Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

More good news for Hillary, WaPo is reporting that the DoJ has/will grant immunity to the staffer that set up Clinton's personal email server.

That, of course, means he can be forced to testify, as he can not incriminate himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Just saw this on my Facebook feed: look what my friends found at the store today.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lacrosse posted:

Just saw this on my Facebook feed: look what my friends found at the store today.

yeah the newberry awards are a loving sham, this deserved it

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

computer parts posted:

Two important notes here:

- "Full time" in this case means 30 hours, instead of 40 hours. This is because they anticipated employers would cut hours to avoid Health insurance payouts.

- It was not "left up to the states" to accept Medicaid. That was a concession forced by the Supreme Court. The original bill required states take the Medicaid expansion or the existing funding would be pulled.

Which employers cut to 29 hours anyways.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tempest_56 posted:

But the system falls apart when you remove those less likely people - if the likelyhood of a $10,000 claim is 1 in 10, you need to charge $1,000 a head to break even, and the benefits are suddenly a lot less lucrative. Take the healthy people out of the health care pool and the premiums needed to keep the plan afloat skyrocket. But that doesn't actually help the healthy people, because they're still exposed to freak chance - even someone perfectly healthy can be hit by a car or get hit with a contagious disease. Then they're destitute. Plus the system already heavily subsidizes the sick on the public dollar, particularly through the emergency room. Uninsured people literally hurt everyone in the system, themselves included, and removing the mandate almost totally collapses the underlying principles of the system.

I'm the person the ACA relies on. I'm a healthy, 28 year old male in decent shape with no red flag family histories (and a liberal minded person at that), and I don't give flying gently caress if the ACA collapses because it's no use to me. Healthcare simply costs too much. Even the most basic option would cost about 10% of my raw income, before I've paid rent or anything, and it still sucks. If it was just that 10% and then I never had to worry, then yeah I guess I could find a way to budget it if I really had to. But its 10% and I'm still hosed if anything terrible happens because the coverage is atrocious. The copays are obscene, and I have to pay at least half on basically everything. I can't siphon 10% of my paycheck before any expenses whatsoever and then still fork over many thousands of dollars in an emergency. I haven't had any insurance since the ACA was passed and I won't this year either. The penalty is paltry by comparison.

Anyone who wants to tear it down, Trump or otherwise, can be my guest because it's already worthless to me. It can only be improved. If Republicans rage-bomb it and replace with it with the shittiest, most exploitative crap imaginable then it's no difference to me be I'm still just plain old uninsured. Might as well let somebody try.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 3, 2016

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Xae posted:

It isn't bullshit.

Most health insurers maintain a different system for each state they do business in. Each state has its own laws and regulations about how claims are adjudicated and paid. Each year the insurers also need to review laws from 50 different states and insurance regulators and update the systems to be in compliance. It also means there is 51 sets of regulatory paperwork you need to file at year end.

This is why the proper answer to any proposal to allow insurance companies to operate across state lines is "great idea, but before we can even start that we'll have to replace the mishmash of state laws currently making that impossible with some good strong federal standards" :getin:

But then, as usual European-style multi-payer UHC is a much more natural path forward in the US than the Canadian or UK models.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

More good news for Hillary, WaPo is reporting that the DoJ has/will grant immunity to the staffer that set up Clinton's personal email server.

“Kids, your mom has to go away for a while. See if you can find Grandpa. We need him!”

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lacrosse posted:

I was wishing for this exact thing when I read the headline. :allears:

In related news: As Trump takes the lead, rich GOP donors have no one to give to

Magical.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So the standard line of attack I keep hearing about the ACA is that it's the individual mandate that's the devil incarnate.

Except the only other feasible alternative to an individual mandate is to have it funded via taxes, right? Which is effectively the same, just branded differently, right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The only reason I have insurance is because the ACA exists.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

^^^^ I was unemployed for a little while and thanks to the Medicaid expansion I qualified for MediCal. It was great to not have to worry about getting sick while I was looking for work.

gradenko_2000 posted:

So the standard line of attack I keep hearing about the ACA is that it's the individual mandate that's the devil incarnate.

Except the only other feasible alternative to an individual mandate is to have it funded via taxes, right? Which is effectively the same, just branded differently, right?

Basically, though you could structure the taxes in a progressive fashion so that it's wealthier folks paying the largest share. But that's not really all that different from just offering the poorest free healthcare and the less poor to middle class folks subsidies.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Clearly appearance and branding is everything when it comes to whether people like the ACA or not. Especially whether you call it that or Obamacare.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Xae posted:

It isn't bullshit.

Most health insurers maintain a different system for each state they do business in. Each state has its own laws and regulations about how claims are adjudicated and paid. Each year the insurers also need to review laws from 50 different states and insurance regulators and update the systems to be in compliance. It also means there is 51 sets of regulatory paperwork you need to file at year end.

The bullshit part is that any Federal set of rules and regs would probably be completely gutted of any consumer protection by the Republicans.

The bold part is incredibly wrong. All types of insurance are very heavily regulated. It can take years to get systems for a new market ready, even if it is in a line that you already do business in. Life and P&C are pretty easy because most regulation is uniform, but some forms like WC and Health are a state level clusterfuck.

Also known as Adverse Selection.

The various state departments of insurance do not operate completely in isolation from one another with no communication or coordination with vastly different regulations and legal hurdles. They even have a big widely-respected national group (NAIC, the national association of insurance commissioners) where these state insurance regulators meet and trade ideas and data on how to regulate insurance companies and what their experience was on what worked in their state.

Yes, there are a few special snowflake states who do weird, unique, stupid poo poo that is a pain in the rear end to accomodate that no other state makes you do, but most state departments of insurance have more or less agreed to a common idea on how to regulate insurance forms, rates, and products with a few odd state quirks or law differences here and there and once you've become accustomed to filing in a "normal" state as an insurance company, you can easily file your product for approval in almost all of them.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 3, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Heh, the rats are fleeing the ship:

quote:

Fox News’ top brass has given up hope on the presidential campaign of Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), according to a Wednesday New York Magazine report.

The report cites three anonymous Fox sources who said network chairman Roger Ailes told people he's lost faith in Rubio’s ability to secure the Republican nomination after disappointing returns in early primaries and caucuses.

Rubio secured his first win in Minnesota on Super Tuesday, while top rivals Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Donald Trump so far have won four and 10 contests, respectively.

“We’re finished with Rubio,” Ailes allegedly told an unnamed Fox host, according to the report. "We can't do the Rubio thing anymore."

A Fox spokesperson did not immediately respond Wednesday afternoon to TPM’s request for comment.

Some at the network have been slow to reckon with Rubio’s ailing campaign, holding the Florida senator up as the responsible conservative alternative to his outsider opponents and celebrating his second-place wins in the early voting states of South Carolina and Nevada.

Just last week, Rubio made the case on “Fox and Friends” that winning individual states isn’t the path to securing the nomination of the Republican Party.

"You don’t win the nomination by how many states you win," Rubio insisted.

Hannity is leading the charge, he is straight up trashing Rubio now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

USPOL March - "We can't do the Rubio thing anymore."

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I wonder if there actually will be any internal strife past the convention about supporting Trump, or if the establishment republicans will grin and bear it.

Someone told me the Tea Party doesn't like Trump because he dissed the Constitution or whatever. I could imagine those guys holding a petty grudge, but I think they pretended to like Romney so idk.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Phone posted:

This is how it's supposed to work; however, this is the reality of it:

:v: Hey, something happened and I've been paying you guys like 5 years for insurance coverage, what are my options?
:geno: We're going to cover 20% of whatever, and then either drop your rear end like a hot potato or increase your premiums by 50% starting immediately.

There are literally specific protections in the ACA to prevent this from happening. Non-rear end in a top hat states have had these protections in place for more than a decade.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Sounds good. Let's set up a progressive tax to pay for it instead of regressive premiums.

The problem is that unless you're talking a public option (which would be by far better), this actually ends up costing significantly more. Mostly because the uninsured don't do things like preventive care - they seek help when the situation is dire and things that could have been fixed with a $10 bottle of asprin now needs $10,000 in specalized antibiotics.

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm the person the ACA relies on. I'm a healthy, 28 year old male in decent shape with no red flag family histories (and a liberal minded person at that), and I don't give flying gently caress if the ACA collapses because it's no use to me.

Then you are, quite bluntly, an idiot. I understand that health insurance costs a lot - I have to pay for it too and being a part of the system doesn't mean I get a break. But that $100/$200/$500/$whatever a month is saving you money in the long term because you will get sick. It might not be tomorrow or next week or next year, but you will. And without coverage you are going to eat a bill far in excess of the cost of insurance up to that point. Most of what you're outlining are problems specific to how hosed up the American healthcare system is, and has little to do with the ACA or insurance. I deal with folks who have objections like yours on a daily basis, and you're all whining about pennies on the dollar for when something bad happens. Break a bone from slipping on icy pavement and you're easily looking at a $3,000 bill (for an arm or leg, $40,000 if you bust your hip); your appendix needs to be removed and that's $35,000; roll the dice bad and get hit with cancer and the bill's easily over $100,000. The penalty from the ACA is a minor nudge - the real penalty is when you get to deal with medical bankruptcy because you gambled on the extremely poor idea that you will remain healthy forever. (You will not.)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Drove me out of restaurants too. A lot of companies are real hosed now going forward because 2 generations of people will never see them as anything but short sighted slave drivers. McDonald's and Wal Mart are closing stores, must be the menu that needs changed, or open earlier on Thanksgiving for black Friday!

The gold standard for employment anymore is government work. Didn't that used to be the boring, secure, low paying option? Now it's the best a lot of people can hope for

Funny you mention Walmart because they tried to move towards more full time workers because they did the math and found that yeah having a skeleton crew with low hours and chaotic just-on-time scheduling was costing money.

But quarterly returns! Rational free market actors :downs:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^
Apparently recent MBA graduates are having one hell of a time getting managers from previous generations to shift philosophy. That said, at least the current generation of MBA students understand the current issues.

Not only that, but actively backing Trump.

The GOP is in such a hilarious state of disarray and I'm only afraid that they can get it together enough to hammer through a candidate that isn't Trump.

Boon fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 3, 2016

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Funding it with taxes is not the same, it's a whole lot worse.

Aside from flattening the insurance rates, the big point of the individual mandate is to make sure that everyone has insurance. People with no health insurance don't go to doctors regularly because they can't afford it. No routine checkups, no preventative care, no early detection of problems. They tend to put off all health care until they suddenly have an emergency that's impossible to ignore. Then the total costs for emergency health care are higher than the total costs would have been for preventative care, in much the same way that it's cheaper to routinely change the oil on a car instead of waiting for it to fail and then repairing the engine. Because people with no insurance can't afford emergency health care any more than they can afford routine checkups, the government ends up paying for the emergencies anyway.

So effectively, we're already funding emergency care via taxes. The goal of the mandate is to replace emergency care with basic ongoing care; not only is it cheaper, but it's a hell of a lot better for the people involved.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If Trump wins Florida then it's I think time to say that's all she wrote.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The word I've heard is that he needs to win both Ohio and Florida to destroy the best laid plans of mice and men

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
He's ahead in Florida, but you can bet the spending is going to be enormous probably in the next few weeks by the RNC to stop him and I don't think he can weather the storm. He has good polling bad poll numbers.

It's fun as hell though to read all these reports from Republican's losing their loving minds.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tobermory posted:

Funding it with taxes is not the same, it's a whole lot worse.

Aside from flattening the insurance rates, the big point of the individual mandate is to make sure that everyone has insurance. People with no health insurance don't go to doctors regularly because they can't afford it. No routine checkups, no preventative care, no early detection of problems. They tend to put off all health care until they suddenly have an emergency that's impossible to ignore. Then the total costs for emergency health care are higher than the total costs would have been for preventative care, in much the same way that it's cheaper to routinely change the oil on a car instead of waiting for it to fail and then repairing the engine. Because people with no insurance can't afford emergency health care any more than they can afford routine checkups, the government ends up paying for the emergencies anyway.

So effectively, we're already funding emergency care via taxes. The goal of the mandate is to replace emergency care with basic ongoing care; not only is it cheaper, but it's a hell of a lot better for the people involved.

Thank you for this - I appreciate having the distinction pointed out.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
I can't wait to watch Romney's thing tomorrow

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Funny you mention Walmart because they tried to move towards more full time workers because they did the math and found that yeah having a skeleton crew with low hours and chaotic just-on-time scheduling was costing money.

But quarterly returns! Rational free market actors :downs:

Costing money in the sense that understaffing all their locations with overworked and miserable employees turned the stores into barely functional poo poo holes. Workers had no motivation to do a decent job even if they had the time to do what was asked, products never made it from the backroom to the shelves and customers didn't want to shop in empty stores staffed by employees that wanted to kill themselves.

Although if Walmart could get away with treating their workers like that without digging a financial hole they'd gleefully continue.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
As an outside observer to your whole election shitshow, I kind of wish Obama could run for a third term.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Meg From Family Guy posted:

I can't wait to watch Romney's thing tomorrow

What thing? I hope he endorses Rubio. Cause that would probably gently caress Rubio more.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  AND  FACE  TO  GUNSHED

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Boon posted:

Not only that, but actively backing Trump.

The GOP is in such a hilarious state of disarray and I'm only afraid that they can get it together enough to hammer through a candidate that isn't Trump.

God it's such BS that the R voters don't loving care that everyone they listen to flipflops on issues to suit the narrative.

Bowe Bergdahl was a major example. The ground zero mosque is an ancient example from when the Muslim hate was below 9.

God remember the jokes from before 2015 when we said if Clinton won Obama would suddenly turn into a "moderate that tried to work with us."

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hhahahha

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Freezer posted:

As an outside observer to your whole election shitshow, I kind of wish Obama could run for a third term.

So do most of us, now if only we could turn that into a movement to repeal the 22nd amendment.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So do most of us, now if only we could turn that into a movement to repeal the 22nd amendment.

That happens after Trump is inaugurated.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I wonder if there actually will be any internal strife past the convention about supporting Trump, or if the establishment republicans will grin and bear it.
The former

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

site posted:

That happens after Trump is inaugurated.

https://twitter.com/gerrycanavan/status/703764226767106049

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
The only thing I can think Romney can do tomorrow that would actually change anything would be to give Trump the keys to the Republican Party and announce the formation of a new Conservative Party. They created a monster and there's no way to recover the GOP so let trump have it. The Party is dead, long live the Party, in effect. Let everyone have the choice to line up behind Trump Nativism or Romney/Ryan/Sasse/etc Conservatism.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scott Forstall posted:

The only thing I can think Romney can do tomorrow that would actually change anything would be to give Trump the keys to the Republican Party and announce the formation of a new Conservative Party. They created a monster and there's no way to recover the GOP so let trump have it. The Party is dead, long live the Party, in effect. Let everyone have the choice to line up behind Trump Nativism or Romney/Ryan/Sasse/etc Conservatism.

I don't think they would do this because it effectively guarantees that they couldn't win the Presidency.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I don't think the "real conservative" party would be too popular either, cause not many people actually give a poo poo about "real conservative" principles as pushed by the GOP.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think they would do this because it effectively guarantees that they couldn't win the Presidency.

Yeah, uh, if there's one thing this cycle has hammered on it's that these people don't believe a word of the bullshit they preach.

Hell, the constituency doesn't even seem to believe it. I've read plenty of instances of people saying they're going to vote for Trump because gently caress minority here/they want to spite ____ candidate or group. Worse still, a number of them seem to be vociferously anti-fact. I've had a few people tell me that they don't care that they're being lied too after they were cornered on Trump being full of it.

What these people really want is for their chosen candidate to make them feel good about their biases so they can keep on being destructive shitheads to the rest of the world. I'm not sure where they would have gone if the Republicans had found their spine and principles decades ago and never started down this path but it'd probably end up with everyone else being in a much better position now given what we're seeing.

The hanger ons, low info voters that think Trump is actually a good idea after he bamboozles them with double speak and careful dodges in interviews, and flip floppers that started out stridently against him only to quietly flip over to his side in increasing numbers came after those people when it became apparent that Trump wasn't going to flame out as the official "racist" candidate that let the other candidates dog whistle out of the side of their mouth once he was gone.

When you get down to it the whole thing is just embarrassing. That's not the stuff you want to see on a national stage. The attacks on protesters, the violence against minorities, and the horribly racist and fascist rhetoric are all way out of line what what a properly governed political party looks like.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Tempest_56 posted:

Then you are, quite bluntly, an idiot. I understand that health insurance costs a lot - I have to pay for it too and being a part of the system doesn't mean I get a break. But that $100/$200/$500/$whatever a month is saving you money in the long term because you will get sick.

To put it bluntly, you're the idiot here.

If he gets sick he goes bankrupt or dies. Paying for "bronze" (or even gold!) insurance on the exchange doesn't change that, since it still requires something ridiculous like 50-60% of his gross salary in total costs.

You pay 10% of your income and get nothing for the first $2500 of medical care. Then you have to pay some massive percentage of whatever it costs after that? That's not insurance, it's a tax on stupid people.

Go. Go to the exchange. Read the coverage he'd be getting, then come back here with a straight face and tell him that it's worth it.

• Locked thread