Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ozmunkeh posted:

I for one am shocked that a cheap remake of a much loved movie looks "a bit poo poo really".

Is $150 million cheap now? What a world we live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pierogi posted:

It's probably a soft reboot like a lot things now.

Most of the surviving '84 main cast are doing cameos but not as the original characters, seems like a hard reboot to me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Didn't you hear? It's clearly a low budget fan film parody because reasons

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Man Sony must be in dire straits if they're distributing fan films.

edit: also I'll be real happy when this era of awkward cringe comedy goes away.

It's actually based on this fan film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sXWts_S4o

Awkward cringe comedy gave us Spinal Tap and Seinfeld. Vastly prefer that to the era of Scary Movie and Adam Sandler.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BonoMan posted:

because it looks like one.

Nah that's not fair. A fan film might have a good joke or two in it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I liked it.

Y'all sexist.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Asiina posted:

I liked it.

Y'all sexist.

If serious:

gently caress off.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BonoMan posted:

You are taking this way too personally.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

$150 million? What did they spend that on? Jesus.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Peanut President posted:

Man Sony must be in dire straits if they're distributing fan films.

edit: also I'll be real happy when this era of awkward cringe comedy goes away.

"Fan film" was the first thing that came to mind, yeah. I chuckled at the blonde's reaction to the car, "is it the wig or the hat", and ghost punching, but most of the jokes and effects fell flat to me. The character interactions are what could save the movie, so I'll just wait for reviews.

EDIT: The last part could have been funny but they just had to include a "That's gonna leave a mark" line.

EDIT: Actually, I might watch it just to spite the people writing the terrible YT comments.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 3, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I dunno, it looked kind of alright to me. A watch when it's on Netflix kind of movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno, it looked kind of alright to me. A watch when it's on Netflix kind of movie.

That's some pretty faint praise you're damning it with there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's hoping the VFX team do a poo poo ton better on the film than they did on the trailer. That's usually the case but those ghosts, especially the slime-barfing one, were atrocious.

Also Sony gives me little hope.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Who is the male Sigourney Weaver for this one?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It's good that it goes for a fairly different visual style, like a low rent Tim Burton. At the very least, it seems like they're putting a decent amount of thought into the world they're making based on this feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VayXii8HtyE

It looks like it has the set-pieces, and much like the original, the """Scares""". However, this film will live and die on it's comedy, be it slapstick or banter. And at this point, Paul Feig is a wild card on whether he will deliver, and co-writer Katie Dippold (who did a bunch of Parks and Rec plus The Heat) is similarly not a surefire thing. Add to that the fact that it is a tentpole for Sony, a studio that brought us Amazing Spiderman 2. A film so hacked together and utterly destroyed by desperate executives I think they might be subservient to Disney now.

Despite all that, it's super weird to look at Paul Feig as Pharmacist Sanders.

With his secret blend of 11 Drugs and Vitamins.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Rurea posted:

Who is the male Sigourney Weaver for this one?

Liam Hemsworth

That was disappointing, I was excited before seeing that trailer :(

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I really, really hope the new Ghostbusters is awesome. Not just because I'm 100% going to see it and I want it to be worth my time/money, but also so that all the people who have been hating on it so much will have to shush.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

He was originally announced as the Janine, but considering the trailer shows him being possessed, yeah, he's probably the Dana as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It reminded me of Goosebumps, which I liked.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Peanut President posted:

You are taking this way too personally.

Nah, I'm not taking it personally. The trailer didn't even really do anything for me. But the "lol that's looks low budget" is just so fedora-neckbeard-look-at-me-being-edgy that it has to be called out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's some pretty faint praise you're damning it with there.

I'm weird in that I believe there is a middle ground between great and terrible movies. Some movies are just okay, and that's okay.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I hope that's just a really lovely trailer like the first Days of Future Past one, because that looked horribly disappointing. I didn't like the way the ghosts looked especially. They look all CGI ghost person with no unique look. They looked like the dead army from Return of the King with not that much better effects. No distinction between ghosts outside maybe the big tall one. The best part of the original was how different all the ghosts looked. These looked cheap.

Melissa McCarthy twisting her head around with a goofy blank look on her face was slightly amusing though. But that's just a reference to a better movie so it's not even clever.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 3, 2016

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I'm hopeful. It looks like the cast has good chemistry and the few bits of interplay are nice. (Plus, I dig what McKinnon's doing there. Also, I dig McKinnon in general.) The bigger question is the scope and the VFX, and obviously since the movie's still 4.5 months away from release, there's plenty of work left where that's concerned.

I'm probably going to see it, because I even saw loving Pixels in the second-run theater to see if it was really that bad, but I'll wait for Trailer 2 to make bigger claims about quality.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Sir Kodiak posted:

Haha what? $150 million? Ok that's funnier than anything in that trailer.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BonoMan posted:

Nah, I'm not taking it personally. The trailer didn't even really do anything for me. But the "lol that's looks low budget" is just so fedora-neckbeard-look-at-me-being-edgy that it has to be called out.

Mhmmm, mhmm. A trailer that was nothing but references and high school production "comedy" with half-rear end props and lovely cgi doesn't look like a low budget fan film. I'm glad I've got you on the case.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 3, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think I may just not a fan of Paul Fieg's brand of humor. Too loud, too broad, too abrasive. I remember liking Bridesmaids alright, but Spy and The Heat both looked completely antithetical to what I enjoy in both trailers and clips of full scenes.

I'll just check out until reviews, I guess, then try to discern from those if I'd enjoy it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Spy's great, it has Jason Statham cussing everybody else out.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I rarely see comedies in the movie theater because they just tend to disappoint. I enjoyed Spy.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Most of the surviving '84 main cast are doing cameos but not as the original characters, seems like a hard reboot to me.

What's stopping that Harold Ramis cameo? :ghost:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 3, 2016

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Wrong Hemsworth.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Peanut President posted:

Mhmmm, mhmm. A trailer that was nothing but references and high school production "comedy" with half-rear end props and lovely cgi doesn't look like a low budget fan film. I'm glad I've got you on the case.

wrong those neon ghosts rule you drool

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I giggle at parts of it and unlike most comedy trailers the jokes weren't something I just flat out hated but just didn't really did anything for me. So I'm hopeful.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mierenneuker posted:

What's stopping that Harold Ramis cameo? :ghost:

I'd place 50/50 odds on that happening, actually.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The first scene in that trailer is exactly the same as the first scene in Ghostbusters where they approach the lady ghost in the library, except there's barf now.

People get possessed by the evil ghost like in the first movie except there's barf now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm a big fan of all these ladies but yeah, it looks really bad to me.

Then again Sony makes bad trailers.

Then again Sony makes bad movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love what I see in the trailer more than I like the actual trailer.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I figured nu-Ghostbusters was going to be bad but that trailer just blew away all my expectations.

It's going to be really bad, that wasn't even remotely funny and I don't buy that these women are supposed to be a bunch of dorks that shoot proton beams at ghosts.
Not to mention that it just looks like a slightly higher budgeted Ghostbusters SNL skit.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
HE IS VIGO! You are like the buzzing of flies to him!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Deakul posted:

I don't buy that these women are supposed to be a bunch of dorks that shoot proton beams at ghosts.

???

What is stopping you from buying this

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love all the people involved in the Ghostbuster film but wow it looks terrible. I had some high hopes for it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PBS Newshour posted:

???

What is stopping you from buying this

I dunno, just something about them.
I might be too ingrained with the original cast to picture anyone else as Ghostbusters but I have my doubts that these women will have the same charm and chemistry with each other that the original cast had.

• Locked thread