Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
rugby is a good sport and it would legitimately represent health and safety gone mad to stop kids from playing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I think it'd be a sensible and proportionate response to a health risk we didn't know existed ten years ago. I wouldn't want my kid playing given the current state of the medical evidence any more than I'd be happy with compulsory boxing.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Rakosi posted:

I was always under the impression that that one was a 'roid rage.
I think they did scans on his brain and it turned out he had the neural degeneration of an 80 year old Alzheimer's patient. Steroids and apparently being pretty weird to start with probably didn't help, but smashing his brain against his skull five nights a week for years on end was probably the main factor.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zephro posted:

I think it'd be a sensible and proportionate response to a health risk we didn't know existed ten years ago. I wouldn't want my kid playing given the current state of the medical evidence any more than I'd be happy with compulsory boxing.
Is Rugby compulsory?

This thread has been pretty loving blase about throwing bricks at people's faces, so I think it's a tiny bit hypocritical to start hand wringing about mutually consensual and controlled forms of violence.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Sport tends to be compulsory at schools, yes. I don't necessarily object to the 'controlled violence' bit (within reason). I object to the 'risk of brain injuries that appear to be much worse and longer lasting than we realised' bit.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Compulsory rugby for fash kids?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

tooterfish posted:

Is Rugby compulsory?

This thread has been pretty loving blase about throwing bricks at people's faces, so I think it's a tiny bit hypocritical to start hand wringing about mutually consensual and controlled forms of violence.

It is in certain schools according to people in this thread. Even if parents could have their children excused from these that still stigmatises the kids.

Also, I don't think this thread supports giving children crippling head injuries. Adult assholes are fair game though.

And lol at 'controlled violence' when you're making GBS threads your pants at the suggestion of controls.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I didn't ask about sports, I asked about Rugby.

I live literally smack in the middle of Rugby League's heartlands. I know for a fact that Rugby isn't compulsory in schools here. And if it isn't here, I seriously have a hard time believing it is anywhere else.

Kegluneq posted:

And lol at 'controlled violence' when you're making GBS threads your pants at the suggestion of controls.
:allears:

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 3, 2016

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Rakosi posted:

I was always under the impression that that one was a 'roid rage.

It was Kevin sullivan

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

How many people are going off their memories? Rugby was compulsory when I was in school but that's 15+ years ago at this point, I'm willing to accept that the curriculum might have changed in that time.

e: vvv lol

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 3, 2016

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

tooterfish posted:

I didn't ask about sports, I asked about Rugby.

I live literally smack in the middle of Rugby League's heartlands. I know for a fact that Rugby isn't compulsory in schools here. And if it isn't here, I seriously have a hard time believing it is anywhere else.

Rugby was compulsory when I was in school like 11 years ago.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Sports of various kinds, including rugby, were compulsory when I was at school. In Year 12 you got to choose which you did from a menu of three that changed every term, but you had to chose one. I mostly chose basketball and swimming.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Party Boat posted:

How many people are going off their memories? Rugby was compulsory when I was in school but that's 15+ years ago at this point, I'm willing to accept that the curriculum might have changed in that time.

Rakosi posted:

Rugby was compulsory when I was in school like 11 years ago.

Was definitely compulsory at my school 6 years ago, and pretty sure I didn't hear anything about it not being compulsory for the lower years when I was doing A-level, so ~4 years ago.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
rugby (union) is good because even the fat kids can be useful

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
league is gay as gently caress though

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Zephro posted:

Kids like smoking too, and most of then will never get lung cancer, but I still don't think schools should make it compulsory

Are you really equating smoking with rugby?

A kid two years above me at school was loving around in the school pool, smacked his head and was underwater a few seconds too long before someone noticed. He survived, but with life changing brain damage. Drowning is one of the largest accidental killers of kids- should the school have changed things so we could only swim tethered with a scuba tank and armbands?

The school stopped the pool being used for external use during school hours to allow more slots for swimming lessons for kids to take place and lectured the poo poo out of us about the dangers of screwing around near/in water, complete with scary videos and constant references to the kid that nearly died. It was pretty effective.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 3, 2016

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

DesperateDan posted:

A kid two years above me at school was loving around in the school pool, smacked his head and was underwater a few seconds too long before someone noticed. He survived, but with life changing brain damage. Drowning is one of the largest accidental killers of kids- should the school have changed things so we could only swim tethered with a scuba tank and armbands?

The school stopped the pool being used for external use during school hours to allow more slots for swimming lessons for kids to take place and lectured the poo poo out of us about the dangers of screwing around near/in water, complete with scary videos and constant references to the kid that nearly died.

Man, they really shouldn't have introduced violent contact sports in that swimming pool.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JFairfax posted:

rugby (union) is good because even the fat kids can be useful

This is probably one of the biggest benefits for playing rugby in schools, Everyone has a role to play and its very inclusive. My experience with playing rugby wasn't getting repeatedly hit in the head, in fact I don't think I ever took a hit above the shoulders in all the years I played it at school. I honestly think this is a full on over reaction to something that's not actually a problem.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

This is probably one of the biggest benefits for playing rugby in schools, Everyone has a role to play and its very inclusive. My experience with playing rugby wasn't getting repeatedly hit in the head, in fact I don't think I ever took a hit above the shoulders in all the years I played it at school. I honestly think this is a full on over reaction to something that's not actually a problem.

"I wasn't personally affected" isn't exactly a winning argument. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but the people who were concussed are more significant than those who weren't.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

At my school the kids who were good at sport played rugby and the kids who weren't so good played touch rugby or football.

I was always in the latter camp, being the resident Fat Nerd. Which suited me fine, except for the one time I managed to sort of flop over the line and score what would have been a try if it wasn't for the fact that we were playing touch rugby.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The way to get let off "compulsory" sports is to be so bad that nobody ever wants to pass you anything (because you'll deliberately give it to the other team or wing it over a fence)

JFairfax posted:

if you tackle properly in rugby your head shouldn't get hit, I agree that being pushed out on a pitch to play for the school team without any practice is bonkers. My secondary school was in the countryside (think hot fuzz) so it was a state one but had plenty of rugby pitches and you started from year 7.

We got a taster session at primary school that consisted of a dude showing up with some tackle dummies and saying "run into this thing as hard as you can" with minimal explanation.

I did it, staggered halfway across the field, passed out and threw up. I heartily recommend all ten year olds get concussion, it was great (not)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 3, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Rughy is still compulory at my school from years 7-10, but private school so it doesn't have to obey the curriculum.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
I went to some pretty rugby-mad schools in Wales 15-20 years ago, and I can't recall it ever being compulsory. Opting out as a boy would certainly have earned you a lot of rather cruel mocking and jokes about your sexuality/masculinity, however.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 3, 2016

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Accidents happen, but proper equipment and training help a great deal. My rugby experience at school was being given a jumper and told to run at the big lad, and if that's the standard then no wonder kids get hurt.

Then again maybe I just went to a poo poo school. When I was in Year 9 a kid's parents sued because he broke his leg playing football and the teacher had a couple of the bigger lads carry him to the nurse's office.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

When I was in Year 9 a kid's parents sued because he broke his leg playing football and the teacher had a couple of the bigger lads carry him to the nurse's office.
What on earth was the suit based on? Nothing in that sequence of events seems unreasonable or objectionable unless the parents believed that the school had a duty to make their kid immune to accidents.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I'm pretty shocked that so many say it's compulsory actually, especially so recently. I'm willing to be stood corrected on that one.

While I don't think it should be banned, I definitely don't think it should be compulsory.

JFairfax posted:

league is gay as gently caress though
League is symbolic of proletariat struggle against bourgeoisie oppression.

Union is symbolic of braying toffs shoving their fingers up each other's arses.

I'll let the the jury decide.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

What on earth was the suit based on? Nothing in that sequence of events seems unreasonable or objectionable unless the parents believed that the school had a duty to make their kid immune to accidents.
The broken leg wasn't the issue, the issue was with getting untrained children to drag/carry a kid with multiple fractures off the field and through the school rather than waiting for someone who knew what they were doing.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

DesperateDan posted:

I'm saying "Kids enjoy [potentially harmful activity] is not a good reason for making [potentially harmful activity] compulsory for kids".

I do think you can draw a fair analogy between concussion and smoking, though. We thought it was fairly harmless; when people get around to doing research it turns out to be much worse than we thought; the more research we do the worse it appears to be.

I think a fair and sensible response to those findings is "do fewer things likely to expose you to the risk of concussion". School sport is something worth looking at because:

1) Kids are smaller and less robust than adults, and their brains are still developing
2) Unlike adults, kids don't have a choice

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

LemonDrizzle posted:

Ever had a broken limb? You don't want to move at all until the paramedic sticks you with the good stuff. Having a bunch of lads heft you up and carry you around would be excruciating, and depending on the nature of the break, could make things significantly worse. The teacher/s would have had first aid training and duty of care, and would thus be expected not to do that.

Kegluneq posted:

Man, they really shouldn't have introduced violent contact sports in that swimming pool.

A: You bastard

and

B: LOL

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Really the only perfect solution would be to concede that children do not have a choice in their own existence, which is always inevitably harmful, and ban kids.

At least until a coalition of MPs and BBC staff suggest that there's a middle ground and it's called touch kids.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Zephro posted:

I'm saying "Kids enjoy [potentially harmful activity] is not a good reason for making [potentially harmful activity] compulsory for kids".

I do think you can draw a fair analogy between concussion and smoking, though. We thought it was fairly harmless; when people get around to doing research it turns out to be much worse than we thought; the more research we do the worse it appears to be.

I think a fair and sensible response to those findings is "do fewer things likely to expose you to the risk of concussion". School sport is something worth looking at because:

1) Kids are smaller and less robust than adults, and their brains are still developing
2) Unlike adults, kids don't have a choice

It wasn't compulsory for me, I could have chosen hockey or football instead- and a reasonable response could also be "reduce the risks" rather than "avoid the risks entirely". Life sucks, it's full of risks- kids should be taught about assessing and dealing with the risks rather than avoiding them entirely.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

DesperateDan posted:

It wasn't compulsory for me, I could have chosen hockey or football instead- and a reasonable response could also be "reduce the risks" rather than "avoid the risks entirely". Life sucks, it's full of risks- kids should be taught about assessing and dealing with the risks rather than avoiding them entirely.
OK, you were lucky. It was compulsory for me, until Year 12, and it's compulsory for lots of other people. And yes, you could reduce the risks, perhaps by playing touch rugby instead, allowing tackling only in much older children, requiring parental permission or whatever. I don't think kids can meaningfully "assess and deal with" risks when they don't have a choice about whether they have to participate, have no control over how competently the lesson is taught, or whether other kids might decide "wouldn't it be fun to deliberately smack people in the head for the lulz", etc.

Life is indeed full of risks, and one way you learn to deal with them is by making trade-offs. So when some activity turns out to be significantly riskier than you realised, the sensible thing to do is reconsider whether the risk/reward calculation is still worth it. Which is why people are talking about whether rugby should be compulsory in [some] schools or not.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rugby was compulsory in my middle school. The teacher would make us practise tackles until he was satisfied we could successfully take down an opponent.

On the plus side, that's where I get very good at running and dodging, but forcing us to play when it was 4 degrees outside gave plenty of us colds.

In upper school you could choose between rugby/football or netball/tennis and I must tell you I was a very good goal shooter and my tennis serve improved immensely.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kegluneq posted:

"I wasn't personally affected" isn't exactly a winning argument. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but the people who were concussed are more significant than those who weren't.

Yeah no kidding. When we did it at school we started with tackling practice, which ended up with one kid (who was another teacher's son and on the football team) going to hospital with a broken collarbone. While he was gone we played a game and I got a scar the length of my forearm when I scored a try and someone dived in studs first to stop me. My anecdotes clearly prove rugby is dangerous and there's no need for it

On the plus side it would annoy a lot of Tories and save countless kids from being assaulted by Boris 'whoops I tripped' Johnson during PR events

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I do also like that people in the thread who were so supportive of the junior doctors strike have now turned and gone "huwah? They no wanting me get brane damaj? FUKK THEM"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LemonDrizzle posted:

I went to some pretty rugby-mad schools in Wales 15-20 years ago, and I can't recall it ever being compulsory. Opting out as a boy would certainly have earned you a lot of rather cruel mocking and jokes about your sexuality/masculinity, however.

Don't want to wrestle sweaty muddy prebuscent boys on the cold ground? Must be gay!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rugby was compulsory at my school during january/febuary, managed to get out of it in year 8 by having my appendix removed over christmas. And the nurses thought I'd be sad about not doing PE for 6 Weeks :allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

The long term effects of several repeat concussions is pretty horrific though. And there not as simple to detect as previously thought. It's a huge deal in
MMA, boxing and Pro Wrestling right now and has forced several of the top names out after new tests showed extensive brain damage that isn't being allowed to heal but the brain would create new pathways to compensate for the damaged tissue. It's basically why the mortality rate in these professions is so high.

Being punched in the head for a living can cause brain damage, who would have thought.

On the other hand, we should not ban rugby from schools. It's mainly public schools that play it, and anything that potentially shortens the lives of Tories can't be bad.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

Rugby was compulsory in my middle school. The teacher would make us practise tackles until he was satisfied we could successfully take down an opponent.

On the plus side, that's where I get very good at running and dodging, but forcing us to play when it was 4 degrees outside gave plenty of us colds.

In upper school you could choose between rugby/football or netball/tennis and I must tell you I was a very good goal shooter and my tennis serve improved immensely.
We (ie boys as well as girls) played netball in primary school. I really enjoyed it. Wing Attack 4 lyfe basketball is better though .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As long as it's non-compulsory I don't mind, but giving us the choice of brain damage in cold weather or detention / suspension I'll take the mark on my record.

• Locked thread