Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Plural Abysss posted:

CIG needs to give you your own show, Pgabz

Truly the most entertaining Star Citizen content being created

CIG should really replace their stupid glitch show with Pgabz' videos. It would be much more entertaining and beneficial for them I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The cultists really set themselves up to be trolled. It's fun :)

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Shadowlyger posted:

So I just had an interesting conversation with a friend, which culminated in this fine quote.

Whale vomit has worth. A pound of whale vomit can be sold for $5,000, the same cannot be said for Star Citizen.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Ravane posted:

Whale vomit has worth. A pound of whale vomit can be sold for $5,000, the same cannot be said for Star Citizen.

That's a lot of whale vomit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A pound of whale vomit may be $5,000 for a pound, but Star Citizen is $45 for nothing.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Shadowlyger posted:

So I just had an interesting conversation with a friend, which culminated in this fine quote.

Amspergris?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Samizdata posted:

Nice, but can I be in it too? Something like a wizard with spells like Laser Derail? There's a bright beam of light that fade rapidly, does damage, and shoves the monster/boss out of the way.

There is room for everyone! We're all mad down here.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Sorry. Did I miss this earlier in the thread by chance?

Is the helmet flip in this Doom 4 Video a small jab at Star Citizen or just one of those cool factors that everybody does and I've just only now noticed because of how lovely it was done in Star Citizen?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
MassivelyOP: Overthinking the Star Citizen Money Machine

This surely was in thread and I missed it. If anyone else missed it too, it's actually a great read if you've got the time to dive in. The closing paragraphs:

quote:

Patreon Donor Archebius: O great Star Citizen, the Unassessably Wealthy!

"I think that everyone was right to predict that funding would slow down dramatically; sure, the gaming community has been starved for a really good space sim for ages, but $100,000,0000 is an appropriate measure of our desire, right?

Apparently not.

I don’t think that this wallet-emptying spree is the result of actual quality that we’ve seen from the game; though the modules they’ve released so far are functional, I still don’t feel like it’s tying together into anything very satisfying as of yet. Mass hysteria is out; Star Citizen has been rolling on for way too long to chalk it up to temporary insanity.

Ultimately, it’s successful for the same reason that home gym systems, fiery politicians, and self-help books are perennial favorites: It’s more a reflection of what we want to believe is possible than what might actually be.

We want to pretend that Blizzard isn’t seriously looking into the mobile market. We want to believe that there’s still the potential for games out there that can surprise us and engage us, not copy-pasted franchise installments with one gimmicky mechanic to set them apart. We remember a time when we played games like Escape Velocity with branching storylines (!) and ships you manually outfitted (!!), when we first set foot in New Eden and grasped the size and scope of the universe, when we flipped through the galactic map in Mass Effect and read about all these worlds that existed out there, somewhere.

Wanderlust is a very real thing. It’s what drives us to explore, virtually or in reality, to seek new horizons and new stars. To find. To weave new stories. And lately, games have been more focused on getting us to play them, and keep playing them, than they have on creating a place worth our time.

Star Citizen isn’t just a game; it’s hope. Hope for an experience we haven’t had in a long time. Hope that we can feel again what we haven’t felt in years: something new, something to discover, something to explore. Something that, years from now, we’ll look back on and think, “Man, that game made me feel something I hadn’t since I was a kid.”

And apparently, you can’t put a price on that desire."

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Dusty Lens posted:

That's a lot of whale vomit.

I'm glad that funding is decelerating, so that the protracted death of Star Citizen can accelerate :getin:

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

drat that was funny. I like how the chat box has the best pvp action in it.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Marine : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpxDFExwhU

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

G0RF posted:

This surely was in thread and I missed it. If anyone else missed it too, it's actually a great read if you've got the time to dive in. The closing paragraphs:

You can put a price on that desire - in fact there's a whole store full of dumb poo poo that costs money that fulfills some weird desire for a non-game, and there are people actively shilling poo poo from that store to raise more money. Then they cultivate an aura of perfect around themselves and cull the non-believers into their own subforum or ban them outright. It's too bad Jim Jones wasn't a game developer in the 90s - it would have been glorious to see.
Recipe for stupidity:
1. Find some cult hero from the 90s to promise the best game ever whilst also catering to every wish and whim.
2. Raise money to create game.
3. Become so successful, that you keep changing the goalposts and blame it on the community for loving you so much.
4. Actively seek out more money by constantly promising new things.
5. Shill all of that out weekly with talk shows.
6. Cultivate a cult of personality around your chairman (As an aside the origination of the word chairman is hilarious, especially when you apply it to squatcobblers).
7. Remove the non-believers and create and echo chamber.
8. Repeat 3-8.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Ravane posted:

I was thinking of it more as the sperg variety of whale. :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Samizdata posted:

What's this about the Windows Store then?

Games For Windows Live 2: Electric Boogaloo

so another big microsoft "we care about PC games" initiative. and just like all their past big initiatives they start out by making things a lot worse.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

G0RF posted:

As usual there's a bunch of whales defending their :retrogames: in the comments, getting very angry if anyone dares question the promises of Christ Crablump.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Lime Tonics posted:

No SLI or CrossFire
VSync is Always On
GSYNC issues
Third Party Peripheral issues
Always Borderless Fullscreen Mode
No Modding
No Overlays

From the xbox thread.

Just been reading and it looks like all those restrictions are not oversights, but core design ideas about how the games are delivered. Don't expect changes. All the shittiness of console gaming combined with the suck of PC gaming from the comfort of your own filthy gooncave. I don't know how Microsoft ever got all the money because they seem consistently terrible recently. Glad the best game they have hostage is Quantum Break

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Love everything about this video.

Also is that Kirk singing Common People? :eyepop:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Berious posted:

Just been reading and it looks like all those restrictions are not oversights, but core design ideas about how the games are delivered. Don't expect changes. All the shittiness of console gaming combined with the suck of PC gaming from the comfort of your own filthy gooncave. I don't know how Microsoft ever got all the money because they seem consistently terrible recently. Glad the best game they have hostage is Quantum Break

Maybe they should buy out a hugely successful nexgen game that is designed to save PC gaming? :v:

Also, on the topic of nexgen graphics,I stumbled across this apropos classic.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
http://imgur.com/a/VZznH

Wew. I cannot wait to manually grabby hands those components out of my spaceship into my storage and go to shops and manually haul the components to my ship and build them in!

quote:

Depleated
this is how I feel about SC :^)

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Chris' plan to have an FPS that's closer to Arma than CoD is really coming together. Feel that fidelity commando.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

darkarchon posted:

Wew. I cannot wait to manually grabby hands those components out of my spaceship into my storage and go to shops and manually haul the components to my ship and build them in!

Is it normal to design assets with such high polycounts only to have to reduce them so dramatically for them to be implemented in game?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Help Mark Skelton

quote:

Mark Skelton's (Austin Dev and Gold shirt wearer) daughter has had an accident and he need donations to help her, she fell 40 feet off of a retaining wall and fractured several vertebrae in her lower back along with breaking both her radius and ulna in her left forearm.
I know how awesome this community has been at helping other members in similar circumstances.
https://pages.giveforward.com/medical/page-fjwmgm2/
PROOF:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/48qr6r/help_mark_skelton/d0lr3l6
EDIT:
This post has only been up for about an hour and already well over $1000 was raised, This community is fantastic and full of generous people.
Edit2:
$5,000 has been raised with in a day.

$6,520 of $50,000

It's nice to see Citizens give money to something useful for a change.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

Help Mark Skelton

$6,520 of $50,000

Yeah, that's pretty great.

Still, are those kinds of out-of-pocket costs common in 'murica? Or did Crob shaft him on insurance?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Chalks posted:

Is it normal to design assets with such high polycounts only to have to reduce them so dramatically for them to be implemented in game?

Yeah that's actually a common technique for baking normal maps and stuff like that from the highpoly models.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AP posted:

Help Mark Skelton

$6,520 of $50,000

It is. A bit worrying too though, maybe we're wrong abo...

Oh no, there they go actually defending a healthcare system that requires loving donations from redditors to function properly.

Faith restored.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Chalks posted:

Yeah, you can retain a lot of that information in a perceptual sense in your normals.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

darkarchon posted:

It is so insane that they are modelling these knick knacks in such high quality, when there is no loving game.

And I don't know why you'd stick your warp and quantum drives together with a clasp, as if they were computer parts on a motherboard. You'd think if they weren't custom parts like nuclear reactors on navel vessels, that they'd at least be firmly bolted down to the ship's frame.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

AP posted:

Help Mark Skelton

$6,520 of $50,000

I see we've escalated from bike accidents.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

AP posted:

Help Mark Skelton

$6,520 of $50,000

I feel sorry for the girl, but this has no place on the SC Reddit/forum.
This is manipulating the playerbase...

FFS, what's happening with the world when you need to start a fundraiser if you get in financial trouble.
Aren't these guys insured?

Maybe as a European i'm just spoiled, but i find it disgusting.
I do hope the girl gets the attention she needs, but there are other ways to finance this.

But then again... this is SC.

loving edit because too drat glorious

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 3, 2016

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

We haven't had a recipe for a while so I'm going to post this as it was so drat tasty. i've been on a quest to make the perfect Shepherd's Pie for years and I think combining the current trend for "pulling" things with some good old fashioned British grub has created the winner.

So, you will need

2 DAYS EFFORT

DAY 1 - slow cook lamb in slow cooker
1 Lamb leg (chop to fit your cooker if needed)
6 carrots halved
3 sticks celery chopped
1 onion quartered
Thyme
Rosemary
Bay leavesx3
Glass red wine
Lamb stock

Chuck all this poo poo in a slow cooker and leave it for 10 hours on low. At the end the lamb will be melting off the bone. Take it out, take the carrots out, throw away everything else - as it will be full of fat and oil. Break up the lamb in the "pulled" style and slice the carrots

DAY 2
Chop some shallots finely and fry off until coloured
Put your pulled lamb and sliced carrots in pot, add fresh lamb stock, glass red wine, gravy browning, big squirt of HP sauce (trust me), big squirt of tomato puree, more sprigs of herbs, the shallots, a shake of Worcester Sauce. Put it all in the oven for an hour on a low heat with a lid to stew
Meanwhile - boil up a big pot of potatoes (you'll need more than you think). After 25 mins they will be falling apart. Drain and leave to steam off for 10 mins. Put in a big pot, add loads of grated cheddar and a big knob of butter, mash to a fine cream.

Take lamb mix from oven - remove any herb stalks, bay leaves etc. spoon mix into a deep lasagne type dish. Get a plastic freezer bag and spoon your mashed potato into it. Then cut off a corner and pipe the mash onto the lamb. Take a fork and scrape the surface of the mash to create ridges.

Put the finished pie into the fridge to relax until you are ready to serve

TO SERVE
Heat oven to 180
Grate Parmesan over the top of the pie
Bake pie for 30 mins
Switch to grill (Broiler for Americans) and brown off top until crispy

Serve with garden peas and minted butter

No idea why that pic is upside down, gently caress it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

FFS, what's happening with the world when you need to start a fundraiser if you get in financial trouble.

I do hope the girl gets the attention she needs, but there are other ways to finance this.

But then again... this is SC.

On the one hand it's hosed up that a guy with a decently paid job has to beg strangers for money because his daughter had an accident

On the other at least that money will be spent on physical therapy rather than jpeg

e: I spoke too soon!

loving edit because too drat glorious

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Berious posted:

On the one hand it's hosed up that a guy with a decently paid job has to beg strangers for money because his daughter had an accident

On the other at least that money will be spent on physical therapy rather than jpeg

e: I spoke too soon!

Maybe Croberts will do a special show, announcing a new one of kind ship called the " Mark skelton endeavor"
You know... to help the girl...

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.

Dusty Lens posted:

That's essentially Pulsar the Lost Colony. I have no idea if it's any good. It looks like an exceedingly rough game in a very early state of goodosity and it's entirely PVE afaik. But it's multiplayer FTL.

I don't know if the concept really holds up as, at the end of the day, it feels like it's very possible that playing Geordi Laforge really doesn't pay the fun bills.

I might be wrong. Though I rather doubt anyone who reads this thread on the regular plays the game with a group of friends and they can verify one way or the other. I would be sincerely interested in that feedback.

I've played Pulsar like.. grand total of once and that was quite a while ago. Game was in very rough stage but with a four man crew over mumble it was surprisingly entertaining. I was the ships engineer so I mainly stared at the power and shield screens when it came to space combat, but I still had a role to do. Not necessarily the most exciting one, but someone had to ensure all systems had power and that the shields would hold and there'd be no generator melting going on.. and charging the warp drives in time if we need emergency exit.

Crew members have some basic combat skills plus unique ones that benefit the ship/crew.

We had some boarding action going on too, enemies ported into our ship and in few matches we sent couple guys over to enemy ships for some internal sabotage because you can destroy systems in the ships as well. Or just kill the crew.

Some planetary explorations were glitchy, like falling through the ground into our deaths, but there were a couple with giant bugs/ants/whatever that came in quite numbers and others were just for exploration and finding loots. Some had hostile environments that required space-suits.

Somehow we managed to put in like 3-5 hours and had fun.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

It possibly has no place there because it's useful and if the idiots are going to get manipulated anyway, it least it's for something positive this time.

:shrug:

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Many people are giving hundreds. One guy gave a grand. All within hours of the request going up. I am sure they will fill up that 50K limit pretty quickly and I am happy the girl gets the treatment she needs.. I have to wonder though if Chris will use this opportunity to completely export the workers' medical insurance over to the backers. Perhaps make it even part of the award winning and best selling crowd funding portal product.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Have you been injured in a non-work related injury? You may be entitled to crowdfunding support!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Don't worry mate, the way things are going we aren't that far behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Wow, the healthcare system in the US is really strange. How do people normally pay for their health issues? I mean, if you don't have a group of whales who you can turn to for help, what do you do?

• Locked thread