Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Holy poo poo, they play with unbanned dexterity cards.

And some of them do play with mana burn, while others say nostalgia for that dumb old poo poo and batches is stupid whilst still pretending that the nostalgia for 1993 is the reason they're playing the format instead of wanting their own bitcoiner clubhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Is Brain in a Jar going to make Restore Balance a tier one modern deck ???

Nah man, it's all about Day's undoing on your opponents end step.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Yeah but they don't play with them as they're meant to be played. You have to choose a permanent then hit it with the flip, it doesn't just kill everything it touches.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did someone say they were going to the Magic Madhouse London event on Saturday?

I'm going to the Birmingham one. I can't afford 2 in a month with hotel costs too. It is a lot yea but they all are now. Cash prizes did start at £50 for a reasonable record in Manchester though. 5-3s did it I think.

DoctorOozy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 3, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Brain in a Jar actually can't cast 0 mana spells.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

No, because you can't ever cast a zero-cost spell off it

You sacrifice it to Gargadon with the ability on the stack. There's no intervening if clause, so it tries to put a counter on, fails, then lets you cast a spell with cmc equal to the number of counters on it when it was last on the battlefield, which is zero.

Not that I think it will actually make Gargadon Balance good, but hey.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Shortest Path posted:

You sacrifice it to Gargadon with the ability on the stack. There's no intervening if clause, so it tries to put a counter on, fails, then lets you cast a spell with cmc equal to the number of counters on it when it was last on the battlefield, which is zero.

Not that I think it will actually make Gargadon Balance good, but hey.

Have fun cascading into your 2 cost spell.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It was nothing.

http://magic.wizards.com/innistradmap?=ce

The countdown ended to reveal Brain in a Jar.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

at least it gets us english brain in a jar

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Looks like we're getting more cards this weekend:

quote:

STITCHER'S LAB

You step into the lab, and instantly the stench of rot and decay washes over you, seeping into every pore. The crackle and hum of electricity underscore piercing screams, and foul shadows stir in cages, watching you with too many eyes. You are drawn deeper into the lab, seeking to make sense of the horrors you see before you. The Stitcher's Lab has opened! Explore its mysteries and unlock its secrets as clues to source of the madness on Innistrad are revealed throughout the weekend.

There are 3 empty spaces next to Brain in a Jar as well.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

at least it gets us english brain in a jar

A multi-day countdown that leads to a bulk rare is pretty stupid marketing. Just don't have the countdown, or start off with something that's actually good.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Somebody will probably datamine it and post the goods by the start of the weekend anyways.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I know exactly what it does. The problem is the huge number of players who will assume "this Oubliette was O-ringing my Rancor, so it comes back and I get it back, right?"

Then you tell them it doesn't. This isn't hard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You will probably not be surprised to learn its just a map that looks a bit like the original Harry Potter website circa 2001, except shoddier and with literally nothing to actually interact with.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

You will probably not be surprised to learn its just a map that looks a bit like the original Harry Potter website circa 2001, except shoddier and with literally nothing to actually interact with.

um, excuse me

it has one thing to interact with and 2 more things to interact with in the future

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

um, excuse me

it has one thing to interact with and 2 more things to interact with in the future

To clarify, I don't consider a hyperlink to a different page a "thing to interact with." (despite the fact that yes, technically you interact with every link you ever click on).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 4, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Sealed Leagues make me want to play MTGO again; but then I realise it's like 30 AUD a pop :(

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DoctorOozy posted:

I'm going to the Birmingham one. I can't afford 2 in a month with hotel costs too. It is a lot yea but they all are now. Cash prizes did start at £50 for a reasonable record in Manchester though. 5-3s did it I think.

I'm judging the Birmingham event :)

Also Bologna this weekend :dance:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I guess there's some kind of random poo poo with this that's tied into the weekend GPs or something.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Sealed Leagues make me want to play MTGO again; but then I realise it's like 30 AUD a pop :(

it's cool how they managed to convince so many people that competitive sealed is the least bit fun

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Reminder that Hearthstone lets you play limited for 5% of the price that MTGO does.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

A multi-day countdown that leads to a bulk rare is pretty stupid marketing. Just don't have the countdown, or start off with something that's actually good.

Brain in a Jar rules and if you don't think so, you are stupid!

Yes I know, that's insulting, but it's also true.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
93/94 is fine, if you don't have the resources to play 92/93 (Richard's own Alpha playtest cards only).

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

little munchkin posted:

Reminder that Hearthstone lets you play limited for 5% of the price that MTGO does.

Yeah you'd think MTGO would be cheaper then paper now days but no.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah you'd think MTGO would be cheaper then paper now days but no.

The cheaper version is Magic Duels, which is not really Magic at all but that's what's happening so.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Would there be a big uproar if future sets were no longer redeemable, but mtgo prices went down?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If they got rid of redemption and made mtgo cost competitive to hearthstone they might even make more money than they do now while growing interest in the paper side of things.

Of course that would be change that makes sense and not something WOTC likes to do.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

rip george woods

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sickening posted:

If they got rid of redemption and made mtgo cost competitive to hearthstone they might even make more money than they do now while growing interest in the paper side of things.

Of course that would be change that makes sense and not something WOTC likes to do.

Maybe it can't get any more popular or the servers will explode.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Would there be a big uproar if future sets were no longer redeemable, but mtgo prices went down?

Once you've ripped off the bandaid of tying online cards to physical ones through redemption lots of things become possible: Phantom constructed events where you just bring a decklist, subscription based revenue, scalable entry fees, you name it.

But once again, :airquote: the secondary market.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Brain apparently belonged to an Abby Normal.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Once you've ripped off the bandaid of tying online cards to physical ones through redemption lots of things become possible: Phantom constructed events where you just bring a decklist, subscription based revenue, scalable entry fees, you name it.

But once again, :airquote: the secondary market.

This is even more transparent because the large secondary market people on MODO are mostly store owners.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

http://imgur.com/a/pdlgK

guess we're finding out the other 11 cards this weekend probably

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Well we did just have some phantom constructed queues (the first?), but yeah, they weren't bring your own list.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think this got handed out at GP Melbourne too.
http://imgur.com/gallery/jTHu3Yx

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Saw this on Facebook. Looks interesting.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
lol escape games are so loving stupid and white

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tanon posted:

Saw this on Facebook. Looks interesting.

So it's a less good Lobotomy but costs 1 less.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

It feels like I say this almost every cycle, but Investigate might be the dumbest.. ability? ability word? whatever the gently caress they call it that i've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

uggy posted:

lol escape games are so loving stupid and white

Actually they're cool and white

• Locked thread