Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

There is a german bee for sale if anyone wants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

Just go and make them an offer. Worst they can do is say no.

I would... but the wife and I have a "1 motorcycle per year" agreement, and I've already violated that twice. Also, the 1 bike I have now is a Blackbird, so I'm not sure the VFR is an upgrade. The dealer is pretty friendly tho, so maybe I'll see if I can get at least a test ride out of them when it gets warm.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

blindjoe posted:

I am now the owner of a CB500f.
Thanks thread for the recommendations.

Hopefully I don't get too bored of it, but if I do, my wife can ride it!

Congrats! You probably won't get bored of it. Bikes own.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

blindjoe posted:

I am now the owner of a CB500f.
Thanks thread for the recommendations.

Hopefully I don't get too bored of it, but if I do, my wife can ride it!

I put 40k miles on my cbr500r and I can't say I was bored of it. Rock solid bike, and I'm sure the F is too. Just don't ride anything better! I test rode a Triumph Tiger 1200 and going back to the CBR was rough.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Might fly ride a bus down to baltimore for a new old stock 2014 honda cb1000r for only $7 grand - worth it? Im just so sick of dealing with used bikes. Had another full on craigslist disaster on Friday with a used speed triple and i just need.to.ride.

Voltage fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 2, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Voltage posted:

Might fly ride a bus down to baltimore for a new old stock 2014 honda cb1000r for only $7 grand - worth it? Im just so sick of dealing with used bikes. Had another full on craigslist disaster on Friday with a used speed triple and i just need.to.ride.

They're great bikes, they will handle anything you can throw at them with a "sure thing boss!" attitude. Take this corner 20mph faster than you ever could in your old bike? Sure thing boss! Power wheelie? Sure thing boss! Fun bike. Seat is a bit hard. I'd say it's worth it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Um.

Guys?

There's an RGV Gamma on eBay right now.

:getin:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This gets me from that listing:
Item condition:Used
“This bike is obviously used...”

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Is there a thread where people talk about things like top box luggage etc?
Or is that in the general chat thread.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

HotCanadianChick posted:

Welp, I may have a line on a new bike. My buddy that I bought my GL-1000 from just picked up an FZR600 in good nick for cheap - in fact, it was the same one my friend had bought, fixed up, and flipped for a profit last year, only to see that the guy he sold it to had put it up on craigslist earlier this week. It had been such a nice bike the first time he had it, that when he saw the ad, he rushed to buy it back (for less than he sold it to the guy for, as well). If it checks out and is in good shape (he said the first time he flipped it that it had been the nicest FZR600 he'd had through his hands), he's going to pass it on to me for the $900 he picked it up for, which is in my current 'cheap bike' price range - though a 600 supersport with clip-ons wasn't really what I had been looking for (I really don't like clip-ons and may see if I can swap on some flat bars after I get it). I may also have to track down a factory exhaust takeoff, to replace the (probably) annoyingly loud slip on it has now, but for the price and clean plastics, can't be too picky.

E: update on this, after checking it out, it's got a warped front rotor and a leaking fork seal, and one of the cylinders is appears to be going lean at higher throttle (dirty main jet most likely) so he's dropped the price for me to $800.
Also it's apparently got a fox shock and race tech forks and SS braided brake lines already, and a bunch of nuts are safety wired so it was probably some guys track toy at one point.

I daily ride an fzr pretty much in the same setup. Fairings are unobtainium and super expensive when you drop it and want to keep the bike pretty. I bought mine with emulators, Penske double clicker, and 3 extra wheels in great running shape for $2200 a couple years back and it's seen two trackdays so far and about 10k miles. I can't find a reason to get rid of it since I can only store / ride one bike now that I'm living inside the loop.

PM me or whatever if you have any questions.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

blindjoe posted:

Is there a thread where people talk about things like top box luggage etc?
Or is that in the general chat thread.
There used to be a touring thread but I think it got archived. Either of the question/discussion threads will be fine I guess.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

VERTiG0 posted:

I believe they just did a massive overhaul and it's ultra-refreshed for 2016.

I'm not really sure why you would get that over the FJ-09, though.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
I've just had a CB500X for the day as a loan bike (cb650 in for a valve cover gasket replacement), and I can't recommend it enough. For tall guys, I can't imagine a better beginner bike/commuter. Really comfy, feels like a supermoto, nice and torquey , gearbox is very slick, and I think it's a decent looking bike. Honestly if I could have a commuter-only bike I'd be considering it.

My only criticism (aside from the slightly anemic engine) is the stupid side stand. The peg to bring it down is BEHIND the footpeg, which means you have to put your leg at a really weird angle to bring it down.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 3, 2016

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm not really sure why you would get that over the FJ-09, though.

No idea but those Iron Butt dudes love love love FJRs. Plus you can get the whiz-bang suspension and other gadgetry on them now.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Barnsy posted:

I've just had a CB500X for the day as a loan bike (cb650 in for a valve cover gasket replacement), and I can't recommend it enough. For tall guys, I can't imagine a better beginner bike/commuter. Really comfy, feels like a supermoto, nice and torquey , gearbox is very slick, and I think it's a decent looking bike. Honestly if I could have a commuter-only bike I'd be considering it.

My only criticism (aside from the slightly anemic engine) is the stupid side stand. The peg to bring it down is BEHIND the footpeg, which means you have to put your leg at a really weird angle to bring it down.

I wish I went with the X instead when I got my R. It was my first bike and I thought I wanted a sport bike. I've since learned the X and Adventure bikes are what I want. That said, the R is a great bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Barnsy posted:

As you bring your foot up, use it to lift the footpeg. That should give you clear access to the stand peg, so you can just go up-down with your foot rather than twisting your leg out.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

As you bring your foot up, use it to lift the footpeg. That should give you clear access to the stand peg, so you can just go up-down with your foot rather than twisting your leg out.

Would have been a handy technique for today -_-

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

eggyolk posted:

As someone completely new to the process of buying a motorcycle on CL and can't even remember what a title or registration looks like, I have a ton of questions going in.

Do I need insurance before buying the bike or just to register it? How long does it take to get insured?
Is there any paperwork I should bring? MV-909? MV-999? DTF-802?
If I'm paying cash is there a procedure for making an acceptable bill of sale (receipt)?
Does the seller need to go to the DMV with me to change ownership?
Should I just go to a dealer since I don't know anything?

This is in New York City.

e: Found these helpful:
https://citybiker.wordpress.com/2007/05/10/buying-a-motorcycle-part-2-the-buying-process/
http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showthread.php?37215-Need-help-with-NYS-DMV-paperwork-for-purchase-from-private-seller

Hey, I'm also in the city. You need to bring a bill of sale. I've used this one and it was fine http://www.dmv.org/images/bill-of-sale.pdf and they need to sign the title over to you.

You cannot ride the bike legally without a plate. So get the title, leave it parked on the street, take your bill of sale, get your insurance and fill out the tax and registration forms and then go to the DMV. They'll give you a plate and charge you sales taxes (although they don't actually check that the amount on the bill of sale and tax forms match what you really paid so if you want to do some low level fraud it's on you) and then you can go back, put the plate on and you have seven days to get it inspected. This guy http://triboroughmotorcycle.com/home/ will charge you $10 for an inspection even though the state mandated charge is $6. He's also gruff and unfriendly but you need an inspection, not a friend. After that you're all set. If you want, you can sign up to have these guys http://www.nymstf.org text you whenever they see a motorcycle only checkpoint (cops are always nice enough if you have everything in order but it's still a pain).

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

I got an f650gs as my first bike- mostly because it offered ABS and could be used for ~~ADV~~ shenanigans and Starbucks cosplay. I love it- just know the DIY maintenance can be a pain- the 1150 and 1200s seem more straightforward when it comes to things like oil changes.

The Honda 500s and Ninja 300s are great bikes though- can't go too wrong with any of them. Honda 250s can be found with ABS too, I've seen lots at 2-4k.

Don't forget to budget for some good gear!

This is good and helpful if you're not already familiar. http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/

Kastivich posted:

Does anyone have first hand experience with a Duke 390? Would this make a good first bike? Im a bit concerned about the reliability of an Indian-built KTM.

Digital Jesus has one and I think Yuns has one.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I really, REALLY want to jump the gun and get the 2012 F800R I posted because it hits the right switches for me. At the same time I wanna wait and see what else pops out on the used market.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ElMaligno posted:

I really, REALLY want to jump the gun and get the 2012 F800R I posted because it hits the right switches for me. At the same time I wanna wait and see what else pops out on the used market.

Just when I said this a Fuckign 2014 F700GS with a million miles pops-up i mean gently caress.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ElMaligno posted:

Just when I said this a Fuckign 2014 F700GS with a million miles pops-up i mean gently caress.

35,000 miles isn't really all that much... A few months ago I stopped into an Iron Pony store to look around and they had a VStrom with somewhere in the neighborhood of 105,000 miles. Heck, my KLR had about 40,000 miles on it when I sold it, and it was running great.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

35,000 miles isn't really all that much... A few months ago I stopped into an Iron Pony store to look around and they had a VStrom with somewhere in the neighborhood of 105,000 miles. Heck, my KLR had about 40,000 miles on it when I sold it, and it was running great.

Yeah this. especially on a bmw adventure bike.

My drz has almost the same mileage. but on its third engine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

OSU_Matthew posted:

35,000 miles isn't really all that much

I bought my first Ulysses with that many miles, then I rode it to South Dakota, Texas, and Nevada on separate trips from Seattle.

ElMaligno posted:

Isn't the F700 an embiggened F650, and the F800 is a legit step up in size from that? Just something to think about.

Test ride a Ulysses

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh I know, its that now I have to travel one and a half hours north to go sit on this motorcycle and then think if the three hour bus trip is going to be worth it if I buy it. :v:

clutchpuck posted:

I bought my first Ulysses with that many miles, then I rode it to South Dakota, Texas, and Nevada on separate trips from Seattle.

Isn't the F700 an embiggened F650, and the F800 is a legit step up in size from that? Just something to think about.

Test ride a Ulysses

No an F700 and F800 have the same engine, the F700 is de-tuned a bit.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

It may actually be a sleeved down 800, I'm pretty sure that's what the F650 was before (but not before before, when it was a single). Or I'm just confused by BMW model number engine size obfuscation.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Linedance posted:

Or I'm just confused by BMW model number engine size obfuscation.

You're being confused by their model numbering, but it's definitely NOT your fault.

All the twin cylindered F-bikes are 800cc, with the 650 and 700 designations being detuned over the 800s.

More confusing was that the F650GS used to be a single cylinder 650cc.

Blame the BMW marketing department for this mess.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Linedance posted:

It may actually be a sleeved down 800, I'm pretty sure that's what the F650 was before (but not before before, when it was a single). Or I'm just confused by BMW model number engine size obfuscation.

The F700GS has a 798CC engine that pushes 75hp while the F800GS has a 798CC engine that pushes 85hp. Also the weight and tyre sizes are different.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ah so BMW's marketing decisions are every bit as baffling as the engineering ones.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Again, this is why bikes need to have cool names like "Hurricane" and "Firehawk" instead of stupid useless numbers.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

clutchpuck posted:

Ah so BMW's marketing decisions are every bit as baffling as the engineering ones.

In the age of the internet I really don't care, i can google poo poo and come up with their specks and stuff.

Sagebrush posted:

Again, this is why bikes need to have cool names like "Hurricane" and "Firehawk" instead of stupid useless numbers.

Das Feuer Habicht 800 Gasherd und Feuer Habicht 800 die Rasse Jetzt verfügbar!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
And the F650 prior to the F600 was also 798cc.

And the last generation of the air/oil cooled boxer motor was internally called the K2X and the latest generation of the transverse 4 cylinder is called the K4X and the F800 generation of parallel twins is called the K7X and the straight 6 is called the K48.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And the F650 prior to the F600 was also 798cc.

And the last generation of the air/oil cooled boxer motor was internally called the K2X and the latest generation of the transverse 4 cylinder is called the K4X and the F800 generation of parallel twins is called the K7X and the straight 6 is called the K48.

Obviously

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Introducing the 2016 CBR300Honda 2 wheel vehicle marketed towards newer riders who desire a slightly sporty seating position

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I wish they would bring back the Magna. Gimme a sporty V4 standard/cruiser with a square headlight and looks only its mother could love. Rode one today and wanted to bring it home with me. The carb was even easy to pull and clean! Easier than the concourse by a mile.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Barnsy posted:

Even for not-so-tall guys, the CB500X is the poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Who needs a sensible naming scheme when you have engineering.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ElMaligno posted:

Oh I know, its that now I have to travel one and a half hours north to go sit on this motorcycle and then think if the three hour bus trip is going to be worth it if I buy it. :v:

Dooooo it! I'm flying down to North Carolina here in a few weeks to do the same for an SV.

Bonus points if you ATGATT on the bus ride down

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

builds character posted:

Hey, I'm also in the city. You need to bring a bill of sale. I've used this one and it was fine http://www.dmv.org/images/bill-of-sale.pdf and they need to sign the title over to you.

You cannot ride the bike legally without a plate. So get the title, leave it parked on the street, take your bill of sale, get your insurance and fill out the tax and registration forms and then go to the DMV. They'll give you a plate and charge you sales taxes (although they don't actually check that the amount on the bill of sale and tax forms match what you really paid so if you want to do some low level fraud it's on you) and then you can go back, put the plate on and you have seven days to get it inspected. This guy http://triboroughmotorcycle.com/home/ will charge you $10 for an inspection even though the state mandated charge is $6. He's also gruff and unfriendly but you need an inspection, not a friend. After that you're all set. If you want, you can sign up to have these guys http://www.nymstf.org text you whenever they see a motorcycle only checkpoint (cops are always nice enough if you have everything in order but it's still a pain).

Thanks for the link. As someone who has never done this before, it sounds like the previous owner takes their plate after we finish the title and Transfer form. Correct?
Also, I used to live right by Triborough Motorcycles and remember them not looking happy at all when I'd poke my head around.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

eggyolk posted:

Thanks for the link. As someone who has never done this before, it sounds like the previous owner takes their plate after we finish the title and Transfer form. Correct?
Also, I used to live right by Triborough Motorcycles and remember them not looking happy at all when I'd poke my head around.

They should take their plate. 1. You need a bill of sale (like I said :colbert:), and 2. they don't have to complete the transfer form if the bike isn't a gift or sold below fair market value (neither of which is the case here no matter what you buy it for because it was listed on craigslist and you're a disinterested third party so even a good deal is still going to be FMV), so that one is just for you to complete and you should be able to use the information from the title to fill out the seller info part of it.

Yes, they're not friendly at all and I can't speak to their work but they're fast for inspections and convenient to a lot of places.

Supposedly this place is a quality shop but they're expensive and less convenient. http://www.speedmotorcyclesnyc.com/ Still, that's probably where I'd take my bike if I needed a shop to do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Has anyone here ridden the CBR300R? There's one near here for for $3,000, with ABS. I'm curious how the fit and highway comfort would be compared to a 2007 Ninja 250. I'm trying to convince myself to wait for a good deal on a CB500F, but this price seems pretty good.

I'm not too concerned about power, I've owned bigger bikes and the Ninja is adequate, I just want FI, ABS, and not something that's any worse on long highway rides.