Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I dont worry about reasonable calorie deficits on trips less than a week. Anything over that I start to do a much better plan on counting calories and rationing them out for the days ahead. I usually only like to cook dinner too when hiking, during the morning I just want some coffee and a quick bite and then head out and start hiking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
When I first started out, I would only have a packet of tuna for lunch and a packet of indian for dinner straight with trailmix and clif bars in between, roughly 1500cal/day, then wondered why I felt like poo poo by the third day. If you're just doing a long weekend, it's possible without supplemental calories, but you're making it harder on yourself. Eventually I started dehydrating (found a nesco for $15 on craigslist) and now eat 2500-3000cal/day and the difference has been huge. It takes a lot of trial and error to find good recipes that work for you, but it's worth it in the long run. This is the best meal I've ever had in the wilderness, and most of their other stuff is on point too.

Can anybody recommend hikes or regions in California that are particularly good for late May?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
This winter I started taking a 20-25lb pack on even short day hikes to get used to walking with weight on. Through this I discovered that being able to stop and make coffee/tea every two or so hours really helps me pace myself and slow down.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

When I first started out, I would only have a packet of tuna for lunch and a packet of indian for dinner straight with trailmix and clif bars in between, roughly 1500cal/day, then wondered why I felt like poo poo by the third day. If you're just doing a long weekend, it's possible without supplemental calories, but you're making it harder on yourself. Eventually I started dehydrating (found a nesco for $15 on craigslist) and now eat 2500-3000cal/day and the difference has been huge. It takes a lot of trial and error to find good recipes that work for you, but it's worth it in the long run. This is the best meal I've ever had in the wilderness, and most of their other stuff is on point too.

Can anybody recommend hikes or regions in California that are particularly good for late May?

California is big! Anywhere in particular? North/south/inland/coast/desert/mountain?

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Tigren posted:

California is big! Anywhere in particular? North/south/inland/coast/desert/mountain?

Was thinking of finally getting to the redwoods in the north near Humboldt.

Also, just got confirmed for the High Sierra Trail for the week of July 4th. Good to know staying up til 4am repeatedly trying to send a fax through endless busy signals was worth it. How does SEKI still do a first-come-first-serve system, especially one that starts at midnight?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

bongwizzard posted:

... being able to stop and make coffee/tea every two or so hours really helps me pace myself and slow down.
Now why would you want to do that? :buddy:

A few years back I was going numb and almost passing out for lack of food coming down from double summits and such. I've since started eating more, but I still haven't managed low intake recovery after hikes. I'll do my 8--14mi day hike, 800--1500m ascent, and if I have tofu and vegetables that evening, I just want to die the following day and can't get any work done. If I have a pound of Thai, pizza, or burgers and tater tots, plus a double martini, I wake up feeling good the next day.

This is one of the reasons I'm kinda scared about trying to do an overnight. :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Also, just got confirmed for the High Sierra Trail for the week of July 4th. Good to know staying up til 4am repeatedly trying to send a fax through endless busy signals was worth it. How does SEKI still do a first-come-first-serve system, especially one that starts at midnight?

Is it first come first serve or do they just pool all the stuff that comes in one day and then it's luck of the draw out of that pool?

I put two requests in yesterday as well and am waiting for a response. Took all day but I'm not terribly concerned...one trailhead isn't super popular and while the other is Bubbs Creek, if I don't get it then I'll work something else out. Last year I got a permit easily without trying to do it first thing on the first day available, I suspect they are just swamped for hte first day or two

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Levitate posted:

Is it first come first serve or do they just pool all the stuff that comes in one day and then it's luck of the draw out of that pool?

I put two requests in yesterday as well and am waiting for a response. Took all day but I'm not terribly concerned...one trailhead isn't super popular and while the other is Bubbs Creek, if I don't get it then I'll work something else out. Last year I got a permit easily without trying to do it first thing on the first day available, I suspect they are just swamped for hte first day or two

Word from the ranger was they process them in the order they come in.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Well as long as I get my High Route permit...

Gardiner Basin would be real nice but I'm shooting for a permit over the Labor day weekend (but going in Friday) so it might be more popular and it's going in on a popular trail

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Eat enough food when you're out in the backcountry you weirdos.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
bookmarked, will contribute later. I know shoes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Entered for my enchantment permits. Keeping my fingers crossed but I'm not expecting much. Went with core enchantment as my primary, colchuk and snow zones as backups. I figured I would aim for late June/earlyJuly as most of the climbing routes won't be open yet.

Goddammit I just need to get into the mountains. Getting very restless.

Mastershake, didn't you just do this last year or the year before?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Verman posted:

Entered for my enchantment permits. Keeping my fingers crossed but I'm not expecting much. Went with core enchantment as my primary, colchuk and snow zones as backups. I figured I would aim for late June/earlyJuly as most of the climbing routes won't be open yet.

This will be my sixth or seventh year that I've entered. I really hope this is the year.

I'm ready to get out and do some camping and hiking. Spring for me though is the worst season. I'll take winter over a muddy dirty damp spring anytime. Just have to be patient enough for the ground to dry out and then I can start getting out there again on the weekends.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Now why would you want to do that? :buddy:

Because my natural walking pace is like 3-4mph and with even a light pack that kills my hips and feet.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Houston REI doing a garage sale next weekend. I know there was a goon here that's been to them before. Whats generally the best time to show up for a decent spot?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

SaltLick posted:

Houston REI doing a garage sale next weekend. I know there was a goon here that's been to them before. Whats generally the best time to show up for a decent spot?

That would be me and I'll probably be there. To make the first 40, any time before 2-3am is usually fine, although we roll in around 9-10pm because otherwise i'm just sitting around at my house waiting to go there anyway. By the way, if you're looking for an almost-unused Arcteryx Women's L Alpha SV, head straight to the clothing rack because it'll be there and it'll probably go pretty fast.

I'm not sure what I'm after this time around. I could use a new pair of boots, but I'm a size 12-13 and I'm kind of picky about my footwear so I don't have high hopes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Discounts on Arc'Teryx hasn't been great at my Atlanta REI garage sales. All I want is a Beta AR like everyone else.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Josh Lyman posted:

Discounts on Arc'Teryx hasn't been great at my Atlanta REI garage sales. All I want is a Beta AR like everyone else.

Depending on your size, there's a chance to get them at Sierra Trading Post each season line change at $399 or less. I got my Beta AR pants there for $200. They had jackets there as well. Sometimes they don't allow coupons to be used when they initially go up, but when I checked STP was allowing coupons on their remaining Beta AR jackets.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

I've never been up there, but Redwood Hikes is a good website for info.

Redwood Hikes posted:

In general, the further north you go, the better the redwoods. To really experience the redwoods I'd suggest visiting at least three parks:
  • Jedediah Smith State Park has the most scenic redwood forest. Take the half-mile walk around the cathedral-like Stout Grove, drive up Howland Hill Road (a one-lane dirt road, not for RVs), and if you're up for a longer hike, try the five-mile Boy Scout Tree Trail.
  • In Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, the 11-mile Miners' Ridge and James Irvine loop is the best all-day redwood hike. The Brown Creek Trail is also very impressive.
  • The 30-mile-long Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt Redwoods is the classic redwood drive. I highly recommend the four-mile side trip down Mattole Road (a narrow, bumpy paved road through some of the world's tallest trees), which leads to half-mile walks in the Rockefeller Grove and also in the Big Tree Area.
Currently, the tallest tree in the world is the Hyperion Tree in Redwood National Park. The tree is not accessible by trail and its location is kept secret to prevent visitors from trampling the soil around the tree. The tree is on a hillside, not in the Tall Trees Grove.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Verman posted:

Mastershake, didn't you just do this last year or the year before?

This may be a dumb question, but does how does Enchantment Lakes rank as a destination? I'm a 14 hour drive one-way, which is a bit much for how short it seems as a hike. Is it mostly just a thing for residents of the pacific northwest? I mean, I love the hell out of the Tahoe area, but I doubt anybody is coming down from Seattle for a weekend.

Tigren posted:

I've never been up there, but Redwood Hikes is a good website for info.

Great reference. I drove through the redwoods on my way to the Lost Coast and have been needing to see more ever since.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I think Serbia Trading Post has some for like $40 right now.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

:lol:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
On the top of food chat, I freaking love Nut Butter squeeze packs. Way easier to deal with what can be a very messy food and it just hits the spot sometimes. Its a nice high fat boost.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

This may be a dumb question, but does how does Enchantment Lakes rank as a destination? I'm a 14 hour drive one-way, which is a bit much for how short it seems as a hike. Is it mostly just a thing for residents of the pacific northwest? I mean, I love the hell out of the Tahoe area, but I doubt anybody is coming down from Seattle for a weekend.

Great reference. I drove through the redwoods on my way to the Lost Coast and have been needing to see more ever since.

Enchantments are ridiculously awesome but not worth a 28 hour round trip drive. If you're ever in the area in season, it's worth checking out though. The overnight permits are in very high demand and short supply, but the through-hike can be as short as 18 miles if you want it to be, so if you're in decent shape it's a day hike.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

I haven't been yet. I just moved here in august so this will be my first attempt at getting permits. Plenty of people make a multi day trip out of it so yeah I would consider it a worthy destination. 28 hours of driving seems like a lot though, I would be comparing a flight/car rental but gas is cheap right now and if you like driving ...

From what I've read, heard and seen its a pretty big deal from a scenery perspective and its popular enough that it requires a permit lottery for overnights to keep it from being overcrowded. You can always day hike without an overnight permit but even though it's only 20 something miles to do the loop, it's not an easy 20 miles. Part of the draw is its proximity to seattle which is a blessing and a curse.

The photos make it look awesome though and I'll be up there this year one way or another to check it out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think enchantments are so popular because they're incredibly easy to get to from Leavenworth, which is also a quick trip from Seattle. I'm still annoyed my trip there failed in seeing the real lakes but even Stuart lake was quite pretty

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
They're really pretty, but there are lot of really pretty places around. I'm local to the place, and I've never fussed with a permit because there are tons of places around here just as pretty without all the bullshit. If you've got a huge boner for the enchantments just through hike it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Mt Rainier NP in the spring, once the White River road has opened to the north side but before all the snow has melted, is my favorite place in Washington state. Amazing snowshoeing, beats just about anything else for me.

In the summer when the snow melts it's still amazing, many people think it gets even better with the wildflower meadows. I've been getting more into trail running lately and my big goal (for like next 3-4 years) is to do a single push run of the 93 mile Wonderland Trail around the mountain.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

Prices so low, it's a crime against humanity.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

I've found peanut m&ms to be pretty drat good at just pure calories when on extended camps, though I don't typically do through-hikes with the need to count ounces.

Also, if you haven't looked at the Channel Islands for a camping trip, look it up. I must say Santa Cruz in spring / early summer is one of my favorites, and am going to Santa Rosa this April.

Two bad things about santa cruz though: not great for like week-long visits due to the conservancy owning 70ish% of the island, and scorpion ranch can get very crowded on popular weekends. (Prisoners doesn't have running water ... or more than 2 trees, but is much quieter.)

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Does anyone have recommendations on lightweight binoculars suitable for long day hikes or short backpacking trips? Ideally would be nice to use them to spot wildlife and scout out terrain.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Looks like I got my permit for doing Gardiner Basin over labor day weekend...my credit card was charged for it, just haven't received the official email :v: (fake edit: just got the email)

Thought that one might be harder to get because the Bubbs Creek trailhead is more popular since it provides access to Rae Lakes which is a very popular area. My plan is to briefly visit the south most Rae Lake before heading to Sixty Lakes Basin and over into Gardiner Basin. Should avoid the crowds.

I think that application got in before my other one for doing part of the Sierra High Route...would be surprised if that one was rejected since Copper Creek isn't as popular of a trailhead. The whole permit process makes me antsy sometimes because dammit I want to do these trips really bad...but I don't think SEKI backcountry really gets the amount of traffic Yosemite or something does.

I think I still need to come up with another trip or two to fill in late September, October, maybe even November. If anyone has some cool and good ideas to plan for in the area, preferably 2-3 day trips. Thinking maayyybe doing a quick but tough 2 day trip also out of Bubbs Creek but going up to Sphinx Lakes, then over the Great Western Divide and looping back to the Bubbs Creek trail and back to the trailhead. Other ideas are maybe a 3 day trip out from Courtwright Reservoir up to some of the areas around there...maybe even into Black Cap Basin but I'm not sure 3 days is long enough for that.

Unfortunately I'm probably putting off an Idaho trip yet again but who knows, I could maybe swing something in the Sawtooths in late season if I have time, just hard to add multiple days of travel onto a trip unless you're going for a long time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So I'm looking for a good trip that's:

• In August or September
  • California, Nevada, or southern Oregon (we're starting from the Bay Area, and we could drive a ways)
  • 5-6 nights of backpacking, ideally
  • easy to get permits for, because we're not too organized
  • moderately difficult, without technical climbing or huge summits every day

I think these are pretty broad criteria, so for a little more about our group: Probably the 4 of us who did the JMT in 2013, plus another friend. We like the Sierra Nevada a lot but I'm sure other places are worth checking out. The group's been flaky lately and we haven't gotten any plans together because of other commitments, but I might be able to talk some or all of them into it. Any suggestions, or lists to check out?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Man, this permitting system is kicking my rear end again. I'm trying to find a permit for HST, but under the category of "Exiting from Mt. Whitney Trail" I can't find anything for HST or for starting at Crescent Meadows. They don't make this easy.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hungryjack posted:

Man, this permitting system is kicking my rear end again. I'm trying to find a permit for HST, but under the category of "Exiting from Mt. Whitney Trail" I can't find anything for HST or for starting at Crescent Meadows. They don't make this easy.

Starting at Crescent Meadows means you're starting in SEKI, so you need to fill out one of their permits and fax it in.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/2016-Wilderness-permit-application-Final.pdf

Choose High Sierra as your entry trail.

But...I don't know if you need to get another permit from Inyo, it's kind of unclear on SEKI's website. Their description of the HST describes climbing Whitney and exiting via Whitney Portal, but they also mention on their site needing permits from Inyo to hike in the Mt Whitney area. Neither site seems to be very clear on this.

I'd probably just call SEKI and Inyo and see what they say. I would kind of think that your HST permit from SEKI would be enough but since they don't explicitly say I'm not sure.

e: this line from Inyo's Mt Whitney page makes me think all you need is the permit from SEKI:

quote:

If your trip begins in another forest, Yosemite, Sequoia or Kings Canyon National Parks, then Inyo National Forest will accept the permit issued by the agency where your trip begins

But that's under just the visiting Mt Whitney section and not the exiting over Trail Crest. So...still probably best to give Inyo Forest a call to ask about it.

It'd also be bullshit to have to drive to the permit station near Bishop to get that permit, then drive back to SEKI to start on the west side, so I really think all you need is the SEKI permit.

edit again: Wait wait! Found this in SEKI's trip planner document:

quote:

Permits obtained for the western trailheads from Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are valid to climb Mount Whitney
and exit via the Mount Whitney Trail - no extra permits are required. Keep in mind that the hike is much longer. For example, if
you start on the High Sierra Trail from Crescent Meadow, you must travel nearly 80 miles across the Sierra Nevada to exit at
Whitney Portal

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/2016-Wilderness-Trip-Planner-Final.pdf

So yeah, just use the SEKI permit form and fax it in and that should get you all the permitting you need

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 4, 2016

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

HarryPurvis posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on lightweight binoculars suitable for long day hikes or short backpacking trips? Ideally would be nice to use them to spot wildlife and scout out terrain.

I went with some cheap compact Bushnell 10x32 on amazon for like $20-30. I keep a bigger set in my truck and carry these on some of my hikes. They're basic and cheap so if something happens to them I'm not too worried. They actually helped me spot some mountain goats from roughly a half mile away on a hike last year.

I don't always bring them with me but they're cool to have and scout for wildlife.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

HarryPurvis posted:

Depends how much money you want to spend. I got a used pair of these Bushnell 7x26's for stargazing while backpacking/hiking, and they are outstanding. For daytime terrestrial use, I would imagine you could get by with something much cheaper. These are a bit less than a pound - I doubt I would want to get anything heavier.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My birdwatching buddy has switched over to mononoculars to save weight and get more bang for the buck optics wise. I find them hard to use without a rubber eye cup but ymmv.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If you aren't hiking around wearing a night vision monocle over one eye and a zoomable thermal scanner over the other you're doing it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

If you aren't hiking around wearing a night vision monocle over one eye and a zoomable thermal scanner over the other you're doing it wrong

But how much does that weigh?