Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I traded my Spearow for a Farfetch'd in Vermillion.

same. level 5 piece of poo poo wasnt doing me any favors. so long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
am I misremembering or did they change something with the coffee guy? I remember having to talk to him to proceed before but on the rerelease I just walked past :confused:

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

crunk dork posted:

am I misremembering or did they change something with the coffee guy? I remember having to talk to him to proceed before but on the rerelease I just walked past :confused:

i think the coffee guy only blocks you if you havent delivered the parcel to prof oak otherwise he just stfus to the side

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Ya but I thought his tutorial on how to use pokeball was mandatory for some reason

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

crunk dork posted:

Ya but I thought his tutorial on how to use pokeball was mandatory for some reason

I don't think so

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

You have to talk to him in FR and LG, and possibly yellow but I don't remember.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i didn't have to do the tutorial in yellow. i went straight to the shop, delivered it, caught some poo poo, and then when i headed to viridian city he yelled something at me and ran away. maybe because i had already demonstrated my pokeball proficiency.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pokemon go is... a no go

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
im going on vacation to a cabin this weekend and going to play DS and drink 151 beers to celebrate Pokemon

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

the old man caught a rattata once but i did not receive it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

crunk dork posted:

im going on vacation to a cabin this weekend and going to play DS and drink 151 beers to celebrate Pokemon

there are far more than 151 pokemon.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

GameCube posted:

there are far more than 151 pokemon.

This weekend gen 1 is the only one that mAtters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Replaying Gen 1 I'm seriously floored at how huge this GameBoy game is, compared to wwhat I remember playing at the time (nothing but Super Mario Land, over and over again)

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
They made use of like every bit of memory they had available. That's why there's so many glitches. It's really cool from a programming standpoint

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

every pokemon glitch tells a wonderful story. i love them all.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

also the fact that game freak was just some video game fans who started out making a fanzine and then decided that maybe they had some good video game ideas. how loving cool is that.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

GameCube posted:

also the fact that game freak was just some video game fans who started out making a fanzine and then decided that maybe they had some good video game ideas. how loving cool is that.

GameCube, are you serious? that is very cool

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bolverkur posted:

GameCube, are you serious? that is very cool

game freak was the name of the magazine, and it was also the name satoshi signed on his letters to famitsu, according to wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

omg

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

On the right is issue number 13 of Game Freak, a fanzine about video games from the early 1980s that was chiefly edited by Satoshi Tajiri with illustrations by Ken Sugimori. This, of course, is the same Game Freak that later became a developer and invented the Pokemon series -- Tajiri designs/executive-produces the games, and Sugimori drew all 151 original Pokemon himself.

Game Freak the fanzine lasted from 1981 (when Tajiri was just beginning college) to circa 1986, by which time both chief contributors had enough professional magazine work to quit the doujinshi scene.

The 28-page zine, mostly written longhand in Tajiri's loopy handwriting, offered advanced strategy and tactics for arcade games; this issue I found teaches me all about getting high scores on Gaplus, the overlooked (and extremely difficult) Namco arcade shooter.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Average Bear posted:

They made use of like every bit of memory they had available. That's why there's so many glitches. It's really cool from a programming standpoint

I hate that big image saying why gen1 is bad cuz the game is a fuckin miracle

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Replaying Gen 1 I'm seriously floored at how huge this GameBoy game is, compared to wwhat I remember playing at the time (nothing but Super Mario Land, over and over again)

Famicom very quickly going from 3 screens of Donkey Kong to Mario 1 to Mario 3 is so nuts to me

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

elf help book posted:

Famicom very quickly going from 3 screens of Donkey Kong to Mario 1 to Mario 3 is so nuts to me

Pretty sure the CIA invented crack cocaine in the time between DK and Mario 1, coincidence???

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

elf help book posted:

did you read this yet. it's an interview with the guy who designed the nes, who is relatively unknown despite being a big freaking deal http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nes-creator-masayuki-uemura-on-the-birth-of-nintendos-first-console

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GameCube posted:

did you read this yet. it's an interview with the guy who designed the nes, who is relatively unknown despite being a big freaking deal http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nes-creator-masayuki-uemura-on-the-birth-of-nintendos-first-console

I'm going to now

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

GameCube posted:

I havent. Thanks

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

elf help book posted:

I hate that big image saying why gen1 is bad cuz the game is a fuckin miracle

All of those things actually make the game good.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

GameCube posted:

Good read.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

GameCube posted:

On the right is issue number 13 of Game Freak, a fanzine about video games from the early 1980s that was chiefly edited by Satoshi Tajiri with illustrations by Ken Sugimori. This, of course, is the same Game Freak that later became a developer and invented the Pokemon series -- Tajiri designs/executive-produces the games, and Sugimori drew all 151 original Pokemon himself.

Game Freak the fanzine lasted from 1981 (when Tajiri was just beginning college) to circa 1986, by which time both chief contributors had enough professional magazine work to quit the doujinshi scene.

The 28-page zine, mostly written longhand in Tajiri's loopy handwriting, offered advanced strategy and tactics for arcade games; this issue I found teaches me all about getting high scores on Gaplus, the overlooked (and extremely difficult) Namco arcade shooter.

This is amazing.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

All of those things actually make the game good.

Actually it is bad. Pokemon is only good from gen 4 onwards

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

qnqnx posted:

take this poo poo to games, the aids infested shitheap where poo poo like this belongs you poo poo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

don't feed the trolls :rolleyes: report and ignore.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

qnqnx posted:

:flip:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

take this poo poo to games, the aids infested shitheap where poo poo like this belongs you poo poo

what's the matter, afraid of the truth?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

:staredog:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Caught a Lv 29 dugtrio in diglett tunnel when my next strongest Pokemon is a Lv 20 Oddish. This is true power

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dugtrio was a monster in my LeafGreen nuzlocke last year.

Edit: but he was one of the 4 who died to victory road. RIP.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 4, 2016

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

In Training posted:

Caught a Lv 29 dugtrio in diglett tunnel when my next strongest Pokemon is a Lv 20 Oddish. This is true power

Those are killers. Good if you can catch one, but drat if you can't beat them. Can't escape! Can't escape!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

Those are killers. Good if you can catch one, but drat if you can't beat them. Can't escape! Can't escape!

He had 1 HP and was asleep and it still took me about 15 poke balls, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

In Training posted:

drat I gotta try this

• Locked thread