Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Malcolm XML posted:

it's possible to do 3:1 and 4:1 actually lossless compression using software like lagarith but since hardware is ruled by cost we can't have nice things :negative:

Another issue is that lossless can never really guarantee any sort of reduction.E.g if your source data is random, it will not compress at all. You can't have your display hardware throw its hands in the air and proclaim that it'll drop a few frames because they couldn't be compressed sufficiently.

Lossless compression is nice and all, but if you want guaranteed results your algorithm has to be lossy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

El Scotch posted:

1.3 will handle 3440x1440 at 144+ iirc and 4k at 120.

Yeah whoops, was thinking we were on 1.3 already for some reason. Still can't wait until 1.3 becomes mainstream.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Ok my U2415 came in and I followed the calibration settings here by setting the brightness and contrast and rgb to what they calibrated their icc profile to and also activating said icc profile. In the display menu though there's a setting for "Gamma" with options "Mac" or "PC", what do I set this to? I thought the gamma was set by software/the icc profile. I mean I plan on using this monitor mainly with a PC but I also have a MacBook that I might want to plug into the monitor every now and then when it's convenient.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Decent price for this monitor? Was thinking of picking one up. Looks like TFT Reviews liked it.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-mg279q-27in-freesync-144hz-9d-110309-1516.htm

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

sellouts posted:

I will find out in a week but their return policy seems to be 0 risk.

Exactly.

Out of curiosity has the monitor arrived?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok my U2415 came in and I followed the calibration settings here by setting the brightness and contrast and rgb to what they calibrated their icc profile to and also activating said icc profile. In the display menu though there's a setting for "Gamma" with options "Mac" or "PC", what do I set this to? I thought the gamma was set by software/the icc profile. I mean I plan on using this monitor mainly with a PC but I also have a MacBook that I might want to plug into the monitor every now and then when it's convenient.

I think the "Mac" just sets gamma according to the Macintosh RGB color space, which to my knowledge, hasn't been an active standard for a long, long time. Just leave it on "PC" since the whole world runs on sRGB anyway.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Hi Jinx posted:

Another issue is that lossless can never really guarantee any sort of reduction.E.g if your source data is random, it will not compress at all. You can't have your display hardware throw its hands in the air and proclaim that it'll drop a few frames because they couldn't be compressed sufficiently.

Lossless compression is nice and all, but if you want guaranteed results your algorithm has to be lossy.

sure if you're sending over random data. dropping a frame here or there might be preferable

DSC is a stopgap until bandwidth issues over monitor cables is fixed by optical or active cables. it's like interlacing, it blows.

also there's bound to be motion issues and poo poo. if even a lil stuck pixel is annoying, imagine a degraded line of text

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 4, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hi Jinx posted:

Another issue is that lossless can never really guarantee any sort of reduction.E.g if your source data is random, it will not compress at all.
To be fair, I struggle to think of a scenario where the preponderance of video data would be near random AND where dropping a frame or two would matter (or even be noticeable).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DrDork posted:

To be fair, I struggle to think of a scenario where the preponderance of video data would be near random AND where dropping a frame or two would matter (or even be noticeable).

The HBO Video opening title.

Or anything that uses random noise for effect for that matter, which is more than you might think.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Malcolm XML posted:

also there's bound to be motion issues and poo poo. if even a lil stuck pixel is annoying, imagine a degraded line of text

To be fair, isn't DSC supposed to enable crazy poo poo like 8K@60Hz? To notice text artifacting at that resolution you'd need to be sitting 2 feet away from an 80" 8K monitor - and even then you'd only pick up on really nasty stuff like 4:2:2 encoding instead of 4:4:4. DSC is supposed to be way better than that.

Honestly, I couldn't see the effects of DSC on the VESA-published test images at all, and I was looking at some of the illustration for worst-case scenarios such as cleartype text.

(Go here: http://www.vesa.org/faqs/, scroll to DSC Faq, click the "here" link in the answer regarding test results, fill in registration form, access zip files of images and spreadsheets.)

I too would much rather have an affordable cable that can actually deliver all the bits to the display, but DSC really doesn't seem to be all that bad.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Hi Jinx posted:

Would you guys recommend a specific cable manufacturer for a 5m+ DisplayPort run?
As an alternative I was thinking of trying an optical Thunderbolt cable.

It's not exactly shocking but optical Thunderbolt does not work as a stand-in for a mini-DP cable.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Out of curiosity has the monitor arrived?

Yes it arrived and just got it set up. There's so backlight bleed but I don't notice it unless I choose an input that isn't active.

I am using the pip feature and got another 50 off of it from dell outlet so it's pretty good. I am going to see if they will do an exchange but I am very happy with it. My video card is not.

Also it's goddamn huge and ridiculous.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

sellouts posted:

Yes it arrived and just got it set up. There's so backlight bleed but I don't notice it unless I choose an input that isn't active.

I am using the pip feature and got another 50 off of it from dell outlet so it's pretty good. I am going to see if they will do an exchange but I am very happy with it. My video card is not.

Isn't it the best thing? Out of curiosity what card are you running?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm running a Radeon 6850

And yeah it's crazy. The picture in picture thing is really cool for my Xbox so I can watch tv while I have more room than before. I have a bunch of finance spreadsheets open for work that I can actually see all of. It's madness.

I don't know if I would spend 1200 on the highest end model when oled 1080 tvs are 1399 but for less than 500 this feels like an amazing upgrade. Especially when compared to my old apple Cinema Display that I sold for 280 on CL.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Looking to replace 1080p two monitors with a single one for dev work. Budget is around 1000.

My rig
7i-2600k
Z68
Radeon HD7800

First question, can I run 3440x1440 or 3840x2160 on this or do I need an upgrade? For dev/productivity is ultra wide 3440x1440 prefered over true 4k 3840x2160.?

Whats my best bank for buck for around 1000?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

sellouts posted:

Nice! Could you post pictures of the backlight bleed you're seeing, assuming that's why you're thinking of seeing if you can replace it. I ended up ordering a refurbished one earlier in the week when they had a 35% off sale and it arrived unexpectedly today. It was missing a backplate but otherwise seemed to be ok, though I could see backlight bleed at the corners so now I'm wondering if I should try to get it replaced too.

I've bought a number of Apple refurbished items over the years, and wow is Dell's refurbishment process underwhelming by comparison. The screen was somewhat smudgy/dirty, the monitor barely wrapped and with stand attached, nothing on the display panel itself like the new units get, and of course the missing backplate that should take all of 5 seconds for someone to confirm is present or provide a new one.

I'll try to spend Saturday or Sunday putting it through its paces though to figure out why it had been returned.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mine came expertly packed and smudge free with a backplate. It had padding around the screen and the display was fully covered.

The photo looks worse than it does to my eyes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

My new one had barely less backlight bleed than that picture, and all it really impacts on is my ability to play Alien Isolation in a dark room. Anything more and you can't really see it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bpower posted:

Looking to replace 1080p two monitors with a single one for dev work. Budget is around 1000.

My rig
7i-2600k
Z68
Radeon HD7800

First question, can I run 3440x1440
Dev work no problem. I have that same video card and play 1-3 year old games at 3400x1400 after I turn off the bullshit like motion blur and depth of field.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah my concern is more that given how it was packaged, if anything could have happened during shipping or whether 90-days will be enough time to find something wrong with it. The backlight bleed doesn't look much or any worse than that though.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

SourKraut posted:

Yeah my concern is more that given how it was packaged, if anything could have happened during shipping or whether 90-days will be enough time to find something wrong with it. The backlight bleed doesn't look much or any worse than that though.

Bought the same refurb Dell U3415W. It was well packaged and came without a scratch on it and the backlight bleed is similar to the posted picture. The hardest part is getting use to how huge the monitor is.

I can't say if 90 days would be enough time to notice any problems but I'm very happy with the monitor.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to disable the led light on a U2415? I've found the menu setting to turn the diode off when the monitor is on but it turns itself back on when I turn my computer off and it's quite annoying.

e: also why does my computer keep setting the refresh rate to 59Hz? I mean I know it's not a huge difference but the fact that it won't save my settings and reset back to 59 is super annoying.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 5, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to disable the led light on a U2415? I've found the menu setting to turn the diode off when the monitor is on but it turns itself back on when I turn my computer off and it's quite annoying.

e: also why does my computer keep setting the refresh rate to 59Hz? I mean I know it's not a huge difference but the fact that it won't save my settings and reset back to 59 is super annoying.

No idea on how to turn off the LED, I've not needed to do so on mine since the LED is so dim that it does not bother me at all. And the 59Hz thing is a windows reporting bug, it's actually 59.94 and Windows rounds down every time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I asked this a while ago, but you people with the U3415W are you using the DP or HDMI2 port? If it's DP, are you having issues with the monitor waking up from sleep when turning the computer on? What are you using for a GPU?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 6, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes I use DP and no I don't have issues waking from sleep. I'm using a radeon 6850.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-up3017q-4k-uhd-oled-monitor/

30", 3840 x 2160, OLED, 120Hz, $5000. How long do you suppose it'll be before the price comes down to something approaching affordable?

Plus they say that to get the 120Hz, you'll need DisplayPort or Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C. Are there any video cards due out soon that have USB-C outputs?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

30", 3840 x 2160, OLED, 120Hz, $5000. How long do you suppose it'll be before the price comes down to something approaching affordable?

Plus they say that to get the 120Hz, you'll need DisplayPort or Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C. Are there any video cards due out soon that have USB-C outputs?

DP is the standard for desktop cards, TB 3 is a laptop thing.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

2-3 years, probably. Then again, OLED has been "2-3 years away" for like a decade.

There are no current video cards that can push 4k@120Hz, from either a GPU horsepower or a simple transport side. A 980Ti can get close if you're willing to turn a bunch of stuff down, but you'd realistically be looking at SLI'd 980Ti's or better if you wanted to game on it.

Now if you just wanted to play some Valve games or whatever...yeah, much easier to do. But you'd still need DP 1.3 or TB (doesn't really need to use USB-C if they don't feel like it) for the bandwidth, and neither are supported by any video card right now that you'd actually want to use (there are some iGPU-driven TB options, and that's about it). The next set of cards dropping in a few months should support DP 1.3, though, so at least that would answer that part of the problem.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

Has anyone addresses the wear/tear of things like the start bar which is on the screen constantly for OLEDs?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

sellouts posted:

Has anyone addresses the wear/tear of things like the start bar which is on the screen constantly for OLEDs?

Couldn't they just have some RAM and a little flash drive on the monitor, which would simply add up which pixels and subpixels had been lit in its lifetime, at which intensity and and for how long, for every frame, and then calculate the negative of that to display in order to remedy the burn-in?

3840 x 2160 x 3 x 8 would be just under 200 megs for a plentiful 64-bit value for each subpixel...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cockmaster posted:

It'll be niche for the next 2-3 years and once OLEDs reach mainstream it'll only be for cell phones.

In the meanwhile we'll get 144hz 4K or 60hz 4K with HDR.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

It'll be niche for the next 2-3 years and once OLEDs reach mainstream it'll only be for cell phones.
OLED's have already been used in cell phones for years now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DrDork posted:

yeah, I was gonna say. hell, sony even had a pda with an OLED screen in loving 2004!

this is admittedly more niche than the fact that all of samsungs mobile devices use them, but.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

DrDork posted:

Goddamn they're nice, too. Had the Galaxy Nexus, movies and sports looked brilliant on it. The IPS screen on my current device is nowhere near as good.

They do like to burn in over time though, so the worries about taskbar burnin seem justified.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

DrDork posted:

Small screen OLED was easy. Its big screen OLED's with high resolution that is hard to do still which is a big part of the reason why the cost so much and took so long to show up despite industry promises they'd be cheap as hell and huge with demos 10+yr ago or so though they started getting mentioned in the late 90's in industry conventions with talk of ~10" screens showing up in 2003.

A few years ago (2014) Samsung was saying cheap OLED monitors/TV's are probably coming 2017/2018 FWIW. Seems to be a reasonable thing to expect with how things are going.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Small screen OLED was easy. Its big screen OLED's with high resolution that is hard to do still which is a big part of the reason why the cost so much and took so long to show up despite industry promises they'd be cheap as hell and huge with demos 10+yr ago or so though they started getting mentioned in the late 90's in industry conventions with talk of ~10" screens showing up in 2003.

A few years ago (2014) Samsung was saying cheap OLED monitors/TV's are probably coming 2017/2018 FWIW. Seems to be a reasonable thing to expect with how things are going.

Sure, but this was in response to someone talking about when OLEDs go mainstream they'll only be used in cell phones. They are mainstream, but maybe that's what the person was trying to say.

Given that you can buy a (n admittedly very expensive) monitor, or notebook, or some pretty high res tablets with OLEDs, in addition to some of the most popular smartphones on the planet, it's safe to say that OLED is already mainstream. You can buy a 4K OLED TV for under two thousand, and you can find a 1080p model for substantially less when it's on sale.

Anyway, I totally agree that we'll see some actually affordable monitors starting sometime next year, especially if Apple switches to OLED screens for the iPhone in 2017, which will make everyone start talking about the tech.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I dunno if you can get the 4k model for under $2k. My 1080p set was $2k when I got it back in January. However, its very nice.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Coredump posted:

I dunno if you can get the 4k model for under $2k. My 1080p set was $2k when I got it back in January. However, its very nice.

Sorry, you're right. I have no idea why I wrote two when I meant three.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I just got my yearly bonus and it's burning a hole in my pocket so I'm looking to upgrade from a Samsung PX2370.

• Primarily gaming and coding.
  • My GPUs are 2x670GTX.
  • Looking for 27" w/ a high refresh rate

I'm leaning toward the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q. Do you guys have any other recommendations at or below that price point? (I considered the Acer XB270HU but I can't seem to find it in stock anywhere at a decent price.)

Have any of you had any experience with Newegg's open box items? They have the PG279Q for $599 as an open box item but I have heard bad poo poo about Newegg's customer service as of late. Sans that, I can pick it up at my local MicroCenter for $799.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

pocket pool posted:

I just got my yearly bonus and it's burning a hole in my pocket so I'm looking to upgrade from a Samsung PX2370.

• Primarily gaming and coding.
  • My GPUs are 2x670GTX.
  • Looking for 27" w/ a high refresh rate

I'm leaning toward the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q. Do you guys have any other recommendations at or below that price point? (I considered the Acer XB270HU but I can't seem to find it in stock anywhere at a decent price.)

Have any of you had any experience with Newegg's open box items? They have the PG279Q for $599 as an open box item but I have heard bad poo poo about Newegg's customer service as of late. Sans that, I can pick it up at my local MicroCenter for $799.

Avoid Newegg for monitors, especially open box. Either get it from Amazon or Microcenter, both are good about returns due to issues like backlight bleed.

You will probably need a new video card too, at least soon because 1440p needs a fairly large amount of VRAM and GTX 670s in SLI only have 2GB. New GPUs are coming out in the next few months so it's probably best to wait for that and buy a GTX 1070 or whatever when it comes out.