Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Unless it's how you're writing in key aspects of character development training arcs should always happen off-panel imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Space-Bird posted:

well except you have to be insanely strong to be free. except strength in the one piece world is about will power not muscle. It's a very very Japanese outlook but also really neat.

That's why Luffy is destined to be the Pirate King. He's not driven by power or wanting to conquer anything, but he has the will and potential to reach the top anyways.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

That's why Luffy is destined to be the Pirate King. He's not driven by power or wanting to conquer anything, but he has the will and potential to reach the top anyways.

Agreed! I'm really looking forward to Blackbeard eventually stepping into the picture... When you live outside of society (pirates) right and wrong have no formal meaning, and you have to make your own right and wrong, which is pretty much what Luffy does. It's less cheesy Disney style "follow your heart" (middle class american values) and like, You Do You, as long as you stand by what you believe in. I think it's what makes Luffy an interesting shonen hero, and what has kept One Piece chugging for so long. I couldn't care less about intricate fight scenes and power ups. Anyway that's my dumb OP philosophy minute. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JohnnyCocksville posted:

It just occurred to me that for not being able to swim being the only weakness of a devil fruit, it's only been a plot device with Buggy being mad and Luffy vs Arlong.

Don't forget with Smoker being completely helpless until Luffy asked (Sanji? Zoro?) to save him.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Unless it's how you're writing in key aspects of character development training arcs should always happen off-panel imo

Hell, the development of gear 2nd basically was a key bit of character development and it still didn't happen on-screen. It's much more fun to watch people be badasses than to watch them train to be badasses.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Hell, the development of gear 2nd basically was a key bit of character development and it still didn't happen on-screen. It's much more fun to watch people be badasses than to watch them train to be badasses.

With good story telling, you can definitely see a person work hard for a thing and then deliver on that thing... but that's rarely the case in shonen series. One Piece is by far the most atypical of all shonen series, yet somehow the most successful shonen series of all time. It's pretty strange.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Being atypical and also good helps build a cult fan base - see JoJo's. Starting along with Bleach and Naruto helped it get widespread appeal. OP definitely got the best of both worlds.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Space-Bird posted:

With good story telling, you can definitely see a person work hard for a thing and then deliver on that thing... but that's rarely the case in shonen series. One Piece is by far the most atypical of all shonen series, yet somehow the most successful shonen series of all time. It's pretty strange.

I wouldn't call it "the most atypical." Hunter x Hunter, despite having training arcs, subverts conventional plot structures a lot more, for example. Even the lack of training arcs isn't that unusual; Fairy Tail (which is "One Piece, but done badly" a lot of the time) doesn't have them, aside from the very brief one where everyone got Second Origin. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure stops having training arcs after the introduction of Stands (and the training arc in Phantom Blood was quite brief).

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I think shonen training arcs are often bad because typically they're just about learning to be a better shonen protagonist. They tend not to have that much dimension. You could reductively describe Empire Strikes Back as a Jedi training arc, but it totally works because it's such an integral part of the actual story. My Hero Academia is theoretically all about training to be a badass, but it very quickly finds ways for Deku to be a badass and just learn from that.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Silver2195 posted:

I wouldn't call it "the most atypical." Hunter x Hunter, despite having training arcs, subverts conventional plot structures a lot more, for example. Even the lack of training arcs isn't that unusual; Fairy Tail (which is "One Piece, but done badly" a lot of the time) doesn't have them, aside from the very brief one where everyone got Second Origin. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure stops having training arcs after the introduction of Stands (and the training arc in Phantom Blood was quite brief).

Yeah I'd definitely Araki's stuff is way more 'Bizarre' (heh heh just a lil joke). I'd say HxH from what I saw of it, is paint by numbers fighting stuff, a lot like Naruto or Bleach though... but I'm not a big fan. I guess I was speaking broadly.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
HxH is godlike actually

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnonSpore posted:

HxH is godlike actually

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

AnonSpore posted:

HxH is godlike actually

bschultz27
Feb 14, 2014

Space-Bird posted:

I'd say HxH from what I saw of it, is paint by numbers fighting stuff, a lot like Naruto or Bleach though

Ho ho, look again, buddy. I assumed this was the case until I actually watched what's available on Netflix , and "godlike" isn't too far off the mark. Personal taste is personal taste, but comparing it to Naruto and Bleach made my feelings hurt.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I'd be more willing to dive into HxH if I didn't have such a hard time getting into shonen I didn't read as a teenager. One Piece is the first one in over a decade that I both liked and kept liking. I'm willing to admit that the fault is with me but I've mostly stopped trying to read other punchman comics at this point.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

bschultz27 posted:

Ho ho, look again, buddy. I assumed this was the case until I actually watched what's available on Netflix , and "godlike" isn't too far off the mark. Personal taste is personal taste, but comparing it to Naruto and Bleach made my feelings hurt.

i mean in a way it's not wrong but HunterXHunter is just a better version of a typical anime show. HunterXHunter hits all the usual shounen tropes but it does fun things with them.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Space-Bird posted:

Yeah I'd definitely Araki's stuff is way more 'Bizarre' (heh heh just a lil joke). I'd say HxH from what I saw of it, is paint by numbers fighting stuff, a lot like Naruto or Bleach though... but I'm not a big fan. I guess I was speaking broadly.

Naruto's chuunin exam basically wholesaled copied HXH's first arc.

e: Well I won't say it was quite that much but its very heavily inspired by for sure.

Kild fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 3, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

HxH is godlike actually

Was.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
More character designs from One Piece GOLD, this time the Rogues Gallery:

Still looks generic and boring even if the movie is to be written by Oda himself. :sigh:

I'd rather have this guy as the villain, honestly.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 3, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/48ow76/after_all_this_years_i_declare_myself_defeated/

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Still looks generic and boring even if the movie is to be written by Oda himself. :sigh:

Mr Tanaka looks cool, at least :shobon:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I don't think this one is written by Oda.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

There's got to be a better name for that than being a BJ Star. Korea's been in contact with the US long enough to know better.

Also, that poor girl.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pluty horny for Korean BJ star

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Oda married a woman who played nami in the live action stage show

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Early English translation of Chapter 818

E: Their database is getting slammed apparently so they're getting a lot of 404 errors.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 3, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AkumaHokoru posted:

Oda married a woman who played nami in the live action stage show

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The second cookbook is on Raftel. It all makes sense now.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Early English translation of Chapter 818

E: Their database is getting slammed apparently so they're getting a lot of 404 errors.

Holy poo poo.

Plot faucet.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Holy poo poo.

Plot faucet.

Yeah, that was my reaction too. Pretty much :tviv: in a nutshell.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
This is what happens when Oda doesn't feel a need to pad stuff for chapter count.

Zou is the best bloody arc and no one gonna tell me otherwise.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I think we've learned more in one chapter than we have the last 300. Jesus

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pureauthor posted:

This is what happens when Oda doesn't feel a need to pad stuff for chapter count.

Zou is the best bloody arc and no one gonna tell me otherwise.

:yeah:

Zou rules. Soooo much better than Dressrosa.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That's some good plot...

And I mean the good kind!

I can't wait for a better translation, because

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Holy gently caress, so much plot advancement, Zou best arc.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Robin has gotten more expressive than Zoro recently!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
If I'm reading this right, then Raftel is literally Atlantis/Krematoa/Lost World and basically the most ancient of ancient islands, so it'll most likely have the Void Century poneglyph that the Ancient Civilization most wanted to hide from the World Goverent by burying it in the sea. This poo poo is straight out of Dinkey Kong Country 2/3.

Better start collecting those Krem Koins, guys! :shepface:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 3, 2016

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
So if Zou has one, Big Mom has one, and Kaidou has one, where do you think the fourth one is? I'm sure Blackbeard will find it before or at the same time as the Straw Hats.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AshB posted:

So if Zou has one, Big Mom has one, and Kaidou has one, where do you think the fourth one is? I'm sure Blackbeard will find it before or at the same time as the Straw Hats.

It's in your heart (Or maybe the joke is that they can use Triangulation and not even need the fourth one :mmmhmm:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AshB posted:

I would bet money that Shanks is up to some fuckery and Gol D Roger planned this all out before he died. How Roger managed to manipulate the Yonkou into a Xanatos Gambit, I have no clue. Maybe Roger and Whitebeard made a secret deal on that cherry blossom island after Roger informed Whitebeard on how to get to Raftel to gently caress with the other Yonkou because they were bros?