Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Number_6 posted:

Went to my Travis Co. polling location (an elementary school) after work tonight and a friend at the front of the line told me he was waiting 45 mins, and the line was longer when I got there than when he did. The line filled a long hallway, took a 90 deg turn and continued down another hallway. Had to be at least an hour wait. I've stood in long lines to vote before, and survived the '08 prima-caucus, but frankly, for this primary, I just don't care that much. Usually I early-vote but I hosed up this time.

Go to http://www.votetravis.com and enter your info. You'll get a list of every polling location near you and the current wait time for it. You can vote in any of those locations, so just see which has the shortest wait and go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

I've seen two people turned away for having the wrong type of ID in the last twenty minutes, including a NASA ID. Hooray Texas.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

citybeatnik posted:

the VoteTravis website still says it's anywhere in the county for today. You can understand my confusion.

Ah, well Travis county is a magical place

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Going to vote in a bit. Would have voted earlier, but I carpool with family and don't have my driver's license yet. Will report on any cute animals or cool old people in the line.

Also, who/what did/will you folks vote for? I'm in agreement with most of what the Chronicle suggested, except for the noncommittal on a Precinct 3 Constable candidate. A.J. Johnson sounds fine, and it's weird how the Chronicle staff wrote him off just because he's passionate about vehicle inspections. That stuff's important, especially considering how common traffic accidents seem in Austin.

Edit: They made everyone turn off their phones at the polling station. Took almost an hour standing in line.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

45 minutes in line so far, woo.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

45 minutes in line so far, woo.

Hillary has won already dude

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

blue squares posted:

Hillary has won already dude

An hour and fifteen minutes.

And i had actually put in some research on the down ballot folks. So should have everyone else. Don't tell me you waited in line just to click the president vote and skimmed through the rest.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

citybeatnik posted:

An hour and fifteen minutes.

And i had actually put in some research on the down ballot folks. So should have everyone else. Don't tell me you waited in line just to click the president vote and skimmed through the rest.

I tried to, but I found no information online, no difference between the Republicans that got a spot in the printed voter guide besides where they used to work and why that makes them the best, and half the drat positions here are just an unopposed Republican anyway.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Wulfolme posted:

I tried to, but I found no information online, no difference between the Republicans that got a spot in the printed voter guide besides where they used to work and why that makes them the best, and half the drat positions here are just an unopposed Republican anyway.

Reading over the Republican ballot proposal stuff while in line was a hoot.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

citybeatnik posted:

Reading over the Republican ballot proposal stuff while in line was a hoot.

I'm curious but scared to know what they were.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh Stickland won his primary.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Molly White is losing to her opponent in Bell County at least. Not sure where I can get results from the whole district.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in WilCo. ballot had nearly all uncontested races; i really liked the Party Plank options. i early voted a week ago and there was no line. what is wrong with you people?

zoux posted:

Ugh Stickland won his primary.

oh come on

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wait what

http://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/02/newly-elected-gop-chair-texas-capitol/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Haha

quote:

“We will explore every single option that exists, whether it be persuading him to resign, trying to force him to resign, constraining his power, removing his ability to spend money or resisting any attempt for him to access data or our social media account,” Mackowiak told the Tribune. “I’m treating this as a coup and as a hostile takeover.”

“Tell them they can go gently caress themselves,” Morrow told the Tribune.

I hope a bunch of little Trumps spring up all over the country to piss off the GOP establishment.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

everyone needs to read that goddamn article

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

That article is one of the wildest rides I've been on in a long time.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's hilarious in a massive train wreck sort of way. Only he's racist as all get out openly, unlike the establishment Republicans.

illcendiary posted:

I'm from the valley and curious, what places do you recommend? Never really tried anything interesting growing up (parents tended towards chain restaurants) and I've lived in Houston/San Antonio all of my adulthood.

I mean it really depends what you're after. There are mom and pop Tex-Mex places around every corner. Most with the same options, differences will come as to if they make their tortillas in house, same with the refried and charro beans. If their chips are fried there at the restaurant, since salsa and or pico is almost always complimentary. Personally I love Taxco here in McAllen, it used to be called Jesse's Restaurant but the owner got a bit too old and sold it off. Menu hasn't changed much and you can still get a slab of fajitas two cheese enchiladas rice and beans for under 10 bucks. Their tracks are good if not normal fare for down here. Which for me having lived in Austin for almost a decade in the mid 00's means it's miles and miles better than what passes for Tex-Mex out there. You live in SA so you should know about Palenque if not find one have some of their stuff it's drat near homemade.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 2, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Texas Politics: Tell them they can go gently caress themselves

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jiro posted:

It's hilarious in a massive train wreck sort of way. Only he's racist as all get out openly, unlike the establishment Republicans.

The best part is that he's not only pissed that people don't like him saying the word that no white man shall utter, he gets actively pissed when the interviewer avoids saying the word and blurts it out.

Literally no self control on his mouth, and is actively upset when other people don't just spew verbal diarrhea like he does. It's glorious and I look forward to watching the damage he does to the Texas Republicans. :allears:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Once again, this loving dweeb is going to be the US Rep for this loving gerrymandered district.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Damage? I'm pretty sure that Republicans are going to eat up his rhetoric like it's Franklin BBQ. Just check out the shitheel in District 92 that the thread was talking about earlier.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ReidRansom posted:

Although I early voted two weeks ago, and we have a thing here where you can just go vote at any location, I did get a text from some Sanders volunteer reminding me to vote and telling me where to go based on my address. That was nice of them. Because I basically only respond to texts.

I always wondered who uses the text option in van.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It's about time Texas got an elected official who wasn't handcuffed by people's feel-feels and said the hard truths.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

soupcan58 posted:

I'm curious but scared to know what they were.
Proposition 1:
Texas should replace the property tax system with an alternative other than an income tax and require voter approval to increase the overall tax burden.
Proposition 2:
Texas cities and counties should be required to comply with federal immigration laws or be penalized by loss of state funds.
Proposition 3:
Texas should prohibit governmental entities from collecting dues for labor unions through deductions from public employee paychecks.
Proposition 4:
Texas and its citizens should strongly assert 10th Amendment Rights guaranteed by the US Constitution which states “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

quote:

“You are a perfect example of what the Trump movement is revolting against because you can’t even pronounce the word n----- when you are talking about a Facebook post,” Morrow said. “What a pathetic excuse for a reporter you are.”

:lol: can't wait to hear more from this guy

All else aside, what the hell is going on with his hair?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Wendy Davis had an estate sale.

http://freebeacon.com/politics/i-bought-wendy-davis-pink-sneakers/

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

quote:

The only political case I could think of remotely similar to Davis’ estate sale was when Hillary Clinton, who Davis was campaigning for this past weekend, deducted $2 from her taxes for donating used underwear to charity.

gross

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Anyone have county-level maps of the primary results? I can fine the actual results, just not presented in a handy map.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

Anyone have county-level maps of the primary results? I can fine the actual results, just not presented in a handy map.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2016/mar/01/super-tuesday-results-live-state-by-state for presidential results

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Wow, check out Armstrong County in the Panhandle. Bernie won the Democratic primary by 60 points there. He got four votes and Hillary got one. There are exactly five democrats voting in that whole county.

The panhandle is a weird, weird place.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Robert Morrow is a goddamn crazy person. If that's not obvious from the Texas Tribune article, here

http://nomoremister.blogspot.com/2016/03/insane-new-gop-chair-in-texas-county-is.html?m=1

That loving facebook post. 25,000 people voted for this man.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Thanks!

Here's the winner of Texas' 19th GOP primary, with a not-so-good-lookin' Bob Knight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmKTbJ83vQ8

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hillary won Travis county haha

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Wait, what? Last I saw, Sanders had taken Travis county.

Yeah, just went and checked. Sanders led by a hair over 4k votes. Not that it made a difference in the end, but still, I wasn't sure if I was just imagining things with that.

EDIT:

citybeatnik posted:

Four crazy propositions

Well, at least that was at about the level of crazy I was expecting. I don't know how good or bad that is, though.

soupcan58 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 3, 2016

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Just heard on the radio that Molly White did in fact lose her primary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Just heard on the radio that Molly White did in fact lose her primary.

I think the Tea Party candidates had an advantage with Ted Cruz driving them to the polls, so it's extra lol she couldn't hang on in that environment.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

there's no way that dude is legally permitted to be within 500 yards of a school.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I think the Tea Party candidates had an advantage with Ted Cruz driving them to the polls, so it's extra lol she couldn't hang on in that environment.

As far as I can tell the only difference between them is that Shine is a former rep and said he wouldn't ask muslims to pledge allegiance in his office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Unofficial Bexar county election results:
http://home.bexar.org/el45a.htm

Trey Martinez Fischer lost.:(

And Grady Yarbrough won. (His website gives off a faint "crazy religious fucker" vibe).
http://www.gradyyarbroughjr.com/

On the plus side, that fucker Lauro A. Bustamante lost, and that was probably one of the more important elections:
District Judge, 438th Judicial District
Vote for 1
(WITH 712 OF 712 PRECINCTS COUNTED)
Lauro A. Bustamante . . . . . . . 38,083 41.07
Rosie Alvarado. . . . . . . . . 54,654 58.93
http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/columnists/gloria_padilla/article/Voters-beware-Know-your-Bustamantes-5721884.php
(Artile is talking about a past election, but everything else is still very relevant.)

quote:

Every election draws perennial candidates, and in elections with low voter turnout, they do more than just clutter up the ballot. They can actually get elected.

San Antonio lawyer Lauro Bustamante is one of those serial candidates.

An informal review of the Express-News archives indicates he has made bids for San Antonio City Council, mayor, justice of the peace, Congress, 4th Court of Appeals and multiple district court seats during the past 17 years.

There is something to be said for persistence, because some sort of name recognition is bound to develop, even if for the wrong reason.

In Bustamante's case, his frequent filing has worked to his advantage. In 2010, he was elected to the Edwards Aquifer Authority and will be finishing his four-year term in December. In the spring, he won the Democratic nomination in his bid for the 224th District Court bench against Michele Petty, an experienced and better-credentialed opponent. He took 51 percent of the vote.

This fall, Bustamante, 62, will be going up against Republican Cathy Stryker.

Bustamante was licensed to practice law more than 28 years ago and has had a colorful legal career. In May 2008, the State Bar of Texas suspended Bustamante from the practice of law for two years for professional misconduct. The first month was an active suspension; he was placed on probation for the remaining period.

The disciplinary action was due to his actions regarding his 1998 divorce. His failure to comply with the divorce decree prompted his ex-wife, Maria Bustamante, to file lawsuits in state and federal courts to force Bustamante to hand over what he had been ordered to pay.

The legal proceedings dragged on for years. According to court documents, Bustamante ignored court orders and was jailed twice for contempt of court. He was also found to have lied under oath — hiding assets and filing frivolous lawsuits against anyone who interceded on his ex-wife's behalf.

In a 2005 ruling, Bankruptcy Court Judge Ronald B. King found that Bustamante had created a “sham” real estate partnership to manage an office building he owned on South New Braunfels Avenue under the name of his aging mom.

It is regrettable the State Bar did not seek disbarment, which would have put end to Bustamante's ambitions to serve as judge. Instead, we can only hope voters do their homework before they head to the polls, because there are two Bustamantes on the ballot in the November general election.