Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

rage-saq posted:

The input lag is not bad, its more than fine for gaming, it is at or better than most LCDs that have been made for gaming up until the 120/144hz gaming monitors came out. The TFTCentral review even states its fine for gaming and don't consider the overdrive to be a serious issue.
Sure if you compare it to the $1200 X34 it doesn't do quite as good but thats also approximately twice as expensive as the U3415W.

I'm advocating the refurb X34, if that wasn't clear. I got one for $730 and it's pretty great. Only overclock a to 95hz instead of 100. It also has some bleed or glow but it's acceptable, especially since the corners are further away from the center due to the nature of Ultrawide. Also the product, as a whole, has an issue with the half the backlights not coming back on after waking from sleep but a power cycle fixes that.

Still though, for only about $100-150 more, you're making essentially no compromises compared to the Dell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Anyway, are Dell's outlet/refurbished monitors to be trusted?

I will find out in a week but their return policy seems to be 0 risk.

rage-saq posted:

The input lag is not bad, its more than fine for gaming, it is at or better than most LCDs that have been made for gaming up until the 120/144hz gaming monitors came out. The TFTCentral review even states its fine for gaming and don't consider the overdrive to be a serious issue.
Sure if you compare it to the $1200 X34 it doesn't do quite as good but thats also approximately twice as expensive as the U3415W.

Exactly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm advocating the refurb X34, if that wasn't clear. I got one for $730 and it's pretty great.

. Also the product, as a whole, has an issue with the half the backlights not coming back on after waking from sleep but a power cycle fixes that.

Still though, for only about $100-150 more, you're making essentially no compromises compared to the Dell.

Here's the compromise: it's hard to find in stock, multiple reports of people getting wrong or broken versions. I need a monitor.

And if the Dell won't wake from sleep it'll go back risk free within the return period.

Also, I will use the picture in picture feature to play Xbox while loving around on the rest of the screen. I don't think the x34 does that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So, just to be clear, if I don't give two shits about gaming and latency, I'm fine with the Dell U3415W?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I have the U2415 and it's a great monitor, it goes on sale for $240 pretty often so if you keep an eye on the price you should be able to get a good deal on it.

Unfortunately I'm buying this in :Europe: and I don't know how often sales come here. Right now I'm looking at roughly 300€ as the cheapest shipped unit including taxes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not sure if posted, but the LG 34UC87M-B Ultrawide is currently on massdrop for $699.99

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-34uc87mb-curved-ultrawide

Not sure how good it is or how good a deal, but it's $100 less than on B&H.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Unless I'm missing something about this listing, it looks like green-sum has the 2795QHD marked down to 269.00.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

ijyt posted:

Yes, it's amazing. The price was hard to swallow initially but I have zero complaints. I'm about to head off to work but tell me what details you'd like to know and I'll try my best to answer them.

Does it come with a VESA plate or do you need to order one from ASUS separately?
You should post your photo from the desktop thread, it looks gorgeous.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mcbexx posted:

Does it come with a VESA plate or do you need to order one from ASUS separately?
You should post your photo from the desktop thread, it looks gorgeous.

As far as I'm aware it's already built in, as I'm pretty sure I saw the mount locations when attaching the stand, 100 X 100.

I double checked the user guide and for VESA mounting it says only the stand has to be removed.

And sure thing, it's a very pretty monitor.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So it has the same panel as the predator X34 right? I heard there were lots of quality issues with that one. Are the prices similar? I'm surprised I can't find any head to head comparisons online. One or the other is likely to be my next monitor, too.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I'm looking for a 24" panel for hobby photography/photo editing/design/art with a side of movies. I've already got a gaming panel for racking up sick K:DRs, so I'm not worried about lag or response time; I'm mainly interested in color accuracy. I'm hoping to keep to $500 or under, but it's not a hard cap.

If anyone could offer suggestions or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So it has the same panel as the predator X34 right? I heard there were lots of quality issues with that one. Are the prices similar? I'm surprised I can't find any head to head comparisons online. One or the other is likely to be my next monitor, too.

As far as I'm aware it is the same panel, yes. I don't think ASUS has a very high supply at the moment, but I've had no quality issues with mine and it's likely one of the first off the assembly line. I think the X34 is about £100 cheaper in the UK.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

ijyt posted:

As far as I'm aware it is the same panel, yes. I don't think ASUS has a very high supply at the moment, but I've had no quality issues with mine and it's likely one of the first off the assembly line. I think the X34 is about £100 cheaper in the UK.

Pretty sure they all have the same LG panel in them. The ASUS is priced higher because it doesn't say "Acer" on it, even though I have an early model X34 that is flawless visually but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. If you have the means a 21:9 at 100 (or close) hz is really great. It's a perfect monitor regarding balance imho.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Fruit Chewy posted:

Unless I'm missing something about this listing, it looks like green-sum has the 2795QHD marked down to 269.00.

2 days after I bought one. Awesome...

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm looking for a 24" panel for hobby photography/photo editing/design/art with a side of movies. I've already got a gaming panel for racking up sick K:DRs, so I'm not worried about lag or response time; I'm mainly interested in color accuracy. I'm hoping to keep to $500 or under, but it's not a hard cap.

If anyone could offer suggestions or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Regarding this, does anyone have an experience with the ASUS PA248Q? It looks like it might fit the bill for me at a pretty good price.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TerminalSaint posted:

Regarding this, does anyone have an experience with the ASUS PA248Q? It looks like it might fit the bill for me at a pretty good price.

Here's a fairly in depth review of the PA248Q and here's one of the Dell U2415 which I would consider as an alternative. I have the U2415 and it's a really nice monitor.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Ah, thanks. The Dell looks like an even better option.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
Would you guys recommend a specific cable manufacturer for a 5m+ DisplayPort run? I'd need to drive a Philips BDM4065UC at 4K/60Hz. I know I need a HBR2 cable but that crowd really stars to thin out once you want to go beyond 3m. It seems you're running into serious signal degradation issues with wire lengths over 3m; I wasn't able to find any officially DP-certified cable longer than this.

Uncertified might work; Club3D has an active repeater cable on their site but it's not available commercially yet. There's some crap out there (Startech, etc) that claim to be HBR2 but I tried them and know they just don't work. Then there are the niche guys (like DVIGear) who will happily sell you a purportedly HBR2-rated cable at ridiculous lengths (15m is advertised and they'll do custom cables that are even longer), but they're expensive and sound too good to be true, even though the 5m cable might just work if it uses copper and good connectors.

As an alternative I was thinking of trying an optical Thunderbolt cable. These should be physically compatible with DisplayPort, and I'd just need to tack on a DP/Mini-DP adapter at the computer end. These cables are quite expensive though so I'd only pull the trigger if I knew this isn't a batshit idea: there'd be no actual Thunderboltness involved whatsoever, the cable is to be run between an Nvidia card and the Philips monitor.

Any thoughts?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
My six year old Crossover is slowing developing a shadow after coming out of hibernate so I'm looking at either getting a new one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-CRO...pIAAOSwcBhWXSHl

Anyone have experience with these 4k Crossovers?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Hi Jinx posted:

As an alternative I was thinking of trying an optical Thunderbolt cable. These should be physically compatible with DisplayPort, and I'd just need to tack on a DP/Mini-DP adapter at the computer end. These cables are quite expensive though so I'd only pull the trigger if I knew this isn't a batshit idea: there'd be no actual Thunderboltness involved whatsoever, the cable is to be run between an Nvidia card and the Philips monitor.

Any thoughts?

This dumbass did a similiar thing and it worked perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXgisNly4&t=648s

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 2, 2016

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
After years of using <24in monitors, it's time for me to upgrade. I want to move up to something in the 27in range, definitely 1440p and "borderless" because I'm using two lovely TN screens with massive bezels already. I'm considering the U2715 double monitor option. Are they a solid buy?

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

KingEup posted:

This dumbass did a similiar thing and it worked perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXgisNly4&t=648s

Holy crap, who is this nerd with the ghetto cabling, the ugly hole through the drywall, and 2.4m subscribers?

Anyway, he's running the TB cables between a TB port on the computer and a TB "dock", all by the book. In my case it'd be just between two displayport connections. I guess I can always try and return the cable if it doesn't work. It's pricey but not $800 like this:

http://www.ophit.com/products/product_view.asp?boardid=1&num=17&ptitle=Optic%20fiber%20cable%20:%20DPM2

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Ohhhh DP 1.4. Wonder how long it will be before we see them on widescreens to get that 144hz goodness.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/vesa-releases-displayport-1-4-spec-allowing-8kp60hz.html

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Etrips posted:

Ohhhh DP 1.4. Wonder how long it will be before we see them on widescreens to get that 144hz goodness.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/vesa-releases-displayport-1-4-spec-allowing-8kp60hz.html

Probably years. Remember that 1.3 has been a thing since 2014 and is the new hotness on the horizon for actual products.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hi Jinx posted:

Holy crap, who is this nerd with the ghetto cabling, the ugly hole through the drywall, and 2.4m subscribers?

Anyway, he's running the TB cables between a TB port on the computer and a TB "dock", all by the book. In my case it'd be just between two displayport connections. I guess I can always try and return the cable if it doesn't work. It's pricey but not $800 like this:

http://www.ophit.com/products/product_view.asp?boardid=1&num=17&ptitle=Optic%20fiber%20cable%20:%20DPM2

He's using a $300 Optical Thunderbolt cable though, for a 33-foot run, and the dock is around $300 as well.

I'm tempted to get something like that myself, I've already spent a lot on managing the noise-levels of my PC, but if I could toss the whole PC in a closet down the stairs then route an optical thunderbolt up to a silent terminal that'd be great.

Are there any other practical ways to achieve that besides Thunderbolt? I mean, wireless mouse and keyboard with some kind of DisplayPort extension cable could work, but I've seen that DisplayPort will negotiate to lower its own bandwidth if it detects that it is too long of a cable. I'd imagine that creates all kinds of anomalies. If there was a way to route DisplayPort over Ethernet at ultra-low-latency, that'd be an option.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have a pair of 24" 1080P TN monitors at work and a hugely expensive 27" 1440P IPS (60 Hz) monitor at home (exclusively used for gaming). I'm considering trying out this GSYNC thing that everyone is raving about which would mean replacing the home IPS screen.

For general office use I have no complaints regarding these cheapy work TN monitors (Asus something-or-others, might be $150/pop), and while I would certainly be able to tell a difference in IQ between them and my Eizo IPS, I can't definitely say that one is better than the other for web-browsing and general office work.

However, the IPS glow of my home monitor is really irritating. Given that I don't notice the common TN complaints (poor colors, poo poo viewing angles) on my work screens, I'm thinking about grabbing the Dell S2716DG over one of the IPS based GSYNC monitors since I'm very sensitive to IPS glow. It's my understanding that if I purchase the screen from Dell or Amazon it could be considered a trial period as I can just return it if I decide my current IPS monitor is a better fit.

Coincidentally, does anyone have any thoughts on how a console game would look on one of these? 90% of my time is PC gaming, but it would be nice to hook my PS4 up as well for the odd games I play on it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Hero posted:

I have a pair of 24" 1080P TN monitors at work and a hugely expensive 27" 1440P IPS (60 Hz) monitor at home (exclusively used for gaming). I'm considering trying out this GSYNC thing that everyone is raving about which would mean replacing the home IPS screen.

For general office use I have no complaints regarding these cheapy work TN monitors (Asus something-or-others, might be $150/pop), and while I would certainly be able to tell a difference in IQ between them and my Eizo IPS, I can't definitely say that one is better than the other for web-browsing and general office work.

However, the IPS glow of my home monitor is really irritating. Given that I don't notice the common TN complaints (poor colors, poo poo viewing angles) on my work screens, I'm thinking about grabbing the Dell S2716DG over one of the IPS based GSYNC monitors since I'm very sensitive to IPS glow. It's my understanding that if I purchase the screen from Dell or Amazon it could be considered a trial period as I can just return it if I decide my current IPS monitor is a better fit.

Coincidentally, does anyone have any thoughts on how a console game would look on one of these? 90% of my time is PC gaming, but it would be nice to hook my PS4 up as well for the odd games I play on it.

Well, Dell does not make any IPS G-Sync monitors yet, only a single TN.

Amazon puts a disclaimer on all IPS screens that says something to the effect of "IPS can have backlight bleed and that is normal, so deal with it", so they could conceivably hassle you on a return if you give that as the specific return reason.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Zero VGS posted:

I'm tempted to get something like that myself, I've already spent a lot on managing the noise-levels of my PC, but if I could toss the whole PC in a closet down the stairs then route an optical thunderbolt up to a silent terminal that'd be great.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I have my nasty PC with a PCI expansion enclosure, a huge UPS, a SAS expander, etc, mounted in a 24U rack on casters. I also have a very convenient closet nearby with enough AC to keep it cool, it's just the cabling that I really need to get sorted. Right now my monitor is running at 4K/30Hz, and it's not acceptable. (The video card and the display negotiate down - with a shorter cable I can get 60Hz.)

I only need USB and DisplayPort at my desk; the former is easily extended with active cables, the latter however is proving to be a pain in the neck. I ordered the $300 Thunderbolt cable, we'll see if it works - if it doesn't I may have to spend $800 on the problem.

The issue with DP over Ethernet is that DP1.2a needs 4 lanes at 5.4Gbps each, and 4K@60Hz will almost saturate this bandwidth. You can't fit that into a 10Gb Ethernet cable.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Zero VGS posted:

Amazon puts a disclaimer on all IPS screens that says something to the effect of "IPS can have backlight bleed and that is normal, so deal with it", so they could conceivably hassle you on a return if you give that as the specific return reason.

Not to stray too far off topic but Amazon is pretty awesome with returns. At worst you'll have to pay return shipping if they don't like your reasoning; they'll still take the stuff back within 30 days.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Etrips posted:

DSC = visually lossless compression = artifacts lmao

they dont want to bite the bullet and go for the bandwidth

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Well, Dell does not make any IPS G-Sync monitors yet, only a single TN.

I'm not quite following you, my point was that I'm not considering any IPS GSYNC screens precisely because of the glow that is inherit in the technology, and also that the ones available have horrid QA/QC. I am considering a TN screen just to see how the common complaints (bad colors, viewing angles) shake out when gaming; they aren't an issue for me on my office TN screens which is common application where the complaints come up.

So worse comes to worst I'm out return shipping if I order from Amazon, I can live with that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm not quite following you, my point was that I'm not considering any IPS GSYNC screens precisely because of the glow that is inherit in the technology, and also that the ones available have horrid QA/QC. I am considering a TN screen just to see how the common complaints (bad colors, viewing angles) shake out when gaming; they aren't an issue for me on my office TN screens which is common application where the complaints come up.

So worse comes to worst I'm out return shipping if I order from Amazon, I can live with that.

Oh, in that case if you like the specs for the one Dell G-Sync TN (S2716DG) you might try that first direct from them. They'll do free shipping both ways and will take it back no questions asked, and if you open a chat window on their site they'll happily price-match against Amazon (which you'll want to do since it's like $200 extra on Dell.com).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Malcolm XML posted:

And how do you expect them to get the bandwidth? Active cables?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Anti-Hero posted:

If you're fine with regular crappy monitor for office use, then I think you'll be fine with S2716DG for gaming.

For what it's worth I didn't notice any backlight bleed on mine, the blacks were quite uniform. Just note that if you do get one, it's way bright out of the box and blacks therefore not the deepest. 25% brightness ought to be the calibrated value.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Etrips posted:

1.3 will handle 3440x1440 at 144+ iirc and 4k at 120.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

pigdog posted:

If you're fine with regular crappy monitor for office use, then I think you'll be fine with S2716DG for gaming.

For what it's worth I didn't notice any backlight bleed on mine, the blacks were quite uniform. Just note that if you do get one, it's way bright out of the box and blacks therefore not the deepest. 25% brightness ought to be the calibrated value.

Thanks, and yes - I read the TFTcentral review and was planning on using their settings should I get the monitor.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Malcolm XML posted:

Have you read the whitepaper on it? They ran blind a/b tests, it should be fine. The alternative is $100 cables....

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hows the latency with DSC though?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

xthetenth posted:

And how do you expect them to get the bandwidth? Active cables?

more lanes or finally switch to optical cables.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Have you read the whitepaper on it? They ran blind a/b tests, it should be fine. The alternative is $100 cables....

i'll wait til reviews but i dont hold out hope. lossy compression is difficult to do without losing perceptible detail somewhere.

or have multiple passive cables. each dp 1.3 cable can handle 33 gbps so having 3 is not exactly problematic for static desktops, but it's irritating.

it's possible to do 3:1 and 4:1 actually lossless compression using software like lagarith but since hardware is ruled by cost we can't have nice things :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Actually I just downloaded the test results. It's noticeable. Probably not an issue in practice and certainly will depend a lot on the content since it's cbr.

Get the results here: http://www.vesa.org/faqs/#DSC%20FAQs

e: < 1 scanline of latency and <100k gates is p nice for embedded poo poo though!