Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
So I see the Libs have hosed up their latest brainfarted scare against the ALP negative gearing policy, claiming business investment will dive.

This argument is idiotic because businesses generally don't get the CGT discount to make up for it. For business, "negative gearing" actually means "making a loving loss."

Try again Malcolm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Unless you eat some really potent cookies you are probably A-OK to drive after 4-5 hours.

at 12 hours they are still just using RDTs to catch people doing drugs rather than people actually stoned.

I smoke heaps of weed and I just sit at home and listen to music until bed time. Never would I get behind the wheel. I even feel sketchy driving after a big dinner and a single beer.

gently caress these laws.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Laserface posted:

Unless you eat some really potent cookies you are probably A-OK to drive after 4-5 hours.

at 12 hours they are still just using RDTs to catch people doing drugs rather than people actually stoned.

I smoke heaps of weed and I just sit at home and listen to music until bed time. Never would I get behind the wheel. I even feel sketchy driving after a big dinner and a single beer.

gently caress these laws.

Good to know we can base laws affcting every druggo in the country on your single annecdote

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

More on Joe Bollocks:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/31004542/wa-senator-joe-bollock-sticks-to-his-guns/

The West Australian posted:

In mid-2004, WA Labor held a two-day $1600-a-head forum with business leaders in Perth at which attendees got the chance to mix with Gallop Government ministers and hear from union leaders about the relationship between the party’s parliamentary and organisational wings.

One of the union leaders who spoke at the forum was Shop Distributive and Allied Employees Association secretary and right-wing power broker Joe Bullock.

His remarks took the assembled businesspeople a little by surprise, first because of his staunch defence of capitalism, which he argued was the best way to grow the pie for workers to share in, but more because of what came next.

As The West Australian reported: “Sodomites,” he said, “were evil and would burn in hell.”

That was only three years after Labor attorney-general Jim McGinty made the passage of sweeping laws to remove discrimination against gays and lesbians one of the Gallop Government’s earliest priorities.

Joe Bullock once quit the Anglican church in Perth after Dean John Shepherd suggested the resurrection story should not be taken literally.

“I couldn’t be a part of that because I don’t believe that the resurrection’s a story, ” Bullock told The West in a 2009 profile. “I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God who came to earth and laid down his life to save us. So I can’t be an Anglican here.”

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
What the gently caress is someone like that doing in the Labor party in Australia? Sounds like he'd be right at home at some Ted Cruz rally.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

What the gently caress is someone like that doing in the Labor party in Australia? Sounds like he'd be right at home at some Ted Cruz rally.

In a word: power.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Laserface posted:

Yes but the objective of these laws is to persecute people for having a minority plant preference.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'll be honest I'd never even heard the narrative that it was only people at the top that knew about the holocaust. So take that as a sample of 1 I guess?

To be honest I only said that the Germans tried to change the narrative because of The Reader, although I think those trials were a real thing.

In a lot of reading I have actually been unable to figure out whether a) the German populace knew about the killings, and b) the Allies knew about the killings. I even read George Orwell's articles and diaries all the way through the 1940s and never got to some revelatory moment where the free world suddenly knew all about the Holocaust.

But obviously everybody knew Jews were being stripped of their assets and imprisoned, which is bad enough. And I can't see how, with tens of thousands of people involved in the killing process, word couldn't have leaked out. Unless that's a mistake I make from a modern and free vantage point; maybe a fascist society in the 1940s was inherently more hush hush.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Shoppies...You'll never hope to comprehend them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

To be honest I only said that the Germans tried to change the narrative because of The Reader, although I think those trials were a real thing.

In a lot of reading I have actually been unable to figure out whether a) the German populace knew about the killings, and b) the Allies knew about the killings. I even read George Orwell's articles and diaries all the way through the 1940s and never got to some revelatory moment where the free world suddenly knew all about the Holocaust.

But obviously everybody knew Jews were being stripped of their assets and imprisoned, which is bad enough. And I can't see how, with tens of thousands of people involved in the killing process, word couldn't have leaked out. Unless that's a mistake I make from a modern and free vantage point; maybe a fascist society in the 1940s was inherently more hush hush.

Inside Germany it was pretty obvious. The Germany government did not try to hide it at all really. The pure scale of the killings its quite likely that a lot of people may of been unaware just because there's no reason the average person would have know all the numbers of people murdered in and outside the death camps, as, as far as I know those details were not publicly released, but the fact that the government was actively murdering many people that it considered undesirable? Unless someone really had their head in the sand then they would of known they would of been well aware of that.

Outside Germany less so. Germany wasn't the only country going fascist at the time. Italy was fascist and Spain Republic was being overthrown by fascist rebels, rebels who incidentally were receiving quite a lot of positive propaganda from mainstream right leaning media and much of the catholic church. There were a lot of people in other countries who were sympathetic towards these regimes --naturally less so openly when war began- and who would would call negative press about them just propaganda by leftest/communist. Always need to remember before world war two fascism didn't carry nearly the negative connotations that it does today in the west. Also there was a lot of actually propaganda going about on both sides and travel and communication by distance was a lot harder. So even though there was stories about the atrocities happening to the Jewish people, and other persecuted groups, without first hand information its a lot easy to see why people may not of been that aware of what was going on, and particularly how bad it really was. Hell even many of those outside Germany that did have some idea of what was going on rarely new the full extent.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I think the DLP forgot to send him the memo.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

I think the DLP forgot to send him the memo.

Someone warned him about splits

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Breaking news: Someone other then TISM going to Eurovision this year to represent Australia. Again, :(

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Whoever goes should bring TISM as their backing band.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Daniel Heilpern is an infamous lower l liberal justice, he's published a book on prisoners rights/sexual assault in the prison system, as well as being the magistrate that ruled telling a police officer to gently caress off is not a crime. I met him about a decade ago, nice guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Heilpern

Lid fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 3, 2016

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

KingEup posted:

Yes but the objective of these laws is to persecute people for having a minority plant preference.
Much as I hate the thought of defending Laserface, but that was what they said. That the drug is no longer affecting you after 4-5 hours or so, but will show up in tests for much longer.

Also, because people have been complaining, both in the thread and privately to me that I haven't been posting pictures of kittens:

There. Kittens.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Good to know we can base laws affcting every druggo in the country on your single annecdote

My point was, you obtuse fuckhead, most people getting charged with this poo poo arent actually doing the wrong thing as pointed out in the article.

the method of testing is not adequate to differentiate between someone who had a cone the night before and someone who had a cone in the driveway and the cops realise and ignore that if it pumps their stats on how many 'drugged drivers' they catch.

Pretty hosed up that you can have a joint friday night, not drive all weekend, and get booked Monday on the way to work while fresh as a daisy.

Flying-Jigs
Apr 1, 2005

its a cookie

Laserface posted:

the method of testing is not adequate to differentiate between someone who had a cone the night before and someone who had a cone in the driveway and the cops realise and ignore that if it pumps their stats on how many 'drugged drivers' they catch.

This is absolutely correct, toxicological interpretation of impairment based on the level of THC in someone's system is nigh on impossible and basically meaningless. It depends on so many factors, such as whether the person is a habitual or casual user, the length of the session they were smoking for, how many doses they used and the potency of the cannabis, as well as time since last consumption and their adiposity. It's great to hear the magistrate in the article calling out the law for it's lack of scientific basis.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Back when drug testing drivers hadn't been implemented yet and various methods were being compared, using simple physical impairment tests was put forward.

But then they realised it would knock out a huge chunk of elderly drivers and be political suicide. Because it's okay to be unsafe on the roads as long as you form a large enough voting block.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

freebooter posted:

The Allied governments certainly knew. Churchill knew as early as 1941 from ULTRA decrypts of the Sonderkommando radio messages, and alluded to it in a speech which was pretty stupid of him. Later on, the US even had aerial reconnaissance of Auschwitz but refused to make it a target. The prevailing attitude was that of win the war first, save the Jews second. The average person not engaged in the fight would have no idea of this but it seems clear from many autobiographies that I've read that everyone with ULTRA clearance knew, that's thousands of people. But of course they kept the secret.

The German side is much less defensible. People were literally taking pictures of murder and sending them home. I'm talking ordinary policemen signed up for mass slaughter which continued on despite the invention of the industrial murder centres. "Having a great time killing Jews, wish you were here love Heinrich" postcards. People knew the Jews had "gone to the East" and suspected the result. What makes all this worse is that whatever you argue people knew or didn't know at the time, there's no doubt people knew there were a great many murderers in their midst after the war, and yet could not bring themselves as a nation to purge them. More than 90% of the SS at Auschwitz alone were never prosecuted.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://andrewelder.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/quality-control.html

Andrew Elder with a very good piece on how hosed the LNP is right now and how they need to crush Abbott for the Defense leak. Phone posting so no quote, but read this.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

SadisTech posted:

http://andrewelder.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/quality-control.html

Andrew Elder with a very good piece on how hosed the LNP is right now and how they need to crush Abbott for the Defense leak. Phone posting so no quote, but read this.

Waleed Aly also has a piece about the alliance of values conservatives and economic liberals finally fracturing.

quote:

Just as well Malcolm Turnbull is such a fan of disruption. Right now, he's in a world of it. This is the week Tony Abbott's wrecking, undermining and sniping campaign went nuclear, or at least marine. His incredulous intervention on the Turnbull government's alleged delay in acquiring new submarines is about as destructively disruptive as it gets, really.

Abbott has already undermined his successor on same-sex marriage (or even bullying), tax policy, industrial relations, even national security. But now even the veneer of respectful disagreement is gone. "I'm not just disappointed, I'm flabbergasted at this decision," he told The Australian, before suggesting Turnbull had compromised our "national self-respect".

He's accepted the role of disillusioned commentator on a story about a leak of classified documents. A leak, by the way, the Australian Federal Police have now seen fit to investigate. Even in the event the leak has nothing to do with him, it's a hell of a thing to dignify, and a hell of a way to do it.
Illustration: Andrew Dyson

Illustration: Andrew Dyson

And so, inevitably, come the Rudd comparisons. Now, openly from his front-bench colleagues. And sure, it's beginning to look a lot like Labor. But it's perhaps a little too easy a reference point. Rudd's white-anting was really about the fury of a Prime Minister scorned; a man seeking to right a wrong through revenge. Otherwise, it had no real content. That's why when Rudd finally retook the throne, there was no policy reason given and no obvious policy consequence.

I don't doubt Abbott's story is also one of revenge. But there's more to it than that. Abbott's sniping is actually about something. He's trying to rehabilitate not merely his reputation, but his entire brand of politics.

That's why he's constantly choosing totemic issues to agitate: even ones for which he had no appetite as Prime Minister, like industrial relations. That's why his supporters are a crew of ideological warriors and not a reluctant collection of pragmatists as in Rudd's case. And that's why it threatens to do more long-term damage to the Coalition than even the Rudd-Gillard catastrophe did to Labor.

This, I suspect, is the slow-motion disintegration of conservative politics that's bigger than Abbott, or Turnbull, or even Australia. Indeed we're seeing it most spectacularly in the United States, where, following his domination of Super Tuesday, Donald Trump is cruising towards the Republican presidential nomination.

This he has achieved despite the fact almost every Republican elder opposes him. They always have. During the last election season the Republican candidates cancelled a scheduled debate when the relevant news outlet announced Trump would be the moderator. Now, some Republican heads are spitballing ways they can use party rules to deny him the nomination even though his mandate from Republican voters is so strong.

This, too, is a party now out of control. But in truth it has been slowly spiralling out of control for years. Do you think Trump is heinous on immigration because he wants to build a wall to keep out Mexicans? So does the establishment's own Ted Cruz. Do you think Trump's declaration that climate change is a hoax makes him unworthy of office? Here's the other establishment candidate, Marco Rubio: "I do not believe that human activity is causing these dramatic changes to our climate the way these scientists are portraying it." At least he seems to believe the science is in. He just chooses not to accept it.

It's true in a sense that Trump has stolen the Republican party. But it's also true it was there for the taking. There are many reasons Trump is succeeding – anger and disillusionment among a humiliated electorate is one of them. But there's also the fact that the Republicans have been training their voters to indulge every reactionary prejudice for years. Trump simply does this better, louder, and with less varnish than his rivals. Can we be surprised when he vanquishes them? Can the Republican establishment really cry foul when he outdoes them?

And is it so different here? Well, in a way, yes. A moderate is presently in the top job and the reactionary forces aren't yet taking endorsements from former Ku Klux Klan wizards (they'll have to settle for Reclaim Australia for now). But there's an important commonality too: that the contradictions that were once holding conservative parties together, and delivering them political success, have now fallen apart. The most important of these is the contradiction between liberal economics and the politics of "values".

It's hard to be the staunch defenders of family, culture and tradition while you're also staunch advocates of things like high-skilled immigration and workplace "flexibility" of the kind WorkChoices offered. It's hard to believe the market should be free to exploit and commodify whatever consumers will tolerate – sex, culture, children – and yet pretend we are bound together by inviolable, sacred values.

Liberal economics has this habit of being, well, disruptive. Trying to mitigate that by playing the politics of culture will eventually descend into bigotry. The more the culture being defended is hollowed out, the more it can only take the form of finding symbols to rail against. That's why we've seen such an inexhaustible parade of targets: immigrants, refugees, Muslims, greenies, gays, women, blacks, Mexicans.

Every broad political movement has its contradictions. Successful ones conceal them long enough to enjoy power – and there's no doubt this neo-conservatism had its glory. But eventually, you face that moment when an earthquake turns a fault line into a canyon; when a movement's contradictions consume it. At that point it either splits, or one side becomes unleashed.

There's no easy resolution for Turnbull because the disruption is deep and determined. And there's no easy response for the Republicans who must now witness what they have unleashed.

I'm not sure I buy the dissolution of conservative politics, but I think they do need a reforming figure ala thatcher/blair to redefine their side of politics. Given the current crop it's pretty obviously not going to be anyone from Australia, so who knows where it's going to come from.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Probably shouldn't hotlink my friend!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

Waleed Aly also has a piece about the alliance of values conservatives and economic liberals finally fracturing.

I'm not sure I buy the dissolution of conservative politics, but I think they do need a reforming figure ala thatcher/blair to redefine their side of politics. Given the current crop it's pretty obviously not going to be anyone from Australia, so who knows where it's going to come from.

They'll find another wedge. The 'family values' crap was always just a ruse to enable them to carry out their economic reforms.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I meant proof that it's actually happening rather than rumours but yeah my Facebook has picked up on this and it's been listed on a commercial real estate website so gently caress

http://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/property/52-costin-street-fortitude-valley-qld-4006-2012618725

That's what I mean. There's no central area to find out about new developments other than https://www.planningalerts.org.au/

You've gotta do the digging yourself, council has learned a few tricks being in office this long. But the assumption is that everything is up for sale, because it is, and the info is out there somewhere.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
In a fresh round of institutionalised victim blaming:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/family-wins-220000-in-settlement-against-nsw-over-ambulance-delays-20160303-gn9fxm.html

quote:

Family wins $220,000 in settlement against NSW over ambulance delays March 3, 2016 - 5:09PM James Robertson

The Yuke family was awarded $220,000 on Thursday after an ambulance stood waiting outside a 'no-go zone' while Geoffrey Yuke died from a heart condition. Geoffrey Yuke died slowly. Help was at hand. It was close to midnight and the 24-year-old stood suffering a heart attack. An ambulance was parked minutes' drive from his home. But it didn't come any closer. Mr Yuke's Indigenous community at Box Ridge, west of Lismore, was marked a no-go zone - in the official terminology, it was the subject of a "caution note". Ambulances were not to enter without police escort because of safety fears. A neighbour called for an ambulance which was dispatched within a couple of minutes. But a chain of mistakes and communications failures delayed the arrival of a police escort by 45 minutes. Mr Yuke died shortly before the ambulance reached his home, almost an hour after the first emergency call was made.

Last week, nearly 10 years after their father's death, Mr Yuke's three children, all of whom were aged under three at the time, successfully sued the state of NSW. The state government agreed to pay the children $220,000 in damages, the family's lawyer said. Mr Yuke's sister, Margaret, brought the case on their behalf. "I thought he had just died because of a heart attack," she said. "It wasn't until the [coronial inquest a year later] that I found out about all that." Margaret said she cried hearing about the circumstances of her brother's death over "five long days" in court and was moved to seek out local lawyer Tracey Randall to take civil action after the inquest. The case was brought in 2013 against the police and ambulance service jointly. It alleged poor communication and errors by both organisations had contributed to delays in treating Mr Yuke, who suffered from a congenital heart condition.

A NSW Ambulance spokesman said the service had apologised to the Yuke family. He said a "caution note" no longer applied to Mr Yuke's community at Box Ridge but noted that the coroner had found the warning was justified. The notes are applied when a paramedic has been threatened or assaulted at an address, the spokesman said. "This policy not only protects paramedics but also ensures they can effectively treat patients with police back-up," he said. Margaret said she cried again when the matter was settled on Friday with the approval of a judge at Lismore. She was particularly close to her younger brother. The two had run away from home together after being fostered out to an abusive home.

When Margaret was about 16 they ended up living together in their own home in Evans Head, with her taking legal charge of her brother. "I felt like giving up so many times but I kept going because I knew he would have done that for me," she said. "My heart will just let the pain go now." The family's lawyer, Ms Randall, said the money would be held in trust and the family was hoping to use the settlement for "educational opportunities Geoffrey and Margaret did not have". A recent case on the Central Coast allegedly involved delays in treating a woman whose home was the subject of a "caution note", even though the resident who had been the subject of the note had since moved out.

Isolated instances..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-13/borroloola-woman-died-funeral-after-ambulance-refused-elder-says/6090370

quote:

Borroloola woman died at funeral after requests for ambulance refused, elder says By Nadia Daly Updated 13 Feb 2015, 10:07am

An elderly Indigenous woman died at a funeral after requests for an ambulance were refused, according to an Indigenous elder in the remote NT town of Borroloola. Jack Green said the woman and members of the community 650 kilometres south-east of Katherine were attending the funeral on Saturday when she became unwell. He said he called Borroloola's Health Clinic requesting an ambulance but he was told by a staff member that they could not send one. He said the staff member did not provide a reason why an ambulance could not be sent from the nearby clinic. "I said, 'Look, we really need an ambulance down here'," he told the ABC. "They said, 'Nah we can't send any vehicle down, you have to get family to bring her up here'. "I said, 'We're right in the middle of a big funeral here'." Mr Green said members of the woman's family, despite being distraught at the funeral, then drove the woman to the clinic. He said he believed she may have died on the way there or upon arrival. He said he understood there was an ambulance at the clinic and did not understand why it was not dispatched. "If we had someone out there it would have helped a lot," he said. The lady was a patient of the clinic and Mr Green said staff there knew she was in poor health. "They know she was a really crook lady," he said.

NT Health investigating death

In a statement, Michael Kalimnios from the NT Health Department said he was deeply saddened by the woman's death and that it was being investigated as a priority. Mr Green was now calling for an ambulance to be stationed at all funerals in Borroloola in the future to avoid a similar tragedy occurring. "We ask the hospital there if we can have one on standby for in future," he said. "Just in case this thing happen again, because it's shocked the family of this old lady."

Have you ever contemplated calling for an ambulance and having someone say they won't send one?

"We're not making it up!" - Minister for NO environment and NTATA:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...303-gn9e7c.html

quote:

No evidence of 'vigilante' green groups as government crackdown falls silent March 3, 2016 - 4:57PM Nicole Hasham Environment and immigration correspondent

Federal Environment Minister Greg Hunt's claims of green 'vigilantes' have failed to stack up.

Environment Minister Greg Hunt has failed to justify his government's claim that "vigilante" green groups are unfairly disrupting major developments in court, a parliamentary committee says, as speculation mounts that another Abbott-era attack on the environment has been quietly abandoned. It has been almost seven months since the government proposed new laws that would strip conservation groups of the right to launch a legal challenge to environmental approval for large infrastructure and mining projects. It followed a Federal Court bid by a grassroots community group that threw a spanner in the works of Australia's largest coal project, Adani's proposed Carmichael mine in central Queensland – a move former prime minister Tony Abbott described as "sabotage". Under the proposed changes, the right to mount a court challenge would be limited to people directly affected by a development, such as a landholder. The move drew public outrage and stalled in the Senate after failing to win support from Labor, the Greens and some crossbenchers. In an attempt to justify the legislation to a joint parliamentary committee on human rights, Mr Hunt claimed there was "an emerging risk of the [current laws] being used to deliberately disrupt and delay key projects".

However, a report by the committee, which is evenly split between government and other members, said no evidence was provided about the extent and nature of this threat in cases where there was "no legitimate environmental concern". Mr Hunt's office insisted the proposal "remains government policy". However the bill is unlikely to pass without changes and Labor says the government has not sought to negotiate amendments. Mr Butler said it appeared the bill had been "tucked away in the bottom draw in the hope that the Australian public will forget the ridiculous attacks this government has made on the environment in the past two-and-a-half years". It follows reports that the Turnbull government has shelved plans to abolish the Clean Energy Finance Corporation, representing another departure from Mr Abbott's environment policies. In Parliament in September last year, Liberal MP Bob Baldwin pointed to a report by Greenpeace Australia titled Stopping the Australian Coal Export Boom, which outlined a strategy to "disrupt and delay" key projects, and said legal challenges can stop projects outright or can delay them. But NSW Environmental Defender's Office principal solicitor Sue Higginson said the number of court challenges mounted to developments on environmental grounds was small. Of those, a large proportion had been successful and "highlighted the improper exercise of power under environmental laws", she said.

A spokesman for Mr Hunt on Thursday repeated the claim that laws were "being exploited to disrupt and delay projects", which he said cost jobs.
"We, we can't lie any more? Game over man! Game over!" - Spokes Potato.

Not the only bullshit artists under the spotlight.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...303-gn9nv9.html

quote:

Call for code of conduct for economic modellers after saga surrounding BIS Shrapnel negative gearing modelling March 4, 2016 - 12:15AM Gareth Hutchens

Call to end misuse of economic modelling

The Australia Institute wants a code of conduct introduced for economic modelling following the BIS Shrapnel report into negative gearing. The use and abuse of economic modelling has become so bad in Australia that we need to adopt a code of conduct for economic consultants, similar to those followed by auditors and actuaries, the Australia Institute says. The Australia Institute is calling for a code of conduct to be introduced in the wake of the saga surrounding modelling produced by BIS Shrapnel on Thursday, which purports to show the economic consequences of restricting negative gearing to new residential properties. The modelling was being championed by Treasurer Scott Morrison, who said it showed Labor's proposal on negative gearing was ill-designed.

Treasurer Scott Morrison has come under fire for his use of BIS Shrapnel modelling.

It predicted that abolishing negative gearing on established dwellings would wipe $19 billion from Australia's gross domestic product and push up rental prices by 10 per cent. But BIS Shrapnel associate director Kim Hawtrey would not say who commissioned the modelling - despite the obvious political ramifications of its conclusions - saying only they were a "private client." And the report also did not state clearly what its assumptions are, nor what type of modelling programs it used. The lack of transparency has prompted the Australia Institute to call for a code of conduct to be introduced, saying the misuse of such modelling needs to come to an end. "On Thursday we saw modelling driven into the centre of the tax reform debate by an unknown vested interest," Australia Institute executive director Ben Oquist said. "While the startling allegations in the BIS Shrapnel report have been quickly torn apart by many economists, it has nonetheless misinformed and mongered fear among the public. "We call on the government to develop a code of conduct to ensure the standard of all economic modelling used to inform Government is transparent and of a high standard," he said. "It's not too much to ask for a consistent standard. There is absolutely no reason why all sides can't at least agree on the minimum rules."

Treasurer Scott Morrison seized on the BIS report, describing it as "an indictment on Labor's policy".

"What it shows is [that] they just haven't done their homework on this," he said. But he later came under fire after BIS Shrapnel clarified that its modelling was prepared before Labor's policy was announced. "The assumptions were set several months ago, and the analysis done late last year, well before Labor announced its policy," BIS Shrapnel associate director Kim Hawtrey told Fairfax Media. Australia Institute executive director Ben Oquist said state and federal governments, who are the main audience for economic modelling, have a unique ability to influence the behaviour of economic modellers by requiring that all modelling aimed at influencing government decisions conform to minimum standards. He says the code of conduct should require modellers to disclose who, if anyone, commissioned a piece of work, to clearly discuss their key assumptions, to provide sensitivity analysis where appropriate, and to explain the choice of economic model. He says modellers should also take responsibility for the plausibility of their results, and the full modelling results should be made publicly available when they are released to the media. "Auditors have a code of conduct because financial information is open to abuse and people rely on this information to make important decisions, and actuaries have a code of conduct that includes context, basic rules and a declaration of fairness and accuracy," Mr Oquist said. "A consistent standard would be in the interest of the economic modelling industry and its reputation."
:laugh:

I don't think I remember seeing an entire ministry faceplant so hard since the heady days of NTATA. Is there a single portfolio not quietly smoking?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Back when drug testing drivers hadn't been implemented yet and various methods were being compared, using simple physical impairment tests was put forward.

But then they realised it would knock out a huge chunk of elderly drivers and be political suicide. Because it's okay to be unsafe on the roads as long as you form a large enough voting block.

Man, Old people are the worst.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/David_Speers/status/705544569144737792

Tax. TAX. tax. tax. TaX. TAX. tax. Tax!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I hate that I have to smoke for work =(

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Druggo? Jesus christ grandpa

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I have no house, wealth, super, or job I'm in good shape under the new tax regime.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thatbastardken posted:

I have no house, wealth, super, or job I'm in good shape under the new tax regime.

You are made of carbon though...

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You are made of carbon though...

if I lose some weight I'll get below the threshold.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
No carbon taxation without carbon representation.

Oh wait, I forgot about inanimate block of graphite H.Bill Shorten.

Carry on.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

freebooter posted:

From memory, about 1942-3 you can see Roosevelt and Churchill knew about the holocaust.

Quick google gives this from 1944

http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/_resources/images/sign/fdr_60.pdf

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cartoon posted:

Have you ever contemplated calling for an ambulance and having someone say they won't send one?

Ever tried to help someone who's dying only to be assaulted and have your life threatened?

My sister's an ambulance officer and even in quiet country Victoria where she works half the time, they have houses and entire streets they're told to never go down unescorted for their own safety.

The fuckup is from the higher-ups (no surprise there, Ambulance Victoria is utterly loving incompetent and I have no reason to suspect the other states are any better) not being able to coordinate calling the police. High risk areas are all flagged and a call should have gone out automatically to the police the second the ambulance was sent the job.

And back in Pell is a piece of poo poo news:

quote:

George Pell tells royal commission it was a 'disastrous coincidence' Ballarat had so many paedophile priests

Cardinal George Pell has told the child abuse royal commission it was a "disastrous coincidence" that five paedophile priests preyed on children in Ballarat during the 1970s, as survivors accused him of lying.

When asked why there had been "so many child sexual abusers aggregating in Ballarat East in the 1970s", Cardinal Pell said it was a "disastrous coincidence".

quote:

Questions put to Cardinal Pell

Q: "I want to suggest to you that your interest was not in helping [David Ridsdale] but in trying to keep him from going to the police."
A: "I don't think there's any evidence of that at all."

Q: "Cardinal, what, in your view, were the reasons behind so many child sexual abusers aggregating in Ballarat East....?"
A: "I think it was a disastrous coincidence."

Q: "You could have done something which would have put a stop to [Brother Edward Dowlan's abuse of children,] couldn't you?"
A: "No, with respect, I think that is a vast overstatement."

The commission earlier heard Cardinal Pell had received information from a student at Ballarat's St Patrick's College in the 1970s that Dowlan was "misbehaving with boys".

Cardinal Pell said he had inquired with the school chaplain about the complaint but did not take it further.

"There was no specifics about the activity, how serious it was, and the boy wasn't asking me to do anything about it, but just lamenting and mentioning it."

Justice McClellan asked: "Why was it necessary for people to ask you to do something rather than for you to accept the information and initiate your own response?"

Cardinal Pell said he was not as aware of his obligations at that time, when he was a young cleric, as he was later on.

The more I read, the more I hate him.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/mar/04/paul-sheehan-suspended-sydney-morning-herald-false-rape-story

quote:

The Sydney Morning Herald columnist Paul Sheehan has been “stood aside until further notice” over his false story of the woman “Louise” who claimed she had been raped and beaten by Muslim men.

hahhhahhahahahahahaha

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Lol housing tax. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

he'll be back in a few weeks.

• Locked thread