Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Well in my defence the fact that it was a blind corner may have tipped you off to the fact that they did a U-Turn across double center lines. If I had been in a heavy vehicle I may not have had time to slow down enough to avoid them. They should have taken the slightly longer route to their destination that didn't involve a dangerous illegal turn.

1. Can you post a Google Maps link to that particular intersection? Because I don't think what he did qualifies as a U-turn and I'd like to check it out for myself.

2. If you are in ANY vehicle, not just a heavy vehicle, and you are driving so fast around a blind turn that you wouldn't be able to stop in time for the sudden appearance of another vehicle, a boulder, a pedestrian, etc., you are a dangerous driver and should be kept off the roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Sagebrush posted:

1. Can you post a Google Maps link to that particular intersection? Because I don't think what he did qualifies as a U-turn and I'd like to check it out for myself.

2. If you are in ANY vehicle, not just a heavy vehicle, and you are driving so fast around a blind turn that you wouldn't be able to stop in time for the sudden appearance of another vehicle, a boulder, a pedestrian, etc., you are a dangerous driver and should be kept off the roads.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/River+St+%26+Elbow+St,+West+Kempsey+NSW+2440/@-31.0810541,152.8247761,17z/

Penis Monkey I think you'll like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCfR71wdadE

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

That depends on the road.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

That depends on the road.

Agreed, but I think a road where you have on street angled parking like that is one where you should expect slow / stopped traffic. The video makes it look like the caravan is making a right turn onto the road, and another right off of it... But how would this have been a better situation if someone was pulling into or out of those parking spaces instead of hauling a caravan around?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

How the hell does it "depend on the road"? It's literally called the "basic speed law" in California and it completely makes sense.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

While I'd hope you would never have a "blind curve" on an interstate, there's no way you can realistically drive on one outside of rush hour where you'd be able to avoid obliterating some idiot who decides to run into traffic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Interstate highways are a slightly different situation because they're controlled-access and heavily patrolled. The chances of coming across a kid chasing a ball or a boulder that hasn't been cleaned up are pretty minimal. However, they still shouldn't be designed to include blind curves of such a radius that the average vehicle travelling at the average speed couldn't stop in the available visual distance. And the fact that interstates regularly produce multi-car collisions where drivers are unable to stop in time is proof that they're still problematic.

On any other road, you're a goddamned moron if you outdrive your braking distance. It doesn't matter if you know the road like the back of your hand and you can totally take this curve at 55 even though it's marked 20. If you can't see as far ahead as it'll take you to stop, you've just turned the first unexpected obstacle into an inevitable accident.

Ask me how I know!

e: just for the record, though, I did once come over a hill on I-280 to see a loving aluminum ladder sitting in my (the rightmost) lane. I braked heavily and veered onto the shoulder in case someone was tailgating and zoned out, but if I'd been going much faster that may not have been an option. There's no way to prepare for those situations other than driving at a reasonable speed for the road.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 1, 2016

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I agree, Sagebrush.

You're always going to be able to construct some scenario to justify, in some sense, statements like "it depends on the road" (and whether or not there's a guy jumping off an overpass to commit suicide, or a kid playing in traffic, or fallout-esque armageddon scenarios, or ...), but it's extremely short-sighted to try to use that to justify a general case, or, for example, "that caravan was totally in the wrong because there's nothing I could've done because of the road, man".

Cartoon could've stood on the brakes as soon as he saw it - or poo poo, tickled them a little, he didn't have to stand on them - and that whole thing would've been a non-issue. It certainly wasn't worth posting, and it pretty clearly shows poor decision making and driving skills. Not to mention a pretty serious anger problem.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Earlier this same day my friend asked me if I had captured anything cool on my dashcam yet. Fucker jinxed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-kRDSbTlhQ

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Nondescript Van posted:

Earlier this same day my friend asked me if I had captured anything cool on my dashcam yet. Fucker jinxed me.

Dang, that sucks. Any additional details? Did the guy stop/apologize or anything? The most recent US crash compilation I watched had 3 hit-and-runs so now I'm convinced that it's happening all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQKXn4AhXE

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Beep beep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdZk2etdQtY

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

Dang, that sucks. Any additional details? Did the guy stop/apologize or anything? The most recent US crash compilation I watched had 3 hit-and-runs so now I'm convinced that it's happening all the time.

Not a hit a run. He was pretty dazed. No injuries, cops were there in a few minutes, witnesses gave statements so cops didn't even need to look at the video. Car was totaled since it was an 07 pontiac g5 so now I have a better car.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I don't understand why all the descriptions say "ride" of way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nondescript Van posted:

Not a hit a run. He was pretty dazed. No injuries, cops were there in a few minutes, witnesses gave statements so cops didn't even need to look at the video. Car was totaled since it was an 07 pontiac g5 so now I have a better car.

I think your friend did you a favor.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I wish someone would write off my car.

Preferably while Im not in it, and after I take all the good aftermarket poo poo off.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think your friend did you a favor.

Yeah that's what everybody said. I liked the car well enough but now I seem to care about cars since I had to buy a new one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

I wish someone would write off my car.

Preferably while Im not in it, and after I take all the good aftermarket poo poo off.

Your insurance companies must move a lot faster than the ones here. They move so slow with claim processing here that you could have the entire car parted out into the bare unibody using only a toothpick by the time opposing party sends an adjuster.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Your insurance companies must move a lot faster than the ones here. They move so slow with claim processing here that you could have the entire car parted out into the bare unibody using only a toothpick by the time opposing party sends an adjuster.

When I had my accident, it took the insurance company so long to process it that the check they wrote to the towing company for towing+holding my car was larger than they check they wrote me for the value of the car itself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nondescript Van posted:

Yeah that's what everybody said. I liked the car well enough but now I seem to care about cars since I had to buy a new one.

Did you buy a nondescript van?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Australia is weird (read: better than the USA) in that when you pay for car insurance, you call your insurer and they handle all the work for you. they send out their assessor, they liaise with the other parties insurance, and so on.

My car was rear ended 7 years ago (so zero my fault) and I had my assessor out the next day to look over the car and it was repaired within a month.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Did you buy a nondescript van?

I did not. That wouldn't have really fit me as I am not a generic criminal.

Laserface posted:

Australia is weird (read: better than the USA) in that when you pay for car insurance, you call your insurer and they handle all the work for you. they send out their assessor, they liaise with the other parties insurance, and so on.

My car was rear ended 7 years ago (so zero my fault) and I had my assessor out the next day to look over the car and it was repaired within a month.

That's exactly how it was for me. I called my insurance company, gave my statement, sent them the police report that had the wrecker service info in it, left a police release with the wrecker service, and they handled everything else. I had a check the next week.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A goon in another thread got $3200 for their 2000 Chevy Malibu when it was totaled. :psyduck:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CharlesM posted:

A goon in another thread got $3200 for their 2000 Chevy Malibu when it was totaled. :psyduck:

It's crazy, if the comparables locally are overpriced you'll often make a decent amount. I once gave a guy around 2k for his clapped out late 90s Accent.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

davebo posted:

I don't understand why all the descriptions say "ride" of way.

It's some inside joke on the channel, I think he accidentally used "ride" instead of "right" in one of his videos and people went nuts about it in the comments so now he puts it all the time just to annoy them.

Bovril Delight posted:

It's crazy, if the comparables locally are overpriced you'll often make a decent amount. I once gave a guy around 2k for his clapped out late 90s Accent.

A buddy of mine got over 3k a 5 years ago for his horrific 90's Neon missing half its paint when it got stolen. We joked that the deposit for the empty soda cans he had in the car were worth more than the car itself. :iiam:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Scruff McGruff posted:

It's some inside joke on the channel, I think he accidentally used "ride" instead of "right" in one of his videos and people went nuts about it in the comments so now he puts it all the time just to annoy them
Is the Fair Use disclaimer on a video that's monetizing other people's poo poo also to annoy them?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

On my way home from work today, I had the typical white van driver right up my backside, tailgating so hard I couldn't even see his headlights in my rear view mirror and swerving and looking like he was trying to overtake constantly, despite traffic and absolutely no room at all to get a van past. When I finally took my left turn, he passed me so closely I was 100% sure he was gonna bust my right side mirror.

So in light of this, and my recent bullshit insurance case where some bitch claimed I merged right over into her, and I had a hell of a time arguing with my insurance company since I only had forward-facing video, I've decided to get another dashcam and move my current cam to the rear window.

I've ordered the StreetGuardian SG9665GC, since it gets great reviews, and because it's basically an improved version of the B40/A118 I have now, so I can just reuse the mount and everything else. They also say the power supply is improved to reduce radio interference, so I'll probably swap that as well. The noisy power supply will be fine in the rear of the car.

It was a bit pricy at ~£200, but it's still less than my deductible.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 4, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cross post from the 'people you share a road with' thread.

This is from my commute this morning. A 2+ year old G1W attached with the included suction cup mount. Sort of shows how shaky the window mount is, and thanks to the wide angle lens it looks small and far away. Keep an eye on the white pickup in the lane to my left that is taking the exit to the flyover ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KusSsa_7N5w

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How the gently caress did they pull that one off?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That is an incredible amount of accuracy for someone without the visual ability to see a large white pickup truck or the proper fuckin lane on the interstate.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm guessing that the 'fault' here was pretty clear to the officer who responded, since I called DPS and gave them my name and number, and told them that I saw the accident and had it recorded on dash cam, and they never called me back.

I bet there are some clearly visible crossing marks on the gore point, because although it doesn't show up in the video, there was a rather large cloud of dust kicked up by that idiotic crossing maneuver. Oh, and that little blue car wasn't doing that from the HOV lane, he pulled that stunt from the lane I was in.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why in the world would police investigate a minor traffic offence recorded on your camera? Or was there an actual accident? I'm watching it on the phone and can't see every detail.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Nitrox posted:

Why in the world would police investigate a minor traffic offence recorded on your camera? Or was there an actual accident? I'm watching it on the phone and can't see every detail.

Actual accident. Car on the right hit the truck on the left when they did their super gotta-make-this-exit-now move.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nitrox posted:

What PenisMonkey said. The impact was actually pretty significant, and I was pleasantly surprised that neither vehicle over-reacted to the impact and lost control. I fully expected the little car to bounce too far right and hit the barrier at the end of the gore point.

I gave my info to the DPS so that if there was any question of who was at fault (like the little car driver made up some story about what happened) the officer could make a simple phone call and get a witness account. Cost me nothing to do that so that the driver of the truck didn't get hosed. There was a car to my left when it happened or I would have gotten over and followed them to give my info, but I didn't feel inclined to cause a wreck trying to get over.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The guy that does these videos is a real tool. He compiles other people's dashcam clips and regularly initiates pissing matches with other people who 'steals' the same content for their own compilation videos.

His videos are typically 4-5 minutes long of which 2 minutes are a legalese babble disclaimer and a screen asking people to like his videos and subscribe (and occasionally asks people to downrate/unsubscribe other car crash video compilers who 'steal' his content). Below is his babble screen:

Attention folks, he's going to teach us to be better drivers and express his take on the accidents!

His take on accidents is typically filled with Engrish, and he loves calling out speeders, when things are 'felonies' and when people have the 'ride of way'

For example:

The Mini driver 'overturned' and 'lost traction'(he means 'oversteer'). The speed limit is there for a reason!

Here's his 'obvuously ride of way' where he educates us to 'yield accordlingly'

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 7, 2016

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

That doesn't surprise me, unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of U.S. up-to-date crash compilation channels that I've found. The only other good one I watched basically got shut down by the guy that runs this channel because he would get people to report copyright violations on every video (despite, from what I understand, the other channels owner being pretty clear that he got express permission for every clip in his comps). YouTube channel pissing contests are so stupid.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I figure I need something a little better than an old Moto X running a dashboard cam app. Also my daughter is getting her license and will be driving my car whenever she has some place to go. So I need something that requires absolutely zero effort to work and doesn't get in her way.

What's the most recent consensus on a good dashboard cam in the $100 to $150 range? I was looking at this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UURTAS6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=A1IK4DSVX9W62A) but I was iffy on the video quality. I didn't know if something with a wider aperture would make that much of a difference.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I think the consensus is still that the mobius is the best bang for your buck. Should be easily in that price range.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

I think the consensus is still that the mobius is the best bang for your buck. Should be easily in that price range.

As someone that's owned a number of cameras, none of them Mobius', get a Mobius. They're reliable, small, easy to install (or upgrade/mod), and are inexpensive.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I prefer the B40/A118 form factor:

https://dashcamtalk.com/b40-a118/

But there are some reports of reliability problems, so YMMV. Mine has been fine so far. I've ordered the fancy-pants version (SG9665GC), which is based on completely different hardware and a much better lens, but has the same casing. It's also significantly more expensive, but that form factor is just perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

`Nemesis posted:

Wow, I didn't see that in any of my searches on Amazon. It looks pretty ideal except for the lack of a LCD screen (which is probably a plus except for the initial setup).

Is heat a problem with these? On Amazon people seemed to be going to great extremes to cool the camera off (adding heat sinks and reflective materials).