Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Nova prime is a dollar right now.

Buy it.

The only launcher you should be using is Google Now, and this should be on by default because you should also be using a phone with stock Android like the Nexus or even at a stretch the Moto line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Internet Explorer posted:

A simple "I've already opened a ticket with Google and they are giving me the run-around" would have probably worked. No one claimed that the Nexus 5x was ever the best phone on the market, period. But it sounds like yours has a hardware defect or you have a buggy app. Personally, I would wipe the thing and install minimal apps for a few weeks. If it still did it, I would tell them it rebooted while in Safe Mode. They aren't going to go through the effort to "catch" you and at that point, it's really on them. They maintain Android and they shouldn't allow apps to be able to crash the phone, and if they do, they should be able to have you get logs that can pinpoint the issue without crippling your phone with Safe Mode for an extended period of time.

P.S. It's not just this thread. Any technical thread is the same way because you have to balance having a discussion without giant walls of text that include every last detail.

No one claimed the 5X was the best on the market, but everyone claims universally that "Nexus is the best". Look at all of the recent posts about "Nexus" - occasionally someone specifies "Nexus 6P" but it's always - "Nexus phones this" "Nexus line that", always in the context of "the nexus line being the best bet for a pure android experience/long term support". Right now, I can sum up my first "pure android experience" on my "Nexus line hardware" in one word: unstable. The fact that I can have a supported unstable device ( potentially ) for the next 18 months is really not much of a "bonus".

Whether that is some sort of inherent design flaw either with Marshmallow or with an app(s) designed for Lollipop bugging out with the 5X hardware ( maybe I wouldn't have this problem with a 6P but again - I don't have some crazy sideloaded apps running on here, it's all pretty basic poo poo ), I don't know. Maybe it's just bad luck.

Maybe, this is what I get for being an early adopter on the bleeding edge of the OS updates, maybe the "nexus experience" of paying to beta test an OS and hardware is not for me. Certainly if I had just waited until this time instead of being impatient, I wouldn't have bought a 5X ( or a 6P because I don't like the size, the 810, and the bending weak spot - trivial as those are ) and would be looking at something else.

I just think it's disingenuous to praise "the nexus line" as essentially infallible, when that doesn't appear to be the case.

Thermopyle posted:

This doesn't have anything to do with "this" thread.

Fair point.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm sorry your phone is broken. It couldn't have possibly broke if you bought an LG.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Your phone is broken.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TollTheHounds posted:

No one claimed the 5X was the best on the market, but everyone claims universally that "Nexus is the best". Look at all of the recent posts about "Nexus" - occasionally someone specifies "Nexus 6P" but it's always - "Nexus phones this" "Nexus line that", always in the context of "the nexus line being the best bet for a pure android experience/long term support". Right now, I can sum up my first "pure android experience" on my "Nexus line hardware" in one word: unstable. The fact that I can have a supported unstable device ( potentially ) for the next 18 months is really not much of a "bonus".

Whether that is some sort of inherent design flaw either with Marshmallow or with an app(s) designed for Lollipop bugging out with the 5X hardware ( maybe I wouldn't have this problem with a 6P but again - I don't have some crazy sideloaded apps running on here, it's all pretty basic poo poo ), I don't know. Maybe it's just bad luck.

Maybe, this is what I get for being an early adopter on the bleeding edge of the OS updates, maybe the "nexus experience" of paying to beta test an OS and hardware is not for me. Certainly if I had just waited until this time instead of being impatient, I wouldn't have bought a 5X ( or a 6P because I don't like the size, the 810, and the bending weak spot - trivial as those are ) and would be looking at something else.

I just think it's disingenuous to praise "the nexus line" as essentially infallible, when that doesn't appear to be the case.

Fair point.

The Nexus line of phones is epic, mostly flawless, and best-in-class. Look pal, if you're going to be bodyslamming your phone or suplexing it, or installing dangerous hacker software on your innocent phone then you accept all responsibility. Don't come crying to us when your perfect phone starts to buckle and break under the weight of your brutality.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Valeyard posted:

The only launcher you should be using is Google Now, and this should be on by default because you should also be using a phone with stock Android like the Nexus or even at a stretch the Moto line

Google Now Launcher is incompatible with Samsung Knox, or I would. Nova is better in most ways, I do miss the Now screen on the far left home screen though.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nova launcher prime is far superior to Google now launcher so says my subjective opinion.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TollTheHounds posted:

Nobody except the YOSPOS trolls that you idiots keep falling for thinks this. Well, the trolls don't think it either of course.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
My G4 is awesome. It is awesomer because it has a removable battery, removable storage and grip tape, and I wouldn't trade it for either of the current Nexus devices.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm sorry your phone is broken. It couldn't have possibly broke if you bought an LG.

Shadowgate posted:

Your phone is broken.

Good grief, my point isn't that LG is infallible, or any other vendor, my point is that *Nexus* does not equal infallible. Even if I weren't experiencing issues that indicate my phone is broken, "stock android" itself hasn't improved my life coming from a Sony ROM on Lollipop ( I know this is subjective ). I'm just providing a counter-point in support of those people who don't have a Nexus who might be considering one, to probably not consider a 5X if they're going to consider the "nexus line" at all. I'm also providing a counter-point that if security patch levels are more or less equal ( to me, if the patches are a month or 2 old, that isn't a deal breaker ), you actually may be better off sticking with an OEM because you won't get the updates until a few months later when the kinks have been worked out ( if any ) of a new/major OS update. This has a side benefit of allowing app developers to potentially update their apps such that you may not experience as many issues as someone upgrading right away with a Nexus.

This isn't ruining my life, it's not unusable, it's just not a "great" experience and wasn't worth the cost to upgrade for me.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 3, 2016

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

grack posted:

My G4 is awesome. It is awesomer because it has a removable battery, removable storage and grip tape, and I wouldn't trade it for either of the current Nexus devices.

Mods? Can we get rid of this loving troll?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I for one enjoy the blurry photos my Nexus 6 takes unless I put it on a tripod and make sure the subject is frozen in time

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Valeyard posted:

One minute you are groping virtual titties, and then the snapdragon heater kicks in and blinds you

A risk I'm personally willing to take

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Valeyard posted:

One minute you are groping virtual titties, and then the snapdragon heater kicks in and blinds you

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Smythe posted:

Mods? Can we get rid of this loving troll?

All of it is true. Even the grip tape.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Nexus phones are awesome. Top of the line. Until the next model comes out, in which case you find out that the last model actually sucked and got terrible battery life. The good news is you'll get a software update which will be buggy for the first three months because Google only really bug tests it on the current Nexus.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Valeyard posted:

I love Nova prime on my 6P. So no.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Nexus phones are awesome. Top of the line. Until the next model comes out, in which case you find out that the last model actually sucked and got terrible battery life. The good news is you'll get a software update which will be buggy for the first three months because Google only really bug tests it on the current Nexus.

I went from a Nexus 4 to a 6p and have had nonstop ownage

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nexus phones and tablets have been riddled with serious software and hardware issues since GNex and/or they're overly huge. Software updates only wouldn't make me buy a Nexus, the hardware must be good in the long run. Samsung is the only Android company which makes good and reliable hardware, and when the phone runs out of warranty and software support ends, there's lots of great roms you can use.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Samsung is the only Android company which makes good and reliable hardware

They literally built their reputation on a phone that had a disconnected GPS antenna from the factory and had internal storage that failed with only a couple months of use.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Nexus phones and tablets have been riddled with serious software and hardware issues since GNex and/or they're overly huge. Software updates only wouldn't make me buy a Nexus, the hardware must be good in the long run. Samsung is the only Android company which makes good and reliable hardware, and when the phone runs out of warranty and software support ends, there's lots of great roms you can use.

it would be nearly impossible to craft a post so insanely backwards, wrong, and depraved even if you hired the most disturbed horror writers of all time, dead or alive, and assembled them on the forums.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ihmemies posted:

and when the phone runs out of warranty and software support ends, there's lots of great roms you can use.

This thought is what pushed me over the edge (hurrr). I preordered my Galaxy S7 tonight (actually not the Edge, 2big4me). "Oh, hey, by the time they stop updating it, it'll have CM15 or whatever the hell."

I did it while thinking of you, Smythe. :allears:

(because I know he'll take this post at face value, of loving course not really :thejoke:)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Smythe posted:

I went from a Nexus 4 to a 6p and have had nonstop ownage

I went from a Nexus 4 to an LG G3 to a Nexus 6P and totally regretted the LG - the hardware was okay but the software was just appalling, ugly, laggy, unstable

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Crossposting here because I'm very frustrated and desperate for help.
My boyfriend, bless his heart, got me a moto 360 gen 2 watch as a gift, but the thing has driven me to insanity trying to get google maps to show on the watch.

Infodump:

The phone is a Galaxy S5 v5.0
The watch has v 5.0.1
Maps is updated to latest version (v9.21.0 or somesuch)

The thing is, I think the Android Wear app is the issue because when I look at the android wear app, I can't see google maps on there.

There are certain "actions" that you can map to certain apps, like 'Take a note' can be linked to commander or google note. But actions that require maps like "Call a car" or "navigate" or "start a run" are greyed out.

So can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to solve it? Is it a software issue?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

McCloud posted:

Crossposting here because I'm very frustrated and desperate for help.
My boyfriend, bless his heart, got me a moto 360 gen 2 watch as a gift, but the thing has driven me to insanity trying to get google maps to show on the watch.

Infodump:

The phone is a Galaxy S5 v5.0
The watch has v 5.0.1
Maps is updated to latest version (v9.21.0 or somesuch)

The thing is, I think the Android Wear app is the issue because when I look at the android wear app, I can't see google maps on there.

There are certain "actions" that you can map to certain apps, like 'Take a note' can be linked to commander or google note. But actions that require maps like "Call a car" or "navigate" or "start a run" are greyed out.

So can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to solve it? Is it a software issue?

Well for one, the Moto 360v2 is now at 6.0.1 so check for a system update there. Second thing I'd do is either reset the watch or at least resync the apps, both options for which are located in the system settings of the watch. Lastly I'd make sure the watch has been rebooted recently (and obviously the system update will do this) because whenever I'd had Wear weirdness, that's fixed it.

Once you've rebooted, updated, and refreshed the apps or alternately reset the watch and the problem persists, we'll try looking into some other options.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Daily Forecast posted:

This thought is what pushed me over the edge (hurrr). I preordered my Galaxy S7 tonight (actually not the Edge, 2big4me). "Oh, hey, by the time they stop updating it, it'll have CM15 or whatever the hell."

Oh that's cute, he thinks he'll be able to load any custom ROM on it ever :nallears:

If the security's done right you won't be able to during the useful life of the phone, and if it isn't you probably don't want the phone.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 20, 2018

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MC Hawking posted:

I must be an outlier here because I can't really say I experience a lot of jitter on my N5x. Sometimes it'll bump stuff out of memory aggressively but lets face it, EA can't code for poo poo and Bejeweled Classic is a big honker. :shobon:
My parents both have a 5X and I've never noticed any jank on either.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tunga posted:

My parents both have a 5X and I've never noticed any jank on either.

I wouldn't trust my parents to notice something was wrong with their electronics unless it was on fire.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MC Hawking posted:

I must be an outlier here because I can't really say I experience a lot of jitter on my N5x. Sometimes it'll bump stuff out of memory aggressively but lets face it, EA can't code for poo poo and Bejeweled Classic is a big honker. :shobon:

Goons reify their own IT nightmares through the dark ritual of destructive janitoring.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Smythe posted:

Goons reify their own IT nightmares through the dark ritual of destructive janitoring.

My N5x is pretty janky. I'm peak YOSPOS, but this phone is 100% stock, not rooted or anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, ditto for mine. You would never know the 5x and the MXP were running the same hardware underneath, the MXP is a ton smoother in operation.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

I wouldn't trust my parents to notice something was wrong with their electronics unless it was on fire.
That's why I said "I've". I have to fix and explain things for them all the time and both devices perform consistently well for me. We also have a 5X at work, it's my favourite test device.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I've been a Nexus user since the GNex and I think this time around I'm gonna go with an S7 because the only reason I have rooted my phone is so I can Titanium Backup my Nero Atsume between full data wipes for upgrades and also I'd like to take pictures with a phone with camera quality from the last 5 years.

Also Google Now really wants me to read Fox News and Gawker like all the time

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Oh that's cute, he thinks he'll be able to load any custom ROM on it ever :nallears:

If the security's done right you won't be able to during the useful life of the phone, and if it isn't you probably don't want the phone.

Yes because that was totally true for the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S6

oh wait

I plan to keep this thing for a couple plus years. Marshmallow is coming to the Galaxy S5 (uh, eventually) and it started on Kitkat, so if the S7 ends its life on Android Oreo (Orange Creamcicle? Oatmeal Raisin?) then I don't find that to be dissatisfying at all. Maybe by then there will be a Galaxy S9 or a Nexus that isn't a dismal hardware failure (seriously, every Nexus has something wrong with it) I'd wanna upgrade to anyway.

v Can't imagine why not, they're both microUSB.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 3, 2016

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm upgrading from the galaxy s4 to the S7. Should the S4 charger work with the S7 and be completely compatible? I'd like to use it as a backup at work.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

dustbin posted:

I'm upgrading from the galaxy s4 to the S7. Should the S4 charger work with the S7 and be completely compatible? I'd like to use it as a backup at work.

Assuming it's Micro USB still, yes. It probably won't do quick charging though. Edit: I'm still using my old Samsung Infuse (good 'ole Froyo) charger for my htc one.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Well for one, the Moto 360v2 is now at 6.0.1 so check for a system update there. Second thing I'd do is either reset the watch or at least resync the apps, both options for which are located in the system settings of the watch. Lastly I'd make sure the watch has been rebooted recently (and obviously the system update will do this) because whenever I'd had Wear weirdness, that's fixed it.

Once you've rebooted, updated, and refreshed the apps or alternately reset the watch and the problem persists, we'll try looking into some other options.

Hi again. First of all, upon further inspection, it was a Moto 360v1, so I got that wrong, dunno if that matters though. I read up on the software updates last night and the watch should have gotten a prompt to update when the batteries where over 80%. That didn't happen last night or this morning, but when I loaded it up again it got a prompt to upgrade, so I did. Maps still didn't work. After another 2 hours, I got another download prompt. Did it again. Still nothing. Another 3 hours later, after several resets and resynchs, maps got installed on the watch. So now at least that part works. I'm gonna see how navigation stuff works tomorrow.

So basically, I fixed it by doing nothing/fiddling with the reset/resynch buttons after it got upgradet to the latest software. Just updating in case anyone has the same issue as me. Thanks for the help!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Daily Forecast posted:

Yes because that was totally true for the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S6

oh wait

I plan to keep this thing for a couple plus years. Marshmallow is coming to the Galaxy S5 (uh, eventually) and it started on Kitkat, so if the S7 ends its life on Android Oreo (Orange Creamcicle? Oatmeal Raisin?) then I don't find that to be dissatisfying at all. Maybe by then there will be a Galaxy S9 or a Nexus that isn't a dismal hardware failure (seriously, every Nexus has something wrong with it) I'd wanna upgrade to anyway.

v Can't imagine why not, they're both microUSB.

I haven't heard about any major issues with the Nexus 6P, outside of the size being too large for some people (and I can't blame anyone skipping it for that reason).

Definitely been hearing complaints about the 5X underperforming compared to where it should be, though, particularly since there isn't any bloat or skin to pin the blame on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

havenwaters posted:

Assuming it's Micro USB still, yes. It probably won't do quick charging though. Edit: I'm still using my old Samsung Infuse (good 'ole Froyo) charger for my htc one.

Thanks. I don't mix my chargers for my tablet and phone because they were made by different manufacturers and I read that was bad but I wasn't sure how cautious to be for different versions of the same phone