Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

cash crab posted:

hair-related videos on Youtube

I am black and I have natural hair, and natural YouTube videos are FILLED with pet peeves of mine, including but not limited to:

-"10-minute hairstyles!" in which either half the video is sped up or 90% of the prep work was done before the video
-"wash-and-go" videos in which there are steps other than washing and going
-way too loud, lovely, original music over overlong hair-washing montages
-hairstyling tutorials that either assume you know WAY too much (i.e., advanced microscopic cornrowing technique) or absolutely nothing
-people who post that their hair is one type but then you click the video and it's a whole other type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Solid Cake posted:

I've seen lots of people post in here about how it bugs them when people stop at a red light and they're over the white line where the crosswalk goes, sometimes almost in the intersection. That annoys me too, but I've been seeing a lot of just the opposite lately and it's even worse. People will pull to a stop at a red light, but they'll be like two car lengths away from the line where you're supposed to stop. Why are they stopping way back there?? It's so infuriating. Like I could see not slowing down quickly enough and accidentally rolling over the line, but you'd have to be very purposefully stopping that soon. Why??

It gives them more time to creeeeeeeep forwards/false start 2 or 3 times when they're absolutely sure it's their turn in the cycle but NOPE. Still red.

The best part about those people is that when the light does finally go green they don't go for a good 3 seconds at least. :downs:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Parents who refuse to believe their darling precious angel is a loving monster. A coworker of mine's son recently brought a knife to school. He was caught and suspended. He's refused to tell anyone why he did it. But this kid is also one who, in the last year, screamed at the principal that he isn't afraid of him, and has been kicked out of several classrooms due to screaming at the teacher. The school wants to expel him. Oh, and can't forget the fucker is 10 and in the third grade still because he flunked a year and is a lot larger than the other kids in his class. Coworker thinks the school has an agenda against him and is furious they won't supply a side bus route to get him to another school if he is expelled.

Lady, your son has been suspended four times in a year or so. Something is wrong and I don't think the principal has a grudge! I think he is trying to prevent a loving shooting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Solid Cake posted:

People will pull to a stop at a red light, but they'll be like two car lengths away from the line where you're supposed to stop. Why are they stopping way back there?? It's so infuriating. Like I could see not slowing down quickly enough and accidentally rolling over the line, but you'd have to be very purposefully stopping that soon. Why??

Is it a left turn lane? There's a couple of busy streets I have to go down every day, and if I don't get the arrow it can be incredibly frustrating. On some turn lanes, you can actually see the part of the lane that will trigger the arrow if you stop on it (it's usually two to three car lengths back). Of course, I only do this if I'm the only one in the lane, and if someone's comes up behind my car, I'll move up.

Also, if it's a turn lane, and there's a turn lane coming from another direction, I'll leave some space. Some of those fuckers cut way too close.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah if it's a turn lame and I see a semi or bus or other large vehicle is coming I'll stop a little father back just to give them the extra room to make their turn. One of the few things that'll get you a courtesy wave these days. :3:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Solid Cake posted:

I've seen lots of people post in here about how it bugs them when people stop at a red light and they're over the white line where the crosswalk goes, sometimes almost in the intersection. That annoys me too, but I've been seeing a lot of just the opposite lately and it's even worse. People will pull to a stop at a red light, but they'll be like two car lengths away from the line where you're supposed to stop. Why are they stopping way back there?? It's so infuriating. Like I could see not slowing down quickly enough and accidentally rolling over the line, but you'd have to be very purposefully stopping that soon. Why??

I used to think that this was some weird depth perception thing or maybe shorter drivers having trouble seeing over the wheel/hood. But nope, I'll go right up to the line, at least a full car length ahead, where I assume they can use their faculties to see that I am not over the line. Knowing this, they should maybe scoot forward a bit to leave room for that guy who (like an idiot) is now parked on the train tracks because he assumed this other dummy was going to pull all the way forward.

The reality, I think, is that they are really just stupid oblivious drivers who don't give a gently caress. And this is one of those bad driving habits that probably doesn't deduct points from their driving test, no matter how many people they doom to be killed by trains and honked at by cross traffic.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Doesn't happen very often, as I'm no jetsetter: hotel bathroom fixtures that don't really make it clear how to turn on the shower. I spent a solid 10 minutes until I realized that I had to pull down on the faucet, from underneath, to get the shower head to pour water.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People posting huge gifs instead of webms. All you have to do is add a v to the end of the URL on Imgur and it's done!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

My dad is an rear end in a top hat driver and a couple pet peeves are:

At a stoplight, he'll slowly inch up on the car in front of him. He practically tailgates so there's not really much room to move into, and he does this even if the car in front isn't moving up itself.

When the light turns green, he lets go of the brake regardless of whether the cars in front of him have actually started driving yet or not. 99% of the time he has to slam on the brakes again to stop his car from rolling into the car in front, especially because of the above meaning there's not really anymore room to keep moving forward.

Like, one day he won't be fast enough and what I don't get is why he doesn't just wait for the people in front to start moving before he does.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Doesn't happen very often, as I'm no jetsetter: hotel bathroom fixtures that don't really make it clear how to turn on the shower. I spent a solid 10 minutes until I realized that I had to pull down on the faucet, from underneath, to get the shower head to pour water.

I do spend a lot of time in hotels and can confirm that every hotel shower somehow manages to work differently from every other shower in existence. On the other hand, residential showers all seem to work in just 2 or 3 ways (unless they're really old).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

And the vast majority of shower heads are mounted at like 5 and a half feet high. Perfect height for washing my shoulders. :argh: I'm probably gonna slip and brain myself trying to do the limbo to wash my hair one of these days.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I've been known to play a bit of poker of a Sunday evening. Few pints, few wee wagers - it's a civilised way to pass time.

Except poker people. gently caress poker people. Poker exists at the intersection of Spergy, Skeezy and Macho, and as such you get a cross sample of the very worst people. Motherfuckers with no hygiene slouching all over everything, getting sauce on the cards. Dudes who wig out when they see a woman and start either turning super chauvinist or crawling up her arse. PRO PLAYAZ who throw childish strops if they lose a hand that They Weren't Supposed To. Big Russian sonsabitches who view every raise as an insult and spend hours staring holes through you on every action. Motherfuckers who can't reign in their ADHD long enough for a hand and hold up action with their compulsive smartphone browsing. Fuckers who are sooooo trying to be blasé that they find basic things like "state actions" or "move chips" to be beneath them. Dudes who be all I WOULD'VE HAD THAT I HAD SEVEN TWO and it's like yeah okay but you weren't in the hand. Nerdy motherfuckers who do that "of course" smirk every time a newbie makes a weird play. Dudes telling you endlessly boring poker stories.

Still fun, though. One time a dude threw a sandwich at me. Good times.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Disgusting Coward posted:

I've been known to play a bit of poker of a Sunday evening. Few pints, few wee wagers - it's a civilised way to pass time.

Except poker people. gently caress poker people. Poker exists at the intersection of Spergy, Skeezy and Macho, and as such you get a cross sample of the very worst people. Motherfuckers with no hygiene slouching all over everything, getting sauce on the cards. Dudes who wig out when they see a woman and start either turning super chauvinist or crawling up her arse. PRO PLAYAZ who throw childish strops if they lose a hand that They Weren't Supposed To. Big Russian sonsabitches who view every raise as an insult and spend hours staring holes through you on every action. Motherfuckers who can't reign in their ADHD long enough for a hand and hold up action with their compulsive smartphone browsing. Fuckers who are sooooo trying to be blasé that they find basic things like "state actions" or "move chips" to be beneath them. Dudes who be all I WOULD'VE HAD THAT I HAD SEVEN TWO and it's like yeah okay but you weren't in the hand. Nerdy motherfuckers who do that "of course" smirk every time a newbie makes a weird play. Dudes telling you endlessly boring poker stories.

Related: People who do that thing with their chip stack (just watch tv poker and it's a constant background noise of clicking chips) constantly just because that's what they do on TV. Basically anyone trying to treat every game like some high-stakes Super Serious match. We all bought in for like 50 bucks, relax and try and actually have fun.

Also people who constantly show their bluffs and laugh at you after you fold to them. Most of the time I didn't have anything either, so of course i'm not going to call your all-in out of nowhere.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Arrath posted:

And the vast majority of shower heads are mounted at like 5 and a half feet high. Perfect height for washing my shoulders. :argh: I'm probably gonna slip and brain myself trying to do the limbo to wash my hair one of these days.

Turn around and lean forward, silly. It doesn't feel great but it's better than a hotel faucet embedding itself into your lower spine when you inevitably slip backwards cause you finally find that tiny loving bar of soap you lost with your left foot and you pull the shower curtain down on top of you when you go down and now you're covered in pain and cold, slippery stranger's grime.

A Motel 6 gave me PTSD.

Bartender Peeve: Stop asking to split the tab AFTER you're done drinking. I want to murder you for it, and that's just not nice.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Mar 3, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gently caress poker people. Poker exists at the intersection of Spergy, Skeezy and Macho, and as such you get a cross sample of the very worst people. Motherfuckers with no hygiene slouching all over everything, getting sauce on the cards. Dudes who wig out when they see a woman and start either turning super chauvinist or crawling up her arse. PRO PLAYAZ who throw childish strops if they lose a hand that They Weren't Supposed To. Big Russian sonsabitches who view every raise as an insult and spend hours staring holes through you on every action. Motherfuckers who can't reign in their ADHD long enough for a hand and hold up action with their compulsive smartphone browsing. Fuckers who are sooooo trying to be blasé that they find basic things like "state actions" or "move chips" to be beneath them. Dudes who be all I WOULD'VE HAD THAT I HAD SEVEN TWO and it's like yeah okay but you weren't in the hand. Nerdy motherfuckers who do that "of course" smirk every time a newbie makes a weird play. Dudes telling you endlessly boring poker stories.

This is pretty much the exact reason I've never been tempted to get back into Magic: the Gathering. I like the game, I know I can have fun without spending ridiculous amounts (as long as I don't care about tournaments), but then I remember that 90% of the people who play are just awful.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

I've only played poker a handful of times, and generally with an easygoing group of good friends, but holy poo poo this is the most accurate thing I've seen in a long time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dudes who be all I WOULD'VE HAD THAT I HAD SEVEN TWO and it's like yeah okay but you weren't in the hand.

Oh my god, the postgame analysis fuckers are the worst

"Everyone stop talking and listen to what I would've done and how I totally would've won"

:argh:

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Oh my god, the postgame analysis fuckers are the worst

"Everyone stop talking and listen to what I would've done and how I totally would've won"

:argh:

Or when a close hand goes against them and then they start interrogating whoever took it.

"Would you have folded if I'd bet 2000? How about if I'd checked and bet the river? How about if I'd stared at you a long time? Would you have bet if I'd checked the flop? Did you put me on kings?" et cetera et cetera et cetera forever and ever and ever as if the person they're asking has some sacred duty to assuage their bruised ego.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I love the dudes in low stakes friendly poker games that get super mad if you win a hand you weren't "supposed" to be in. Sorry I got tired of folding hands and stayed in with something borderline on this 5 dollar buy in game between friends, mang.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The general domination of hobbies by angry white guys is my pet peeve.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Same. Nerdy hobbies are the worst for it in my experience. It's bad enough that I refuse to play games online anymore.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sociopastry posted:

Same. Nerdy hobbies are the worst for it in my experience. It's bad enough that I refuse to play games online anymore.

I find Dota 2 really fun, except for the part where any game involves getting yelled at by angry children in a variety of languages for an hour.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I'll never understand raging at a video game, I used to play deathmatch and RPGs online with friends and we always had a blast, we'd taunt each other in fun and knew it was never serious. I've seen and heard so many kids and adults go batshit insane in online games that I don't even bother. Sure it's fun to troll people on occasion but hearing an endless torrent of screaming, crying, and swearing doesn't make anything enjoyable.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Designers that think less UI = better UI. No, sorry guys, I don't care if it looks more streamlined or whatever, making it harder to see/use poo poo I really need is bad design.

Loooooootta bad design going on these days.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Ozz81 posted:

I'll never understand raging at a video game, I used to play deathmatch and RPGs online with friends and we always had a blast, we'd taunt each other in fun and knew it was never serious. I've seen and heard so many kids and adults go batshit insane in online games that I don't even bother. Sure it's fun to troll people on occasion but hearing an endless torrent of screaming, crying, and swearing doesn't make anything enjoyable.

I hate it when people get frothingly angry at games. Seriously, it's a game. The purpose of a game is to be fun. If it's not fun anymore (which, if you're screaming and cursing at an inanimate object because you lost, it obviously isn't), why the gently caress are you still playing!?

Don't get me wrong, I get frustrated at games too. The difference is that when it gets too frustrating and stops being fun, I stop playing. Then I do something else, cool off, and usually come back and start winning again because I'm not furiously mashing buttons and making stupid mistakes due to anger. But I rarely get to that point in the first place because, again, IT'S A loving GAME.

I just don't get why people put themselves through that poo poo. No one's forcing you to keep playing until you have a rage-fueled aneurysm. You don't have to do that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Parasol Prophet posted:

I hate it when people get frothingly angry at games. Seriously, it's a game. The purpose of a game is to be fun. If it's not fun anymore (which, if you're screaming and cursing at an inanimate object because you lost, it obviously isn't), why the gently caress are you still playing!?

Don't get me wrong, I get frustrated at games too. The difference is that when it gets too frustrating and stops being fun, I stop playing. Then I do something else, cool off, and usually come back and start winning again because I'm not furiously mashing buttons and making stupid mistakes due to anger. But I rarely get to that point in the first place because, again, IT'S A loving GAME.

I just don't get why people put themselves through that poo poo. No one's forcing you to keep playing until you have a rage-fueled aneurysm. You don't have to do that.

People who take video games way too seriously are my pet peeve. Any accomplishment one's made in the game is meaningless, stop acting like it's some great achievement.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Cleretic posted:

I find Dota 2 really fun, except for the part where any game involves getting yelled at by angry children in a variety of languages for an hour.

I don't find Dota 2 really fun anymore, largely for that reason.

The thing with those kind of games, and why people get so loving mad at them, is if you're losing, you get to sit there and watch yourself lose harder and harder for 20-30 minutes. Even if you turn the game around and win, it still doesn't make up for having to spend that amount of time watching Peruvian/Russian/Pinoy teenagers fulfill their god complexes on your team while you have to actively participate, or you get the Low Priority treatment. For anyone who doesn't know, if you sit afk for too long or abandon a match, you get put in LP. If the normal game is like real life, LP is prison. And the normal game already feels like prison. LP is solitary confinement. Anyway, instead of trying to redesign the game to be more fun when you're losing (i.e. more fun than 16 hours straight of fast food work), the devs decided to just put anyone who does the sane thing and waits out the match into a little cave with a bunch of even angrier nutjobs.

Doesn't help that they hosed the game's balance so that any player death results in enormous amounts of gold for the other team, so at any moment the whole match can just collapse on your face if your team has less late game than their does. Which sucks, because late game heroes aren't actually fun to play until late game, i.e. 40-50 minutes in, but they're the ones all worst people pick because of the aforementioned god complexes. Combine all this with a community with an extremely sensitive ego and you get an enormous shitshow.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I did it to fill a void in my life. I felt incompetent at everything and I wanted to get good at competitive video games to make myself feel liked or loved. It made me angry when I couldn't win just by being better than my opponents because sadly the game has a ton of RNG, RPG mechanics, and other weird nonsense unlike fighting games and shooters and the like. Then I kind of had an epiphany and realized that if I'm gonna get into shouting matches with my friends over a video game and end up losing said friends, maybe the game's not worth playing. I switched to Awesomenauts to fill the MOBA void, but those games last like 15 minutes. You still get assholes every once in a while, but they aren't the norm like in League or Dota. And it's way harder to take seriously when you're a walking Gears of War satire with nothing but an American Flag thong on.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

To post an actual pet peeve, sanctimony aka being "holier than thou". People acting like they're hot poo poo when they aren't, and talking down to you for it. Honestly that's part of why Dota pissed me off so much. It didn't matter if I did the research, wasting years of my life learning the ins and outs of the game, if you said anything remotely negative about the game's almighty balance they just assumed you were a whiny noob. Doesn't help that the game is literally (and I mean that) balanced off of Reddit's demands.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Parasol Prophet posted:

I love games, and I am also very bad at them. Therefore, I usually play on easy. My peeve is sanctimonious idiots telling me I am playing wrong or I am not "really" playing the game by playing on an easier setting. I play games to have a good time, and that is my definition of a good time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cash crab posted:

I love games, and I am also very bad at them. Therefore, I usually play on easy. My peeve is sanctimonious idiots telling me I am playing wrong or I am not "really" playing the game by playing on an easier setting. I play games to have a good time, and that is my definition of a good time.

I son't know if it's actually changed or if I've just stopped listening to the sort of people who insist that playing on hard is the only way, but I haven't noticed nearly as much of this recently.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Tiggum posted:

I son't know if it's actually changed or if I've just stopped listening to the sort of people who insist that playing on hard is the only way, but I haven't noticed nearly as much of this recently.

Well, for better or for worse, video games' audience has expanded drastically. I'd say mostly for better, but there are some downsides as well.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The real "game" of Dota is the cash shop anyways.

The only way I've ever enjoyed a game of Dota or any MOBA is when I have a premade team or I'm playing against AI or turning the chat off.

I'm waiting for someone to make a game where it just simulates trashtalking and everyone you face is just an AI pretending to be human. Let me introduce you to the cash shop after that wonderful game...

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I just ordered my drink at Starbucks. Even though there were 10 people in front of me, I'm going to stand directly in front of the pick-up area. Every time a drink comes up I will grab it, look at it and go, huh, I thought I was next. Why are all these people pushing past me?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I can't remember if I posted this before, but I don't think so because I haven't been single in a long time. I joined Match not long ago and for the most part I'm not really finding anyone interesting. I prefer to meet people in real life anyway, but it's a nice distraction every so often. Anyway, I don't have a lot of demands--I have a preferred age range, no kids, no smoking. Nothing too unreasonable, right? Just personal preferences.

But many guys that message me have this passive-aggressive "well I have kids so I guess that means I'm not good enough for you, right?" thing going on, and it's irritating. What is the point of this? Am I supposed to see his picture and go "OH MY GOD HE'S THE LOVE OF MY LIFE I DON'T CARE THAT HE'S TOO OLD FOR ME/HAS KIDS/CHAIN SMOKES." Do people really think that "calling me out" like this is going to make me change my mind? No, it just makes you look like a whiny little rear end in a top hat who wants a toy he can't have. Move on, buddy--there are plenty of women who will date a man 15 years older, or a guy with kids. I'm not one of them. Plenty of fish in the sea, etc. etc., no reason to berate a particular woman for having preferences.

Do men find this happening to them on dating websites, too?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Maggie Fletcher posted:

But many guys that message me have this passive-aggressive...

Whiny manchildren like that see "no kids" as you turning them down "before you gave them a chance."

Which is profoundly stupid because by saying poo poo like "not good enough for you huh," they're effectively slamming the door shut on themselves--you might've considered giving them the time of day if they'd said something like "Hey, our interests match up pretty well, but I have a 17-year-old son. I'd like to take you to dinner if that's cool with you because you seem awesome, but I understand if my having a kid is a dealbreaker."

But, instead, they go all sour grapes, kind of like fuckers at the bar who try to buy a girl a drink and go apeshit when they get gently denied.

"gently caress YOU YOU UGLY SKANK I DIDN'T WANT TO BUY YOU A DRINK ANYWAY"

Good show, chief. Exactly what women are looking for in a partner.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I can't remember if I posted this before, but I don't think so because I haven't been single in a long time. I joined Match not long ago and for the most part I'm not really finding anyone interesting. I prefer to meet people in real life anyway, but it's a nice distraction every so often. Anyway, I don't have a lot of demands--I have a preferred age range, no kids, no smoking. Nothing too unreasonable, right? Just personal preferences.

But many guys that message me have this passive-aggressive "well I have kids so I guess that means I'm not good enough for you, right?" thing going on, and it's irritating. What is the point of this? Am I supposed to see his picture and go "OH MY GOD HE'S THE LOVE OF MY LIFE I DON'T CARE THAT HE'S TOO OLD FOR ME/HAS KIDS/CHAIN SMOKES." Do people really think that "calling me out" like this is going to make me change my mind? No, it just makes you look like a whiny little rear end in a top hat who wants a toy he can't have. Move on, buddy--there are plenty of women who will date a man 15 years older, or a guy with kids. I'm not one of them. Plenty of fish in the sea, etc. etc., no reason to berate a particular woman for having preferences.

Do men find this happening to them on dating websites, too?

I can't really offer any advice from a man's perspective, but this happened to me a lot, as well back in the day. My favourite was the old, "I realize that I am old enough to be your father HOWEVER [obvious offer to exchange sex for money] ;) Let me know". Other peeves from my online dating days:

1) Couples who relentlessly try to get you to gently caress both of them. I don't think the practice itself is weird or wrong, but I kind of resented being treated like someone's marital aid.

2) "Helpful" suggestions about my appearance, usually something like, I have too many piercings, or I should grow out my hair, or whatever. If you don't find me attractive, that's fine! Not everyone has taste but you don't need to send me a message like, "You're very pretty except" because it just makes me think you're sort of controlling and mean.

3) In regards to having preferences on your profile, mine literally had my orientation listed as "gay" and some men still messaged me asking if I would change my mind.

4) I don't know if this is common, but people I knew IRL would message me sometimes and it was so, so loving uncomfortable because it was never like, "Oh, you're Tanya's friend! Nice to see you!" it was always, "I remember you! I always wanted to [extremely graphic sex act] you. :)" The worst one was my old boss. :gonk:

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

SLOSifl posted:

I just ordered my drink at Starbucks. Even though there were 10 people in front of me, I'm going to stand directly in front of the pick-up area. Every time a drink comes up I will grab it, look at it and go, huh, I thought I was next. Why are all these people pushing past me?

I love when people grab the cup and yell at the barista,
:byodood: IS THIS MINE?!
:colbert: Like I said, that's a large latte for Jill.
:byodood: THAT'S NOT WHAT I ORDERED
:colbert: Are you Jill?
:byodood: NO, I'M ALBERT!
:colbert: ..........
:byodood: IS IT MINE?
:colbert: .............no.

I have seen people pick up the completely wrong drink and walk away with it. I have seen people pick up the wrong drink, take a big gulp, realize it's the wrong one and PUT IT BACK without saying anything. I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with people.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

cash crab posted:

I can't really offer any advice from a man's perspective, but this happened to me a lot, as well back in the day. My favourite was the old, "I realize that I am old enough to be your father HOWEVER [obvious offer to exchange sex for money] ;) Let me know". Other peeves from my online dating days:

I had a 47-year old with 2 kids who was "technically still married" message me on OkCupid once. My age preferences were listed as 20-30 at the time. :pwn:

quote:

1) Couples who relentlessly try to get you to gently caress both of them. I don't think the practice itself is weird or wrong, but I kind of resented being treated like someone's marital aid.

The weirdest thing about when this happened to me is that I listed myself as straight, and the people who messaged me always only included the woman in their profile pics. Not very enticing.

quote:

2) "Helpful" suggestions about my appearance, usually something like, I have too many piercings, or I should grow out my hair, or whatever. If you don't find me attractive, that's fine! Not everyone has taste but you don't need to send me a message like, "You're very pretty except" because it just makes me think you're sort of controlling and mean.

I sometimes got this on my appearance, but I mostly got it on my actual profile. Stuff like "You shouldn't mention video games, it makes you sound like a nerd." Uh, okay?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

YeahTubaMike posted:

I sometimes got this on my appearance, but I mostly got it on my actual profile. Stuff like "You shouldn't mention video games, it makes you sound like a nerd." Uh, okay?

"Look, lady. If there's one thing men hate, it's women with interests. Pump the breaks, you dweeb."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Re: online dating peeves, I've already touched on most of mine early in this thread I think, but I really hate the practice of using a picture of you and your friend(s) as your main photo. Especially when a woman uses a photo with someone who's clearly more eye-catching to draw people in. It's even worse when they use exclusively group photos and you have to figure out who the common denominator in each picture is. I get it, you have a social life, which is good. But I would also like to know what you look like more than what your friends (or family! Don't put your grandma in your Tinder pictures!) look like.