Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

Hawaii is probably gonna lose football soon

Which is a damned shame because it's a shame when anyone loses football, but I get the feeling that's the best thing for that school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thoguh posted:

Haven't all those top tier MVC and Big Sky schools been pretty vocal that they'd rather be big fish in FCS than struggle to be viable in FBS?

Yeah, I don't see the scenario I said happening, but it's more likely than Idaho or NMSU getting an invite from any existing conference.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Toilet Mouth posted:

Yeah, I don't see the scenario I said happening, but it's more likely than Idaho or NMSU getting an invite from any existing conference.

I could see the MWC offering one or both of them if Hawaii goes under. Natural rivalries for New Mexico and Boise State, added to the fact that the MWC regularly makes terrible decisions.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Ross Angeles posted:

I could see the MWC offering one or both of them if Hawaii goes under. Natural rivalries for New Mexico and Boise State, added to the fact that the MWC regularly makes terrible decisions.

Both Idaho and NMSU have the problem of being small state schools in pretty isolated areas, requiring extra effort to get to Moscow and Las Cruces. I really hope for Idaho to fall into the MWC, but the university's admin team has made little effort in actually making Idaho a more attractive conference member.

There is a sizable "Back to Big Sky" contingent of fans as well, believing that Idaho would be more competitive in the BSC and attendance would increase as well. I don't believe the competitiveness bit, and playing in the Big Sky hasn't helped the other sports in attendance so far, including basketball and volleyball, which are Idaho's traditional "good" teams.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

oldman posted:

Both Idaho and NMSU have the problem of being small state schools in pretty isolated areas, requiring extra effort to get to Moscow and Las Cruces. I really hope for Idaho to fall into the MWC, but the university's admin team has made little effort in actually making Idaho a more attractive conference member.

There is a sizable "Back to Big Sky" contingent of fans as well, believing that Idaho would be more competitive in the BSC and attendance would increase as well. I don't believe the competitiveness bit, and playing in the Big Sky hasn't helped the other sports in attendance so far, including basketball and volleyball, which are Idaho's traditional "good" teams.

Las Cruces is like 45 minutes from El Paso which has a relatively major airport there with plenty of flights.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you're not able to charter your own airliner to land at the nearest long enough runway, you probably shouldn't be FBS any more.

Doesn't apply if the distance is short enough that it would be dumb as hell to fly. I can't imagine that Penn State will fly to play Pitt, I mean.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Las Cruces is like 45 minutes from El Paso which has a relatively major airport there with plenty of flights.

but Moscow isn't. :smith: It's about a 90 minute drive from Spokane to Moscow. Its 15 from Lewiston, but that can't be described as relatively major.

edit: I did just read about the expansion to Moscow-Pullman airport, so other teams would be able to fly directly into the Palouse in the future. :unsmith:

oldman fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 4, 2016

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Kick wyoming out of the MWC. I'd much rather the Aztecs have to go to Cruces or Moscow than loving Laramie

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

New Mexico is a giant poo poo hole

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Wyoming feels like quintessential WAC though and the MWC is now as much spiritually the new WAC as it is historically

e: like Wyoming, UNLV, Colorado State and Hawaii should exist in whatever the current WAC is so long as they choose to have teams

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Toilet Mouth posted:

New Mexico is a giant poo poo hole

So crappy that we stopped using it to test nuclear weapons.

Think about that for a moment.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Some conversation about the Big Ten led me to wonder, did the Big Ten have a massive shift in philosophy in the couple of years between inviting Nebraska and inviting Rutgers and Maryland? Because they basically represent opposite schools of thought- Nebraska brings an established brand and a reliably competitive program (or so they thought), but basically nothing in terms of regional footprint and BTN subscribers, whereas Maryland and Rutgers bring basically nothing but the cable subscribers.

Did the Big Ten have a change of heart, or did they already have designs on expanding the network with Northeastern markets and invited Nebraska to try to mitigate the brand dilution?

Also, we've gotten a lot of mileage out of Missouri getting rejected, but it really seems like they would have been a good middle route between the two extremes, with both a decent population and a reasonably competitive football program.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 18, 2016

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Toilet Mouth posted:

Some conversation about the Big Ten led me to wonder, did the Big Ten have a massive shift in philosophy in the couple of years between inviting Nebraska and inviting Rutgers and Maryland? Because they basically represent opposite schools of thought- Nebraska brings an established brand and a reliably competitive program (or so they thought), but basically nothing in terms of regional footprint and BTN subscribers, whereas Maryland and Rutgers bring basically nothing but the cable subscribers.

Did the Big Ten have a change of heart, or did they already have designs on expanding the network with Northeastern markets and invited Nebraska to try to mitigate the brand dilution?

Also, we've gotten a lot of mileage out of Missouri getting rejected, but it really seems like they would have been a good middle route between the two extremes, with both a decent population and a reasonably competitive football program.

Nebraska's the ultimate old-man football school. Not that they actually play old-man football, it's just that it's mostly old men that remember the last time Nebraska was dominant (yes, if you were in college in the late 90's, you are now an old man). They have a decent academic record and control of football in the plains. They couldn't pass that up.

Big Ten was always looking to expand since they realized the network was a money-making machine.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I believe there was a conscious effort to break the Big 12 and kill the Big East ahead of a shift to a playoff-centered postseason.

Then Texas hosed it all up.

TEXAS! :doom:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The theory was that Nebraska was a big enough national brand to make up for the small market but they're doing their best to destroy that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Nebraska also got them to 12 and the conference championship game. Maryland/Rutgers is a straight BTN decision.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Sash! posted:

So crappy that we stopped using it to test nuclear weapons.

Think about that for a moment.

Ruidoso is nice if you have a crippling gambling addiction (or ski but gently caress that).

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Toilet Mouth posted:

Apparently Mizzou not getting into the B1G was because of two reasons: Dr. Tom was tight with Barry Alvarez (who swung people over to the Huskers getting in...right as their football goes down the tubes and the university loses its AAU membership, but that's neither here nor there), and in theory Mizzou would bring only one big new BTN market in Kansas City, because due to spillover St Louis is considered an "Illinois market" and thus cable subscribers paid those rates. (Nebraska, despite not having a big market, counters this by still being a national household name in football, and thus would theoretically convince people all over to upgrade their cable package for BTN.)

Plus, MU leadership didn't like the whole "junior members" decision/revenue-sharing deal Delany cooked up, and equal, centralized revenue-sharing was why they wanted to move out of the XII in the first place. Overall I'm torn on where MU ended up: while the money is great, we can laugh at Kansas, and playing on CBS is awesome, the whole "SEC Culture" isn't my game in some regards and I've always wanted MU to have a hockey team...even if it meant playing in the joke that is B1G Hockey, destroyer of not one but two great leagues there all so they could make Terry Pegula happy.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Toilet Mouth posted:

They never anticipated the Big XII blowing up. Delany started talking heavily to Rutgers in 2010, and the AD at the time was not exactly coy about hiding that fact. I think the plan was to blow up the Big East and force Notre Dame's hand. When it looked like the Pac 16 was going to happen, Rutgers was nearly finalized as #13 before Texas backed away from the ledge. At that point Delany told Pernetti to be patient and it would happen soon, which it did two years later. They just needed a partner, which waited on ND to pass and MD to get in really bad financial shape.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

They never anticipated the Big XII blowing up. Delany started talking heavily to Rutgers in 2010, and the AD at the time was not exactly coy about hiding that fact. I think the plan was to blow up the Big East and force Notre Dame's hand. When it looked like the Pac 16 was going to happen, Rutgers was nearly finalized as #13 before Texas backed away from the ledge. At that point Delany told Pernetti to be patient and it would happen soon, which it did two years later. They just needed a partner, which waited on ND to pass and MD to get in really bad financial shape.

They didn't expect the conference to be destabilized when they grabbed Nebraska?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

News: Is the Longhorn Network Killing the Big 12?

Views: No

The idea of a profitable Big 12 network seems like fools' gold to me. The footprint is too small, and there really isn't enough content. There's a maximum of five conference games per week, by the time ESPN and Fox have taken their share, you're going to be left with some pretty meager morsels. It would be good for basketball, but that's not where the money is.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 23, 2016

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Toilet Mouth posted:

News: Is the Longhorn Network Killing the Big 12?

Views: No

The idea of a profitable Big 12 network seems like fools' gold to me. The footprint is too small, and there really isn't enough content. There's a maximum of five conference games per week, by the time ESPN and Fox have taken their share, you're going to be left with some pretty meager morsels. It would be good for basketball, but that's not where the money is.

That doesn't actually answer the question of if it's killing the Big XII. It only details the fact that UT is making a shitton of money off of it. It could still be killing the Big XII.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Notre Dame is going to play Hockey in the Big Ten starting 2017

What does this mean for foot/basketball? Not much, probably

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Toilet Mouth posted:

They didn't expect the conference to be destabilized when they grabbed Nebraska?

I meant they didn't expect Nebraska to be available originally.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DOOP posted:

Notre Dame is going to play Hockey in the Big Ten starting 2017

What does this mean for foot/basketball? Not much, probably

They should remove the platinum plated tungsten rod from their rear end over something from 200 years ago and just join the conference that like half their rivals live in.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The only reason you bring in ND is if you need to balance out a good team you want to bring in.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Big 12 finally figures out what every idiot already knew: 12 teams plus a championship game helps playoff chances.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15449091/big-12-research-shows-expansion-necessary-boost-cfp-hopes

ESPN posted:

PHOENIX -- The Big 12's data research shows that the league will have to make a change to its current format to maximize its chances of making the College Football Playoff.

That includes expanding back to 12 teams.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said the analytics firm the league recently hired, Navigate Research, revealed that a 12-team league with an eight-game conference schedule and a championship game was the best model for putting a team in the CFP.

The Big 12 currently has 10 teams, a nine-game conference schedule and no championship game.

This week in Phoenix, the Big 12's athletic directors and coaches are holding their annual spring meeting. Later in May, the conference's president will convene in Irving, Texas.

Oklahoma president and new Big 12 board chairman David Boren has said he'd like to see the Big 12 take action this summer to expand, add a championship game and form a conference network. Boren has said that until the Big 12 does all three, it will be "psychologically disadvantaged."

Bowlsby said he didn't think the league would be ready to take any major votes in the late May meeting, but he added that it would be in the league's best interest to move forward as quickly as possible, perhaps later in the summer.

"Once we get the diagnostics done and the data analysis done, we need to get down the path and make some decisions," Bowlsby said. "There's no sense in dragging it out once we know all the pieces to the puzzle."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sash! posted:

They should remove the platinum plated tungsten rod from their rear end over something from 200 years ago and just join the conference that like half their rivals live in.

ND to the Pac-12 Pac-13 confirmed

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The Big 12 finally figures out what every idiot already knew: 12 teams plus a championship game helps playoff chances.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15449091/big-12-research-shows-expansion-necessary-boost-cfp-hopes

Analytics from all of the 2 playoffs we've had.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

The Glumslinger posted:

ND to the Pac-12 Pac-13 confirmed

The Pac-12 is actually cool and good now (except for Colorado, we're still not sure how that happened). Please don't bring in ND, they'll poo poo it up worse than Colorado has.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

Boren has said that until the Big 12 does all three, it will be "psychologically disadvantaged."

What a load of stupid horse poo poo. OU is the only team that cares about expanding, and they just made the playoff, and with a terrible loss on their record to boot! It's a dead certainty that the playoff is expanding in the next decade and this will all be a moot point. Please chill and don't do something stupid like adding Cincy and USF because you're afraid a team may miss the playoffs once every five years or so.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 4, 2016

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, them not taking FSU, Miami, GT and Clemson is looking worse in hindsight.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yeah I'm calling bullshit on "analytics" that only have two years worth of data, and are trying to predict how a group of humans that uses bullshit excuses like "body clocks" will act in the future.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Toilet Mouth posted:

What a load of stupid horse poo poo. OU is the only team that cares about expanding, and they just made the playoff, and with a terrible loss on their record to boot! It's a dead certainty that the playoff is expanding in the next decade and this will all be a moot point. Please chill and don't do something stupid like adding Cincy and USF because you're afraid a team may miss the playoffs once every five years or so.

I agree with this. Everyone needs to chill for a bit and the playoffs will expand and all work out.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

whiteyfats posted:

It looked terrible at the time that that seemed like a possibility. Dunno how you pass those teams up.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

whiteyfats posted:

There's no way on earth that this was an actual thing that had a chance of happening, unless it was contingent on some outrageous demand like 50% of the conference's overall television revenue or something like that.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Wow, I hadn't seen this quote before:

quote:

The Chicago-based firm concluded that the Big 12 could increase its chances of making the final four teams by 4-5 percent by expanding back to 12, adding a conference championship game, and going back to eight conference games.

4-5 percent? That's what this is about?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It's too bad for Tulane this might be happening this summer instead of next. They would look like a better addition next year now that they won't be terrible at football/basketball and have an AD that cares.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

It's too bad for Tulane this might be happening this summer instead of next. They would look like a better addition next year now that they won't be terrible at football/basketball and have an AD that cares.

It'll extend into next year, at least. You've first gotta get over the UT voting-block hurdle, then you've gotta evaluate schools.

Tulane has almost as good a case as Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, and Colorado State. Those are probably the front-runners (plus BYU), with an outside shot at the Big XII looking at UConn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Where are the votes going to come from for this to happen? How do you talk Baylor, TCU, Tech, Iowa State, the Kansas schools, anybody really, into this being in their best interests?

OU is dead set on expansion for whatever reason, and I'm sure WVU would like a couple of travel partners; but other than that I don't see where the support is coming from.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 4, 2016

• Locked thread