Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bondster
May 6, 2007

This chapter also addressed something that bugged me about One Piece's story: Why couldn't any of Gold Rogers former crewmates like Shanks and Buggy just go straight back to Raftel since it seems they have been there before. If they have noone who could read the Poneglyphs they have no means to get back there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Well I've always said that no one knows where Raftel is and can't get there, it's good to be proved right, even when it's an obvious deduction. Good job goon who called Kaido being the Wano shogun. I was getting worried that Momonosuke's family were a bit too nice to be One Piece nobility, glad to see the traditional rear end in a top hat King is in place in Wano.

Holy hell, what an arc this is.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

AshB posted:

So if Zou has one, Big Mom has one, and Kaidou has one, where do you think the fourth one is? I'm sure Blackbeard will find it before or at the same time as the Straw Hats.

Shanks has one. It's his dinner table

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Well I've always said that no one knows where Raftel is and can't get there, it's good to be proved right, even when it's an obvious deduction. Good job goon who called Kaido being the Wano shogun. I was getting worried that Momonosuke's family were a bit too nice to be One Piece nobility, glad to see the traditional rear end in a top hat King is in place in Wano.

Holy hell, what an arc this is.

Uhhh what about the Alabasta royal family

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guys, did you know this chapter's lovely, lovely tnraslation was done by z-ani.net?! Because I sure didn't!

It was, however, a great chapter. Oda is rushing the plot along like crazy at this point. The end is in sight, albeit a long way down the road.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Hey, I said it was an early translation, not a good one. :colbert:

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
The mod of the One Piece subreddit commented that a proper translation would've made it clear the shogun and Kaidou are two different people.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AshB posted:

The mod of the One Piece subreddit commented that a proper translation would've made it clear the shogun and Kaidou are two different people.

This is why I wait until good translations come out before making deductions/coming to conclusions.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Call me crazy, but...

:stare:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Holy poo poo the One Piece treasure hunt begins (only took 20 years). Only fitting it's revealed by reading that poneglyph of a translation.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 3, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
That Luffy face was amazing when Usopp suggested sneaking in and just copying the poneglyph text :allears:

Also, Momonosuke for Strawhats cabin boy in order to further the parallels between Luffy and Roger.

I always assumed that Kaidou ruled over Wano, I think his introduction hinted at that. But you also don't become as strong as Kaidou and not rule the island you're based on.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Call me crazy, but...

GOD loving drat IT ODA

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shoren posted:

That Luffy face was amazing when Usopp suggested sneaking in and just copying the poneglyph text :allears:

Also, Momonosuke for Strawhats cabin boy in order to further the parallels between Luffy and Roger.

I always assumed that Kaidou ruled over Wano, I think his introduction hinted at that. But you also don't become as strong as Kaidou and not rule the island you're based on.

I'm still betting that Kaidou effectively controls Wano through using the Shogun as a puppet ruler.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Mangastream is up.

And yeah, Kaido conquered Wano.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
So if Raftel is in the area where all four locations converge, they only actually need three of those, right?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Jinbei is carrying around a poneglyph too right? Or am I remembering.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

AshB posted:

So if Raftel is in the area where all four locations converge, they only actually need three of those, right?

If they don't form a square/rectangle they might need all 4 I think. I'm not a mathematician though so I could be wrong and with three they should get at least a decent aproximation.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

If they're vaguely cross-shaped, with 3 they can get a decent approximation (they'll know which 2 form a line, and they can sort of hit the middle section of that line).

If not, then they'll get a line from 3 and can take a stab at it but would A) need to search that entire line and B) can't guarantee it's the correct two. They can triangulate and search that entire area, but that could be a huge search in dangerous waters.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Oden was the one who carved Rogers message in the skypiea poneglyph.

The last poneglyph might also be in Mariejois.

GoldenPrice fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 3, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
These last bunch of chapters have been so drat good, a refreshing change after the mistake of extending the doflamingo fight

Franky's whale hair being shocked as well was probably my favorite part of the chapter, though every single page was fantastic too

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Call me crazy, but...

glad I wasn't the only one to think of it

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Jibo posted:

If they don't form a square/rectangle they might need all 4 I think. I'm not a mathematician though so I could be wrong and with three they should get at least a decent aproximation.

If the location is as depicted by the example, then yes, they could get by with just 3. Since the "shape" is a quadrilateral, they just need to determine which 2 of the 3 locations are opposite corners then they'd just have to sail directly between them until they find the island. It's an inefficient and roundabout way of getting there, but it's possible.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Our protagonist,everybody.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shoren posted:

If the location is as depicted by the example, then yes, they could get by with just 3. Since the "shape" is a quadrilateral, they just need to determine which 2 of the 3 locations are opposite corners then they'd just have to sail directly between them until they find the island. It's an inefficient and roundabout way of getting there, but it's possible.

I assume that this is counterbalanced by the waters around Raftel being absolutely loving lethal even for an Emperor's fleet.

Also, it seems that it's been confirmed that Raftel won't be the story's finale (not that it wasn't looking increasingly unlikely of late). One Piece seems to be the container for some sort of great and terrible secret, so the Straw Hats will, presumably, need to act on that secret after discovering it.

One thing - if this is the Year of Sanji, do you reckon Big Mom will end up having some connection to All Blue? Every other Straw Hat seems to have been making concrete progress on their dream, but not him.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume that this is counterbalanced by the waters around Raftel being absolutely loving lethal even for an Emperor's fleet.

Also, it seems that it's been confirmed that Raftel won't be the story's finale (not that it wasn't looking increasingly unlikely of late). One Piece seems to be the container for some sort of great and terrible secret, so the Straw Hats will, presumably, need to act on that secret after discovering it.

One thing - if this is the Year of Sanji, do you reckon Big Mom will end up having some connection to All Blue? Every other Straw Hat seems to have been making concrete progress on their dream, but not him.

All Blue will occur when the Red Line is destroyed, and all the oceans are united. Sanji's goal will eventually be the same as Luffy's.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The thing that I don't understand about ask this is how will they even navigate to the final location? They can't use traditional navigation tools which is why they need the log pose to traverse the Grand Line, but no log pose exists for Raftel.

It's good to see that Luffy actually is interested in what One Piece is. There was a discussion a while back that Luffy didn't care period, he just wanted to be the Pirate King by being free to do whatever he wanted. While I'm sure there is plenty of loot on Raftel, everything is pointing to One Piece being some bombshell piece of info implicating the World Government in some horrendous act.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Usopp should really know better than to suggest the easy way to do something to Luffy. Hope the Sunny has a large enough draft to carry tons and tons of rock.

AshB posted:

The 4th direction is to locate it on the Y axis.

After Skypea, Fishman Island, and Zou I don't know why you guys assume it's some regular island like Hawaii or something that you can just triangulate on the surface of the planet.

Enel's already on Raftel, dudes.

Shoren posted:

It's good to see that Luffy actually is interested in what One Piece is. There was a discussion a while back that Luffy didn't care period, he just wanted to be the Pirate King by being free to do whatever he wanted. While I'm sure there is plenty of loot on Raftel, everything is pointing to One Piece being some bombshell piece of info implicating the World Government in some horrendous act.

Luffy doesn't care about the physical make-up of the One Piece. He only cares in that finding it is a sweet adventure. If it turns out to be a snow globe that reminded Roger of a childhood toy Luffy would be 110% fine with it. So long as he found it first.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If occurs to me that if you're drawing a line between two points on a globe, there's two lines you can draw: a short one and a long one. With two pairs of points, you've got four possible overlap points, and four points on the globe that the Finish Line could be.

(Granted, probably only one of those is in the New World, but now I'm struggling to remember if it's been explicitly said that Raftel is in the New World, or if the path to Raftel. Which are very different things.)

Maybe the reason no one has found Raftel is that it's actually in East Blue or something.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
it seems like it's underwater except for when something happens? Like in this chapter it seems to more be exploding out of the water instead of standing on it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Robin's going to find one of those ponoglyph printings in a giftshop

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Or, maybe it literally is literally at the exact point between those four points. Meaning you draw the lines straight through the earth, not across the surface. Raftel can't be found because it's underground / at the bottom of a deep chasm of the sea.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bobulus posted:

If occurs to me that if you're drawing a line between two points on a globe, there's two lines you can draw: a short one and a long one. With two pairs of points, you've got four possible overlap points, and four points on the globe that the Finish Line could be.

(Granted, probably only one of those is in the New World, but now I'm struggling to remember if it's been explicitly said that Raftel is in the New World, or if the path to Raftel. Which are very different things.)

Maybe the reason no one has found Raftel is that it's actually in East Blue or something.

Raftel is stated to be at the end of the Grand Line and the plan for Brooke and Luffy is to go to Raftel then keep on going back to the beginning of the grand line and see Laboon again.

Raftel is probably either going to be on/in/under the Red Line directly opposite of Mariejois or something else crazy in that area.

Bobulus posted:

Or, maybe it literally is literally at the exact point between those four points. Meaning you draw the lines straight through the earth, not across the surface. Raftel can't be found because it's underground / at the bottom of a deep chasm of the sea.

A hollow earth type thing would fit in perfectly with the Jules Vernean world of One Piece. Use an airship to go to the moon, a bubble to go to the bottom of the sea, and a volcano to go to the clouds. Why not also go visit the molemen and see the fabulous inner sun?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 3, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gyges posted:

Raftel is stated to be at the end of the Grand Line and the plan for Brooke and Luffy is to go to Raftel then keep on going back to the beginning of the grand line and see Laboon again.

Raftel is probably either going to be on/in/under the Red Line directly opposite of Mariejois or something else crazy in that area.

A hollow earth type thing would fit in perfectly with the Jules Vernean world of One Piece. Use an airship to go to the moon, a bubble to go to the bottom of the sea, and a volcano to go to the clouds. Why not also go visit the molemen and see the fabulous inner sun?

It's weird that Raftel is supposed to be at the "end" of the Grand Line/New World because the illustration makes it look like it's in the middle of an archipelago. It's probably the "final" area because it's in the most dangerous part of the entire world, as another poster mentioned.

Also, the way Kin'emon spoke made it sound like Raftel is in some kind of otherworldly pocket dimension. How can Raftel be part of "that world" if it's not something totally alien to the rest of the New World/Grand Line? Am I the only one thinking this way?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shoren posted:

If they can't determine which two places are opposite corners, then they'd have to sail between all three points since the intersection must be between two of those three points.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The final road poneglyph must be hidden on Baltigo. Makes sense since noone has any idea where the island is, the revolutionaries probably know a bit about Raftel's secrets and are protecting it, and Blackbeard obviously needs his own poneglyph too.

edit: OR MAYBE BALTIGO IS ONE OF THE ROAD PONEGLYPH'S DESTINATION! Adding on to the world government's symbol, maybe the 5 white dots are symbolic to 5 white islands like Baltigo!

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 3, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I'm not a fan of how disoriented the poneglyphs are just throwing that out there. 4 are location ones and the others are just bullshit to speculate on forever basically?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Veskit posted:

I'm not a fan of how disoriented the poneglyphs are just throwing that out there. 4 are location ones and the others are just bullshit to speculate on forever basically?

sounds to me like you shouldn't be looking for the One Piece then

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Veskit posted:

They're all indestructible information repositories containing great, important secrets. Four especially important ones point to the most vital, explosive piece of information of all.

There's a theme there.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

There not random things, the Ponoglyphs are basically immortal tomes that chronicle big poo poo that matters to the world such as super weapons

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Of course there's four points, the ultimate pirate treasure would need to be marked with an x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Azathoth256 posted:

Of course there's four points, the ultimate pirate treasure would need to be marked with an x.

poo poo i'm upset that I didn't realize this.