Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lowtax posted:

A MUCH BIGGER IDIOT!!!

Also he works for the US Government now.

Serious question

Did he work on the Obama care website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
can we see more chat logues please its p funny how stupid he is lol

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if i ran these forums i would only hire the type of person that would never have heard of these forums and would never post on them

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

ok so is Awful ioS app made by Radiu,?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Lowtax imagine the $$ you would make if you drip-fed the chatlogs behind a $5 Lowtaxlog forums upgrade.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
You can have that idea in exchange for a free lowtaxlog upgrade on my acc

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Every time I see the SA maintenance bot I just let my jaw slacken and keep pressing f5. When all of the candy in my mouth has become a sugary puddle at my feet, the site is usually back up.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Who fixes the forum now that Radium is gone? So many of the old guard are gone.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

gently caress da Mods posted:

It is and he is.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
You should do a Doom House reboot with an all female cast to encourage GBS to engage in a topical dialog about gender equality that is frankly long overdue.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Lowtax posted:

I think it's funny when people try to rip on me and say I don't know poo poo about running a business. I obviously don't and have never even vaguely claimed to, mostly because I loving hate dealing with business and would rather look at that animated gif of the dog humping another dog and then puking and eating it.

Thank you for reminding me of that gif, which is still around if anyone hasn't seen it. Just google 'dog hump vomit' for all your dog humping vomiting and eating needs. There's also the youtube version with added sound effects.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
(9:19 AM) Radium: I dont understand

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I wonder if Radium has to give ETAs and inform his bosses what he actually does with his time while working for The United States of America

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Every time I unsubscribe from a thread in the CP and have to click the star 5 times and watch it change colors for no discernible reason I think Radium.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Just looking at these messages (and probably missing a lot of context) it sounds like maybe some conventions could have been put down in writing rather than being left to "common sense" which totally doesn't work so hopefully that's being done now. also i hope people haven't forgotten where choochacacko left the source code

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Procedure 29289-AX: Hosting a DoS attack on the production servers

1. Don't.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"I hate giving ETAs" in a job that kinda needs them what a loving wanker

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Yeah I agree. It's really funny. you must have had a lot of patience to have put up with him for so long.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Gianthogweed posted:

Who fixes the forum now that Radium is gone? So many of the old guard are gone.

it would be cool to do a forums "bonus season" like fuller house or the new x files

bring back fragmaster, fistgrrl, elpintogrande, all the old gang for one last adventure

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ok so is Awful ioS app made by Radiu,?

No, all the apps are unofficial and made by goons.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

rabble rabble posted:

lowtax I feel like you should have hired a business manager around 10 years ago
I never wanted this to be a business or have to act like it.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

quote:

(3:58 PM) Lowtax: oh, can you post that in that sphinx thread, so people know and will stop suggesting it?
(3:59 PM) Radium: I was going to not say what its based on
(3:59 PM) Lowtax: oh, why?
(4:00 PM) Radium: people then people are going to post ANY ETA ON THE SPHINX SEARCH and stupid recommendations and send me email and be annoying, just like with everything else
(4:01 PM) Radium: I dont know why I typed people twice
(4:01 PM) Lowtax: ah okay I'll just post something non-specific in that thread so people will stop going on about it
(4:01 PM) Radium: like, they know we use mysql fulltext, but nobody knows anything about it, yet constantly criticize how bad our search is and send me things about how we can improve it
(4:02 PM) Radium: just say we have plans for a new search but are considering several technologies at this point
(4:02 PM) Radium: they send it to devs@sa.com
(4:02 PM) Radium: basically I made that address so people could send things to me and I can delete them

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

ahaha sphinx search was sorta crazy to set up at my old company but once we got it working it was pretty solid.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

quote:

(9:33:03 AM) 19629905: I thought it wasn't even possible to get a contract coder on until you got the servers set up so other people can access them without having permission to everything
(9:34:14 AM) Radium - ICQ: there's no reason a contractor should need access at all in most cases
(9:35:17 AM) Radium - ICQ: you have to do all the devel and stress testing outside of production anyway
(9:35:42 AM) 19629905: I mean specifically in the case of the CMS stuff
(9:36:05 AM) 19629905: the flag and content system stuff I've been wanting to do for a couple years
(9:36:26 AM) Radium - ICQ: same... you especially don't want a contractor on THAT server :P
(9:38:05 AM) Radium - ICQ: that's what I was saying before with that stuff... every server we have is used in production, we don't have a dev environment for these guys, so I'd have to set one up, which is probably a lot of work for nothing
(9:38:26 AM) 19629905: that's what I thought we bought the new servers for
(9:40:15 AM) Radium - ICQ: we got one server for virtualization, yeah, but getting that setup is a big project because our network right now is flat... you either have access to the whole network or no access, so its risky to give a shell to someone
(9:41:20 AM) Radium - ICQ: and the biggest thing is... you don't need access to do that work... not even I need access to do it
(9:42:18 AM) 19629905: well that's another reason why it makes things difficult for me to put constraints on projects, I really don't have any idea what you're doing, what you need to do it, or how long it will take to do. All I can do is ask if we need to buy something, and if so, I buy it. But I ultimately have no idea what it will be used for or how long it will take to do whatever with, so I'm pretty much in the dark about everything here.
(9:45:07 AM) Radium - ICQ: yeah I know its tricky... its hard to explain just how complex things have gotten too... I don't think you realize it because things generally are up and running smooth, but we have a pretty complicated setup at this point

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
What's with all these people asking me when I will do my job? It's just super inconsiderate. Let's talk to the boss about how I got drunk and krunk last night when he asks for status reports.
- radium

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

quote:

(8:32:47 AM) 19629905: me too, as long as you get search done by the end of this month, I'll feel kind of embarassed when it becomes the one year anniversary of working on search full time, since I dont think search will ever earn back the equivalent of one year's salary
(8:37:39 AM) Radium - ICQ: well its not fair to look at it like that.... I do a lot more during the week than just work on search, plus the old search was a joke and we were never setup to deliver on a "pay once and have search forever with 0 downtime" :P
(8:39:19 AM) 19629905: yeah but I've avoided giving you any other projects or anything since then, and we haven't been able to work on providing any features or anything else since then, so we've been pretty much stuck in the same place since then. And a year of downtime is a lot different than just 0 downtime
(8:42:00 AM) Radium - ICQ: I can ram something out the door again if you want, I just thought the goal was to make something that's going to scale this time... at least given what people were saying at the time and what frags was saying, that's how I interpreted it
(8:53:42 AM) 19629905: I obviously want something that can scale, but I think if any of us knew it would end up taking a year of coding, we would've compromised. Everything else has been at a stand-still since then, so if I had any idea it would take this long, I would've suggested some sort of compromise. But since we're nearing the end of a year on it, there's really no reason to ram something out the door, as hopefully you're nearing the end of it
(8:55:13 AM) Radium - ICQ: its near the end of it, yeah
(8:57:35 AM) Radium - ICQ: but look at it from my point of view... I don't have a budget or any description to go by with anything, so I'm just doing what I think you want... if I'm not, just let me know
(8:58:08 AM) Radium - ICQ: know what I mean? I don't really know what the business end of things look like anymore, so it's a best guess
(8:59:51 AM) Radium - ICQ: and this last year has been extremely confusing, with you being out and frags changing things and all
(9:00:05 AM) 19629905: because I don't know any of that stuff... if I say to you "search is broken," I have no idea what needs to be done to fix it and how long anything will take. Any time I ask you how long anything will take, you have no idea and can't ever give me an accurate eta or anything, so if I had any idea search would end up taking a year to get done 100% properly, I'm sure I would've supported cutting some corners
(9:03:48 AM) Radium - ICQ: how long it takes depends on what the goals of it are... a couple years ago, we just needed a search and it didn't matter if it was slow or whatever, because all this "I paid $10" backlash didn't exist... when search broke, I just assumed we needed the search we needed five years ago, that's going to be reliable as a product and end this cycle of spending 3-4 months every other year on search

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

nah post funny chat logues please that last one was :confused:

o wait no im talking about the one before: edit

let me review what you just posted

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

quote:

(11:32:58) Radium: yeah I know, I thought we went over all this though
(11:33:52) Radium: I mean, I feel like you're thinking "ken doesn't even check his mail or handle support emails!"
(11:34:13) SAAssLowtax: we did, which is why I'm frustrated at how long the redesign is stretching out, because there's been countless "going to finish it this weekend or kill myself" messages and still I have no idea if it will be done this month / year?
(11:34:44) Radium: but if I do that kind of stuff, it pushes off things like redesign, then I'm in hot water for that
(11:36:04) SAAssLowtax: I wasn't asking you to answer all emails and do all support, I just asked you to look into the gift certificate thing, since that affects us directly financially
(11:36:13) Radium: that's why I freak out when you ask me for ETA's and resist giving you one.... its like providing my own cross to be nailed to
(11:37:52) Radium: yeah, just hard to tell over AIM... but this all comes back to what we talked about
(11:37:55) SAAssLowtax: well I guess I don't understand how you could be confident enough to say something will be done the upcoming weekend, and be so far off with your estimate that it's still not done 45 days later?
(11:40:17) Radium: because it ended up turning into more of a sasbi upgrade than I planned... once I started changing things around it just spilled over

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

If youre really being honest with yourself, at the time, did you realize it?

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Lowtax posted:

(8:32:47 AM) 19629905: me too, as long as you get search done by the end of this month, I'll feel kind of embarassed when it becomes the one year anniversary of working on search full time, since I dont think search will ever earn back the equivalent of one year's salary
(8:37:39 AM) Radium - ICQ: well its not fair to look at it like that.... I do a lot more during the week than just work on search, plus the old search was a joke and we were never setup to deliver on a "pay once and have search forever with 0 downtime" :P
(8:39:19 AM) 19629905: yeah but I've avoided giving you any other projects or anything since then, and we haven't been able to work on providing any features or anything else since then, so we've been pretty much stuck in the same place since then. And a year of downtime is a lot different than just 0 downtime
(8:42:00 AM) Radium - ICQ: I can ram something out the door again if you want, I just thought the goal was to make something that's going to scale this time... at least given what people were saying at the time and what frags was saying, that's how I interpreted it

Hahaha. Holy gently caress. Dude spends a year on search and has fuckall to show for it? God drat.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

lol why didnt u fire him

ok lowtax were u paying him on a project-rate w/a standard 20-30% upfront?

Or was this hourly (LOL)

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

i mean u prolly never really went over expectations or had a proper kick off or anything so lol @ u lowtax for being bad at business

also lol @ goon client-facing services.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

just lol @ u

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'm happy for radium and i mean that, he needed to turn the page

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

quote:

(8:25 AM) Lowtax: it doesn't matter to me, all I want is to know what's going on before you do stuff so when people ask me about something I can answer them
(8:25 AM) Lowtax: also something broke in the forums purchase system, things aren't going through
(8:26 AM) Radium: I cant tell you every little thing every time I do something, thats silly, Id have to call you 6000 times a day
(8:26 AM) Lowtax: I mean anything that people will notice, like the debug message
(8:27 AM) Radium: yeah, I can stop that, otherwise theres no avoiding occasional poo poo like that
(8:27 AM) Radium: I mean, I cant do work on the code and not have it output things... but since our templates are in a database live all the time, well...
(8:28 AM) Lowtax: I don't care if it outputs things, that's absolutely fine with me, I just need to be in a situation where if a forum member asks me "why is this happening on the forums" I can answer them
(8:29 AM) Radium: well you arent writing the code so you cant :P
(8:30 AM) Lowtax: I know that, which is why all I'm asking is for you to inform me when you're making a change to something that the forum users will notice and ask me about that's all
(8:31 AM) Radium: I cant, thats crazy... youre not on 24/7, there shouldnt be debug messages on the live forums
(8:34 AM) Lowtax: I don't understand why this is so impossible or even difficult, there's maybe one visual change a week that people on the forums notice, I can't even remember the last change before the red debug message I'm just talking about major poo poo that people will notice and inquire about, like a debug message or something not functioning properly, I'm not talking about little things that you're working on that aren't noticable, just major things people will see on the forums and say "this is different than how things were, why is this happening?"
(8:34 AM) Radium: thats what Im trying to tell you, I cant do what youre asking, it doesnt make sense
(8:35 AM) Radium: dont get mad
(8:35 AM) Lowtax: ok then can you just fix the purchase system
(8:36 AM) Radium: I am, just ignore it for now

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

I never wanted this to be a business or have to act like it.

I mean, I get it, that's my point

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

just lol @ u

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
You're the posting equivalent of radium's coding

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I think the forums still don't have search, I stopped trying years ago

Radium must be still working on it somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i miss in-thread searching

you should stop reading these logs theyre just going to make you sad/mad

• Locked thread