Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

They likely had a backup in regular security and the precheck line was clear so they shifted you to speed up processing. It happens from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I would like to figure out how to get a decent fare from Austin on May 28 to [insert vacation location here], then to Boston on June 9, then back to Austin on June 12. The dates don't really have any flexibility. Sample searches returned prices along the lines of "lol, gently caress off". Am I better off just getting separate round trips from Austin to [location] and Boston?

Vacation location is entirely too vague; pick something (or at least a region) and then I can help.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Kudaros posted:

I recently went through Houston's airport security on a return trip. First (second I guess) time flying in 5 years. A lady standing next to a podium whose' monitor flashed an arrow pointing toward another roped pathway diverted me and a bunch of people behind me from the rest of the line. I assumed it was to start a new line or something. Turns out it was to TSA precheck line or something. The body scan device was occupied by a TSA person just blocking it off. I didn't have to take anything out of my bags or take off my shoes. Just went through the metal detector while they scanned my belongings. The thing is, I don't recall ever signing up for this thing. Apparently an interview and a fee are involved and I have done neither. Can someone explain what happened? Not complaining -- it was fast and easy. Just curious. The people behind me didn't understand it either. Meanwhile the person I was traveling with and diverted from went through normal security.

As whip notes, if lines get too long they'll sometimes shuttle everyone through Precheck. For those of us who have Global Entry (or the specific Precheck program) it can be annoying since the usually short line is now full of people who haven't an earthly clue what the gently caress they're doing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fly out of MCO and go through security near Southwest. It'll make you question why PreCheck exists in the first place.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If you fly with any regularity Global Entry is such a pro move. gently caress waiting in the TSA line and/or Customs on entry.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mackieman posted:

Vacation location is entirely too vague; pick something (or at least a region) and then I can help.

Probably either southern Europe or SE Asia, but maybe it's better that I come back when I have a better idea - was just wondering if there's a general approach to those kinds of routes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh poo poo I was expecting somewhere closer like Mexico
Yeah you're not gonna lump that into a single ticket easily

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got sent through the precheck line in Denver once and had no idea wtf but when the person was like "don't take laptops out, don't take your shoes off" I just shrugged and went ok.

There wasn't even a line, it was literally just my husband, myself and two other women who got invited in there with us in the entire security section.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Probably either southern Europe or SE Asia, but maybe it's better that I come back when I have a better idea - was just wondering if there's a general approach to those kinds of routes.

Lol I wasn't expecting this response at all. Yea come back to us with a better idea because you're leaving open way too many options.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
We are going from Montreal to lisbon in May and coming back from Barcelona to Montreal 3 weeks later. Air transat seems to be the only one doing no-stop flights

Any way to find how the price fluctuated recently? It's around 950$ right now and that's alright if we can't get any cheaper, but I'd like to know if prices were lower recently so I can have an idea of what "cheap" for those destination is.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

KingColliwog posted:

We are going from Montreal to lisbon in May and coming back from Barcelona to Montreal 3 weeks later. Air transat seems to be the only one doing no-stop flights

Any way to find how the price fluctuated recently? It's around 950$ right now and that's alright if we can't get any cheaper, but I'd like to know if prices were lower recently so I can have an idea of what "cheap" for those destination is.

Can you give me a better idea of your dates? Also, are you looking at prices in CAD or USD.

FWIW using a generic three week timespan with your itinerary I'm seeing a flight for ~760 CAD but it has a brief stopover in each direction.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 10, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Can you give me a better idea of your dates? Also, are you looking at prices in CAD or USD.

FWIW using a generic three week timespan with your itinerary I'm seeing a flight for ~760 CAD but it has a brief stopover in each direction.

Yeah, ideally we're leaving on the 1st of may and coming back on the 21th. We can probably go up to a week earlier/later though. Possible to add or substract a day or two from the trip if it makes a big difference too

Unless we can make ridiculous savings (like really ridiculous savings that probably don't exist) we're probably not doing stop overs since we'll have a baby with us (traveling with us for the first time).

Looking at prices in CAD at the moment

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 10, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah your combination of dates (weekends are traditionally the highest priced days) and inability to include stopover flights is shooting you in the foot. I flailed around with a few of my engines and while I can find you a couple hundred in savings if I add a stop, the options are extremely limited once I force it to only look for direct.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah your combination of dates (weekends are traditionally the highest priced days) and inability to include stopover flights is shooting you in the foot. I flailed around with a few of my engines and while I can find you a couple hundred in savings if I add a stop, the options are extremely limited once I force it to only look for direct.

We don'T mind leaving in the middle of the week. Like I said we can change the dates by about a week or so either earlier or later.

I think there are only direct flights from montreal to lisbon on the weekends though from what I've seen. Leaving from Quebec City is also another option, but it's pretty much never an option

The flight back can be a few days earlier or later no problem. We don't mind adding a couple days or losing a couple days.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 11, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

KingColliwog posted:

We don'T mind leaving in the middle of the week. Like I said we can change the dates by about a week or so either earlier or later.

I think there are only direct flights from montreal to lisbon on the weekends though from what I've seen. Leaving from Quebec City is also another option, but it's pretty much never an option

The flight back can be a few days earlier or later no problem. We don't mind adding a couple days or losing a couple days.

Montreal (YUL) to Zurich (ZRH) — Tue, May 3
Swiss International Airlines 87
Dep: 5:05 pm
Arr: 6:15 am
7h 10m
Boeing 777
Economy (K)
Meal, Breakfast, Meal, BreakfastIn-seat Video Player, In-seat Video Player
OPERATED BY SWISS GLOBAL AIR LINES

Layover in ZRH
Wed, May 4
5h 45m

Zurich (ZRH) to Lisbon (LIS) — Wed, May 4
Swiss International Airlines 2084
Dep: 12:00 pm
Arr: 1:50 pm
2h 50m
Airbus A321
Economy (K)
Snack or Brunch, Snack or Brunch

Barcelona (BCN) to Montreal (YUL) — Mon, May 23
Air Canada 1913
Dep: 12:50 pm
Arr: 3:05 pm
8h 15m
Boeing 767
Economy (L)
Meal, Snack or Brunch, Meal, Snack or Brunch
OPERATED BY AIR CANADA ROUGE

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
CA$879.15
x2 (2 adults)
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
CA$124.74
x1 (1 infant in lap)
Total cost for 3 passengers: CA$1,883.04

That's the very best I found, but again one stop. The convenience of not having to lug a child around and entertain them for several hours is probably worth the $300 or so CAD you would save by going the non-direct option.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thanks a lot for trying, I couldn,t find anything else without a stop but I thought it was worth a shot to see if you guys had more skills than I did. We definitely prefer spending and extra 300$ to avoid the stop, would be a different story if it was just the two of us though.

Thanks once again

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Want to fly CID (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) to ATL (Atlanta) surrounding March 19. So preferably March 17-21.

If we drove to Chicago, ORD<->ATL is something like $90.

But Iowa? We're looking at at least $300 a ticket, more likely $400 for Cedar Rapids.

One, is there any chance for cheaper prices?
Two, why the hell does Iowa suck for airfare? People fly here! It's an election year! And ATL is one of the few non-stops from CID!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Golbez posted:

Want to fly CID (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) to ATL (Atlanta) surrounding March 19. So preferably March 17-21.

If we drove to Chicago, ORD<->ATL is something like $90.

But Iowa? We're looking at at least $300 a ticket, more likely $400 for Cedar Rapids.

One, is there any chance for cheaper prices?
Two, why the hell does Iowa suck for airfare? People fly here! It's an election year! And ATL is one of the few non-stops from CID!

Yeah, the CID-ORD flights are expensive and that's what is hosing you. This is what happens when you fly out of a small city; less lift, higher demand, higher prices. ORD and ATL are hubs so they have tons of lift and thus lower prices. To quote The Wolf, move out of the sticks, gentlemen. ;)

The real choice is whether or not saving about $500 is worth the drive to ORD (or MCI) and back.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Looking to book a Labor Day weekend one-way flight to Vegas from either Boston or Providence on the Thursday before the weekend ---- better to buy several months early or wait until a few months out to purchase? Normally I'd wait till the summer to book, but I've never actually flown on Labor Day weekend before, so I didn't know if the prices would dramatically shoot up. It's roughly $270 on average for a good cost right now.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I'm currently trying to plan a trip out to California next month from 4/1 to 4/10 (+/- a day or so), and I was wondering whatever happened to really good bundles for flights with a rental car? In 2014, I had a round trip flight from CLT to SFO for nine days with a rental car for ~$500; now, I can't even find an option for the bundle on priceline's website - the best bundles elsewhere were around $750-850 for equivalent flights; more than I'd pay by booking separately with some options. Is there something I'm missing, or is this no longer a thing?

Not that I'm expecting anyone to do all sorts of legwork - if there's an option for bundles that I'm missing (just car and flight - I'm going camping), that would really help, though! but here's my info:

Origin: GSP or CLT
Destination: SFO, open to other locations
Duration of trip with dates: 4/1 until 4/10 - I have off the 4th - 8th and may have some small flexibility on additional days off, but would prefer to get home and be able to sleep and go back to work on the 11th.

I've been able to find flights with okay arrival times for around $400.

Also, any reason GSP (tiny little airport) is ~$100 cheaper than Charlotte - Douglas, when some of the flights stop there?

Edit: Huh, now I'm seeing the flight plus car thing. Still more expensive than last time by around $150, but it's a start.

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 15, 2016

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

railroad terror posted:

Looking to book a Labor Day weekend one-way flight to Vegas from either Boston or Providence on the Thursday before the weekend ---- better to buy several months early or wait until a few months out to purchase? Normally I'd wait till the summer to book, but I've never actually flown on Labor Day weekend before, so I didn't know if the prices would dramatically shoot up. It's roughly $270 on average for a good cost right now.

I see $226 for AA out of BOS for all days of Labor Day weekend. That goes down to $148 if you're willing to fly Spirit and all that doing so entails. Not sure where that $270 stuff is coming from. If those fares are low enough for you, book it. You can wait and see how it goes, but there is no guarantee either way.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

OneTwentySix posted:

I'm currently trying to plan a trip out to California next month from 4/1 to 4/10 (+/- a day or so), and I was wondering whatever happened to really good bundles for flights with a rental car? In 2014, I had a round trip flight from CLT to SFO for nine days with a rental car for ~$500; now, I can't even find an option for the bundle on priceline's website - the best bundles elsewhere were around $750-850 for equivalent flights; more than I'd pay by booking separately with some options. Is there something I'm missing, or is this no longer a thing?

Not that I'm expecting anyone to do all sorts of legwork - if there's an option for bundles that I'm missing (just car and flight - I'm going camping), that would really help, though! but here's my info:

Origin: GSP or CLT
Destination: SFO, open to other locations
Duration of trip with dates: 4/1 until 4/10 - I have off the 4th - 8th and may have some small flexibility on additional days off, but would prefer to get home and be able to sleep and go back to work on the 11th.

I've been able to find flights with okay arrival times for around $400.

Also, any reason GSP (tiny little airport) is ~$100 cheaper than Charlotte - Douglas, when some of the flights stop there?

Edit: Huh, now I'm seeing the flight plus car thing. Still more expensive than last time by around $150, but it's a start.

Car rentals are no where near as cheap as they were a few years ago when business travel was still down. Car rental rates, airfare, and hotel rates are all up across the board since 2014. The idea of bundles, to me at least, almost never makes sense as you can usually book directly with each provider (cutting out the middle man) for the same rates or very close to it. For cars, use corporate rates or autoslash.com and have them do the shopping for you.

$400 is a decent going rate for a round trip transcon these days. I paid more than that to do a one-way SEA-CLT on Saturday. GSP is often cheaper than CLT because airlines use market-based pricing, not distance-based pricing. I use GSP several times per year when the savings is significant enough to justify either a one-way car rental down there or driving my car back and forth for the ~80 miles. When the savings are north of $350-$400, it quickly becomes worth it to me.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Thanks, that helps me understand the situation better!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm planning a 15-20 day trip from Copenhagen to Canada this summer. July 25 to August 12, roughly.

I'll be spending most of my time in Ontario (basically any major airport there is fine), but I also want to spend about 6 days in Vancouver.

Will it still be cheaper to get return tickets, or should I be looking at one ways instead?
Is it more expensive to fly to and from Europe via Vancouver or Ontario? (Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto)

A suggestion for tickets would be awesome, but any help to focus my search would be appreciated.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I did a quick and dirty search, seeing roughly $1,100 USD with your choice of Air Canada, Air Brussels, or Lufthansa. I'll do a more comprehensive search when I get back to my computer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I would do an open-jaw ticket, go CPH->YYZ (or YUL or wherever) and then YVR->CPH for the return leg, and just buy a one-way ticket inside Canada from out east to YVR.

A quick Matrix search shows that for $1600 Canadian you can get all this including a flight from YYZ to YVR on August 6th with Air Canada.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Does anyone have any tips on finding non-specific deals?

What I mean is: I live in NYC and will have a 2 week vacation in October as well as 1 week breaks in late March and late November.

I don't really care where I go. I've been looking at nearby stuff like New Orleans/Toronto/California and far away or weird places like Iran/Moscow/Tokyo/Argentina/Latvia. I don't care too much about where I go.

I know sky scanner has a useful tool where you can put 'anywhere' down as a destination. But I was also sent this page about deals to Tokyo and am now wondering (even though I went last year) if I shouldn't do a few days in one of the participating cities before then flying from for example boston or LA to Tokyo.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/us-to-tokyo-on-united-from-435-round-trip/?preview_id=188100

Are there any sites/blogs that have eyes open for specific CRAZY DEALS?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't know about CRAZY deals, but Google Flights will now do general searches using an origin and a non-specific destination like "Europe" or "France" or something like that, and display the cheapest flights for you. This doesn't take into account any airline-specific frequent flyer programs, though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

October has some crazy festivals in Ehime, Japan (Dogo mikoshi, Saijo danjiri, Niihama taiko etc.)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What I mean is: I live in NYC and will have a 2 week vacation in October as well as 1 week breaks in late March and late November.

I don't really care where I go. I've been looking at nearby stuff like New Orleans/Toronto/California and far away or weird places like Iran/Moscow/Tokyo/Argentina/Latvia. I don't care too much about where I go.

I know sky scanner has a useful tool where you can put 'anywhere' down as a destination. But I was also sent this page about deals to Tokyo and am now wondering (even though I went last year) if I shouldn't do a few days in one of the participating cities before then flying from for example boston or LA to Tokyo.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/us-to-tokyo-on-united-from-435-round-trip/?preview_id=188100

http://www.theflightdeal.com/category/flight-deals/nyc/

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Flyertalk > Forums > Mileage Run Deals ( > Good Deals in Economy Class)

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
I'll be over in Frankfurt for a funded research/study trip later this Spring, and I'm planning on taking a bit of a holiday afterwards on my own dime.

Right now I'm looking at flying from:

- Frankfurt (FRA) to Casablanca (CMN) on May 1 (stay for 3-4 days)
- Casablanca (CMN) to London (any) on May 4 (stay for 3-4 days)
- London (any) to Calgary (YYC) on May 8

When I price it out as 3x separate one-way trips, my total cost is ~$1200, but when I'm quoting it as a "multi-city" trip on one ticket it's about 4 grand. Is that because the main carrier is taking on more risk by contracting all the flights through a code share?

Is planning a trip using multiple one-way flights normal (sorry I don't travel much :ohdear:)? Aside from totally missing my check-ins is there anything I need to worry about?

Grouco fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 27, 2016

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grouco posted:

I'll be over in Frankfurt for a funded research/study trip later this Spring, and I'm planning on taking a bit of a holiday afterwards on my own dime.

When I price it out as 3x separate one-way trips, my total cost is ~$1200, but when I'm quoting it as a "multi-city" trip on one ticket it's about 4 grand. Is that because the main carrier is taking on more risk by contracting all the flights through a code share?

Is planning a trip using multiple one-way flights normal (sorry I don't travel much :ohdear:)? Aside from totally missing my check-ins is there anything I need to worry about?

Probably just because no one carrier can offer a cheap ticket for all three routes (when buying the ticket as a multi-city essentially you're buying everything from one carrier, even if the flights are operated by others) but 3 different carriers might have the individual routes available for less.

Yes completely normal for a routing like that. Nothing to worry about except maybe lost luggage being routed to the correct place, but with 3/4 days and the flexibility carriers usually show, it shouldn't matter.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Grouco posted:

Nope; those are unprotected connections but given you have multiple days, I'd book without a second thought.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Would someone be able to look into CMN to LON one-way on May 5 for me?

I found what seems like a great flight on Google Flights for ~$170 (Marketed as IB 7970, BA 465), which appears to be an Iberia flight to Madrid operated by Air Maroc, and then Madrid to Heathrow with BA. Google Flights doesn't give me a direct link to book, but tells me to talk to a travel agent or call British Airways directly. I also found the same flight offered on Orbitz, but am a bit wary of booking through a Third Party.

But then when I searched on ITA matrix, that same flight didn't show up, and all the alternatives are much more expensive ($600-$800). I also looked up the flight on the Iberia and BA websites directly... but they were all much more expensive than the ~$170 flight I found previously.

I also searched on the Air Maroc site, and they have a bunch of flights available that didn't show up anywhere else!

Can one of you work your magic and make a recommendation?

Grouco fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 3, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If your hang up is over Orbitz, stop. Orbitz is completely legit. If you can get your price there then do it

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

If your hang up is over Orbitz, stop. Orbitz is completely legit. If you can get your price there then do it

Thanks, good to know.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've dealt with someone shady rear end websites for travel, it's all about that bottom line sometimes. You never know how these places get their price to be so different from others, but eh best not to think about it.

Only one I steer people away from is OneTravel, they're a little too shady for me.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I've dealt with someone shady rear end websites for travel, it's all about that bottom line sometimes. You never know how these places get their price to be so different from others, but eh best not to think about it.

Only one I steer people away from is OneTravel, they're a little too shady for me.

I've had issues with most of them and had no problems at all with most of them. The advice I normally give is to, whenever possible, book directly with the operating carrier. Less people between your ticket and those responsible for your transport is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the only travel website I've ever actually had issues with has been Expedia, and I've booked on some sketchy-rear end sites before.

I agree that booking through the carrier is always best.