Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

PowderKeg posted:

I really need some context here.

Maybe they're just a fan of Harvey Birdman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

SpliffClavin posted:

The duck is right behind you dude. Maybe you'd be better at killing ducks if you didn't carry a baby everywhere.

I lost it at this. That duck is like, "gently caress this guy, how you gonna shoot me with a baby in one arm?"

Hatrocious
Jan 1, 2013
At a lull in the entertainment the man looked at me and smiled.
“Your face is familiar,” he said, politely. “Weren’t you in the Third Division during the war?”
“Why, yes. I was in the Ninth Machine-gun Battalion.”
“I was in the Seventh Infantry until June nineteen-eighteen. I knew I’d seen you somewhere before.”
We talked for a moment about some wet, gray little villages in France. Evidently he lived in this vicinity, for he told me that he had just bought a hydroplane, and was going to try it out in the morning.
“Want to go with me, old sport? Just near the shore along the Sound.”
“What time?”
“Any time that suits you best.”
It was on the tip of my tongue to ask his name when Jordan looked around and smiled.
“Having a gay time now?” she inquired.
“Much better.” I turned again to my new acquaintance. “This is an unusual party for me. I haven’t even seen the host. I live over there ——” I waved my hand at the invisible hedge in the distance, “and this man Notch sent over his chauffeur with an invitation.” For a moment he looked at me as if he failed to understand.
“I’m Notch,” he said suddenly.
“What!” I exclaimed. “Oh, I beg your pardon.”
“I thought you knew, old sport. I’m afraid I’m not a very good host.”

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

There's so much confusion and projection here.

ROBINHOOD

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
http://imgur.com/0N0QiAs

This is from my sister in law. I've never hated her more.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Some goon did a good sarcastic response to these along the lines of: You are proud of being straight? Great!

When did you learn you where straight?
Were you scared to come out to your parents as straight?
Were you scared you would lose friends that learned you were straight?
When did you decide to come out of the straight closet?
Were you afraid of being assaulted for being straight?
Were you bullied for being straight?

No? You never had to think about any of this? That's because you were born straight, just as you are born gay.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Quad posted:

There's so much confusion and projection here.

ROBINHOOD

Arkansas: erotic capital of the US

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Something something Jesus sucks or whatever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Drugs and theft didn't exist 50 years ago.

Also this "walk to the field" concerns me..

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Soviet Commubot posted:

I see it all the time on Facebook, I grew up in a very rural area and lots of people have latched onto redneckery as their only real identity. It's a constant stream of poo poo like a picture of a super nice cabin with "share if you'd rather live here than in the city" or a bonfire with "share if you'd rather do this than go to a nightclub". Since rural communities have been slowly drying up and blowing away their whole lives I guess they feel like their identity is threatened.

The weirdest for me are the posts about cowboys mixed in. I grew up in Michigan and our rednecks are way more like Canadian ones than Texans. The cliche is a guy in flannel, a tchook, jeans and drunkenly careening down deer trails on a snowmobile, none of which is all that cowboy-ish. I guess it's a bit like Canadian and Australian racists posting American right wing memes, domestic meme production isn't prolific enough so they need to get it elsewhere.

Hey, I have this girl on my friends list too! She's my niece's boyfriend's sister and she's very nice, but I swear next time I see her post something from Cute 'n' Country or Just Country Girl Things, I may strain my eyeballs from rolling them.

The best part is...I don't think she ever goes outside and really does anything. Most of the people who post stuff like this don't really get out. Hell, I live in the bay area, about the most prissy environment there is, I mean we're talking people standing in line for two hours to eat a mediocre ice cream sandwich because it's really trendy right now. Yet the people that live here are more likely to get outside and work or play than she is. We may not bale hay or ride tractors, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't either.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Leavemywife posted:

More like Leavemybrother.

Nice avatar btw.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Drugs and theft didn't exist 50 years ago.

Also this "walk to the field" concerns me..

gently caress you old lady! My Grandfather left home when he was 12 to get away from his drunk abusive parent's, worked on a farm until he was 18, was drafted into WWII, and then worked in a Marble Query until he was 75. He died 11 years later.

He didn't want that for my father, and my father didn't want that for me. We sure as gently caress don't want to go back to "the good old days" when children were forced to leave their homes to work on farms.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Maggie Fletcher posted:

The best part is...I don't think she ever goes outside and really does anything. Most of the people who post stuff like this don't really get out.

That's the thing about the whole "I'm a ~true cowboy~" mindset--few of them loving are. Or even come close. They've average joes that have for some reason developed an us-versus-them mentality where they see anything "city" to be too hoity-toity for them, and instead embrace and celebrate all the things that make rural poverty great--spouse abuse, child endangerment, tobacco use, alcohol abuse, drunken driving, teenage pregnancy, poor financial decision-making, irresponsible firearm use, etc.

"LIKE AND SHARE IF YOUR A TRUE REDNECK COWBOY!!!1"

Like dude Ted we grew up next door to each other. You're not a cowboy. You work in an insurance office. You use take your gun down to the range once a year at most and the only time you ever go near cows or horses or ~wild open spaces~ is when you're driving the backroads in your enormous bro truck, whipping empty beer cans at road signage. There's no reason to celebrate growing up in a rundown mobile home, getting the poo poo kicked out of you (or worse) by your drunk stepdad, going to the poorest school in the state, and watching your mother trade food stamps for cigarettes and lottery tickets.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

That's the thing about the whole "I'm a ~true cowboy~" mindset--few of them loving are. Or even come close. They've average joes that have for some reason developed an us-versus-them mentality where they see anything "city" to be too hoity-toity for them, and instead embrace and celebrate all the things that make rural poverty great--spouse abuse, child endangerment, tobacco use, alcohol abuse, drunken driving, teenage pregnancy, poor financial decision-making, irresponsible firearm use, etc.

"LIKE AND SHARE IF YOUR A TRUE REDNECK COWBOY!!!1"

Like dude Ted we grew up next door to each other. You're not a cowboy. You work in an insurance office. You use take your gun down to the range once a year at most and the only time you ever go near cows or horses or ~wild open spaces~ is when you're driving the backroads in your enormous bro truck, whipping empty beer cans at road signage. There's no reason to celebrate growing up in a rundown mobile home, getting the poo poo kicked out of you (or worse) by your drunk stepdad, going to the poorest school in the state, and watching your mother trade food stamps for cigarettes and lottery tickets.

The best part is the "Cowboys" in Australia. :cripes: every time I see one.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gridlocked posted:

The best part is the "Cowboys" in Australia. :cripes: every time I see one.

You want reparations how about we put you back into slavery , what are you going to do hell most of you can't even educate yourselves . I think you forget your own race sold your ancestors into slavery it was the white man who freed you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think you forget your own race sold your ancestors into slavery it was the white man who freed you.

Don't concern yourself with who purchased them and what happened in-between, though.

LoB, I don't envy your curse

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Brawnfire posted:

They seem to forget or don't know the 1st Slave owner in America was BLACK!!! So start collecting from yourselves FIRST before you turn to White People!!! Check you History, fools!!!

If she cld read maybe she would

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Soviet Commubot posted:

I see it all the time on Facebook, I grew up in a very rural area and lots of people have latched onto redneckery as their only real identity. It's a constant stream of poo poo like a picture of a super nice cabin with "share if you'd rather live here than in the city" or a bonfire with "share if you'd rather do this than go to a nightclub". Since rural communities have been slowly drying up and blowing away their whole lives I guess they feel like their identity is threatened.

The weirdest for me are the posts about cowboys mixed in. I grew up in Michigan and our rednecks are way more like Canadian ones than Texans. The cliche is a guy in flannel, a tchook, jeans and drunkenly careening down deer trails on a snowmobile, none of which is all that cowboy-ish. I guess it's a bit like Canadian and Australian racists posting American right wing memes, domestic meme production isn't prolific enough so they need to get it elsewhere.

ugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this. This is all my Facebook stream is.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Sometimes I have to fight the urge in thinking that maybe these dumbass rednecks deserve to be screwed around by the rich because they believe in all the nonsense they've been fed.

But then I realize they vote and it screws me over as well.

Can we have a benevolent dictator

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If she cld read maybe she would

It's like napping in a sunbeam

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It was mine too until I blocked my sister. Seriously, we grew up 20 miles outside of DC.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh I'm gonna go hang out in the woods? Better put on a lot of foundation, blush, lipstick and super-thick eyeliner. And my best pearl earrings!

I've never hunted but there's no way it's cleaner than camping out, right?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Krispy Kareem posted:

The funny part will be if he ever tries to build another platform like Minecraft and can't find good help because everyone knows he'll keep everything for himself.

That's that weird part. He's still a young guy. In 10 years he might want to create something completely new, but none of his old collaborators are going to want anything to do with him without really really good contracts. He didn't have to share his new wealth, but not doing so was pretty short sighted.

I can't believe im agreeing with farooq but you can't actually think this will happen right? look at loving brad mquaid. His name should be synonymous with golden parachute. He created everquest and sold it to soe for big bucks but at least everyone got to keep their jobs. Then He made vanguard because idiots can't take off the rose colored glasses and see how much better 2nd gen mmos are to first. His promise was it was going to be more like everquest. He had a disastrous launch because he is an idiot and thought he could write off buggyness poo poo like he did when he had the only mmo on the block in 3d. Which is rightfully a death sentence in the mmo genre. His response was to sell everything to soe and not tell his employees then when they came into work he had security stop them in the parking lot and hand them their pink slip with out even giving them the tiny courtesy of showing up himself. Now go google pantheon and tell me that idiots won't be chomping at the bit to work with notch and get screwed over again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, there so many drugs in the country. My wife's family doesn't even have a Mexican restaurant within a 40 mile radius - but cocaine? There's so much cocaine.

I'm a little surprised there isn't more meth. Maybe there's a correlation between Mexican restaurants and meth.

artsy fartsy posted:

Oh I'm gonna go hang out in the woods? Better put on a lot of foundation, blush, lipstick and super-thick eyeliner. And my best pearl earrings!

Her skin is clear and cheeks are rosy because all of that healthy living and pearls go with everything. Check. Mate.

snergle posted:

I can't believe im agreeing with farooq but you can't actually think this will happen right? look at loving brad mquaid. His name should be synonymous with golden parachute. He created everquest and sold it to soe for big bucks but at least everyone got to keep their jobs. Then He made vanguard because idiots can't take off the rose colored glasses and see how much better 2nd gen mmos are to first. His promise was it was going to be more like everquest. He had a disastrous launch because he is an idiot and thought he could write off buggyness poo poo like he did when he had the only mmo on the block in 3d. Which is rightfully a death sentence in the mmo genre. His response was to sell everything to soe and not tell his employees then when they came into work he had security stop them in the parking lot and hand them their pink slip with out even giving them the tiny courtesy of showing up himself. Now go google pantheon and tell me that idiots won't be chomping at the bit to work with notch and get screwed over again.

Yeah, yeah, I admitted what I said was dumb. Maybe it'd matter in a different industry. If Notch made his fortune at a movie studio or in winning a sports championship and acted this way, he probably would have issues finding good help on later projects. But video games? He's probably more generous than the boss at EA or other studios.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I've learned the decent rednecks are the ones that ride horses to the local bar and pit roast pigs. Incidentally they don't seem to give a poo poo about posting stupid images on Facebook.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scathach has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Mar 3, 2016

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

artsy fartsy posted:

Actual game hunting is dirty, drawn out and you look like hell after hanging out in a bush/tree and field cleaning your kill. That's very much a product shot for some random thing that someone turned into a meme for COUNTRY GURLS & CAMO AMIRITE?! I do like the 2nd person slightly off shot that's basically hanging out at the business end of her shotgun. :v:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, yeah, I admitted what I said was dumb. Maybe it'd matter in a different industry. If Notch made his fortune at a movie studio or in winning a sports championship and acted this way, he probably would have issues finding good help on later projects. But video games? He's probably more generous than the boss at EA or other studios.

brad wasn't exactly ea or even soe levels big he was always an "indie" developer who happens to have john smedly on speed dial for when poo poo hits the fan. I think I would rather work for ea then mquaid.

I think the main problem is so many people went into a comp sci degree because "I get to make video games for a living :downs: " That c++ programing jobs are essentially worthless and they accept being treated the way they are because it means a job or no job.

Scathach posted:

I've learned the decent rednecks are the ones that ride horses to the local bar and pit roast pigs. Incidentally they don't seem to give a poo poo about posting stupid images on Facebook.

Have you heard the song reagen by killer mike? :smug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

snergle posted:

brad wasn't exactly ea or even soe levels big he was always an "indie" developer who happens to have john smedly on speed dial for when poo poo hits the fan. I think I would rather work for ea then mquaid.

I think the main problem is so many people went into a comp sci degree because "I get to make video games for a living :downs: " That c++ programing jobs are essentially worthless and they accept being treated the way they are because it means a job or no job.

The :frogbon: in aspiring video game industry people is strong. My friend's son said that he wants to be a video game tester when he grows up. I corrected him and let him know that what he probably wants to be is a video game reviewer, so he better work hard in English class and get good at writing.

God, six year olds are stupid.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

someone tell them this already happened

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Crap, I'm still going down this rabbit hole :(

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

artsy fartsy posted:

On one end of the spectrum there are the people that go all in, dressing light, sleeping under the stars, and living off of powerbars for days at a time while out in the middle of nowhere with a bow and some arrows. You positively will be filthy after days of that, field dressing your kill, and carrying it back to the truck over miles of uneven terrain.

On the other are the people that buy gear because of the brand and how stylish it is and go sit in a folding chair with a case of beer, waiting for a deer to come up to the feeder they set up last month so they can kill it while it's eating with one shot from a limited edition BrowningTM rifle with custom RealTreeTM accents. This activity is less strenuous and dirty than a night with your bowling league.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Leavemywife posted:

I always find it amazing, the idea that anyone would choose to be gay, when they could have an easier life, free from bigotry and prejudice. If it was a choice, why on earth would you choose it, unless you were some kind of masochist?

I also like to believe that a person's prejudice comes about when they apply their own life experience and thought process to others, without adjusting for the fact that everyone is different, I.e. they believe that gay people fail to suppress, or choose not to suppress, the same gay thoughts they have themselves.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Mar 3, 2016

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

It was mine too until I blocked my sister. Seriously, we grew up 20 miles outside of DC.

The whole near fetishization of rural life thing done by suburbanites is such a strange thing to me, especially as the things they glorify is largely the stuff that I really don't miss.

I grew up in a really, really rural area but most of the people I know who constantly post that poo poo are from stable middle class families whose "farm house" is surrounded by fields that were sold to some big agribusiness concern decades ago. The rural poor that I know, like my entire family, are generally split into two groups: chilled-out weed smokers and coked-out white supremacists. Figuring what percentage is what would be very depressing.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's going to reduce his pool of potential candidates and make it far harder for him to put together a good team. Reputation means a ton and then there's that silly bell curve thing; if you reduce your potential pool of employees you end up with a lower likelihood of getting good people. A great many people would see Notch on a project and just go "lolnope" without some sort of ironclad contract that doesn't allow for Hollywood accounting.

I think you underestimate how many talented working artists there are in the world. There is no shortage of incredibly talented people who want to make video games, and just need the money or venue to do so.

That said, all of them should have had ironclad contracts in the first place. The expectation that Mojang would be an endless paradise for all to maintain Mincecraft for as long as their whims would let them was an unrealistic one. This mis-match is more closely related to how nerd culture tends to expect too much of those around them emotionally, that everyone be overly invested in one another to an almost unhealthy degree - they require that everyone should band together in a sort of brotherhood or family.

And sometimes these unrealistic expectations seem to follow into the business world. Et viola: Notch and Mojang exploded at each other, because both sides failed to have the correct expectations from the start, and then further failed to communicate when they would have been able to resolve it.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Being a good boss is a skill that, from the sounds of things, he just plain doesn't have.

This I agree with, just because so many of his reactions seem so petty and hurt. That he can't understand why his walking away would cause grief and pain and instead spits it back ragefully at his former employees shows he doesn't really have the constitution to be someone who needs to lead. You have to be ok with people being pissed at you, or not liking you, if you're the boss. But the feeling I get from Notch is he's more concerned with wanting people to like him, than wanting to like himself, and it breeds as this petty insecurity he exhibits openly. These traits often make for a terrible leader who, if given power is just going to abuse it for their own selfish means, to feel better about themselves and fill the void of insecurity.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is a weirdly specific fetish.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Misread this as "candidates is a puppy", realized mistake, decided gently caress it and just read every "puppet" as "puppy".

Puppy new world order is a fine daydream.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I live in Montana. The majority of my friends spent their youth or adulthood dealing with livestock. Square dancing is still a thing here. I feel like I can talk about the cowboy lifestyle with some degree of accuracy.

This guy is a gigantic baby who is really into dress-up.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Otisburg posted:

At a minimum that baby should have hearing protecton. That is a weirdly staged photograph just for the sake of making redneckthingsplusbaby.jpg.

If you think about this image for more then two seconds you probably aren't the target audience. :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Even Willie Nelson is expressly opposed to bringing young people into the cowboy lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

You say that like Hogan would even be out of place in the current GOP candidate crop.