Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Clearly the solution is to go crazier. Have something like John Kitchin's site or Timecube up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dick Trauma posted:

When my replacement asked how I'd been able to hang on so long doing everything by myself I told him that I mistakenly viewed that job as a sort of magic lantern. All I had to do was figure out the right way to rub the lamp and the genie would pop out. But nothing I tried worked. Year after year I rubbed that loving lantern waiting for the genie. Maybe if I rubbed it faster. Maybe if I rubbed it harder. But finally I had to accept that it was not a magic lantern and the goddamn genie was never going to appear no matter what I did.

Fun fact: Dick's first forums name was "Weenie Genie" :v:

flosofl posted:

This is all going to end with him dead and you a fugitive in a forest preserve, isn't it?

I dunno, I picture Bob as more of a "chop victim up and drop in the Everglades" kinda guy. No trace left behind, helping the environment, making the world a better place, etc. etc.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

ponzicar posted:

That can backfire spectacularly if he's into any of those things.

Still create more amusement for us. which is all that really counts in the end.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sickening posted:

We had a new desktop guy start on Monday. He has this really bad habit of coming into my office and walking behind my desk before talking to me. Just straight up walking behind my desk and snooping at my computer screens. He seemed a little surprised when I told him he wasn't allowed to do that anymore and that he shouldn't do that to anyone else because its weird.

He is dropping these small hints that hiring him was going to be a mistake.

This is why you work from home. :smug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have discovered a 4-bay NAS configured in RAID6. I can't really work out why you'd do that over RAID10 unless you wanted to be able to guarantee losing two disks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Oh hey everyone there's some large files I need to purge from our git repo, so I'm going to have to ask you to delete your entire tree and reinitialize. Please do not commit any of your pending changes or it will mess this up, oh yeah I've already done this so if you had a work day's worth of commits to push well tough poo poo, have fun merging them in manually."

You couldn't have given an hour warning for this? :fuckoff:

edit - based on my moderate knowledge of git merely purging files from the repo shouldn't require a complete re-initialization, but trying to do a pull on the tree generated conflicts for hundreds of files I had never modified so who knows what the gently caress they were actually doing.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 2, 2016

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I needed some XML to do a job. I got a ticket with an attached PDF of an email generated by another ticketing system autoparsing an email with XML pasted into it.

By that point all that was left was:

xmlns="">6f43e5191a3de76e40a9c8c2cc24d96034729
ferences>1376,

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

xiw posted:

I needed some XML to do a job. I got a ticket with an attached PDF of an email generated by another ticketing system autoparsing an email with XML pasted into it.

By that point all that was left was:

xmlns="">6f43e5191a3de76e40a9c8c2cc24d96034729
ferences>1376,

At least it wasn't a scanned copy of a print-out of the email. :sun:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

captkirk posted:

Always keep up a few screens of stuff like Flat Earth Society, Obama birther, or 9/11 truther sites and then start steering conversations in the direction of these topics. He'll learn quickly to never talk to you.

My last boss was a crazy tea party truther nut. I used to carry around a pocket knife that I filed the switch lock so you could flip it with one hand to open boxes, when he'd see it he'd wheel his chair to my cube and rant about how Obama changed the law so my knife was illegal in NJ and how bush started a war for oil money and we should all vote libertarian. He was a nut job and he would rant for like and hour while I sat there just staring. That knife really set him off for some reason.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DigitalMocking posted:

Doctors are the absolute worst people to work for on the loving planet. lawyers are a close second, but working for doctors is torture.

You got that right. When we rolled out the new EMR a couple years ago the doctors would bitch and moan endlessly and yell at the trainers. As if they thought if they just bullied enough people the pesky EMR would get taken away and they could just use paper and phone in orders forever and ever. One of them even expected one of my managers to enter in her orders for her :staredog:, she's not even good at IT let alone medicine! And she's my mom's primary care physician :staredog::staredog::staredog::staredog:

But some of them won't bog you down with remedial IT questions like what's a password. Some might even be even-keeled polite people. And you treat them like the gold they are.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

We had a new desktop guy start on Monday. He has this really bad habit of coming into my office and walking behind my desk before talking to me. Just straight up walking behind my desk and snooping at my computer screens. He seemed a little surprised when I told him he wasn't allowed to do that anymore and that he shouldn't do that to anyone else because its weird.

He is dropping these small hints that hiring him was going to be a mistake.

Ugh, gently caress that guy! I have a collegue that does something similar: when he's talking to me, he stares at my screen (we have a semi open office) - sometimes even going so far to read the mail that's on the screen and commenting on it.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

skooma512 posted:

You got that right. When we rolled out the new EMR a couple years ago the doctors would bitch and moan endlessly and yell at the trainers. As if they thought if they just bullied enough people the pesky EMR would get taken away and they could just use paper and phone in orders forever and ever. One of them even expected one of my managers to enter in her orders for her :staredog:, she's not even good at IT let alone medicine! And she's my mom's primary care physician :staredog::staredog::staredog::staredog:

But some of them won't bog you down with remedial IT questions like what's a password. Some might even be even-keeled polite people. And you treat them like the gold they are.

When I first moved to Oregon (don't move here, its terrible, :getout:) I decided to go back into the IT consulting game because I was tired after years of working for Trading firms. I landed a few clients pretty quickly, couple of real estate offices, other small/medium businesses, life was good.

Then I landed 'the client'. It was a medical group with 15 or so offices composed of 35 doctors, who were all on 'the board' and all had equal rights when it came to spending money. The contract was pretty good, ongoing support hours for server/desktop maintenance, good on call rates, seemed like it would be ok. One thing I wasn't aware of is that it required a 2/3 majority of 'the board' to approve ANY spend over 1k, budgeted or not. 'the board' only met every two months, and if not enough of the doctors showed up, everything was tabled until the next meeting. You can imagine how that went when their main file server at headquarters died (years outside of service contract of course).

Then somehow because I'm stupid, I started doing HIPAA compliance audits and wound up with a bunch more clients in the medical field.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalMocking posted:

Then somehow because I'm stupid, I started doing HIPAA compliance audits and wound up with a bunch more clients in the medical field.
As long as you're just reporting findings and giving remediation recommendations, that sound like a petty lucrative gig.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

skooma512 posted:

So long as I draw breathe my company will never loving again pursue a physician. I have had it up to my loving eyeballs with cardiologists, radiologists, clinic directors, administrators and board members. Honestly firing my medical clients was the single best decision I ever made.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

go3 posted:

So long as I draw breathe my company will never loving again pursue a physician. I have had it up to my loving eyeballs with cardiologists, radiologists, clinic directors, administrators and board members. Honestly firing my medical clients was the single best decision I ever made.

MSP I worked at had 2 physician clinics. Both were really awful about paying their bills on time to the point of them cancelling their contract, then calling up a week later with some problem saying they would pay hourly support to fix it, then calling up the next month to sign up for a new contract (with money up front this time). It would last another 3 months before the cycle repeated.

It was always really annoying to have to check with our accountant to see if we could answer one of their tickets, or if they were in the "between" stages of support.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I work at my university's Help Desk to bay the bills while finishing my degree before moving off to medical school. I promise to try to never be that doctor, and beat about the head and neck doctors who do :ohdear:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Today...

Verifone's Payware Connect merchant console.

We use Payware Connect Gateway as our credit card API... To do anything you have to access this website. However only certain parts of it work in IE, and only if compatibility mode is enabled. In particular, the form where you put someone's credit card # on file for tokenization purposes requires compatibility mode.

Various parts of the website appear as if they where written by different groups.. Some parts have completely different fonts/colors/etc.. as the rest of the site. Also, every few weeks you will occasionally get a popup that the trial period on some ASP.NET control is about to run out.

And once they have EMV ready (still 2-3 months out, though it has been 2-3 months out for over a year now) we will still have to use this same interface.

I can only imagine the sheer amount of security holes this website has... It is supposedly "PCI Compliance Certified".

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DigitalMocking posted:

Doctors are the absolute worst people to work for on the loving planet. lawyers are a close second, but working for doctors is torture.

Almost any client in the medical field, whether a doctor or someone on staff elsewhere, can be dense as gently caress and super difficult to work with. An old client of mine was a gastro surgery clinic and getting them to spend any money, let alone getting any information out of them for vendor support, was like pulling teeth. The main site contact was a royal bitch 90% of the time, we'd ask a question about a process or piece of software and we'd get the reply "I don't know, JUST FIX IT" so we'd end up wasting hours of time trying to figure something out, then she'd come back after and send us all this documentation about the correct steps/order for upgrades and troubleshooting. Then she'd bitch more when we pointed out that yes, that documentation would be useful BEFORE we did the work instead of 2 hours into a fix-it job. Same lady would get her facts mixed up whenever we did work and assumed engineers were just connecting to PCs or servers randomly, when we'd already either set up time with her for the work, or set up time with the end user and she just never asked the user if/when we worked on a PC. Same problem with their ESX host, they desperately needed more space but they never wanted to spend money, so we'd have to find creative ways to transfer data or do upgrades because some servers were virtualized and didn't have enough disk space to perform app updates, so it would take 3-4 hours to do a 30 minute upgrade job (which main contact ALWAYS complained about despite us pointing out all the problems).

A week after we cut ties with them and didn't renew their contract, I blocked all their phone numbers on my work cell, stopped answering their calls on my desk line, and had their domain blocked with a wildcard in our spam filter. After having this client doing the "hot potato" jump between 4 teams of engineers and never being happy with our support, my boss and even the VP made it clear we'd never do business with them again. Haven't heard a peep since and our quality of work life improved dramatically.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Microsoft licensing. For those that are not aware Microsoft is eliminating the Midsize Business sku. It’s closest new offering is Business Premium. This sku offers 2 main differences.
1. No RDS rights for Office
2. The removal of MS Access from the Office suite in a change from Proplus to Plus

What the second one means is that all users need to have Office Proplus uninstalled and the Office Plus installed regardless if you are changing versions (2013, 2016 etc)

This can be scripted and GPO’d as well as done manually via the click to run from the Office 365 portal.

So now I have to check my client O365 portals to ensure this doesn’t affect them. If it does there will be a count down to the deadline date. If it is not done by that date you enter a 30 day grace period and if not done by then MS says they will DELETE YOUR TENANT.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Microsoft licensing. For those that are not aware Microsoft is eliminating the Midsize Business sku. It’s closest new offering is Business Premium. This sku offers 2 main differences.
1. No RDS rights for Office
2. The removal of MS Access from the Office suite in a change from Proplus to Plus

What the second one means is that all users need to have Office Proplus uninstalled and the Office Plus installed regardless if you are changing versions (2013, 2016 etc)

This can be scripted and GPO’d as well as done manually via the click to run from the Office 365 portal.

So now I have to check my client O365 portals to ensure this doesn’t affect them. If it does there will be a count down to the deadline date. If it is not done by that date you enter a 30 day grace period and if not done by then MS says they will DELETE YOUR TENANT.

I went through this when we renewed, the license rolled over, and the renew date was December 23rd. you get about 60 days of THIS PRODUCT IS NOT LICENSED before outlook and excel stop letting you use them to actually reinstall. It's a huge pain in the butt, but I got it done in phases. Seriously try doing it with holidays and new year happening all while Microsoft keeps saying "there should be a better solution that you can do via GPO "soon"". I ended up doing it manually on every drat computer, thankfully that was only 52 computers and I just remoted into them from home to run the update for the most part.

Remember the shortcuts wont update from 2013 to 2016 if you are going to migrate so you will need to update them.

You can also stack licenses so you can get pro plus which doesn't have email and also get an email only license if you need access on a few computers. If you have some users who only use email you can downgrade them to email only. We ended up saving a ton of money.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

pixaal posted:

I went through this when we renewed, the license rolled over, and the renew date was December 23rd. you get about 60 days of THIS PRODUCT IS NOT LICENSED before outlook and excel stop letting you use them to actually reinstall. It's a huge pain in the butt, but I got it done in phases. Seriously try doing it with holidays and new year happening all while Microsoft keeps saying "there should be a better solution that you can do via GPO "soon"". I ended up doing it manually on every drat computer, thankfully that was only 52 computers and I just remoted into them from home to run the update for the most part.

Remember the shortcuts wont update from 2013 to 2016 if you are going to migrate so you will need to update them.

You can also stack licenses so you can get pro plus which doesn't have email and also get an email only license if you need access on a few computers. If you have some users who only use email you can downgrade them to email only. We ended up saving a ton of money.

Yeah frankly I'm all for Access being a specialty product that people have to order explicitly, because gently caress Access and gently caress having it available on every single machine for any idiot to go "HEY I NEEDZ A INVENTORY/LOGGING/PRODUCT MAINTENANCE/SOME OTHER loving STUPID LINE-OF-BUSINESS APPLICATION OH LOOK THIS ACCESS THING IS GREAT AND EVERYONE CAN LOGIN TO THE SYSTEM RUNNING ON MY MACHINE LOOK AT ME I SOLVED THE PROBLEM OUR IT DEPARTMENT KEPT CLAIMING WE NEEDED A SQUIRREL FOR". We actually had that recently, and it was great telling the client "oh yeah, well, that'll be an extra $100 please per seat that you want".

edit: this isn't to say that Chubby's grievance isn't well-founded, that's pretty lovely of MS to just dump a license and force a change with the ultimate penalty of deleting the tenant. That's loving dumb. But Small Bus Prem has been pretty good for us so far.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its been pretty clear for years that MS is going to do any with any sort of licensing between home and enterprise level. They just do not give one flying gently caress about small/medium business

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My last boss was a crazy tea party truther nut. I used to carry around a pocket knife that I filed the switch lock so you could flip it with one hand to open boxes, when he'd see it he'd wheel his chair to my cube and rant about how Obama changed the law so my knife was illegal in NJ and how bush started a war for oil money and we should all vote libertarian. He was a nut job and he would rant for like and hour while I sat there just staring. That knife really set him off for some reason.

I Worked with a guy who was an amazingly smart MSSQL/Windows server guy. Top notch guy, took care of stuff like a boss.

He seriously believed in just about everything Alex Jones and David Icke peddle.

It's a miracle to me that people that can believe that stuff can also be effective members of society, but honestly, humans are so easily misled, i'm shocked we can bang two rocks together to get fire without worrying about the fire demons burning the planet.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

go3 posted:

Its been pretty clear for years that MS is going to do any with any sort of licensing between home and enterprise level. They just do not give one flying gently caress about small/medium business

Handling licensing for an - at least for Denmark - somewhat larger level I can safely say they're making me eyeball that bottle of gin pretty hard too. Especially when you combine MS licensing with EU mandated Public Contracts and law-people crawling all over the place.

..and on top of that I now have to look into new requirements for accountability on handling sensitive data - which local governments do a lot. At least the lawyer who got tossed the case in our legal department is a cool cat, so traveling with her to multiple conferences and seminars isn't as painful as it could be.

I just want to nerd out in IT, dammit. I don't want to juggle licenses, dig through EU legal briefs, or draw up recommendations for the tasks for a future DPO.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 4, 2016

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sounds like that EU membership is working out great for you guys :v:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Wibla posted:

Sounds like that EU membership is working out great for you guys :v:

I tried being sneaky and breaking our Office 365 subscription up into EDU and Corporate purchases because MS insist you can't mix them on one tenant, the bills will be sent to different departments, and I'd be able to avoid a public bid because the total sum was low enough to juust creep under the threshold. That got shot down right quick by the lawyers too. Fuuck!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nitrogen posted:

I Worked with a guy who was an amazingly smart MSSQL/Windows server guy. Top notch guy, took care of stuff like a boss.

He seriously believed in just about everything Alex Jones and David Icke peddle.

It's a miracle to me that people that can believe that stuff can also be effective members of society, but honestly, humans are so easily misled, i'm shocked we can bang two rocks together to get fire without worrying about the fire demons burning the planet.

Some people who are incredibly smart have something else that's broken in their head. I've seen extreme political beliefs bordering on the paranoid/conspiracy theorist (on both sides), very poor socialization skills, and varying degrees of mental illness over my career.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Potato Alley posted:

Small Bus Prem has been pretty good for us so far.
Pretty sure that's gone. When you need to renew you need to reinstall like medium. They merged the two.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Driver package for "HP Conferencing Keyboard":
1 MB program to capture keys and control LEDs
49 MB .NET Framework installer

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Today, I've had more printer fun. Oh what a happy Friday! Spent nearly all morning with myself, a senior support guy from our outsourced IT provider and an engineer from our managed service printer company looking at servers, stopping/restarting queues, etc. Finally trek out the printer (deep in the bowels of our Emergency Department) - see the end users complaining about lack of printing didn't mention the flashing red "paper tray not loaded" warning for their special label tray. Great, thanks for that people. Took all of 30 seconds to actually fix once done.

I know, it's all my fault for not asking the simple "Does it say anything on the printer? Does it actually have paper?" questions in advance. That will each me :negative:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
You know they'll just say, "I DON'T KNOW, JUST FIX IT "

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DroneRiff posted:

Today, I've had more printer fun. Oh what a happy Friday! Spent nearly all morning with myself, a senior support guy from our outsourced IT provider and an engineer from our managed service printer company looking at servers, stopping/restarting queues, etc. Finally trek out the printer (deep in the bowels of our Emergency Department) - see the end users complaining about lack of printing didn't mention the flashing red "paper tray not loaded" warning for their special label tray. Great, thanks for that people. Took all of 30 seconds to actually fix once done.

I know, it's all my fault for not asking the simple "Does it say anything on the printer? Does it actually have paper?" questions in advance. That will each me :negative:

If there is a printer problem ALWAYS get eyes on it. If someone from IT hasn't seen the printer assume it's something stupid (unless the printer queue looks really messed up then clear the bad job and see if that fixes it first if it's a long walk).

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I should have taken notes from the pain everyone else in the IT threads has with printers. But not, it was Friday and I foolishly assumed the users couldn't be that bad today. At least I won't forget the important rules again in the future.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

DroneRiff posted:

One thing that I learned while working Helpdesk for 5 year for one company was to always get the printer's error message.

Kinda helps that Ricoh always wanted the error message if it was there.

Yes, I did get a handful of "paper not loaded" and told them "well, put paper in it". Yes, more than a few times I was told it wasn't their job just fix it. Yes, there's a community stack of paper close by for them to do it.

I then forward those requests to their manager. Community effort people!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OMFG

Management just told me they want us to 'move the IT stuff in the server room'. So they can use it for a milk pumping room. We currently have 4 pregnant women roaming the building and they are all due in July or August.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

OMFG

Management just told me they want us to 'move the IT stuff in the server room'. So they can use it for a milk pumping room. We currently have 4 pregnant women roaming the building and they are all due in July or August.

"Okay I need hearing protection, and winter coats provided by the company" Draft up a budget that is stupid expensive.

edit: I read that as move all IT into the server room, I just realized you probably meant move the server room elsewhere. Yeah, do what others are saying and draft up a better server room and budget it with downtime. If you get your new server room good deal.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 4, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

OMFG

Spec up a bill and plan for construction for a new server room to transfer all the equipment to, and tell them you'll get right on that once they sign it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Hahaha, hope you gave them a bill on exactly how much that's going to cost, including downtime. That'll get them to change their minds on "moving the IT stuff".

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

OMFG

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

RadicalR posted:

Hahaha, hope you gave them a bill on exactly how much that's going to cost, including downtime. That'll get them to change their minds on "moving the IT stuff".

Considering the room doesn't have HVAC, power backup, or anything else it wouldn't be too hard to move the servers (there are only 3).

Although, it would be a bitch to move the 66 blocks and telephone wiring, as well as the two fiber circuits that go in there.