Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

BiggerBoat posted:

Ultron's plan still makes no god drat sense to me. What was the deal with creating the sky island anyway?

He was going to drop it and simulate a world-killing asteroid, killing off humanity and letting his children take over the ruins.

It's not exactly a complex plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Polaron posted:

He was going to drop it and simulate a world-killing asteroid, killing off humanity and letting his children take over the ruins.

It's not exactly a complex plan.

And then what, it hits the earth at several hundred kilometres an hour and shakes things up a little? Picking something up then dropping it wouldn't actually do that much damage. If he really wanted a simple plan, he should have gone out to the asteroid belt and redirected something big enough to be a K-Pg event sized impact. That would have had the added bonus of being basically unstoppable.

That impactor was something like 10 kilometers across, and it hit the Earth moving at 30-50 kilometers per second. If you were orbiting above the impact site when it hit, you'd have been able to see through the crust to the mantle. There's no way Ultron could have accelerated something to that kind of speed, but it would be a lot easier to gently nudge something already going that speed to a new course.

Memento has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Feb 29, 2016

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

He was impatient, and that plan would have taken somewhere between months and decades to execute.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Memento posted:

And then what, it hits the earth at several hundred kilometres an hour and shakes things up a little? Picking something up then dropping it wouldn't actually do that much damage. If he really wanted a simple plan, he should have gone out to the asteroid belt and redirected something big enough to be a K-Pg event sized impact. That would have had the added bonus of being basically unstoppable.

That impactor was something like 10 kilometers across, and it hit the Earth moving at 30-50 kilometers per second. If you were orbiting above the impact site when it hit, you'd have been able to see through the crust to the mantle. There's no way Ultron could have accelerated something to that kind of speed, but it would be a lot easier to gently nudge something already going that speed to a new course.

It also had boosters on top to give it much, much more velocity than simply dropping it, IIRC.

Also, stopping meteors is pretty much half of every Avengers mission. Tony would have about ten different plans to redirect or block the asteroid days before it hit the earth.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Who What Now posted:

It also had boosters on top to give it much, much more velocity than simply dropping it, IIRC.

Also, stopping meteors is pretty much half of every Avengers mission. Tony would have about ten different plans to redirect or block the asteroid days before it hit the earth.

There was a story in the comics where an Earth-sized asteroid was headed out way, so NASA shot the Hulk at it and he literally punched it apart in orbit...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Canemacar posted:

There was a story in the comics where an Earth-sized asteroid was headed out way, so NASA shot the Hulk at it and he literally punched it apart in orbit...

...and then it smashed the poo poo out of us anyway as all of the little pieces caused catastrophic damage, right?

That was actually handled really well in One Punch Man (anime warning). There was a huge meteor coming towards a city, the titular character jumps up and smashes it, and it stops being a single dino-killer and becomes a shotgun blast of building-killers, which then go on and kill a whole bunch of buildings.

I realise we're arguing about comic books so the answer is actually "don't think about it too much, here are some bright colours and explosions".

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Memento posted:

...and then it smashed the poo poo out of us anyway as all of the little pieces caused catastrophic damage, right?

That was actually handled really well in One Punch Man (anime warning). There was a huge meteor coming towards a city, the titular character jumps up and smashes it, and it stops being a single dino-killer and becomes a shotgun blast of building-killers, which then go on and kill a whole bunch of buildings.

I realise we're arguing about comic books so the answer is actually "don't think about it too much, here are some bright colours and explosions".

If you punch it to pieces far enough away and with enough explosive force, chances are most of the pieces would miss the planet. Also, comic book physics.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Memento posted:

The hulk gets bigger and stronger the madder he is. They merely need to fire a Banner-sized projectile at the highest velocity possible, have his anger take over mid-travel, and deflect the asteroid's course well-in-advance.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Canemacar posted:

There's a bit in The Boys where a meteor is headed towards Earth, so they send up Tek Knight and he fucks it.

Get an R-rating for that one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a bit in The Boys where a meteor is headed towards Earth, so they send up Tek Knight and he fucks it.

Get an R-rating for that one.

Well...

He was actually hallucinating that due to the massive tumour in his brain that killed him

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ultron chose a city because of all the people.

Before Fury shows up, they're discussing how their only option is going to be blowing up the city and killing everyone on it to prevent the impact.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Memento posted:

There's no way Ultron could have accelerated something to that kind of speed, but it would be a lot easier to gently nudge something already going that speed to a new course.

Fiction is a hard concept to grasp.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MonoAus posted:

Fiction is a hard concept to grasp.

Irrationally Irritating is a hard concept to grasp as well, apparently. It doesn't have to make sense. It's not supposed to be irritating because it's not supposed to make sense, that's why it's irrational.

Did you not realise which thread you're in there for a second?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I started watching Supernatural and I'm in season 3 right now and the show gets so much gorier and more violent in this one. It's weird like yeah there was always some violence and death but this season opens with a guy drinking drain cleaner and his face melting off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Len posted:

I started watching Supernatural and I'm in season 3 right now and the show gets so much gorier and more violent in this one. It's weird like yeah there was always some violence and death but this season opens with a guy drinking drain cleaner and his face melting off.

In a later season the writers found out you can say douchebag on TV and it becomes one of Dean's favorite words.

So maybe it was something like that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Supernatural was a really good show as long as you only watch the monster of the week stuff and avoid the dull angels/demons stuff.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

One of the things that bugs me is the "cliche demon eye reveal". There's really no reason they have to do it every time a demon shows up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Supernatural was a really good show as long as you only watch the monster of the week stuff and avoid the dull angels/demons stuff.

So ignore season 2-5?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

AFewBricksShy posted:

One of the things that bugs me is the "cliche demon eye reveal". There's really no reason they have to do it every time a demon shows up.

If you could make your eyes go black by blinking wouldn't you do it to really freak people out?

Also Supernatural dedicated an entire season to dick jokes and I appreciate that.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

darkhand posted:

Rush Hour credits are always pretty funny with Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan goofing off. I guess blooper reels don't really fit the same category but I think more movie should do them for the credits

Having a blooper reel during The Revenant would have really brought the movie to another level.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The monster of the week stuff is definitely better than the demon poo poo. I haven't gotten to the introduction of angels yet but I hear it doesn't get much better once that happens. I want to like the show more than I do. When it was just those two terrible hunters fighting less common ghosts and supernatural things it was great.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The demon angel stuff is still pretty good but a lot of that is the charisma of the actors more than the story lines. Up til the end of season 5 is pretty good but there's a noticeable drop after that for a few seasons. Individual episode wise it's still good but there's an obvious quality missing to the show. However the show always has pretty hot chicks.

Source: family members love supernatural so ive seen every episode at least twice

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

The demon angel stuff is still pretty good but a lot of that is the charisma of the actors more than the story lines. Up til the end of season 5 is pretty good but there's a noticeable drop after that for a few seasons. Individual episode wise it's still good but there's an obvious quality missing to the show. However the show always has pretty hot chicks.

Source: family members love supernatural so ive seen every episode at least twice

You can admit to watching Supernatural I follow you on tumblr.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Len posted:

The monster of the week stuff is definitely better than the demon poo poo. I haven't gotten to the introduction of angels yet but I hear it doesn't get much better once that happens. I want to like the show more than I do. When it was just those two terrible hunters fighting less common ghosts and supernatural things it was great.

Like racist trucks?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The worst part of Supernatural is that they always have the same loving arguments over and over and over every plot arc/season. It's probably not as noticeable if you didn't Netflix binge watch it but it's still an issue.

I didn't mind the different major plot arcs...angels, demons, they even turn some of that stuff on its head, but it feels like they also kept going "well poo poo, we used up that supernatural plot line, now we have to come up with another one" and if this isn't the last season then I don't even know wtf (though I'm not watching the current season because it's not on netflix :allears: )

I actually found the fourth wall stuff funny as well

But related to the complaints about the "monster of the week shows are fine but the major plot stuff isn't", it's kind of funny how these days every show has to have that over arcing plot line these days. Watching old, long running tv shows like Magnum P.I. and M.A.S.H. and every episode stands alone except for a few double episodes

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Supernatural is a good, fun show but it is funny how almost every supernatural creature in mythology that shows up on the show, from dragons to kitsunes to phoenixes, just look like human beings with differently-colored eyes and maybe claws or fangs.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Len posted:

There are a couple of main cast characters coming up that are an incredible amount of fun, and occasionally you get an episode that pointedly mocks the fan base for the terrible poo poo they spew.

But as the show goes on it just gets mired in angst.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Sleeveless posted:

Supernatural is a good, fun show but it is funny how almost every supernatural creature in mythology that shows up on the show, from dragons to kitsunes to phoenixes, just look like human beings with differently-colored eyes and maybe claws or fangs.

Yeah, that takes some of the fun out of the monster of the week stuff.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Levitate posted:

But related to the complaints about the "monster of the week shows are fine but the major plot stuff isn't", it's kind of funny how these days every show has to have that over arcing plot line these days. Watching old, long running tv shows like Magnum P.I. and M.A.S.H. and every episode stands alone except for a few double episodes

MASH had a few running "arcs" like Margaret getting married and subsequently divorced, but yeah, it's always more of a plot point that shows up in a few episodes over the course of a season and then is never spoken of again. Early MASH was definitely better in general about being more "gently caress-up of the week" than having any semblance of a plot though. Late MASH when Alan Alda started directing every other episode and getting all grimdark wasn't nearly as good. Scuse me, I need to go watch all the Col. Flagg episodes in order now. :v:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MASH to young me was all about how hilariously badly Alan Alda would lay on the "drat this filthy war!!!", and alternate it with wacky anti-authoritarian shenanigans.

Futurama even had a thing about it with the robot that had a switch between Maudlin and Vaudevillian.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Having a blooper reel during The Revenant would have really brought the movie to another level.
Now I really wonder why Deadpool didn't have one. It's the perfect movie for it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

bobkatt013 posted:

So ignore season 2-5?

Anyone who believes this is the source of my irrational irritation, those are the best ones (although the latest season or two are back to being pretty good). Another is the fact that they still haven't resolved the brother in Lucifer's cage from the end of season 5 , and have only mentioned as a joke in the 200th episode, 5 seasons later. It made you think maybe they'd remember that thing and try and do something about it, but nope, back to not caring. I have heard one possibly reasonable explanation that it's not him, just his body in there...but still, you'd think they'd want to at least check to see if that is true. For a show that is supposedly about doing everything for your family to the point of stupidity and selling their souls right and left it seems out of character for everybody.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Murphy Brownback posted:

Anyone who believes this is the source of my irrational irritation, those are the best ones (although the latest season or two are back to being pretty good). Another is the fact that they still haven't resolved the brother in Lucifer's cage from the end of season 5 , and have only mentioned as a joke in the 200th episode, 5 seasons later. It made you think maybe they'd remember that thing and try and do something about it, but nope, back to not caring. I have heard one possibly reasonable explanation that it's not him, just his body in there...but still, you'd think they'd want to at least check to see if that is true. For a show that is supposedly about doing everything for your family to the point of stupidity and selling their souls right and left it seems out of character for everybody.

Of course they showed the cage that Lucifer and Michael were supposed to be in, and Lucifer was alone. So where the hell is Michael and their bro?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I just mean it seemed like lazy writing and a missed opportunity for Vision to go all ghost like and phase through the glass while all he Avengers are like "whoa". Stark could be all "I didn't build him to do that".

Only thing I know about Vision is that he's an android, he phases and he flies. I mean, those are his loving powers. He flew in the movie (and grew himself a cape) but the phasing thing? Not so much. I liked AoU but my God a lot of it is just a hot mess. For one thing, Avengers just show up out of nowhere all the time. Even half way around the globe. Ultron's plan still makes no god drat sense to me. What was the deal with creating the sky island anyway?

I like that film in spite of itself.

the film was honestly really bad but A.) stark didn't create vision B.) vision does phase to disconnect ultron from the internet (because that makes sense) C.) ultron was gonna use the island to create a survival of the fittist situation to create super humans through natural selection then the twins turning on him makes him get all pissy and he decides to kill all humans and re do the world with blackjack and robots

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Of course they showed the cage that Lucifer and Michael were supposed to be in, and Lucifer was alone. So where the hell is Michael and their bro?

If you mean this season, that wasn't the actual cage, that was a sort of temporary holding area they made to bring Lucifer to so they could talk to him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tiggum posted:

If you mean this season, that wasn't the actual cage, that was a sort of temporary holding area they made to bring Lucifer to so they could talk to him.

He also mentioned the other person in there with him, but prince of lies.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

TheKennedys posted:

MASH had a few running "arcs" like Margaret getting married and subsequently divorced, but yeah, it's always more of a plot point that shows up in a few episodes over the course of a season and then is never spoken of again. Early MASH was definitely better in general about being more "gently caress-up of the week" than having any semblance of a plot though. Late MASH when Alan Alda started directing every other episode and getting all grimdark wasn't nearly as good. Scuse me, I need to go watch all the Col. Flagg episodes in order now. :v:

BrigadierSensible posted:

MASH to young me was all about how hilariously badly Alan Alda would lay on the "drat this filthy war!!!", and alternate it with wacky anti-authoritarian shenanigans.

Futurama even had a thing about it with the robot that had a switch between Maudlin and Vaudevillian.

Here's a helpful general rule. If you see a MASH re-run, does BJ have a mustache? If so, be wary. There were "drat this war" episodes before that point, and there are funny, madcap episodes after it, but that's really around the point where the switch is set to "maudlin" much more often. If BJ's lip is clear or, better yet, if Trapper is there, much better chances of a funny episode.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Now I really wonder why Deadpool didn't have one. It's the perfect movie for it.

Just the blooper reel from the holiday/sex scene alone would be amazing.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Perry Normal posted:

Here's a helpful general rule. If you see a MASH re-run, does BJ have a mustache? If so, be wary. There were "drat this war" episodes before that point, and there are funny, madcap episodes after it, but that's really around the point where the switch is set to "maudlin" much more often. If BJ's lip is clear or, better yet, if Trapper is there, much better chances of a funny episode.

Trapper was poo poo, but agreed on the early BJ years, everyone loves a BJ with no mustache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

They know their brother's soul is gone though, because the one angel they trust told them that's how it works.