Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I mean, there are plenty of map mods that disable different builds. Why should curse builds get a free pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Well, that map mod is incredibly common, rolls at any level and has no work around. The only similar mods in my opinion are either reflect which can often be worked around, or only come on top tier maps and far less often. Things like Blood Magic, Ele Status Immunity, No Regen and Cannot Leech are similar in how punishing they are, but are restricted to only the highest tiers of maps.

Also it comes innately on monsters randomly so you're already getting punished.

I don't think curses need a buff, but with those things existing it makes me not want to ever build around curses with Occultist.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 3, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

low/no regen mods are very common and punish a lot of builds very hard. enfeeble is very common and punishes crit builds extremely hard. vuln is very common and punishes several build types extremely hard. For how extremely powerful curse-builds are, it would be absurd if there were no map mods to punish them harshly.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The way the system is designed, there are always going to be map mods that are 100% impossible for a given build to do and others that are 100% irrelevant and are simply free map quantity.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheRat posted:

low/no regen mods are very common and punish a lot of builds very hard. enfeeble is very common and punishes crit builds extremely hard. vuln is very common and punishes several build types extremely hard. For how extremely powerful curse-builds are, it would be absurd if there were no map mods to punish them harshly.

to expand on this: even the most powerful build (flasks) this season has a 100% counter, no leech

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

whypick1 posted:

Can't wait for the next expansion where it's revealed that all of the events in Wraeclast were a Crab People conspiracy.

It wouldn't surprise me if T'Leth were somewhere in the oceans. It'd fit the general air of 'everything is doomed and hopeless'.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

TheRat posted:

Tricorn meta is dead. As it should be.

you have no soul

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
> The solo player who completes the Labyrinth the fastest each day in each difficulty and each league will receive a special Unique Jewel as a reward. You can see the ranking of Labyrinth times for the day on the website. There are different rewards for each difficulty level. There are three difficulty levels and four leagues, so twelve rewards are given out each day.

That's a really nice addition, assuming the rewards won't be "4% increased effect of your Chaos Golem".

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Are the labyrinths going to be a set level? are you going to have level 90's speedrunning the cruel difficulty labyrinth?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are the labyrinths going to be a set level? are you going to have level 90's speedrunning the cruel difficulty labyrinth?

Yep. I'm sure by the end of the first week it'll just be the same 2 or 3 poopsockers getting them in every league.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Worth flinging fuses at a 6s white ilvl=75 Vaal Regalia before the patch hits? y/n

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

If you intend to play standard, at least get a max ilvl one. If not, its not like it matters at all.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
True. I guess I'll just vendor it.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Ziggyd posted a vid on how to level smoothly with spark + orb of storms for any spell build basically. Lots of alpha streamers leveled their casters that way and it's fast and cheap from what I've seen.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
I just got done reading the Ascendancy Patch Notes and I just want to double check something with you all, sorry if this has been brought up.

The idea is an Inquisitor Templar:

Ascendancy Passives, Inquisitor:
100% increased Critical Strike Chance against Enemies that are affected by no Elemental Status Ailments [+45% to Critical Strike Multiplier against Enemies that are affected by Elemental Status Ailments]
Critical Strikes ignore Enemy Elemental Resistances [Non-Critical Strikes penetrates 10% of Enemy Elemental Resistances]

Passives Skill Tree:, Elemental Overload
40% more Elemental Damage if you've Crit in the past 8 seconds. No Critical Strike Multiplier.

Support Gems, Elemental Focus:
Supported skills deal more elemental damage, but can't cause elemental status ailments.

Weapon, Kongor's Undying Rage:
Adds (27–270 to 56–400) Physical Damage
(30 to 40)% increased Critical Strike Chance
+(15 to 20)% to all Elemental Resistances
Hits can't be Evaded
Your Critical Strikes do not deal increased Damage
You gain Onslaught for 2 seconds on Critical Strike

So the idea is use a Phys to Elemental conversion Skill, say Infernal Blow. Then use something to convert the rest of the physical, like physical to lightning, or you could even grab Avatar of Fire I guess. Basically, crank your elemental damage as high as possible. You will end up with, 100% critical strike chance which means every hit ignores Elemental Resistances, 40% more elemental damage, XX% more elemental damage from Elemental Focus, and 100% chance to hit. Essentially replacing crit chance and crit damage for a poo poo ton of more damage and ignoring all resistances.

Kongor's mace is just what made me think of the idea. Really, you could use Spell, which would probably be even better. In fact, with any elemental spell combined with: Inquisitor, Elemental Overload, Elemental Focus, and Controlled Destruction, you'd be gaining 40% more elemental damage, XX% more elemental damage, 40% more spell damage (lvl 20), and completely ignore mob resists. Of course it comes with a price, no damage bonus from critical strike multipliers and you cannot apply any status ailments, but you'd always be attacking a 0% resist mob and have a poo poo load more damage.

I guess another really big factor is if elemental penetration from curses and gems would be applied to a 0% resist mob, thus taking it into the negatives. I know that for a fact that monsters can go into the negatives by having more penetration that the mobs resistance, but I'm not sure how "Ignore Enemy Elemental Resistance," in this case.

I haven't played in a long time and I know that game has changed. Status ailments and Crit is hot right now, but the days of Resolute Technique, Static Blows, and never stacking crit/crit multi are still fresh in my mind!

tl;dr: If you combined Inquisitor (Templar Ascendancy Passives), Elemental Overload (new Keystone Passive), and Elemental Focus (new supp gem), you'd be gaining 40% more elemental damage, XX% more elemental damage, and completely ignore mob resists at the cost of no longer applying status ailments and receiving no bonus from critical strike damage.

10bux fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 3, 2016

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I think that crits ignoring elemental resists would apply even if they have negative resists.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

10bux posted:

I just got done reading the Ascendancy Patch Notes and I just want to double check something with you all, sorry if this has been brought up.

KONGOR

I haven't played in a long time and I know that game has changed. Status ailments and Crit is hot right now, but the days of Resolute Technique, Static Blows, and never stacking crit/crit multi are still fresh in my mind!

This all sounds good and I don't see any issues with it but you won't have anywhere close to 100% critical strike chance. Also depending on what skill you use, you probably won't want both elemental focus and controlled destruction in a 6 link, much less a 5 or 4 link. I'm worried you don't realize you'll still be stacking a decent amount of crit for this, probably aiming for a sweetspot somewhere in 33-50%, which is 400-600 increased critical strike chance. You get 100 of that from your Inquisitor node, but lose 100 from controlled destruction if you have that slotted.

e: Haha whoops, ignore the stuff about controlled destruction, I combined your spell theory crafting with your Kongor's theory crafting and didn't think about how CD is specifically for spells :downs:

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 3, 2016

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Mark_GGG weighed in on the subject a while ago.

quote:

Penetration on a hit that ignores resistances is as useful as increased spell damage on a character who chooses to ignore spells and only uses attacks. It can never come into play.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Haven't played this in forever and now I want to play something good after being disappointed by Grim Dawn. New league starts tomorrow right? Also, did they ever make pants for Templars?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

LoG posted:

Haven't played this in forever and now I want to play something good after being disappointed by Grim Dawn. New league starts tomorrow right? Also, did they ever make pants for Templars?

Yes. No.

(technically templar can get pants from certain armors, but it's like 10% of them)

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Just play the pantsless templar, makes it easier to imagine yourself in the game.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I mean, it helps that I have the accent to go with it too.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

10bux posted:

The idea is an Inquisitor Templar:

Ascendancy Passives, Inquisitor:
100% increased Critical Strike Chance against Enemies that are affected by no Elemental Status Ailments [+45% to Critical Strike Multiplier against Enemies that are affected by Elemental Status Ailments]
Critical Strikes ignore Enemy Elemental Resistances [Non-Critical Strikes penetrates 10% of Enemy Elemental Resistances]

Passives Skill Tree:, Elemental Overload
40% more Elemental Damage if you've Crit in the past 8 seconds. No Critical Strike Multiplier.

Support Gems, Elemental Focus:
Supported skills deal more elemental damage, but can't cause elemental status ailments.

Weapon, Kongor's Undying Rage:
Adds (27–270 to 56–400) Physical Damage
(30 to 40)% increased Critical Strike Chance
+(15 to 20)% to all Elemental Resistances
Hits can't be Evaded
Your Critical Strikes do not deal increased Damage
You gain Onslaught for 2 seconds on Critical Strike

So the idea is use a Phys to Elemental conversion Skill, say Infernal Blow. Then use something to convert the rest of the physical, like physical to lightning, or you could even grab Avatar of Fire I guess. Basically, crank your elemental damage as high as possible. You will end up with, 100% critical strike chance which means every hit ignores Elemental Resistances, 40% more elemental damage, XX% more elemental damage from Elemental Focus, and 100% chance to hit. Essentially replacing crit chance and crit damage for a poo poo ton of more damage and ignoring all resistances.

Kongor's mace is just what made me think of the idea. Really, you could use Spell, which would probably be even better. In fact, with any elemental spell combined with: Inquisitor, Elemental Overload, Elemental Focus, and Controlled Destruction, you'd be gaining 40% more elemental damage, XX% more elemental damage, 40% more spell damage (lvl 20), and completely ignore mob resists. Of course it comes with a price, no damage bonus from critical strike multipliers and you cannot apply any status ailments, but you'd always be attacking a 0% resist mob and have a poo poo load more damage.

I guess another really big factor is if elemental penetration from curses and gems would be applied to a 0% resist mob, thus taking it into the negatives. I know that for a fact that monsters can go into the negatives by having more penetration that the mobs resistance, but I'm not sure how "Ignore Enemy Elemental Resistance," in this case.

tl;dr: If you combined Inquisitor (Templar Ascendancy Passives), Elemental Overload (new Keystone Passive), and Elemental Focus (new supp gem), you'd be gaining 40% more elemental damage, XX% more elemental damage, and completely ignore mob resists at the cost of no longer applying status ailments and receiving no bonus from critical strike damage.

I don't think this is a good idea, for a number of reasons. There is a bad antisynergy between high crit chance and elemental overload: once you approach high crit chance numbers, even at base 150% crit multiplier, elemental overload will cause you to deal less damage. And don't forget, crit chance nodes are also crit multi nodes, pushing it further against crit. For that level of investment, you may as well go crit.

I say pick one of the two: either go all in for crit inquisitor with non-Kongor's, or skip taking any crit, go for an RT-style build + Kongor's + elemental overload on any other ascendancy.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 3, 2016

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Budgie posted:

Just play the pantsless templar, makes it easier to imagine yourself in the game.

That's the plan!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I thought about using Elemental Focus for my Inquisitor but I feel like the defense you get from frozen/chilled enemies and the 50% increased damage you get from shocked enemies outweighs the more damage from the gem. I think I will level one for higher maps that roll Elemental Status Immunity.

Also, basic mechanics question that I am not 100% sure of. The Righteous Providence and Inevitable Judgement nodes on the Inquisitor tree, those apply if I am using a trap, mine, or totem right? If I am wrong, I want to know before I level a character.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

funmanguy posted:

I thought about using Elemental Focus for my Inquisitor but I feel like the defense you get from frozen/chilled enemies and the 50% increased damage you get from shocked enemies outweighs the more damage from the gem. I think I will level one for higher maps that roll Elemental Status Immunity.

Also, basic mechanics question that I am not 100% sure of. The Righteous Providence and Inevitable Judgement nodes on the Inquisitor tree, those apply if I am using a trap, mine, or totem right? If I am wrong, I want to know before I level a character.

should work fine

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kongor's is kinda bad. A tyrannical staff with vagan's flat damage and no other relevant mods will do similar dps with equal or faster attack speed and equal or greater crit. That's dirt cheap to make and you'll find better on .trade for a few c. Real crits will probably do you more good than a slightly ok vagan weapon with an onslaught chance.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think elemental focus would be best for fast casting fire builds, as the more multiplier would be superior to a few piddly little ignites. Shock and freeze, on the other hand, are straight up better.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Can't wait to burn stacks of jewelers/fusings on something, then realize I forgot to upgrade it to 20% quality.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I am going to go Inquisitor. I wanted to try shockwave totem and it seems like a good chance to do it. This is the tree I was planning on using for crit shockwave totem. The 5L would be Shockwave Totem, Faster Casting, Added Fire, Physical to Lightning, and Increased Critical Strikes. Not sure about crit strikes over inc/conc effect, but I want to test it at least. The 6th link would be an empower or something. Use dual wands or wand+shield until I get my 6th Ascendancy Point and take Instruments of Virtue. Switch to Dagger+shield and get 20% Cast Speed for 4 seconds every time I use whirling blades.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Kongor's + Elemental Overload does synergize around having a moderate amount of crit, rather than a Cast-on-Crit-build-95%-capped amount of crit - you only need to crit once every two seconds to get the benefit of both buffs, not constantly. Maybe Earthquake with P2L and WED, to really stack the More multipliers?

The idea works as a budget build, I think, but perhaps not best with the Inquisitor ascendancy. We've just been told that Arcing Blows, Lava Lash, etc. will get some elemental pen added to them. One could just go with support gem penetration and instead pick up leech/fortify/damage from the other melee/2h-oriented ascendancies instead.

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 3, 2016

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Sorry, I shouldn't have even mentioned Kongor's, it's just what I was first looking at when I thought of the Synergy. Obviously a spell that is already 100% elemental, and cannot miss, is going to be better than something you'll have to convert.

Phobophilia posted:

I don't think this is a good idea, for a number of reasons. There is a bad antisynergy between high crit chance and elemental overload: once you approach high crit chance numbers, even at base 150% crit multiplier, elemental overload will cause you to deal less damage. And don't forget, crit chance nodes are also crit multi nodes, pushing it further against crit. For that level of investment, you may as well go crit.

I say pick one of the two: either go all in for crit inquisitor with non-Kongor's, or skip taking any crit, go for an RT-style build + Kongor's + elemental overload on any other ascendancy.

Once you approach high crit numbers?

The whole point of the synergy is that you don't need any critical strike, or any critical strike multipliers. Sure, critical strike and critical multi nodes have been combined, and then nerfed at the same time. If your casting spells, your stuck by shadow and witch. Unless, your playing a build that scales its crit from 8-10%, the investment is pretty substantial and your limited to having to head towards the direction of certain clusters. Without needing any crit or status ailments, you'll be a lot more free to pick up defense, auras, utility, whatever. The other benefit, is that crit multi is a lot more dangerous since crit is rolled per attack, not per monster. That, combined with a Life Leech Rate based on your HP or ES, it's much safer to attack with continuous damage then big bursts.

But, I really wasn't thinking about not having to get crit nodes, I was thinking about ignoring enemy elemental resists.

Elemental resist is factored in after all the damage has already been calculated. If we attacked the same enemy, but my attack ignored elemental resists and yours didn't, you would have to do 4 times the amount of damage as me to equal the same amount.

By the way Monsters can go well above 75% resistance. Your damage of course cannot be reduced by any more of that amount, I'm just saying that's why completely ignoring it is so good. It could potentially be 150% elemental penetration.

For one Keystone, 2 supports and the 6 Ascendancy passives, you could essentially get 85% More + XX% More (they haven't said how much more damage the new on is yet) and 75% elemental penetration.

If you can use elemental penetration gems that are applied against an enemies ignored resists it would be even better.

10bux fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 3, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

dis astranagant posted:

Kongor's is kinda bad. A tyrannical staff with vagan's flat damage and no other relevant mods will do similar dps with equal or faster attack speed and equal or greater crit. That's dirt cheap to make and you'll find better on .trade for a few c. Real crits will probably do you more good than a slightly ok vagan weapon with an onslaught chance.

I don't think vagan sells staves with his mod, at least I never saw one.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

The Real Foogla posted:

He does, the staff in this build thread has his mod on it: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1478154 It's pretty rare to get it and I think it goes for a decent chunk of change because of that.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

ronya posted:

Kongor's + Elemental Overload does synergize around having a moderate amount of crit, rather than a Cast-on-Crit-build-95%-capped amount of crit - you only need to crit once every two seconds to get the benefit of both buffs, not constantly. Maybe Earthquake with P2L and WED, to really stack the More multipliers?

The idea works as a budget build, I think, but perhaps not best with the Inquisitor ascendancy. We've just been told that Arcing Blows, Lava Lash, etc. will get some elemental pen added to them. One could just go with support gem penetration and instead pick up leech/fortify/damage from the other melee/2h-oriented ascendancies instead.

Elemental overload in no way synergize with any build that has to pick up crit. There's no point in going crit without crit multi.

The Inquisitor Passives I'm referring to is designed for "one hitter quitters." Something like discharge. You stack crit multi, whatever MORE multipliers, increased burn damage, and elemental proliferation. Then, you hit the mob once which is a guaranteed crit, guaranteed status ailment, and guaranteed to ignore resists, that then spreads to any nearby monsters.

These builds have been around for a while, discharge being the most famous, and fire trap being the other popular one.

If your just a regular crit build, remember that Critical Strikes have a 100% chance of causing a status ailment, so after the first shot you're likely only going to be benefiting from the 45% crit multi, and 10% elemental penetration.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

The Real Foogla posted:

I think they meant "Vagan's crafted flat damage" not "Vagan's mod and flat damage"

10bux posted:

But, I really wasn't thinking about not having to get crit nodes, I was thinking about ignoring enemy elemental resists.
To ignore enemy resists a decent amount of time, you'll have to scale crit chance, and if you're doing that anyway you'll be better off without elemental overload

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I think they meant "Vagan's crafted flat damage" not "Vagan's mod and flat damage"

To ignore enemy resists a decent amount of time, you'll have to scale crit chance, and if you're doing that anyway you'll be better off without elemental overload

The only way to ignore enemy resist is with curses and elemental penetration.

If you crit a Monster with 75% Resist, and you deal 100dmg with 400% crit multi, your actual damage deal to that Monster will be 100.

10bux fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 3, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fwiw some dude on Reddit graphed out elemental crit poo poo with various ascendancy classes. Inquisitor hits par with assassin around 70?+ resist iirc and surpasses it around 80+.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Hauki posted:

Fwiw some dude on Reddit graphed out elemental crit poo poo with various ascendancy classes. Inquisitor hits par with assassin around 70?+ resist iirc and surpasses it around 80+.

He recalculated because his auras were incorrect with the inquisitor, it becomes even somewhere are 60-65% and then surpasses. It seems like inquisitor is best used for builds that have 1 source of damage and that damage does all three elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hauki posted:

If that's the graph I'm thinking of, it's garbage. No monster has more than 75 resistance and doesn't even use penetration gems.

• Locked thread