Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Interesting. I can buy into the idea that Geralt is superhumanly fast and accept his acrobatic combat style as a concession of the setting. I don't meant to be a pedant and dismiss something because it wouldn't work in the "real world".

Also I don't imagine there's much precedent for a dude with a broadsword going to town against a half-dozen humanoid but unarmed fish-monsters. I'd imagine the acrobatics wouldn't be a particular weak point against beasts.

It would have been pretty cool if Geralt had an expanded arsenal beyond just steel or silver swords, though. Spears, nets, bows, and other nifty contraptions seems like they'd have plenty of places for use when you're hunting beasts as wildly different as nekkers compared to griffons or wyverns. Granted, that would change the fundamental aspects of the combat gameplay, so it's just wishful thinking, but still! It would have been cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

The music in this game is excellent but my favourite fight music is in Velen. Those sinister polish folk songs with the scary sounding women. Not just song of the sword dancer ( https://youtu.be/mUCgYaUGdNA ) but all of them

The use of "period correct" instruments is the key I think. Things like the fiddle, flute, bodhran etc I read an interview where it was stated that some of the instruments are very slightly out of tune to give it that primitive and sinister feel.

I appreciate that frthe most part CDPR avoided going down the generic epic orchestral route (which can be cool also).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
An Anne of Green Gables reference? Gihlbert Blith.

Also, that region north of Novigrad is really cool. Was worried I wouldn't get to fight one of those Arachas bastards in this game but I was wrong!

Also also, I was perusing Novigrad and went snooping around Triss's house, realizing that I had never gone inside when I first showed up in town. She still had that Rose of Remembrance. And now I've got a ton of those magic statues cluttering my inventory, but she's gone, drat it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 2, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Arcsquad12 posted:

An Anne of Green Gables reference? Gihlbert Blith.

Also, that region north of Novigrad is really cool. Was worried I wouldn't get to fight one of those Arachas bastards in this game but I was wrong!

Also also, I was perusing Novigrad and went snooping around Triss's house, realizing that I had never gone inside when I first showed up in town. She still had that Rose of Remembrance. And now I've got a ton of those magic statues cluttering my inventory, but she's gone, drat it.

Pretty sure you can see Yen about the statues, or wait for Triss to come back into the story. Don't worry too much about it anyway, they're very short quests and you won't miss out on much if you miss them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, you meet Triss again but the statue quests bugged out for me at that point so ymmv.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

It seems easy to accidentally bug quests. I finished with 3 failed quests, all due to bugs. The statue one is particularly annoying because I got the yellow quest dialogue for it, but she just ignored it and I was ejected from the conversation.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Palpek posted:

Well, in fact Poland does have a history with Mongolian Empire. It's also a pretty important part of Polish history that had a big influence on traditional Polish food and culture to the point of Middle-Eastern clothing being incorporated into traditional Polish aristocratic outfits.

JaucheCharly posted:

What you mean with middle eastern clothing and weaponry has nothing to do with the Mongol invasions up to the 13th century, but with the contact and conflict with the Ottoman Empire and it's vassals up to the early 18th century.

Cool! At the risk of this turning into the Polish History thread do you have know of any of the influences you can still see in the food today?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah finally, the King is dead. Good riddance. Anyone who is that buddy with the Witch Hunters doesn't deserve to have any power.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

The camera moved just as I hit the screenshot key so there's that chunk of tower to the right kinda loving up the frame but that's just me being a dork :haw:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

twistedmentat posted:

Derp, yep, that's what I meant. I'm curious where it's going to take place. There's a lot of empty space on both major maps, like entire Islands in Skellige that have nothing on them.

New map, new city.

Some screenshots:
http://gamerant.com/witcher-3-dlc-blood-wine-image/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Are you allowed to say when the DLC takes place yet?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, those Skellige islands will get filled with content for the Enhanced Edition, right? :devil:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Megazver posted:

Are you allowed to say when the DLC takes place yet?

Like, chronologically or release date?

Either way, no.

EDIT: I'm not marketing, so all I can say is that I'm working on it and so far I think it's looking really good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I was thinking chronologically, but eh, fine. I was just curious whether Fringilla Vigo will be in it, since that would probably depend on when the DLC takes place.

I suppose we'll find out sooner or later. :D

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
You don't think it will be another area to 'unlock' like Skellige? That's what I was kind of expecting.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Cool! At the risk of this turning into the Polish History thread do you have know of any of the influences you can still see in the food today?
Well, originally the influence could be seen in the amount of spices used. In medieval times Polish cuisine used a lot of pepper and nutmeg - way more than other European countries because of good contacts with Oriental merchants - prices of those spices were considerably lower for Polish people than for the rest of Europe. Oriental spices were also used for meat conservation during the winter.

Interestingly food was also taken over in the form of spoils of war - Polish people would eat food left by the fleeing enemy and having developed a taste for it - they'd try recreating the dishes in later times of peace. The use of raisins, meat preparation like drying, marinating, smoking, preparation of sweets and preserves, oversea fish dishes - all have been influenced by the Ottoman Empire, Tatars or merchants.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Twobirds posted:

You don't think it will be another area to 'unlock' like Skellige? That's what I was kind of expecting.

It's been confirmed to be in a new area.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:flashfap:

cannot loving wait

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Palpek posted:

Well, originally the influence could be seen in the amount of spices used. In medieval times Polish cuisine used a lot of pepper and nutmeg - way more than other European countries because of good contacts with Oriental merchants - prices of those spices were considerably lower for Polish people than for the rest of Europe. Oriental spices were also used for meat conservation during the winter.

Interestingly food was also taken over in the form of spoils of war - Polish people would eat food left by the fleeing enemy and having developed a taste for it - they'd try recreating the dishes in later times of peace. The use of raisins, meat preparation like drying, marinating, smoking, preparation of sweets and preserves, oversea fish dishes - all have been influenced by the Ottoman Empire, Tatars or merchants.

Hence the need for enterprising merchants such as Emhyr var Emreis. A trader. In spices. :hellyeah:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ah that looks amazing. I wonder if any characters like Shani will be making an appearance.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Between this, the Division and Dark Souls 3 I think I'm pretty much set for entertainment for the next few months.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Question to anyone who's cleared out the Skellige smuggler's caches. Were there any alchemy recipes in them?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Goddamn, that Caretaker fight. Aside from a few times when I'd been up to my rear end in armored soldiers/archers, I think that was the toughest fight I've had in the game. It was never too hard to take chunks of his health off, but when he spawns all the ghosts to he can re-murder them for health, I always found myself stuck between him and them. He would wallop me for three hits while I tried to keep him away from the ghosts, and would be back at full or nearly full hp. Eventually I had to break out an Ekhidna decoction just so I could outlast the fucker. Also, using the minimap to hunt down as many ghosts as possible while staying away from him is a pretty good idea. He's definitely going to get one or two, but you can slaughter most of them before he gets the chance to. Other than that, just spammed Quen / Whirl whenever he would do that AOE and eventually whittled him down. If I'd known he was a relict beforehand, I'd have oiled up too.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Konsek posted:

Question to anyone who's cleared out the Skellige smuggler's caches. Were there any alchemy recipes in them?

No

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

I've got 3 or 4 superior blade oil formulas to find and still got a fuckton of those to cross off the list as well :(

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Are any of the Runewords or Glyphwords worth getting over just throwing on runes/glyphs? They all seem a little underwhelming, although the idea of turning my Ursine armor light and putting on the Cat School skill is kind of appealing.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shannow posted:

I've got 3 or 4 superior blade oil formulas to find and still got a fuckton of those to cross off the list as well :(

I'd just assume those are gonna be with the DLC. I got some of the blade oils and whatever I was missing looting stuff in Hearts of Stone.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

qbert posted:

Are any of the Runewords or Glyphwords worth getting over just throwing on runes/glyphs? They all seem a little underwhelming, although the idea of turning my Ursine armor light and putting on the Cat School skill is kind of appealing.

Depends what you want to do - Severance is fantastic for groups and being able to smack a dude in half with Rend from a distance, which I find preferable to any of the rune upgrades.

As for the armor upgrades, I put deflection (deflects all arrows) onto my Ursine, so I'll have a failsafe option for when I get jumped by 6-7 fallen knights. Ever since they buffed arrow damage they've become a lot more dangerous. But usually I run Cat Armor with Ignition, which sets more dudes on fire if a dude nearby them is on fire. It's fan-loving tastic for Igni builds, much better that eruption. Most of the other upgrades seem rather middling, but could be useful for particular builds.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

McKilligan posted:

Goddamn, that Caretaker fight.

I was wondering how that played out with other builds. I have a light attack crit build and just out damaged his healing, by a lot. A shame his weapon not only doesn't heal for much, but gets replaced if you do the good ending for HoS

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Nasgate posted:

I was wondering how that played out with other builds. I have a light attack crit build and just out damaged his healing, by a lot. A shame his weapon not only doesn't heal for much, but gets replaced if you do the good ending for HoS

Actually, my build is light armor fast-attack dependent too (forget what sword I've got at the moment). The fight took me so long because he has so few openings to use whirl, and any time he hits you he negates about 1-2 of your hits. I'd get greedy and go in for a third strike and get walloped, and he'd be back where we started. Once I got a little more patient he wasn't so difficult.

Question about decoctions - when you use one, does it consume another monster-specific mutagen to replace it, or is it part of the alcohest/dwarven spirit potion regeneration?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm near the end but I'm still impressed by how good the game looks. but Ciri's hair clipping through her hood is kind of embarrassingly bad.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

McKilligan posted:

Actually, my build is light armor fast-attack dependent too (forget what sword I've got at the moment). The fight took me so long because he has so few openings to use whirl, and any time he hits you he negates about 1-2 of your hits. I'd get greedy and go in for a third strike and get walloped, and he'd be back where we started. Once I got a little more patient he wasn't so difficult.

Question about decoctions - when you use one, does it consume another monster-specific mutagen to replace it, or is it part of the alcohest/dwarven spirit potion regeneration?

It's part of the strong alcohol regeneration. I recomend the increased crit(katakan?) all the time, and werewolf if you're doing hidden treasures or exploring ?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Palpek posted:

Cool, thanks for that. I have to say when I was in Poland the food was unexpectedly amazing, I was (unfairly) assuming it was gonna be like... potato + meat

Nasgate posted:

It's part of the strong alcohol regeneration. I recomend the increased crit(katakan?) all the time, and werewolf if you're doing hidden treasures or exploring ?

Werewolf seems pointless when you have a Horse

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As soon as started the through time and space quest, O'Dimm's brand came back. Weird.

Oh the untranslated patterns. I assumed those would be done while doing the expansion content, but no, they're still a mystery.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 3, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Cool, thanks for that. I have to say when I was in Poland the food was unexpectedly amazing, I was (unfairly) assuming it was gonna be like... potato + meat

Werewolf seems pointless when you have a Horse

I like to fight, so getting on and off all the time is tedious. So is finding a boat in Skellige, so i just swim at mach speed all the time thanks to that unfortunate werewolf.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
I've (finally) finished Witcher 2, and I'm just about ready to start on Wild Hunt. However, I'm not sure I'm exactly happy with my endgame state. I usually play RPGs mostly for the story, trying to achieve that balance between what the game allows you to do and what ~*my character*~ would do. In this case, Geralt.

I've been trying to avoid spoilers regarding Wild Hunt, but it's been a hard path, brothers. From the little I know, however, it seems to me that, no matter the variety of endings you can get in the second game, the devs had to - understandably - choose a sort-of-canon ending, while all other variations are jury-rigged to fit the later gamestate.

Speaking plainly, it seems to me the third game is tailored for the following choices: Roche's Path, Kill Henselt, Save Anaïs and give her to Radovid. These are the choices that most logically seem to lead to the world Witcher 3 gives us.

What I'm asking is: is this true? If you don't, for instance, kill Henselt, you later find out that "oh, he dies anyway, sry". Do these kinds of alterations seem tacked on? Or are they done seamlessly?

Also, witch hunters. They seem like a big deal in the third game. But in the ending of the second one, they only seem to show up if the Council/Conclave are not established. Do they show up in Wild Hunt in a logical manner, or does it seem like another thing that's tacked on?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It works differently than you how think. Yeah, there is an estabilished canon but that's because something much bigger happens at the beginning of Witcher 3 that invalidates every poltical choice made before it. It basically doesn't matter which king won and how because a gigantic war starts that swoops all of them and those political games and battles before it turn out to be small peanuts in the long run and pale in comparison. So nothing really feels tacked on because a new world order is estabilished. That world order is properly built and argumented. It's even somehow fitting for the setting because it turns out that the most intricate plans and choices can prove futile and get crushed under the merciless wheel of history.

Still some of the personal choices in Witcher 2 are unfortunatelly ignored (Iorveth's path and all its characters) so sometimes you won't even get a 'he died lol' message - just silence. While the Roche path from W2 continue to have consequences.

Also overall it's advisable not to import a Witcher 2 save into Witcher 3 unless you didn't kill certain characters (Letho, Sile) because all you will achieve by having killed them is lose content in Witcher 3. It's better to simulate a save where you will get to answer some questions about your W2 choices and make sure that every time you're asked if somebody died your answer is no.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 3, 2016

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
The most important choice is carried over: the sweet blue stripes neck tat.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Palpek posted:

Good advice.

Thanks, this is what I kinda needed to hear to move forward. I also try to keep everyone alive if I can - I don't see Geralt as the kind that sheds unnecessary blood. Kinda hard to justify regarding Sile, but doable.

Savy Saracen salad posted:

The most important choice is carried over: the sweet blue stripes neck tat.

This however, was not - now I'm feeling like restarting over from Chapter I. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, the tattoo is one of the very few things that can only appear if you import a proper Witcher 2 save. You can't get it otherwise and it would have made my playthrough more rad if I knew about it before playing.