Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jeesis posted:

Is it worth it to get Horizons right now or should I wait for a sale/more updates?

Wait for a sale, maybe, but it's already offering enough expanded variety in what you can do that it's worth it, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

If you're on the fence with Horizons then see what the next update has, might push you over.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

Space Skeleton posted:

If you're on the fence with Horizons then see what the next update has, might push you over.

Okay. Also, does it have it's own servers or do you play on the main servers but with the expanded content showing up?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Jeesis posted:

Okay. Also, does it have it's own servers or do you play on the main servers but with the expanded content showing up?

Not having Horizons just stops you from doing Horizons stuff, it's the same game world other than that. All the major new content updates this year are Horizons stuff so over time more and more game systems are added just for Horizons people including locations such as being down on planet surfaces.

Balance changes and basic content like new standard ships/modules are not Horizons specific so far.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 2, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Or just buy the standalone Arena. You'll get a discount for the maingame if you buy Arena. Thus it's not an additional expense. At least allows you to get a basic taste for the combat. And any Credits you earn in Arena will move over to the full game.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Just a heads up, the next content patch (The Engineers) has been delayed to sometime in June, which makes me really skeptical they'll get multicrew or ship launched fighters in before 2017. In addition, they're server-side disabling some of the broken missions until the next patch. No bug fixes til June at the earliest.

Horizons continues to be excellent value for money :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

nightwisher posted:

Just a heads up, the next content patch (The Engineers) has been delayed to sometime in June, which makes me really skeptical they'll get multicrew or ship launched fighters in before 2017. In addition, they're server-side disabling some of the broken missions until the next patch. No bug fixes til June at the earliest.

Horizons continues to be excellent value for money :v:

Holy poo poo, how are they going to keep up with the schedule if they are an entire 3 months delayed?

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3y2trw/empire_ranking_in_20_donations_shmonations/

https://youtu.be/2PKi4eeT5DA

Out of the two, HIP 10716 is less of a challenge then Cubeo for the same money and rank. Meaning it can be done in cheaper ships, but it's less engaging. Also doesn't seem to spawn any retrieval or scan missions, just lots of skimmer and generator kills (which stack completion credit). Both details mean HIP 10716 is more efficient, Cubeo is more interesting.

It's also worth noting that you can play courier to get rank faster than either method, if you don't care about the pay.

Do Cubeo if you want something fun to do that will also give rank and spacebucks while you're at it, do HIP if you want to buckle down and grind rank and credits with efficiency, and do courier stuff if you just want the rank because oh God why is this so slow I'm still not even Duke

Here's the definitive post on the CDT method: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/46s06g/my_databased_guide_to_fast_naval_ranking_or_one/

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Holy poo poo, how are they going to keep up with the schedule if they are an entire 3 months delayed?

The only thing I can hope is the other content meant to be coming is progressing at the expected development rate and they're having issues with Engineers in specific. But it really doesn't look good for FD. These content patches are going to have to be polished and substantial otherwise I don't see them making many sales on a second season of content.

Ever get the feeling Frontier is in over their heads, technically and financially?

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 2, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

nightwisher posted:

Ever get the feeling Frontier is in over their heads, technically and financially?
No?

This is literally their first substantial delay in two years, it's a bit early for the 2012 poo poo don't you think?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 2, 2016

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
:qq: elite citizen :qq:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The company is still strong - I don't think putting off their Horizons 'full release' sales for a few months will really lose that much money in the long run. Most of the people who are actually going to get upset about the delay have already bought the game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

No?

This is literally their first substantial delay in two years, it's a bit early for the 2012 poo poo don't you think?

Eh, for space games this talk is completely normal. Just look at EVE Online: People basically started to scream doom and gloom the second the game was released. And now, ~13 years later, the game is still running.

Of course I'm comparing apples and oranges here, EVE has several hundred thousand subscribers paying monthly, while Frontier has sold about a million units of Elite and Elite: Horizons total, but can only get new money through new sales. But eh, close enough.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Frontier will live and die based off their content cycle. We've already seen a bunch of players leave the game from lack of content, the single #1 biggest complaint most people seem to have with Elite so far. So yeah I think it's pretty concerning when their primary method of generating revenue are content expansions, and those expansions are encountering big delays.

The thing I'm more annoyed with is the lack of bugfixes until then more than anything. That and the completely lovely support I got from them in regards to their p2p system just flat out not working for Australians.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Engineers is supposed to be all about modding your equipment. They also removed weapon variants after beta closed because it wasn't working well apparently... I think their implementation of stats on modules is pretty rigid and doesn't take well to being expanded / modified dynamically, so it will take some kind of overhaul that gobbles up time.

On that note, anyone had trouble on the extra jump range and deluxe ammo that can be crafted with Horizons materials?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

nightwisher posted:

Frontier will live and die based off their content cycle. We've already seen a bunch of players leave the game from lack of content, the single #1 biggest complaint most people seem to have with Elite so far. So yeah I think it's pretty concerning when their primary method of generating revenue are content expansions, and those expansions are encountering big delays.

The thing I'm more annoyed with is the lack of bugfixes until then more than anything. That and the completely lovely support I got from them in regards to their p2p system just flat out not working for Australians.
1. Their financials are entirely public, and are healthy. 2. Elite isn't their only product.

Sounds like you're projecting your own personal disappointments, and being a little bit hyperbolic in the process.

Not saying this isn't disappointing, but a single delay isn't going to break them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nightwisher posted:

Yeah, it's a travesty how modern corporations always forget to take into account how their systems affect people living on death islands in some remote part of the world

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Instead of complaining at literally every game developer, why don't Aussies yell at your mad government officials who think that they can stay a developed country without upgrading their already pathetic (and this is coming from an American) internet for another DECADE. :stonk:

And yeah, at the risk of sounding a little white knight I don't think one delay this late in the game spells the death of Frontier as a company.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Libluini posted:

Yeah, it's a travesty how modern corporations always forget to take into account how their systems affect people living on death islands in some remote part of the world

FWIW shitposting like this has kept me from logging into Elite just as much as lack of content.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Hyperbolic about what exactly? That Frontier sell a game and content for it? That players leave the game due to lack of diversity and content for said game? That Frontier's first content expansion has encountered delays, and players are concerned? That I received poor support from Frontier? That there's a p2p issue for australians right now?

I didn't say this will kill Frontier (though I'm sure Braben took a big hit to his share prices). I said this could be the start of a bad precedent, and people are obviously concerned it's going to have flow-on effects. And of course I'm disappointed, the game is in dire need of more engaging content as I'm rapidly losing interest in the limited diversity on offer.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

FWIW shitposting like this has kept me from logging into Elite just as much as lack of content.

If bad comedy on a bad comedy forum keeps you from logging into games, welp. poo poo happens.

On the other hand, as long as you do something productive with your time instead of playing other video games: My work is done. :colbert:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Libluini posted:

I'm sorry I insulted your perfect game Libluini :( I understand it hurts and upsets you to hear my opinion, but I think if you really put your mind to it, you can get over this hurdle and become a better person :)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nightwisher posted:

I'm sorry I insulted your perfect game Libluini :( I understand it hurts and upsets you to hear my opinion, but I think if you really put your mind to it, you can get over this hurdle and become a better person :)

Thank you. I accept your apology.

Now get out of Australia before one of those death spiders over there stings you to death or something

Edit:

Also, you silly man, complaining to a video game company about your lovely internet will never help, what is Frontier even supposed to do here, teleport your house to Europe or something?

Are you calling Frontier's support lovely because P2P doesn't really work if you're living in Australia? So what, should Frontier change everything just for you, or maybe ask the great Software Installation Wizard to cast the spell "Improve Australian IT-infrastructure"?

What could Frontier have done to satisfy you in this situation?

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 3, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Vorenus posted:

:byewhore:

Re: nightwisher, those of us who are giving you a hard time are doing it because there's nothing Frontier can do for you in your situation, and as for the rest of what you said... while your concerns are valid, they're also mostly speculation, and speculation that sounds copy/pasted from Star Citizen et al. I'll worry about the consequences of further delays if they actually occur.

Edit: If you're bored of the content currently available, these months of downtime are a great window to launch an ambitious exploration trip. Or try arena, if you haven't already. Or just take a break from the game until June to play something else! Lots of good RPGs lately. Any of these will make you happier than saltposting at people who don't work for Frontier and/or give a poo poo.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 3, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
For starters, its an issue on their end because I literally have no issues playing the dozens of other games that connect to other players via P2P. It's been acknowledged as not a problem on the players side by support multiple times, it is a network routing or configuration issue on their end.

Second, I literally spend two weeks going back and forth with support answering the same questions over and over, running the same netalyzer getting the same results, all to be told there's literally nothing they can do, sorry. Which is bullshit by the way, I ended up spending 10bux on an American VPN that totally solved my problem and allowed me to play online with others, after a bunch of time spent researching the issue. But I had to pay for it, when the issue isn't with me or my network or even my loving COUNTRY. Support offered nothing, and when I asked if I could be re-imbursed for the cost of paying for a VPN used exclusively to play the game, they declined. I found it pretty lovely overall.

If they had covered the cost of a piece of software now essential for me to play (and the reason for me not being able to play is 100% out of my control and cannot be alleviated by any action I can take) I wouldn't have any issues. They admitted it's their problem to fix.

edit: Oh, and it worked just fine before Horizons came out. So yeah.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

nightwisher posted:

Hyperbolic about what exactly? That Frontier sell a game and content for it? That players leave the game due to lack of diversity and content for said game? That Frontier's first content expansion has encountered delays, and players are concerned? That I received poor support from Frontier? That there's a p2p issue for australians right now?

I didn't say this will kill Frontier (though I'm sure Braben took a big hit to his share prices). I said this could be the start of a bad precedent, and people are obviously concerned it's going to have flow-on effects. And of course I'm disappointed, the game is in dire need of more engaging content as I'm rapidly losing interest in the limited diversity on offer.
"In over their heads" is a drowning analogy. That's pretty deadly! Whatever, this is getting a bit out of hand and I've a feeling no one's really that interested in which one of us is right on the internet, so lets just call it a difference of opinion and leave it.

As for the p2p, I feel for you. But their matchmaking software is a cricket fan, and as such is prejudiced against Australians. There's nothing they can do.

Vorenus posted:

FWIW your only substantive contribution to either Elite thread so far has been to tell people what they're not allowed to post about.

So this is kinda like the pot putting on blackface, wearing its jeans round its ankles and doing Dave Chappelle impressions. :mmmhmm:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

tooterfish posted:

As for the p2p, I feel for you. But their matchmaking software is a cricket fan, and as such is prejudiced against Australians. There's nothing they can do.

Come to think of it, we DID win the ashes last year... :tinfoil:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

nightwisher posted:

:goonsay:

loving lol

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I don't agree with most of what nightwisher is saying but the Australian (Oceanic in general, really) connection issues are 100% something Frontier hosed up. Their peer to peer stuff is dogshit to begin with and it mysteriously started happening immediately as soon as 1.5/2.0 went live, plus they've acknowledged on their support forums that it's on their end.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Elite is a fun and cool and good game

It sure isn't perfect, but it's only going to get better. Any delays are annoying, but think of it this way: Thanks to the delay, the update won't be some half assed, half-broken poo poo (hopefully :frontear:).

Vorenus posted:

:qq: oh no a joke

Rah! fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 3, 2016

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Rah! posted:

Elite is a fun and cool and good game

It sure isn't perfect, but it's only going to get better. Any delays are annoying, but think of it this way: Thanks to the delay, the update won't be some half assed, half-broken poo poo (hopefully :frontear:).

Lookin at you power play!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Thanks to the delay, I'm sure the update will be better than ever!

(Said after two years of completely underwhelming updates to a stagnant game based on an iterative update model.)

This game is a joke.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Amethyst posted:

This game is a joke.

Yeah it is very fun to play, just like a joke is very fun.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Edit: If you're bored of the content currently available, these months of downtime are a great window to launch an ambitious exploration trip. Or try arena, if you haven't already. Or just take a break from the game until June to play something else! Lots of good RPGs lately. Any of these will make you happier than saltposting at people who don't work for Frontier and/or give a poo poo.

Discussing the reasons why a game is failing is a thing. That's why gama sutra articles on failed games are popular. It sure beats endless posts about the best way to grind 2 million credits.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211990

Here is a list of 90 bugs which will not be fixed until June at the very earliest. Definitely no problem here, please do not discuss it.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Thanks to the delay, I'm sure the update will be better than ever!

(Said after two years of completely underwhelming updates to a stagnant game based on an iterative update model.)

This game is a joke.

Amethyst posted:

Discussing the reasons why a game is failing is a thing. That's why gama sutra articles on failed games are popular. It sure beats endless posts about the best way to grind 2 million credits.

Amethyst posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211990

Here is a list of 90 bugs which will not be fixed until June at the very earliest. Definitely no problem here, please do not discuss it.

K.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Are Vive and Rift both expected to be equally supported?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

You're right, people like you ARE why that kind of journalism is profitable :golfclap:

Dunno that I'd be bragging about that though.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Are Vive and Rift both expected to be equally supported?

In theory. I believe they are working specifically with HTC/Valve to be something of a flagship for the product, but plenty of players are already using DK2s to play. The game is so well catered and designed for VR I find it hard to believe that they won't both work just as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I can't find the direct quote, but I believe the Rift will work fine if you launch it through SteamVR. The sacred vision of Gaben is that people can plug their headset of choice into SteamVR games regardless of manufacturer

• Locked thread