Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
How else are you gonna know about the ~rich lore~ of pathfinder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Some at least have Jim Zub on words but I couldn't get past the art.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
someone should write an indignant post on their forums about how 4e also had a comic and that this represents blatant catering to the casual WoW degenerates

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Drone posted:

Paizo is really going whole-hog on the whole Humble thing. Today's newest book bundle has a bunch of Pathfinder comic books.

Do people even like... read Pathfinder comic books? I honestly didn't know they existed.

I for one can't wait to find out what happens in the Unremembered Lands and Whitefalcon.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

How else are you gonna know about the ~rich lore~ of pathfinder?

Oh please. I challenge you to read City of Strangers and tell me it's not one of the more creative books in the D&D & related line.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Helical Nightmares posted:

I challenge you to read City of Strangers and tell me it's not one of the more creative books in the D&D & related line.

I would rather sleep in a trashcan.

Edit: tell me why

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 3, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have roll20 icon/token packs they'd be willing to share? Doesn't have to be anything fancy, s'long as the pictures are properly labeled.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Drone posted:

Paizo is really going whole-hog on the whole Humble thing. Today's newest book bundle has a bunch of Pathfinder comic books.

Do people even like... read Pathfinder comic books? I honestly didn't know they existed.

I picked a volume up from a local library once, it was an ok fantasy adventure comic.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anyone have roll20 icon/token packs they'd be willing to share? Doesn't have to be anything fancy, s'long as the pictures are properly labeled.

What kind of things are you looking for? I don't have any packs to share, but I've made a few Photoshop templates for making my own tokens, so I can make 'em real quick.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

I would rather sleep in a trashcan.

Edit: tell me why

Because we get to make fun of your stubborn grogyness if you don't :sun:

Seriously though, try City of Stangers.

On a noticeable lower tier but still in the range of good is City of Monuments: Magnamar. I also think the whole Curse of the Crimson throne adventure path has an interesting setting and lots of creative nuggets. The origin story of the main bad guy (the queen) is pretty creative.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thefakenews posted:

What kind of things are you looking for? I don't have any packs to share, but I've made a few Photoshop templates for making my own tokens, so I can make 'em real quick.

Just lots of generic monsters, really. Most of my tokens come from some random redditor's project that tokenized everything in the D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual, but as my players have discovered, there are some holes in my coverage on the scale of my skeleton warriors actually being a smiling skeleton emoji.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I fail to see the problem.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just lots of generic monsters, really. Most of my tokens come from some random redditor's project that tokenized everything in the D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual, but as my players have discovered, there are some holes in my coverage on the scale of my skeleton warriors actually being a smiling skeleton emoji.

Well, I think I've fixed your skeleton problem.

Also a .zip version.

If you like them, tell me what you want. It takes me like 20 seconds to make a token. Most of the time is spent in Google Image Search.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

TG February Chat and Cat Thread: it's march

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thefakenews posted:

Well, I think I've fixed your skeleton problem.

Also a .zip version.

If you like them, tell me what you want. It takes me like 20 seconds to make a token. Most of the time is spent in Google Image Search.

Whoah hey, those are nice, thanks!

And since you volunteered:
shoggoth and polyp (or other lovecraftian monsters)
run-of-the-mill naturey druid
giant bat
dog
halfling
witch
ogre
beetle
dark elves
wraith
gnoll

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Whoah hey, those are nice, thanks!

And since you volunteered:
shoggoth and polyp (or other lovecraftian monsters)
run-of-the-mill naturey druid
giant bat
dog
halfling
witch
ogre
beetle
dark elves
wraith
gnoll

Here you go. Hopefully those will work. I wasn't sure what kind of halfling you needed, so the choices are a bit all over the place. Also, finding a good dog picture is not that easy, so you got a couple of OK pics and a photo of my dog.

.zip version here.

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014
Those are really cool! What program do you use to make those?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gnapo posted:

Those are really cool! What program do you use to make those?

Thanks. The outer ring I made in Illustrator (although it would have been easy enough to make in Photoshop), and then imported as a .png into Photoshop, that way the blank parts of the template are transparent. The tokens themselves are made in Photoshop. Basically I use a layer mask to mask off the outside of the ring, in order to preserve the transparency. Then I just copy and paste the image in underneath all that, and all I have to do is move and scale the image and the template takes care of the rest.

Tl;dr: it's basically Photoshop

I haven't tried, but it should be possible to do the same basic stuff with GIMP and Inkscape.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tokentool sounds way lot less of a hassle to be honest.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Tokentool sounds way lot less of a hassle to be honest.

Not for me, the template took all of 10 mins and a token takes like 20 seconds. Plus I get more control over what my borders look like.

In general though , yeah, it's probably easier for most people to use TokenTool.

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

You can indeed mask and isolate in GIMP, I use it for mine sometimes if I want to add lettering or overlays. I have been using an updated tokentool that I found on their forums more lately though, as it will retain the original filename, add sequential numbers, etc. There's also a 6,400 strong collection of roll20 tokens over there too, but I have not stared into the face of that madness.

Speaking of tokens though, I've been chipping away at making some high quality physical tokens for my home game. I've got a lot of art together that will look good, but I'm stuck on what to go with for bases. Washers seem like the most reasonable option, but I'd rather not have the hole in them, and they're not viable for the bigger monsters. Thoughts?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've heard it often repeated, especially by the System Mastery guys, that Studded Leather was a mistake and wasn't really a thing that existed. How did the mistranslation happen? What did they think Studded Leather was, and what was it actually?

Even Nethack and Diablo have Studded Leather.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've heard it often repeated, especially by the System Mastery guys, that Studded Leather was a mistake and wasn't really a thing that existed. How did the mistranslation happen? What did they think Studded Leather was, and what was it actually?

A cursory Google search suggests that what Gygax and co. wound up calling "studded leather" was probably brigandine, which is a kind of armor that's basically two layers of cloth or leather with metal plates (wait for it) riveted between them. So to a casual glance it would probably look like the armor was some sort of studded leather (though really swanky brigandine used velvet for the outer layer) but it's not.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Probably that, yeah. The only nit I'd pick is that brigandine might not have an inner lining, so the plates would sit directly against whatever you were wearing underneath. I think generally this was a padded gambeson or a mail shirt.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It's mostly down to the Victorians, IIRC, who also brought you such misconceptions as "Tournament style plate armor is the only plate armor, all knights were helpless when you tipped them over and needed a a crane to get onto their horse" and "Ring Mail" as something distinct from chain mail.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think only the groggiest of games don't assume you automatically wear the appropriate padded shirt under your armor, and even as I'm typing I realize that they very likely exist and not wearing a gambeson gives you chafing damage over time or something.

Jesus, talking about this I'm still getting flashbacks about my early D&D days playing with a super high strung dude who was way too into this stuff. Kept showing everyone the gambeson or helmet or codpiece he was gonna order any day now but soon. Then he lost interest and/or moved and didn't want to bother with his stuff and long story short, I still have a sword and two kamas of his I have no idea what do do with.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I own a set of brigadine and if you don't know what you're looking at it is really easy to mistake for leather/cloth armour. You can only tell it's metal by jangling/hitting it. And it is full metal, brigandine weighs a loving ton.

Also ring mail might have been a thing, its metal rings sewn to a leather or cloth jerkin. No actual examples have ever been found but there is some documentary evidence of them existing.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know my set of brigandine looks a fair amount like the pictures of studded leather in D&D books - it has the "studs" which are actually rivets holding metal plates in place underneath the jacket. Only difference is that it's a padded cloth jacket and not rigid leather. I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that rigid leather armour didn't actually exist as a thing people wore for fighting other humans (and cursory googling only gets me pages for LARP or reenactment armour, but those might be my targeted search results), but I don't see any reason why you couldn't rivet plates to a leather jacket to get what is effectively studded leather with actual protection. Studded leather as it's depicted in D&D definitely never existed though, as 5 seconds thought will tell you that just putting a load of metal studs on your armour like an 80s biker is going to do exactly nothing to increase your survivability.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This whole discussion reminds me of something else from the old days that always bugged me, which was thief skills. Some of them just plain don't make sense, like move silently, which in reality in urban or dungeon environments is more dependent on what you're wearing and how fast you're going than any kind of training. Now in a forest I can see it, because it does take skill to avoid leaves and branches and move through brush without making noise, but it is laughably easy to sneak up on people anywhere the ground isn't covered in crap. Of course having hiding and moving being separate skills for sneaking was also dumb anyway.

Also wasn't there another type of armor that never existed? I want to say splint mail.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

This whole discussion reminds me of something else from the old days that always bugged me, which was thief skills. Some of them just plain don't make sense, like move silently, which in reality in urban or dungeon environments is more dependent on what you're wearing and how fast you're going than any kind of training. Now in a forest I can see it, because it does take skill to avoid leaves and branches and move through brush without making noise, but it is laughably easy to sneak up on people anywhere the ground isn't covered in crap. Of course having hiding and moving being separate skills for sneaking was also dumb anyway.

Also wasn't there another type of armor that never existed? I want to say splint mail.

Wasn't splint mail what D&D called Roman lamellar armour?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No, that was banded. Splint is supposed to be long vertical strips, which is sort of like lamellar but maybe not quite?

Edit: Video's relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7w-_QH607U

Siivola fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 7, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Oh god you are right that was banded.

I think splint mail is the odd one out.

So many memories of confused dumb conversations where an encyclopedia was the only reference. :negative:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kwyndig posted:

I think Thief skills are fine as long as you don't get too hung up on how they're being performed, that it's an abstraction on the same level as the Rogue being able to stealth in the middle of Tanaris.

The bad part is, as you mentioned, that they thought Hide in Shadows and Move Silently as two different things, and that they always start so terribly low. In over three sessions of an AD&D game I'm running I don't think I've ever let the Assassin roll their actual skill percentages, because drat.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

As a LG Paladin, how should I punish my child-murdering LG Cleric party member? (self.DnD)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

As a LG Paladin, how should I punish my child-murdering LG Cleric party member? (self.DnD)

first and most important question: what species are the children?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Throw him down a well. If he climbs out, it was meant to be.
This also works on testing true love and dog loyalty.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Whole lotta people seem to own medieval armor for one reason or another.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

As a LG Paladin, how should I punish my child?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Discuss out of character what kind of game you're playing? Not to redo the alignment argument but someone who dedicates themselves to honor and valor won't truck with kid killing. (Sure, in the crusades, but in D&D alignment is Literally a Universal Force, so no moral relativism here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Make the X, walk away from the table, find a new group.

Or, when the DM inevitably punishes his misbehavior (oh boy, I sure hope you have a DM who punishes that behavior), do not attempt to save him from his horrible fate.

• Locked thread