Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We all knew it was going to happen. The Big 12's presidents meetings February 4th and 5th may end up determining the future of one of college football's Power 5 conference. Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Baylor's presidents have all come out and said they want to expand to 12 teams, but that's not all. University of Oklahoma president David Boren has made...certain threatening comments. Boren has said if nothing happens, "then I try to think long-term." Apart from the expansion to 12 teams and the conference championship game, Boren wants the Longhorn Network, which has a contract with ESPN until 2031, to be replaced by a Big 12 Network. This may prove a problem. Despite projecting to turn its first ever profit in 2016, ESPN has no reported plans to buy out the deal with the University of Texas, which is worth $15 million a year.

This thread is for two scenarios:
a) The Big 12 expands
B) OU bolts the Big 12, and chaos occurs

As of August 31st, the candidates are down to 12, possibly 13 schools. In order of probability, with my comment:

-Cincinnati (invades Big Ten territory, and can easily be A Thing)
-Colorado State (could bring the Denver market, which could be useful)
-Connecticut (despite being bad in football, would bring northeast eyes to the Big 12)
-BYU (West Virginia won't let this happen)
-Houston (high momentum in football)
-SMU (poor football team, shares same territory as TCU)
-Central Florida (no history and went winless last year, but fertile recruiting ground)
-South Florida (like UCF, but better)
-Temple (I don't know if there is actual discussion among Big 12 presidents)
-Tulane (New Orleans market, and that's it)
-Air Force (in a world where CSU is on the market, I doubt they make it any further)
-Rice (how on Earth)

After the Big 12's future is straightened out, ripples will effect the other conferences. Who would the American poach from Conference USA? Who would C-USA poach from the Sun Belt? Who would the Sun Belt poach from the FCS? For the first time in years, Conference-mageddon is seemingly imminent. WHO WILL SURVIVE, AND WHAT WILL BE LEFT OF THEM?

:siren: THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED :siren:

Coastal Carolina -> Sun Belt
Idaho -> Big Sky (FCS)
New Mexico State -> FBS Independent

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tulane had a good coaching hire, so they won't be awful this season. Plus it gives Big 12 teams a game in Louisiana for recruiting in one of the better states for talent. Tulane would also instantly be the best school in the conference, academically.(nobody cares about this) It'd be cool if they were added but I doubt it will happen.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

Houston - high momentum in football

Hey our basketball team is better this year too - now we're one step above total poo poo!

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
What would the calculus be between looking at Memphis and Houston. Houston is probably on a faster program prestige track, but is that enough to outweigh the added televisions and recruiting orbit in Memphis?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If the Big 12 doesn't expand, Congress should force them to trade names with the Big 10, which I know has 14 teams now but still

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

JT Jag posted:

If the Big 12 doesn't expand, Congress should force them to trade names with the Big 10, which I know has 14 teams now but still

Big Brisket Conference

Big Cheese Curd Conference

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

CaptainYesterday posted:

We all knew it was going to happen. The Big 12's presidents meetings February 4th and 5th may end up determining the future of one of college football's Power 5 conference. Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Baylor's presidents have all come out and said they want to expand to 12 teams, but that's not all. University of Oklahoma president David Boren has made...certain threatening comments. Boren has said if nothing happens, "then I try to think long-term." Apart from the expansion to 12 teams and the conference championship game, Boren wants the Longhorn Network, which has a contract with ESPN until 2031, to be replaced by a Big 12 Network. This may prove a problem. Despite projecting to turn its first ever profit in 2016, ESPN has no reported plans to buy out the deal with the University of Texas, which is worth $15 million a year.

This thread is for two scenarios:
a) The Big 12 expands
B) OU bolts the Big 12, and chaos occurs

Obviously, the American Athletic Conference is ripe for poaching, and any discussion about Big 12 expansion runs through there (although the ACC is a possibility, however small). Any two of the 11 full-time institutions would have some impact, either in conference footprint or strength of football program. Here's my take on the AAC's schools and their chances of joining:

POPULAR OPTIONS
Cincinnati - invades Big Ten territory, and can easily be A Thing
Connecticut - despite being bad in football, would bring northeast eyes to the Big 12 (note: this will only work if LHN becomes an all-purpose Big 12 Network)
Houston - high momentum in football
Memphis - like Cincinnati, but in SEC territory

POSSIBLY?
Central Florida - no history and went winless last year, but fertile recruiting ground
East Carolina - I guess????
South Florida - like UCF, but better
Tulane - New Orleans market, and that's it

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN
SMU - poor football team, shares same territory as TCU
Temple - while having a resurrected football program, no discussion
Tulsa - the Big 12 isn't big enough for three teams from Oklahoma

There's also BYU and Boise State, but there's no way West Virginia OKs them joining the conference. After the Big 12's future is straightened out, ripples will effect the other conferences. Who would the American poach from Conference USA? Who would C-USA poach from the Sun Belt? Who would the Sun Belt poach from the FCS? For the first time in years, Conference-mageddon is seemingly imminent. WHO WILL SURVIVE, AND WHAT WILL BE LEFT OF THEM?

Can we come in please? Pretty please?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WVU and VT aren't in the SEC so I'm over here rending my garments in a rage

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech and, to a lesser extent, UT, will do everything in their power to keep Houston out. TCU and Baylor will probably also jump on that train. There is a very, very, very low chance that Houston gets a Big XII invite.

Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis, UCF (low), Colorado State (low), and Tulane (low) are also realistic chances. I have heard some whispers of Temple being of interest.

I'd love SDSU, but too far away.

BYU is also an interesting one. WVU will be dead-set against it, but OU will probably favor them.

e: Pac 12 could make a huge behind-the-scenes splash to tear the conference apart. Open invites to TTU, OSU, encouraging OU to jump (SEC? Pac-12?). You'd need 7 of the 10 teams to choose to blow it up for the conference to actually split apart (since that's the only way the Grant of Rights can be removed). Would need to get three of Baylor, TCU, Kansas, KSU, ISU, and WVU, plus UT on board with blowing it all up to make it happen.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 20, 2016

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Add two of Cinci/Memphis/Houston/Colorado State, make a scheduling agreement with BYU like ACC/Notre Dame, gently caress UConn.

kayakyakr posted:

e: Pac 12 could make a huge behind-the-scenes splash to tear the conference apart. Open invites to TTU, OSU, encouraging OU to jump (SEC? Pac-12?). You'd need 7 of the 10 teams to choose to blow it up for the conference to actually split apart (since that's the only way the Grant of Rights can be removed). Would need to get three of Baylor, TCU, Kansas, KSU, ISU, and WVU, plus UT on board with blowing it all up to make it happen.

Everywhere I've seen that its 8 votes to dissolve the Big 12. Theres no way it'll happen. OU, KU, and Texas would be guaranteed to find a landing spot. TTU, OSU, and WVU likely find something too. Baylor and TCU have momentum, but I suspect they get left behind. ISU and KSU are almost assuredly hosed.

In the event that the Big 12 doesn't expand and OU takes their ball and goes home. I think, personally, SEC has to be choice #1, but it looks like Boren wants to go to the B1G.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 20, 2016

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Big XII is a dead conference walking, only thing that would save it is Texas giving up the Longhorn network and the Big XII creating a Big XII network in it's place, and two teams that bring a lot of money (TV market, alumni, etc...) need to join.

Nether of these things will happen.

Texas isn't going to give up the Longhorn Network. What is the Big XII going to do? Kick them out? Lol. Even if OU bolts and the Big XII dies UT isn't a team that is going to be left out when the other conferences start carving up the corpse. In the meantime its 15 million in the bank baby WHOO!!!

On the other side of the issue the best teams that could be picked up (outside of a pipe dream ACC break-up) are ruled out because they are too far from WVU or in Texas. Everything left are body bag teams.

I don't think the expansion faction of the Big XII would be this vocal about their complaints unless this is a sort of ultimatum.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Numlock posted:

Big XII is a dead conference walking, only thing that would save it is Texas giving up the Longhorn network and the Big XII creating a Big XII network in it's place, and two teams that bring a lot of money (TV market, alumni, etc...) need to join.

Nether of these things will happen.

Texas isn't going to give up the Longhorn Network. What is the Big XII going to do? Kick them out? Lol. Even if OU bolts and the Big XII dies UT isn't a team that is going to be left out when the other conferences start carving up the corpse. In the meantime its 15 million in the bank baby WHOO!!!

On the other side of the issue the best teams that could be picked up (outside of a pipe dream ACC break-up) are ruled out because they are too far from WVU or in Texas. Everything left are body bag teams.

I don't think the expansion faction of the Big XII would be this vocal about their complaints unless this is a sort of ultimatum.

I am really curious if OU would actually peace-out with the grant of rights in place if their demands aren't met. It sounds like there is enough bad blood right now that they'll set up their direction for the expiration of the GoR anyway.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I hate realignment

Allahu Snackbar posted:

What would the calculus be between looking at Memphis and Houston. Houston is probably on a faster program prestige track, but is that enough to outweigh the added televisions and recruiting orbit in Memphis?

Houston's never going to the Big 12. People will piss and moan about economics and Not Liking Houston, and the Big 12 doing just enough to show up on Houston's cable boxes doesn't help UH there, but the tipping point is plain ol crootin. UH in the Big 12 would be a Big School in the backyard of a Big City, and legitimizing UH football in a P5 conference would come mostly at the cost of the other Big 12 teams, namely TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech. Add a pinch of old school SWC hate, and you get three no votes that will never be reconsidered in a ten team club...and UH is DOA at the board room.

I think for now Houston is just going to have to get a lot of people hot and bothered about making a lot of noise from the G5, and how G5s should only be seen in September and not heard, and become hot real estate to a conference that is competently run...like the ACC or Pac 12. Or maybe a conference that don't exist yet.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

I hate realignment

Houston's never going to the Big 12. People will piss and moan about economics and Not Liking Houston, and the Big 12 doing just enough to show up on Houston's cable boxes doesn't help UH there, but the tipping point is plain ol crootin. UH in the Big 12 would be a Big School in the backyard of a Big City, and legitimizing UH football in a P5 conference would come mostly at the cost of the other Big 12 teams, namely TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech. Add a pinch of old school SWC hate, and you get three no votes that will never be reconsidered in a ten team club...and UH is DOA at the board room.

I think for now Houston is just going to have to get a lot of people hot and bothered about making a lot of noise from the G5, and how G5s should only be seen in September and not heard, and become hot real estate to a conference that is competently run...like the ACC or Pac 12. Or maybe a conference that don't exist yet.

UT's crootin has been hurting from A&M's move and TCU's invite as well as Baylor's resurgence. That would give UH a 4th no vote if they're not dumb.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Houston's a hard no for reasons people have mentioned, which extend to SMU/UTEP/Texas State/UTSA/Corpus Christi/West Texas A&M/Stone Cold Stephen F. Austin/etc... No other school from Texas is getting in.

Cinci/UConn would seem to be the smarter plays on name recognition, but neither is in a gangbuster market and/or brings more to the table than they take away, unless you're counting Lady Hoop. Splitting the pie two more ways when these two aren't bringing in enough to cover their own asses is economic suicide, and considering that the NCAA will give the Big 12 their precious title game in Jerry World it's unnecessary.

My guess is this is a lot of saber-rattlings done by Oklahoma that will lead to nothing in the short term. The grant of rights is locked up until 2024 and if eight votes are needed to undo it, Texas/Iowa State/K-State are enough to veto any movement. Oklahoma can think as long-term as they want, but the landscape is going to look a lot different in eight years and there may be no more big conference media deals to be had then, or we might finally be onto the Super Conference that'll be anywhere from 12 to 40 teams.

tl:dr don't get your hopes up of anything happening.

edit - to expand on one thing, Texas has all the leverage here. They make the most money with the Longhorn Network and are in no hurry to give it up. They have the Big 12 contract which locks everyone in, and they can point to the four schools who left as not doing as well outside of Texas' loving embrace, as long as you ignore the money A&M is getting from the SEC Network and whatever Nebraska is getting. The only way Texas agrees to expand is if the Big 12 gets constantly left out of the CFP, and we need probably four-five more years of it being a four-team deal before we can call anything a hard trend. If Oklahoma is really saber-rattling for financial concessions to be made, Texas has every reason to call their bluff.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 20, 2016

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Oh, how I am enjoying this. :munch:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Kick out Rutgers

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Korranus posted:

Granted, I'm not super knowledgeable about the business of college conferences, and its entirely possible you're being sarcastic, but isn't the ACC one of the least well-run conferences? Don't they have the worst TV contract of the P5 conferences, owing to some hardcore nepotism?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

The Pac 12 feels like it has the right number of schools and the correct schools in the conference. If anything, there is a slight pining for the round-robin back in the Pac-10 days.

So don't expect any moves from out west.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

The Pac 12 feels like it has the right number of schools and the correct schools in the conference. If anything, there is a slight pining for the round-robin back in the Pac-10 days.

So don't expect any moves from out west.

:(

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Is this coming from USC-fan Ross or SDSU-fan Ross?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

UH has no chance of entering the Big XII whatsoever. They'd eat into the recruiting pools of conference schools without offering much financial return

Which sucks. A lot. But they're managing to attract recruits despite being in the AAC and who knows, maybe they'll be invited elsewhere if they become high profile enough

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

Is this coming from USC-fan Ross or SDSU-fan Ross?

SDSU.

I hate the Mountain West.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tulane! Do it, Big 12. You know you want that sweet sweet New Orleans market.

I just want to see Tulane continue to fail upward.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Have the SEC trade Missouri for West Virginia, straight up. Everyone will be a lot happier.

The thing with Texas is that they don't need the conference half as much as the conference needs the network. Texas isn't going to cave.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't understand why a conference network is such a big deal all of a sudden. The Pac-12 Network makes like no money and the ACC network can't even get off the ground. Meanwhile ESPN is hemorrhaging subscribers and cable in general isn't looking all that hot. Conference networks are a dieing idea. Not only that, but Oklahoma is making more off their third tier rights than every school not named Texas. Boren is just poo poo stirring. There's no reason for the Big XII to go down the road of a conference network.

Any move by anybody before the Big Ten's new deal gets sorted out seems absurdly premature and stupid. The Big XII isn't rock solid but it is stable enough to sit and wait for a few years to see what happens as cable vs. streaming fight it out. Doubly so since the ACC isn't fufilling the promises it made to member schools so in a few years there might be options for to pick off schools from there, which are an order of magnitude better than AAC schools.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 20, 2016

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
As a UConn fan, I never once fathomed that the Huskies would be considered favored expansion targets by anyone ever. Joining the Big XII would save the program financially after Boston College tried to kill it. The move, however, would relegate UConn to bottom-feeder status overnight. But the basketball programs would be safe while getting to clown on Big XII competition in the conference tournament every few years.

However, even if the conference blows up, the Big XII North could come to UConn, just like when the conference first teetered on the edge of disaster. The Kansas schools, Iowa State etc. would all make great additions to the American! And whatever Texas school gets left out in the cold (TCU), you could come and play Houston and SMU all you want!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
OU is not allowed in the Big Ten because they'd get put in the Big Ten West and gently caress up our entire operation. Please join me in standing against this, Wisconsin fans.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
These threads are always a little strange for me, in a good way. I know I'm never going to get the result I want (maximum chaos) but I enjoy talking about the possibilities and developments despite that.

As a fan of a team with a secure future I hope I soon get to watch the explosive death of the Big 12 just to see where the bodies scatter.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Democrazy posted:

As a UConn fan, I never once fathomed that the Huskies would be considered favored expansion targets by anyone ever. Joining the Big XII would save the program financially after Boston College tried to kill it. The move, however, would relegate UConn to bottom-feeder status overnight. But the basketball programs would be safe while getting to clown on Big XII competition in the conference tournament every few years.

However, even if the conference blows up, the Big XII North could come to UConn, just like when the conference first teetered on the edge of disaster. The Kansas schools, Iowa State etc. would all make great additions to the American! And whatever Texas school gets left out in the cold (TCU), you could come and play Houston and SMU all you want!

I wouldn't be too confident about UConn basketball rolling through people. UConn would be a nice addition to an already pretty good basketball conference.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

kayakyakr posted:

I wouldn't be too confident about UConn basketball rolling through people. UConn would be a nice addition to an already pretty good basketball conference.

Oh, I know. The Big XII has plenty of great competition, but you're talking about a school that bullshitted their way not once, but twice with incredibly hot late season play into a national championship. UConn is almost certainly never going to win the regular season conference title, but I could definitely see it winning the conference tournament once and awhile.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 20, 2016

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Achernar posted:

Have the SEC trade Missouri for West Virginia, straight up. Everyone will be a lot happier.

The thing with Texas is that they don't need the conference half as much as the conference needs the network. Texas isn't going to cave.

gently caress the Big XII, we don't want to go back. Bring back the Big 8 and then we'll talk.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tranime scholar posted:

gently caress the Big XII, we don't want to go back. Bring back the Big 8 and then we'll talk.

No disrespect intended towards the Pac. But the Big 8 was the best 8.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As a fan with no personal stake in any team, I say explode Big XII, and let the pieces fall wherever :colbert:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

kayakyakr posted:

I am really curious if OU would actually peace-out with the grant of rights in place if their demands aren't met. It sounds like there is enough bad blood right now that they'll set up their direction for the expiration of the GoR anyway.

Doesn't the GOR become a moot point if the Big XII ceases to exist? I think that would happen if OU and a few other teams left.

Even if just OU left and the Big XII continued to Zombie on I wonder if the grant of rights agreement would hold up in court.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Instead of Oklahoma lets add Kansas to add to our basketball Brand and give Rutgers someone they can occasionally beat so they don't get too discouraged and cost us our TELEVISION FOOTPRINT.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Numlock posted:

Doesn't the GOR become a moot point if the Big XII ceases to exist? I think that would happen if OU and a few other teams left.

Even if just OU left and the Big XII continued to Zombie on I wonder if the grant of rights agreement would hold up in court.

Oklahoma peacing out to another conference is more or less the exact situation the GOR was created for. So even if it didn't hold up it would cost a shitload of money and time for Oklahoma to fight it. And schools that stand to lose out on hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue because Boren likes to hear his own voice aren't going to quietly sulk down to the AAC.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Expand into Texas by inviting UH to the Big Ten

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
really yall should be asking yourselves why all these other inferior conferences arent shedding teams to get down to a round robin number of teams like god intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Man Cincy doesn't even want to be in a big conference... AAC sounds just fine to me.... pssh who even owns a tv these days anyways? Losers, probably... yeah ....

• Locked thread