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sindai posted:

You arent wrong. For me I just want some balance and something resembling historical outcomes. By "historical outcomes" I mean "plays how how something in a similar situation in real life would have", which I know is pretty demanding.

I have brought it up in this thread because generally in history large powers were out for themselves and trying to stop other countries from becoming large powers like themselves. In EU4 right now, large powers are programmed to ally mostly with powers their size, and because of the new mechanics that Pitt points out, they stay allied and help each other get bigger.

Rakthar posted:

What I find pretty funny is that with a thread with maybe 20-30 active posters in it, some readers still can't distinguish individual perspectives and feel the need to lump those 20-30 individuals into an aggregate.

Yeah dude, the thread is like a council that meets every week and makes declarations, like "make alliances more stable." When Paradox does what we want, we often find ourselves surprised by the results! It's a lot like a Genie and wishes, you see...
This is a pretty funny point :golfclap:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

There's also the fact that your allies will almost always answer a defensive call to arms from your enemies if they're allied, no matter how high your trust is.

This has caused me lots of grief, but I think it's probably better if the aggressor doesn't get more of an advantage. Without this I think game-play would change a lot and possibly be even blobbier.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

:shrug:

I don't know that the Paradox devs really take our griping that seriously.

Personally I think the big problem is that alliances are with people you like, rather than targeted against people you hate.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Personally I think the big problem is that alliances are with people you like, rather than targeted against people you hate.
This would be a nice change.

edit: Its funny because that would be the perfect way to help reign growing players (and AI) in - have external threats band together in defensive alliances that are less game breaking than coalitions. As Austria I should not need a ton of AE from the Ottomans to want to join a group of like-minded states that want to keep them hemmed in.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 2, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Of course then you also have to come up with a way to negotiate the spoils. Let's say I as England and AI Burgundy team up to wreck France; I declare war and just let Burgundy do most of the work, I'd be free to award myself stuff, and just give Burgundy nothing, because gently caress those guys, they won't ally with me against anyone else anyway.

I don't know whether you have to go as far as requiring the accession of all your allies (who have >5% war contribution maybe?) but you sure need something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bort Bortles posted:

This would be a nice change.

edit: Its funny because that would be the perfect way to help reign growing players (and AI) in - have external threats band together in defensive alliances that are less game breaking than coalitions. As Austria I should not need a ton of AE from the Ottomans to want to join a group of like-minded states that want to keep them hemmed in.

Players will either complain because it's not effective and makes the game tedious, or complain it's to effective and gets in the way of their map painting simulator.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Of course then you also have to come up with a way to negotiate the spoils. Let's say I as England and AI Burgundy team up to wreck France; I declare war and just let Burgundy do most of the work, I'd be free to award myself stuff, and just give Burgundy nothing, because gently caress those guys, they won't ally with me against anyone else anyway.

I don't know whether you have to go as far as requiring the accession of all your allies (who have >5% war contribution maybe?) but you sure need something.
That is why they would be primarily defensive alliances. Normal coalitions being able to form when people just wanted to would be a bit much, but at least being able to band together to limit France from expanding past the Rhine (or whatever) would be neat and very historical.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Players will either complain because it's not effective and makes the game tedious, or complain it's to effective and gets in the way of their map painting simulator.
Players will always complain, me included, but it is fun to theorycraft something that would be an interesting addition to the game that would also make it more historical. I dont play EU to paint the whole world my country's (Great Old Serbia, obv) color; I like it for the history based grand strategy (not grand conquest) game.

If I would have ways to keep myself alive and work to keep larger powers in check without needing to blob uncontrollably I would be excited. I hate managing huge countries in EU games.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

:shrug:

I don't know that the Paradox devs really take our griping that seriously.

Taking our griping seriously is the most surefire route to a Bad Game. I gripe, but I trust Johan and then Wiz and now Johan to just follow their visions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tsyni posted:

This has caused me lots of grief, but I think it's probably better if the aggressor doesn't get more of an advantage. Without this I think game-play would change a lot and possibly be even blobbier.

I just want to be able to spend favors to get my allies to break their alliances with my enemies.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

Failing to reward their war contribution properly could reduce their (and anyone they have good enough relations with) trust in you, making it tougher and tougher to find allies if you always screw them over.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Woah, so apparently in addition to the Calais-Dover strait crossing, the Gibralter-Tangier strait crossing is coming back as well. Curious as to why, given what a disaster those always were in EU3. The AI can't manage them at all.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 3, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wiz?!?

PittTheElder posted:

Woah, so apparently in addition to the Calais-Dover strait crossing, the Gibralter-Tangier strait crossing is coming back as well. Curious as to why, given what a disaster those always were in EU3. The AI can't manage them at all.
Maybe Wiz did some ace programming before he got reassigned?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What are crossable straits supposed to represent now anyway? It's not like soldiers are swimming across the 9-mile Straits of Gibraltar. I mean the distance means the crossing wouldn't take very long by boat, so maybe the idea is the army requisitions local boats, I guess? I know it's all supposed to be an abstraction, but what's being abstracted?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Which came first, though? That illustration or that twitter picture?

e: although I'm pretty sure that illustration is based off of meat Wiz.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

The reason for taking it out was that it allowed the Iberians to own those provinces without Distant Overseas penalties. Since Distant Overseas has been changed, that's not really an issue for it.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Fister Roboto posted:

I just want to be able to spend favors to get my allies to break their alliances with my enemies.

This. Super Ottomans is allied to me and the breakaway Netherlands in my Gelre game. They hold the one province I need to form Netherlands, that my ally Austria had forever before they rebelled. I just want to kill Netherlands, so I can be Netherlands.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What are crossable straits supposed to represent now anyway? It's not like soldiers are swimming across the 9-mile Straits of Gibraltar. I mean the distance means the crossing wouldn't take very long by boat, so maybe the idea is the army requisitions local boats, I guess? I know it's all supposed to be an abstraction, but what's being abstracted?

Well you wouldn't need to really be a naval power to transport soldiers over such a small distance. Having a fleet of ships dedicated to transporting an army represents a much larger logistical support base.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

PittTheElder posted:

Welp playing as Morocco suddenly gets a lot harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fauxbot posted:

Welp playing as Morocco suddenly gets a lot harder

Don't worry Castile and Portugal will just have so much corruption that you can easily beat them, since their blobs, having more than 10 provinces.

• Locked thread