Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I picked up a used Vita on the cheap. Apparently, the battery was discharged and left unused for about a month. I brought it home and charged to full then played it until the battery indicator was down to 50%. Last night, I thought I shut down completely, but it's possible I only put it to sleep. I tried turning it on this morning and it was completely dead. Charging it back up now, but I'm concerned the previous owner may have borked up the battery. Is that possible? If so, is there an app or something to test the health of the battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is Trail of Cold Steel compatible with the TV? And do I need a separate memory card for the TV or can I just swap in my Vita one. I may pick one up for cheap for the hell of it now that it's officially dead.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

SnatchRabbit posted:

I picked up a used Vita on the cheap. Apparently, the battery was discharged and left unused for about a month. I brought it home and charged to full then played it until the battery indicator was down to 50%. Last night, I thought I shut down completely, but it's possible I only put it to sleep. I tried turning it on this morning and it was completely dead. Charging it back up now, but I'm concerned the previous owner may have borked up the battery. Is that possible? If so, is there an app or something to test the health of the battery?

If I remember an earlier post, just suspending it while in a game can still result in power drainage, you have to press the home button to fully suspending the game.

I could be super wrong though, fully powered off that definitely should not happen.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Colonel posted:

the senran kagura 3ds games do try to take the story and characters in interesting directions apparently and i personally can't judge cause i've never played them

It tries to be "serious" in that there are demons and ninja politics in one scene and molestation and micro-bikinis in the scene that follows it. It's a tonal mess but inconsequential, because all of the characters are so trope-y anyway that you can just hit Y a lot and sometimes X and be fine.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Is Trail of Cold Steel compatible with the TV? And do I need a separate memory card for the TV or can I just swap in my Vita one. I may pick one up for cheap for the hell of it now that it's officially dead.

It is compatible but you'd need a second card because of how psn activation works. fortunately you can get a bundle with a smaller card pretty cheap atm

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

In Training posted:

I'm in a very similar boat, heard nothing but great stuff about MH and it seemed right up my alley. MH4U was my first foray and I played like 20 hours before realizing I just don't like the game at all. Probably half of those hours are in menus and towns and running to the monster and watching skinning animations. I would probably like the games one million times more if it was just an arena with a boss and that was it. And you didn't need to have an outside website on hand at all times to even figure out what you're supposed to be doing in the game. I usually never do that but MH felt completely hopeless to me.

Yeah the thing you said you want is exactly what Toukiden: Kiwami is: basically Monster Hunter but with barely any farming, no consumable items to worry about, and the bosses are straight-up arena fights. It's really good and the monsters are styled on Japanese mythology which is cool. It's also a really nice looking Vita game that runs at a very consistent framerate which is a rare and precious thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

In Training posted:

I just swap in my vita one. I don't even turn poo poo off first and it yells at me for taking it out without turning off the power first and sometimes it moves my bubbles around but whatever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
God Eater also excises most of that. Almost anything you need to do at the base is through a single terminal and the maps are just one larger area.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Davincie posted:

ah mh games are like dragons dogma? i loved dogma but i've never heard this comparison before. maybe i should try one

No, but I would recommend it as an alternative to MH, especially if he finds MH too slow. 6 hours in a MH game is really nothing. Dogma directly borrows some things from MH though, like mining certain areas for ores with a pickaxe, gathering piles, and the entire story/quest system is based around fetch, kill, obtain. There's also no lock-on and no roll mechanic (except for one class). Having said that I didn't really like DD:DA's story at all but it's still a lot faster than MH and a lot of the quests are optional. I recall hearing people having clocked in over 250 hours into Freedom Unite and still not done with the game, even with Dark Arisen it's not that long, I finished everything at about 70 hours including NG+.

But yeah it's like a mash of genres in my book. If the main game is too easy or the story is too dull, you can just hit up Bitterblack Isle the moment you get your pawn and stay there forever. The only real negative I can say about the game is that it has a stupid damage cap threshhold where no matter how skilled you are, if you're under a certain strength/level some enemies just won't take any damage.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

It is compatible but you'd need a second card because of how psn activation works. fortunately you can get a bundle with a smaller card pretty cheap atm

I have a smaller card on hand, just curious if I would have to redownload and be more selective with what I have on hand. I'll probably buy one, thanks for the info all.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Found a semi translated playthrough for the beginning of Project Setsuna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLeYpidFKYc

Looks pretty fun, but the music sounds really amazing.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
https://twitter.com/KenichiroTakaEn/status/705052667840626688

He has an English twitter account now.

Kingtheninja posted:

Found a semi translated playthrough for the beginning of Project Setsuna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLeYpidFKYc

Looks pretty fun, but the music sounds really amazing.

Seems okay I guess, I don't get why people were calling this the second coming of Chrono Trigger though. Personally the only untranslated game I have my eye on is 13-ki.

Megalixir fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 2, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Megalixir posted:

Seems okay I guess, I don't get why people were calling this the second coming of Chrono Trigger though. Personally the only untranslated game I have my eye on is 13-ki.

It was a misreading that got blown waaaay out of proportion. iirc the devs said that the battle system was inspired by Chrono Trigger.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I don't know this term, please help.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I don't know this term, please help.

Platinum Games

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

thank you.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Help Im Alive posted:

Did the SK games actually have any kind of interesting story/characters or is it just DT being DT
They 3DS games tend more to the core story and have a more serious tone overall. The Vita games play better and, while the main stories aren't bad, the writing really shines in the characters and their personal individual chapters. It's a franchise that banks heavily on the characters and how they react to each other more than the core story that focuses around Good Shinovi vs. Bad Shinobu or fighting demons.

That said, apparently the main story in Estival Versus builds up to some serious poo poo involving all the characters potentially dying in their fights against the youma and how they need to work together to vanquish the greater evil or something. Not sure yet. English release in less than two weeks so I'll post up on it in the SK thread.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dehry posted:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-tv-discontinued-in-the-us-europe/1100-6435193/

PSTV is also discontinued everywhere but Asia according to a Sony representative. I don't think the earlier Vita TV articles were clear about it.

Really can't wait for PSVR after Sony has repeatedly flushed any hardware that doesn't do well off the bat down the toilet.

"check out this $500 VR headset, from the makers of Vita, PSTV, and The PS Move! "

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its better to drop failing hardware than flushing money down the toilet supporting something no one wants

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

I have a smaller card on hand, just curious if I would have to redownload and be more selective with what I have on hand. I'll probably buy one, thanks for the info all.

i guess judging from what that other guy said it'll be fine, so maybe they changed things. that's good to know if so

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stux posted:

its better to drop failing hardware than flushing money down the toilet supporting something no one wants
or you could release a stillborn product, half-heartedly support it and then quietly brush it under the rug without even giving it an opportunity

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stux posted:

Not really. 3DS bombed out of the gate and Nintendo stuck with it and look where is now.

Sony could have salvaged the Vita but they didn't because they are Sony.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

thorsilver posted:

Yeah the thing you said you want is exactly what Toukiden: Kiwami is: basically Monster Hunter but with barely any farming, no consumable items to worry about, and the bosses are straight-up arena fights. It's really good and the monsters are styled on Japanese mythology which is cool. It's also a really nice looking Vita game that runs at a very consistent framerate which is a rare and precious thing.

Anyone think Kiwami looked really bland? The environments were very gray and all. I just played the demo so idk if it gets brighter later on or not.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

NESguerilla posted:

Not really. 3DS bombed out of the gate and Nintendo stuck with it and look where is now.

Sony could have salvaged the Vita but they didn't because they are Sony.

That's true but supporting 2 systems is really hard for these companies, Microsoft can barely support one and they are the biggest software company in the world.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, if the Vita were thriving I don't think funding games would be an issue. I'm sure trying to fund AAA games for a system no one was buying was a disaster though.

I really think the lack of interest in Vita was mostly poor decisions on Sony's part, not that people inherently wouldn't want one, and they maybe could have saved it with the slim but they barely even tried.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
While I love the Vita, there are so many things wrong with it that happened before it even got released. 3G, overly expensive and necessary proprietary memory cards, a back-touch panel that sounded appealing until you used it for more than 15 seconds, a lack of support for backwards compatibility for several months after release, and a high price point that reflected or worsened all of these problems basically conspired to keep the Vita from being a success. It needed a 2.0 revision that dropped all the bullshit and let the thing use microSD memory and Sony seemed quite intent on not ever letting that happen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah pretty much. The expensive proprietary memory still baffles me. Like, did they get the idea somewhere that all the money was in memory cards? How did it not occur to them that maybe making it incredibly expensive to store games on the loving thing might be something to reconsider with the slim?

I still haven't got a 64gb card because they are such a ripoff and having to clean house on my 16 gig every time I get a new game just makes me not want to buy games for it sometimes. Especially considering a lot of the games are 3+ gigs.

Everything about the vita is a shame because it's such a great piece of hardware.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I think the memory card thing was to try to stop emulations and hacks and whatnot, which would be ok if their proprietary memory cards weren't ridiculously expensive but pretty much spot on for the rest.

They probably underestimated the size potential of the digital market quite badly as well.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They lost the PR battle before the system ever came out.

Nintendo cut the 3DS price to $160, causing people to wait for a Vita price cut.
At E3 the AT&T exclusivity was announced for the 3G model causing people to audibly boo.
Then the Memory Card prices were announced.
The Japanese sales dropped like a rock after the first week and got bundled in to the Sony Corporation money woes stories.
They barely advertised it. The only thing I ever actually saw as a college student was the aforementioned sales drop and a Taco Bell $5 box with a chance to win one.

Then in the first year after launch in the west:

They went all the way down to $180 on a Black Friday sale at Amazon with a Memory Card and game. The rumored price cut looked like it was happening and it didn't.
The 3G model was dropped and could be had cheaply.
They finally did a price cut, just as Pokemon for the 3DS was coming out.
Then the same people that they sold on the OLED screen got pissed when they replaced it with an LCD and probably ended up creating more demand for the older/used models.
Then the PSTV came out in Japan.

So many things went wrong. If they hadn't discontinued the PSP, I think a good portion of the the Japanese games we're getting now would never have come to the Vita. Especially the Visual Novels.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Hey Vita thread, way back years ago in the first Vita thread someone posted a 2 panel comic of a Vita Girl talking about how excited she was to be like her PS3-senpai and then the next panel she was a slob talking about waifus.

Does anyone still have that image? I have been looking for it for like half an hour and I can't seem to find it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I've been playing Lost Dimension since my friend really liked it and I gotta say, it's pretty entertaining. The combat system is nice and I'm already on NG+ to see who's going to be the enemy this time around.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Golden Battler posted:

Hey Vita thread, way back years ago in the first Vita thread someone posted a 2 panel comic of a Vita Girl talking about how excited she was to be like her PS3-senpai and then the next panel she was a slob talking about waifus.

Does anyone still have that image? I have been looking for it for like half an hour and I can't seem to find it.

The best I can offer you is that I remember that comic and it made me laugh. It existed. I don't remember who made it though.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Golden Battler posted:

Here you go:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Panty Quest 2 when?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Nobody predicted the booby future. We all are on the wrong timeline.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Latest releases (photos courtesy of horuhe):

No idea what the hell the last thing is but it's called "Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?? Wonderful Party!" I've always dreamed of having a wonderful party since that one time all kids at kindergarten skipped my 5th birthday party.

Shallie's cover's pretty cool. It's really the closing title for the Dusk trilogy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Shallote is better

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I will play these millions of atelier games someday

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Help Im Alive posted:

I will play these millions of atelier games someday

There's no day like today. Grab Ayesha or Echa&Logy and synthesize away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saoshyant posted:

Latest releases (photos courtesy of horuhe):

No idea what the hell the last thing is but it's called "Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?? Wonderful Party!" I've always dreamed of having a wonderful party since that one time all kids at kindergarten skipped my 5th birthday party.

Shallie's cover's pretty cool. It's really the closing title for the Dusk trilogy.

It's based on an SoL anime that gets translated as 'Is the Order A Rabbit?' I've no idea how you'd turn it into a game, I guess it's a VN where you hang around a cafe all day