Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

Isn't one of the reasons Notch lost a bunch of friends because he bilked his minecraft developing colleagues (who did a good chunk of the actual work while Notch dicked around with online card games no one cared about) out of a shitload of the microsoft money? I think he was technically entitled to it per the letter of their contracts but he could easily have shared it more equally according to input on the game, but got greedy and decided to keep it all. Then when he had it all to himself and lived in a giant mansion, he finally realised money doesn't buy happiness?

Yes. Him and the other two owners of Mojang kept their huge lump sums. Microsoft offered fairly generous sign on bonuses to the rest of the employees, but it was a pittance compared to what Notch made. Even though he handed off his game to another programmer to maintain years before the buy out, and another guy brought on much later. These two guys (Jeb and Dinnerbone) eventually became more synonymous with Minecraft than Notch, probably pulling in way more net sales during their time before Mojang was purchased. Also on his last day he just walked out of the office without saying a single word to anyone, not even goodbyes.

So yeah he can whine about nobody from Mojang liking him anymore when he didn't even put in an effort to be a human being.

Skaw has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
If they wanted money from the sale, perhaps they should have tried owning part of what was being sold?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

FAROOQ posted:

If they wanted money from the sale, perhaps they should have tried owning part of what was being sold?

sure, and as I said per the letter of their contracts, they didn't own dick and it's not like they've tried to sue or anything. But they DID put in a huge amount of work and add an enormous amount of value to what was being sold, and it would have been a nice thing for a friend to acknowledge that financially. Notch wouldn't have even noticed the difference in his vast fortune of giving a payout that reflected how much they'd contributed. He did nothing illegal but it was still a bit of a dick move and it's not really a surprise the guys don't like him.

EDIT: it's the sort of thing you see all the time when bands break up

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The funny part will be if he ever tries to build another platform like Minecraft and can't find good help because everyone knows he'll keep everything for himself.

That's that weird part. He's still a young guy. In 10 years he might want to create something completely new, but none of his old collaborators are going to want anything to do with him without really really good contracts. He didn't have to share his new wealth, but not doing so was pretty short sighted.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cumslut1895 posted:

Are all the threads I bookmark just bleeding together now? Am I about to wake up from a coma or something?

Is there a better thread for it?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

You are also allergic to small talk and know what it takes to be the necessary antidote for this unfortunate diffusive modern malady.

I feel like this is an incantation that, when uttered aloud, results in your house slowly filling with fedoras of unknown origin

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I feel like this is an incantation that, when uttered aloud, results in your house slowly filling with fedoras of unknown origin

I should clarify that this is a heterosexual woman.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Henchman of Santa posted:

I should clarify that this is a heterosexual woman.

You should be her Manic Pixie Dream Boy, show her how to live a carefree life and whatnot. Frolicking, etc.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Krispy Kareem posted:

The funny part will be if he ever tries to build another platform like Minecraft and can't find good help because everyone knows he'll keep everything for himself.

That's that weird part. He's still a young guy. In 10 years he might want to create something completely new, but none of his old collaborators are going to want anything to do with him without really really good contracts. He didn't have to share his new wealth, but not doing so was pretty short sighted.

Holy poo poo you're this naive.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

*tip* m'alady

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Krispy Kareem posted:

This is not how this goes. In ten years, a new young crop of game designers have been popped out of the universities, eager to work in a highly competitive creative field and, naively willing to take risks to ally themselves with a big name to hopefully make their career. Perhaps with notions that the stories from this time are the sort of rumor, or drama that inevitably follows all famous men who take risks, and it will have faded into the past, long replaced with the story that Notch made the best possible decisions for himself, from a business standpoint.

Despite his personal failures, Minecraft and, Notch's name carry a great deal of weight, even if somewhat tarnished. He will recover and, people will be willing to work with him again. All it takes is money, time, and naivete. He didn't even do anything that BAD, he just sold his company and then was a bit of a coward about facing his workers, which is like...a moderate amount of cowardice, in the grand scheme of things.

So yeah, people will keep working with him. People continue to make business deal with goddamn Trump, after all.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Mar 2, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The best part of this is that he's trying to blame all of his sorrows on the difficulty of being a billionaire, rather than his own inability to figure out how to live his life in a constructive manner. Congratulations, you bought a $70 million mansion that you live by yourself in. What else are you doing with your life?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The person I feel worst for in the Minecraft saga is the dude who made Infiniminer.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

1stGear posted:

The person I feel worst for in the Minecraft saga is the dude who made Infiniminer.

That dude made some pretty good and successful puzzle games, so don't worry about him. I think he said in some interview that he wouldn't have made something like minecraft and sold it commercially anyway.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You know what, Notch, this seems like a terrible burden for you, and I've decided to take you place if your wish. I'll take that old weight off your shoulders, buckaroo.

Purely altruistically, you understand.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FAROOQ posted:

Holy poo poo you're this naive.

Oh poo poo, I forgot this was game developing. Scratch what I said. People will work 80 hour weeks for two years just to get laid off two weeks before the game is released and brag about how they work in 'gaming'.

Still, Minecraft is not your typical game and it didn't follow your standard game development process. I'm inclined to say the staff and developers who stayed with the project through it's very long beta were closer to their bigwigs than most game studio employees. Notch had no obligation to reward them beyond their (probably) good paychecks and valuable experience/references. Nevertheless, if he ever wanted to try and repeat his success, it's unlikely the same people who helped him before are going to be as enthusiastic or work as hard to make him another billion dollars.

It's a moot point since he'll probably never make another game and if he does it'll almost certainly suck for reasons beyond him not being overly generous to his staff.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Krispy Kareem posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot this was game developing. Scratch what I said. People will work 80 hour weeks for two years just to get laid off two weeks before the game is released and brag about how they work in 'gaming'.

Yep. I was always quite interested in game development, then I worked with a guy who'd done it. He said the pressure is soul-destroyingly intense, the deadlines near-impossible, especially if Christmas is looming. Small game studios spend all their money on fancy offices and then go bust as soon as the game is finished.

If you have the luxury of being able to develop a game on your own, at your own pace it's great, but small games houses can be a nightmare to work for.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

notch got insanely lucky with minecraft, it's doubtful he'll ever create anything else worthwhile even if he decides to actively work again

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FlyinPingu posted:

notch got insanely lucky with minecraft, it's doubtful he'll ever create anything else worthwhile even if he decides to actively work again
Hasn't he worked on/made two other games with his basically infinite budget that both flopped? Some sort of card game and some sort of space thing?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

I kind of feel like Notch is like a one-hit wonder type of band that were rock stars briefly, made a poo poo load of money, and then tried desperately to cling to fame. Currently the only reason people talk about him is because he's a fat, whiny baby. He's "that guy that made Minecraft" but he doesn't control Minecraft now.

It's funny that he's whining about not having friends because of his money. If he refuses to share his wealth (especially with the people that helped build it) he looks like a stingy, selfish rear end in a top hat hoarding his gold while screaming "no! MINE MINE MINE!!!" He does kind of have a point that he needs to worry about people hanging out with him just because he's rich but for gently caress's sake he's wealthy enough to literally pay people to keep him company.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Minecraft was essentially lighting in a bottle, yes. It's pretty doubtful (but by no means impossible) that he's ever going to create the conditions for it again.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Hasn't he worked on/made two other games with his basically infinite budget that both flopped? Some sort of card game and some sort of space thing?

wikipedia posted:

On 4 April, Mojang revealed the game's title to be 0x10c, set in the year 281,474,976,712,644 AD of a parallel universe.[29] In April 2013, Persson announced that the game was shelved, due to a creative block. In August of that year, he claimed that the game was indefinitely postponed, with the incentive that other Mojang staff members could continue its production should they desire

:laffo:

dude is not a good developer/designer/videogamesman, he just managed to throw together an incredibly simple game based on a solid idea that managed to gather a ton of support super early in development.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
So he's in the 99.9th percentile of game developers.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Wasn't mine craft basically a ripoff of some old open source game that never quite got finished?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Garrand posted:

Wasn't mine craft basically a ripoff of some old open source game that never quite got finished?

Yeah pretty much. It wasn't that Notch had some revolutionary design, it's just that his particular version got noticed first. That said I'd totally go hang out with the dude for some of that sweet, sweet candy room.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
I still don't really get why Minecraft is so popular, but I don't want to derail this sweet thread with my noob gaming attitude.

Scathach posted:

That said I'd totally go hang out with the dude for some of that sweet, sweet candy room.

Yea, that candy wall did look pretty awesome. Kinda sad that it's meant for visitors that he never has, but then again, I wonder if he just says it's for visitors rather than just admit he wanted a candy wall all for himself. I don't know how long I'd be willing to hang out with him just for candy though. Is he known for also having lots of alcohol and/or recreational drugs? Seems like if he had those, people would visit him more. Rich people with booze and drugs are seldom without mooching friends.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Karma Monkey posted:

I still don't really get why Minecraft is so popular, but I don't want to derail this sweet thread with my noob gaming attitude.

Everybody loves Legos.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

He's just weird I guess

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This youtube video has converted me to the true faith of the SJW.

Born again by the power of Genderfluid Let's Play.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't watch it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Neither did I that's just what I imagine to contain.

If the link don't click you must acquit!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

It's incredibly annoying.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chomp8645 posted:

Neither did I that's just what I imagine to contain.

I guess we'll never know

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tetracube posted:

He's just weird I guess

I'm just going to guess he thought he would get a lot of friends if he said he were in this movement or something. Or he thinks that "dance, puppets, dance!" is seen as anything but annoying and stupid.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Karma Monkey posted:

Yea, that candy wall did look pretty awesome. Kinda sad that it's meant for visitors that he never has, but then again, I wonder if he just says it's for visitors rather than just admit he wanted a candy wall all for himself. I don't know how long I'd be willing to hang out with him just for candy though. Is he known for also having lots of alcohol and/or recreational drugs? Seems like if he had those, people would visit him more. Rich people with booze and drugs are seldom without mooching friends.

A man sitting alone in a room full of rotting candy. Seriously, that stuff is perishable, it doesn't just, like, sit there forever bein' ok. Eventually, it will all get loving nasty and have to be thrown away, or melt into a giant foul sugarmess.

There's a low-hanging fruit metaphor for America here that I'm just going to let openly fester for all to enjoy.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Notch is terrible on a lot of levels, but to his (tiny amount of) credit I think his stupid expensive house already had the candy wall on move-in and wasn't just one of his requests. On the other hand, he filled it instead of turning it into some cool fish tanks or something

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
For all of Notch's problems I wouldn't think a wall of snacks would be such a contentious issue. The dude likes eating snacks and he probably has someone to maintain the thing so who gives a poo poo?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lady Naga posted:

For all of Notch's problems I wouldn't think a wall of snacks would be such a contentious issue. The dude likes eating snacks and he probably has someone to maintain the thing so who gives a poo poo?

The sheer amount of snacks on that wall would require him to just stick his mouth under the "faucet" and pour M&Ms directly into his stomach to eat it all before it goes bad or gets attacked by insects.

Ironically, it probably wouldn't have been a problem if he didn't live alone in the 13-bathroom mansion!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

subpar anachronism posted:

Notch is terrible on a lot of levels, but to his (tiny amount of) credit I think his stupid expensive house already had the candy wall on move-in and wasn't just one of his requests. On the other hand, he filled it instead of turning it into some cool fish tanks or something

You can find the video tour of it from when it was for sale, but I can't recall seeing a candy wall on it. It does sound like the kind of dumb thing someone involved in gaming would add himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lady Naga posted:

I wonder if the candyman is his friend. Or do they just like, glance at each other and the guy goes about taking out the old uneaten candy and silently fills it back up before leaving Notch alone again. Or maybe when he hears the knocks on the door Notch hides under the couch like my cat.