Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

when's dk64

I, too, like to live dangerously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Looper posted:

when's dk64

Artix, when are you gonna finish PoP2008 and eternally shame nine-gear crow?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blind Sally posted:

Artix, when are you gonna finish PoP2008 and eternally shame nine-gear crow?

When I can muster up any feeling more than :effort: about actually playing PoP2008. I actually did record an episode or two back when I threatened to do it but good lord that game is just tedious these days.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

That looked really anticlimactic for a lost world / final hidden stage, or is it just me?

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Junior G-man posted:

That looked really anticlimactic for a lost world / final hidden stage, or is it just me?

I like the psychedelic fruit trip of DKC Returns better aesthetically, but the DKCTF ones look like they're more challenging. I get Sky Garden (Marble Garden? whatever) vibes from those old Sonic games when I see the background environment.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Digital Jello posted:

I like the psychedelic fruit trip of DKC Returns better aesthetically, but the DKCTF ones look like they're more challenging. I get Sky Garden (Marble Garden? whatever) vibes from those old Sonic games when I see the background environment.

Sky Sanctuary, probably.

I wish there was more to the secret world because, while there's more levels than in DKCR, three instead of one makes it really feel like a half-world. Not to mention that the platforming involved in them is really pretty interesting. I'd forgotten how challenging 7-1 was but it looks so cool when you manage to get through the whole thing as platforms are flying all over the place.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Cotton-Top Cove :siren:

The water levels in DKC3 are...okay. I'm not a big fan of most of their gimmicks. Also, I've updated the soundtrack post up through this world.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's another waterfall level later on that is total and complete bullshit. These are tame.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
.......The GBA version of Water World is literally just a slowed down and slightly lower pitch version of Aquatic Ambiance.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Even as a kid, I always wondered: what is Squirt supposed to be? Is he a sea creature? Is it a living statue behind a waterfall?

For what it's worth, I really like the gimmick behind Hungry Fish (does he have a name?) I personally would have like to have seen more stages with him.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

There are two bosses that require animal buddies, Squirt and World 6's boss, with the latter being a frustrating pain in the rear end because of loving HitboxesTM.

Anyhew, I love both the waterfall and underwater themes in this game. The latter definitely takes a lot of cues from Underwater Ambience, and the former is a nice soothing track overall. That said, Mekanos is home to my favorite track in the game, so I await that one with joy.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Squirt is such a bad boss.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Forgot if I posted here already saying that I grew up with these games, but I digress. Also, keep on keepin' on, LPers. :)

Squirt's the worst. My favorite boss so far was Arich, the second world boss. I hate spiders but he has such a cool design. I have another favorite boss, but he's later on.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Artix posted:

I find that to be incredibly short-sighted, to be honest. We've seen Ellie three times (which is understandable as she is the biggest new animal buddy), Squawks once, Enguarde once, and Parry once, with Squitter and Quawks both being introduced in World 4 (or 3, but Mekanos is generally considered 4 iirc) and Parry and Enguarde getting World 3 more or less to themselves. If they had stuck Squitter somewhere in World 2, it would have been basically identical to how DKC1 and DKC2 rolled them out.

Fair enough, I had forgotten how water-centric/spider-centric these two worlds were (in my defense, it has been ~12 years since I last touched DKC3). World 3 seems much better laid out, perhaps because it has that identity of being the "water world" and embraces Ellie and Enguarde's water mechanics.

Squirt can go to hell though (scarily, I don't even think he's the worst boss in this game either). 2's bosses were just better IMO (save King Zing, dammit Squawks :argh:). Hell, at least 1's bosses were short and didn't have bottomless pits.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N107Oce7JA

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
While I actually like DKC3, the boss design so far has just been bad. It's the old "wait until boss does thing, then you get one opportunity to attack", except even more tedious than in the previous games.

Clearly DK's reign of terror can't be contained to just one planet.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Bellmaker posted:

Fair enough, I had forgotten how water-centric/spider-centric these two worlds were (in my defense, it has been ~12 years since I last touched DKC3). World 3 seems much better laid out, perhaps because it has that identity of being the "water world" and embraces Ellie and Enguarde's water mechanics.

The funny thing is, when you actually look at the general theme of Cotton-Top Cove, it's got more of a Niagara Falls/Great Lakes sort of thing going. Sure, there's water in every single stage of the world, but it doesn't have that obvious feel that a traditional water area normally does. Maybe it has to do with the fact that you're only really swimming around in two of the stages.

Cerebral Bore posted:

While I actually like DKC3, the boss design so far has just been bad. It's the old "wait until boss does thing, then you get one opportunity to attack", except even more tedious than in the previous games.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but that's not going to change. If anything, you should just go ahead and expect it to start getting a lot worse as we head farther north.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Squirt blows but the waterfall theme is aces

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Looper posted:

Squirt blows but the waterfall theme is aces

I know it's not David Wise, but honestly, the music is one thing I feel like DKC3 really did manage to stand on its own with when compared against DKC2. Sure, 95% of 2's soundtrack was amazing, but EVERYONE who's ever played 3 can pick out at least two songs apiece that they absolutely love and it won't be the exact same two songs for everyone, which is something DKC1 couldn't manage.

Because let's be real, most people remember Aquatic Ambiance and Fear Factory when they talk about the first game and that's gonna be it.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 3, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Derek Barona posted:

I know it's not David Wise, but honestly, the music is one thing I feel like DKC3 really did manage to stand on its own with when compared against DKC2. Sure, 95% of 2's soundtrack was amazing, but EVERYONE who's ever played 3 can pick out at least two songs apiece that they absolutely love and it won't be the exact same two songs for everyone, which is something DKC1 couldn't manage.

Because let's be real, most people remember Aquatic Ambiance and Fear Factory from the first game and that's gonna be it.

This is doubly ironic because the songs that Eveline Fischer composed for DKC1 were the ones nobody remembers (Voices of the Temple, Forest Frenzy, Tree Top Rock, and Ice Cave Chant were the big ones). :v:

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 3, 2016

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Artix posted:

This is doubly ironic because the songs that Eveline Fischer composed for DKC1 were the ones nobody remembers (Voices of the Temple, Forest Frenzy, Tree Top Rock, and Ice Cave Chant were the big ones). :v:

Yeah, those were pretty much all the songs I was thinking of that no one would remember. People's top four are gonna be Factory, Aquatic, Jungle Hijinxs, and Gangplank Galleon. My personal top three are Factory, Aquatic, and then Life In The Mines.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Someone in this thread said this game, as far as music and sets go, feels like another game that someone hacked to put Dixie and Kiddy in. That really sums it up.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

Artix posted:

That interesting for me, because Forest Frenzy and Tree Top Rock are my favorite themes, which is why Vine Valley in DKC1 is my favorite region. I'm also fond of Aquatic Ambiance, Fear Factory, and the minecart one.

My favorites from DKC2 are Mining Melancholy, Hot Head Hop, Flight of the Zinger, Web Woods, and Kaptain K. Rool's theme, but I think David Wise did all of the music for it.

Anyways, DKC3's soundtrack is probably my favorite of the three games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Artix posted:

tree top rock is the best song in dkc1 tho! that rhythm is tight as heck

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I said it already, but for me, my absolute favorite stage theme in DKC3 is the first one that we hear, Stilt Village. The cocky casual swagger of the basic Kremling enemy combined with that song really works well together.

e: A close second from the ones we've heard already would have to be Hot Pursuit. It's a high-intensity song that fits Riverside Race so perfectly.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 4, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The mountain/canyon level theme is the best and is one of the best pieces of music in the series.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I seem to remember that Nintendo Power listed Mekanos as the third world. I think Squirt is more annoying than bullshit. The second animal buddy boss, not so much. The first two bosses are good, but it's almost all bad after that, with one exception for me.

And there's a rocket barrel that's more like the one from Retro later on. The less said about it, the better.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Is it just me, or is "summer camp" a strange aesthetic to go with?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Time to continue our rampage, this time with conscription.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
This honestly does look like a pretty entertaining game, though I couldn't imagine seriously trying to play it with the bongos like you are, FP.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What's the biggest combo you can get?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

If DK is the champion (and presumably high priest) of the Moon Gods, does this make his island empire a theocracy?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Technowolf posted:

If DK is the champion (and presumably high priest) of the Moon Gods, does this make his island empire a theocracy?

In the same way North Korea is a theocracy. Just a cult of personality where everyone is too terrified of what he did to the cyborg elephants to call him out.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FeyerbrandX posted:

In the same way North Korea is a theocracy. Just a cult of personality where everyone is too terrified of what he did to the cyborg elephants to call him out.

To be fair, it does seem more like the TUSK series are more like actual cannon turrets designed like elephants judging from the unnatural way it collapses. Like, the way that arm tilts away from the body would legitimately rip it out of the socket if it were organic to any degree, and DK didn't do THAT much damage to it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Mekanos :siren:

There was some debate about game design in here but I don't think either of us made any kind of coherent point at each other so whatever.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Kaos' visor lights up right before he shoots his eye lasers, so honestly, you can get away with just standing around and rolling aside as soon as his eyes glow. I weirdly had a lot of trouble with his robot body trapping me in between the walls while he burned the ground.

Also, I completely forgot about Purple Squawks (or whatever his name was). But I certainly didn't miss him.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kiddy's Dixie's cousin, isn't he?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ripsaw Rage is one of my least favorite levels, but it's also the only Collect 15 Banana's bonus I like. It's a little unconventional but quickly manageable and shows that the creative team did indeed have some good ideas. And those pipeline backgrounds are one of my favorites.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 9, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ChaosArgate posted:

Kiddy's Dixie's cousin, isn't he?

Yeah. Dixie is his cousin and babysitter. So of course, the first thing she did with him was taking him on a life-risking journey where he gets hurt (and possibly killed?) several times, through heavily dangerous lands while fighting an army that wishes death on every Kong and complete domination of their island. She's also willing to outright throw him and use him as a shield if it is useful to her.

She might not be related by blood, but Dixie is absolutely someone of DK's family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I thought Kiddy Kong was introduced in this game as Funky's nephew. Either way, THE INTERNET tells me Kiddy is Chunky's younger brother. Nevermind that Chunky didn't exist at the time.

• Locked thread