Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Get to work 15 minutes early. Get told that I'm not taking any tables until 6:00 when I have a redo for 18-22 that pretty much takes up my section.

Table starts to arrive, it's a geocaching convention.

Table tells me it's all separate bills and they'd like to order as they arrive. I mention that the best way for me to keep track of over 20 separate bills, is if people try to stay in the seats they originally sit in. This is summarily ignored was the whole group plays musical chairs.

Also 27 people show up and they're upset that we have to seat some of them at an extra table.

Long story short 1/3 of them no-tipped and the rest put in an average of ten percent.

Why does this place not have auto-grat for large parties again?

til;dr gently caress geocachers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mezzanon posted:

Get to work 15 minutes early. Get told that I'm not taking any tables until 6:00 when I have a redo for 18-22 that pretty much takes up my section.

Table tells me it's all separate bills and they'd like to order as they arrive. I mention that the best way for me to keep track of over 20 separate bills, is if people try to stay in the seats they originally sit in. This is summarily ignored was the whole group plays musical chairs.

Also 27 people show up and they're upset that we have to seat some of them at an extra table.

Long story short 1/3 of them no-tipped and the rest put in an average of ten percent.

There are so many things I wouldn't put up with on this. Giant reservation, no separate checks I'll split payment among different cards and cash, but they have to do the math. Also, more than 5 people, auto gratuity. Okay it's exactly 2 things I wouldn't put up with.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
A lady complained tonight that her "white sauce" tasted like alfredo. It was alfredo. It was clearly stated on the menu.

I don't know how to help you ma'am.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
ask her if she'd like you to pass her compliments on to the kitchen

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

JawKnee posted:

ask her if she'd like you to pass her compliments on to the kitchen

I'm the lead line cook, I was approached by a very confused server who wasn't sure if this was a problem or not

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

sounds like a compliment, just not for her

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh man I have totally said a dish tasted like a dish before. :(

I really hate when servers proffer adjectives to describe food when asking if you liked said food - EG, "was everything delicious???" - and of course any place that has a person who would ask a question like this probably has pretty mediocre food anyways.

so like if it was some boring hotel pan roasted chicken thing and I get enthusiastically asked how I liked it, I might put on the biggest grin I can with a little crazy look in my eye and be like "TASTED LIKE CHICKENNNN! :D :D :D"

gently caress you girl, your lovely chicken was overcooked and bland and how dare you ask if it was delicious. :mad: can totally see a questionable 'that mediocre alfredo tasted like mediocre alfredo' response in my not too distant future.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Speaking of mediocre alfredo anyone got a recipe for an alfredo sauce that can spread easily when cold and not break horribly when reheated?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mezzanon posted:

I once had a server decide not to autograt a table of ~20 guys because "they're gay, gay people tip great!"

Cue surprise when none of them tipped anything because they thought they'd been autogratted. She literally chased the last one out of the restaurant to ask what happened, and that's what he told her.

Guess who wound up being the bad guy because I allowed her to do that. Always autograt, and it's lovely to not allow it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

I once had a server decide not to autograt a table of ~20 guys because "they're gay, gay people tip great!"

Cue surprise when none of them tipped anything because they thought they'd been autogratted. She literally chased the last one out of the restaurant to ask what happened, and that's what he told her.

Guess who wound up being the bad guy because I allowed her to do that. Always autograt, and it's lovely to not allow it.

I'm bringing it up at the manager meeting in two weeks. The owner just doesn't believe in it, but I'm gonna push for it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Republicans posted:

Speaking of mediocre alfredo anyone got a recipe for an alfredo sauce that can spread easily when cold and not break horribly when reheated?

Try the basic cream, butter, parmegiano, salt pepper and add a bit of iota carrageenan to it. You will have to experiment with how much but it should act as an emulsifier and gelling agent, which seems to be what you are looking for.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Maybe you two weirdos can bond over your wrestling fetish.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

What in gods name is that?!?!

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
So I'm just going to ignore that terrifying picture, and ask if anyone has any awesome ideas for holding/prepping a sabayon (the savory sauce, not the dessert) for service, other than 'leave it at room temp and make it a couple times'. I'm assuming that I can't make up a big batch, refrigerate, and pull out smaller quantities of it during service? But I might be wrong?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are people who ring up register orders for take-out typically on a tipping wage?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Naelyan posted:

So I'm just going to ignore that terrifying picture, and ask if anyone has any awesome ideas for holding/prepping a sabayon (the savory sauce, not the dessert) for service, other than 'leave it at room temp and make it a couple times'. I'm assuming that I can't make up a big batch, refrigerate, and pull out smaller quantities of it during service? But I might be wrong?

In my experience, sabayon holds really well at room temp in an isi canister, which also makes it pretty puffy. Dunno if that would work for you, but I know if you keep the canister pressurized,it can hold unbroken for multiple days.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

baquerd posted:

Are people who ring up register orders for take-out typically on a tipping wage?

depends on where you are I suspect. That being said, most restaurants I've worked for will bend over backwards to classify anybody working front of house as a server so they can pay server wages (lower than minimum where I live)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

JawKnee posted:

depends on where you are I suspect. That being said, most restaurants I've worked for will bend over backwards to classify anybody working front of house as a server so they can pay server wages (lower than minimum where I live)

yeah i feel like that's more of a thing than it should be. I'm still a little bitter about the "Surprise! Your base pay rate is lower but you'll totally be getting tipped out more! Totally!" at the last place I worked.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

On the subject of autogratuity, the UK as far as I know doesn't offer any protections for electronic tips or service charges on bills. But, everywhere puts a 10-15% 'optional' service fee on your bill.

But not everywhere gives it to the service staff. I think some places (zizis iirc) goes as far as to include it as company revenue. So, as a customer, how can I make sure I'm not paying extra for good service, that doesn't go to those that earned it without looking like a douche?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
There have been no customers in an hour, and only 3 in the past 2 hours. I'm supposed to be leaving now but the person coming in said his car is frozen so I can't go home until he's here since there has to be at least 2 people working.

Send help.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Horse Clocks posted:

On the subject of autogratuity, the UK as far as I know doesn't offer any protections for electronic tips or service charges on bills. But, everywhere puts a 10-15% 'optional' service fee on your bill.

But not everywhere gives it to the service staff. I think some places (zizis iirc) goes as far as to include it as company revenue. So, as a customer, how can I make sure I'm not paying extra for good service, that doesn't go to those that earned it without looking like a douche?

Tip directly to the staff in cash.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Invisible Ted posted:

In my experience, sabayon holds really well at room temp in an isi canister, which also makes it pretty puffy. Dunno if that would work for you, but I know if you keep the canister pressurized,it can hold unbroken for multiple days.

This is the correct answer. But don't hold it for days.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
In stark contrast to yesterday, today was half price appy day, and I somehow managed to ring out over a grand. I also didn't have any ridiculous large parties.

Feels good man.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
I don't work in the restaurant industry, but I follow this thread due to morbid fascination.
Today I heard someone say something to a server that made me wince. I'm currently on Koh Phi Phi in Thailand and was dining in a restaurant that is basically a shack, 2 German guys come in with carrier bags full of packet instant noodles & start asking the server if it was possible for her to make them a meal with no onion, no garlic and no salt...at all, in any shape or form. They were incredibly specific about this and repeated the request 3 or 4 times before agreeing to be seated.

I was absolutely baffled, packet noodles are basically full of sodium right? And most have onion/garlic powder in the flavour packets.

The waitress agreed and the German dudes seemed happy with what they got in the end. It just reminded me of the ridiculous requests from diners I see in here.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
<insert obligatory soup nazi joke>

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So, after being a cook since I was sixteen, I'm out. I'm out, and have health insurance, paid vacation, 8-4 schedule, two days off a week. I'm gonna miss it, but gently caress I am not going to miss it.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 3, 2016

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Hey cookin' goons. I always lurk in this thread and maybe post every couple of years or so when I'm stressed about a job/going through some poo poo. So here's the long story short:

Was a chef of a restaurant in NYC, was going fine, then they started up a catering business(and like 10 other pop up type things) out of the same tiny kitchen and it was a poo poo show. No extra help, or pay. Working months straight without a day off. Owner was nuts. I parted ways.

After this I decided to find something closer to home, so I found a chef gig in one of the boroughs where I live. Money was an improvement all is was well. Then i realized the place was a total dirty disaster poo poo show and I have to, against my will, order the shittiest products possible, all the staff are idiots because they can only offer pennies so I'm stuck with people that are willing to work for less money than any place I've ever worked. So it's just babysitting. The food is really mediocre because I have to order poo poo. And without going into too much detail there is kind of a rodent problem which will always be a problem due to the location of the building, and I don't want my name on that poo poo. And somehow I have to work 6 days a week to get my full salary(super bullshit). Also I have to work the line wayyy to much to fill my requirements. Really high paid line cook here.

The bright side is some people I used to work for are opening up a new spot in the city and want me to be the chef. New spot is cool folks, and value time off, and have their poo poo together. Downside; I have to start out making a little less money. That's the only downside. And I'll get paid insurance after six months, which the new place doesn't offer(apparently I make enough to pay 500 a month for insurance lol) and the opportunity to make more money in the future where as I'm totally capped out here(owner constantly reminds me how much I make).

The hard part for me is that I've only been here like 4 months and I'm going to drop a drama bomb of a notice and that poo poo is stressful and everyone is going to be a oval office to me for the next month. But deep down I feel this is a good decision.

Thanks for letting me bitch.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Your decision seems to be the right one.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

cods posted:

Hey cookin' goons. I always lurk in this thread and maybe post every couple of years or so when I'm stressed about a job/going through some poo poo. So here's the long story short:

Was a chef of a restaurant in NYC, was going fine, then they started up a catering business(and like 10 other pop up type things) out of the same tiny kitchen and it was a poo poo show. No extra help, or pay. Working months straight without a day off. Owner was nuts. I parted ways.

After this I decided to find something closer to home, so I found a chef gig in one of the boroughs where I live. Money was an improvement all is was well. Then i realized the place was a total dirty disaster poo poo show and I have to, against my will, order the shittiest products possible, all the staff are idiots because they can only offer pennies so I'm stuck with people that are willing to work for less money than any place I've ever worked. So it's just babysitting. The food is really mediocre because I have to order poo poo. And without going into too much detail there is kind of a rodent problem which will always be a problem due to the location of the building, and I don't want my name on that poo poo. And somehow I have to work 6 days a week to get my full salary(super bullshit). Also I have to work the line wayyy to much to fill my requirements. Really high paid line cook here.

The bright side is some people I used to work for are opening up a new spot in the city and want me to be the chef. New spot is cool folks, and value time off, and have their poo poo together. Downside; I have to start out making a little less money. That's the only downside. And I'll get paid insurance after six months, which the new place doesn't offer(apparently I make enough to pay 500 a month for insurance lol) and the opportunity to make more money in the future where as I'm totally capped out here(owner constantly reminds me how much I make).

The hard part for me is that I've only been here like 4 months and I'm going to drop a drama bomb of a notice and that poo poo is stressful and everyone is going to be a oval office to me for the next month. But deep down I feel this is a good decision.

Thanks for letting me bitch.

You don't owe your current employers a drat thing but for the labor you provide in exchange for the paycheck they owe you. Don't feel bad at all - on to bigger and better things (and health insurance!)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Plan Z posted:

So, after being a cook since I was sixteen, I'm out. I'm out, and have health insurance, paid vacation, 8-4 schedule, two days off a week. I'm gonna miss it, but gently caress I am not going to miss it.

Congratulations!

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Just got the craziest email ever. Had a trail last week, and he came in and we hired him. Showed up for his first day and was here for about an hour before he had to rush out because he said his wife was going into labor. I thought it was just a lie and he didn't want to work here because I can't pay him poo poo, but he's actually been emailing back and forth, and he was supposed to come in today to actually get started.

Then he just emailed me saying that his newborn baby died, but he can start on Monday. WTF? This sums up the kids d of place I work In.

Also I am avoiding my boss because he wants to batch at me about food cost. Apparently this place needs to run at 25 percent food cost. It was 26 last week and he is freaking out. Keep in mind everything here is expensive protein heavy and 25 percent is just unreal. The only way the chef before me did it was by cutting serious corners, like using Swiss as gruyere , ordering cheap China Town chickens, ordering select beef for steaks, fish that comes in old from places I've never heard of, and a bunch of other poo poo I'm not willing to do. So when I'm ready I'll call him and get bitched at(even though I've explained this to him) and be like yeah, your right, and send him my notice in the morning. Feeling a lot less bad about it as the day goes on.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cods posted:

Just got the craziest email ever. Had a trail last week, and he came in and we hired him. Showed up for his first day and was here for about an hour before he had to rush out because he said his wife was going into labor. I thought it was just a lie and he didn't want to work here because I can't pay him poo poo, but he's actually been emailing back and forth, and he was supposed to come in today to actually get started.

Then he just emailed me saying that his newborn baby died, but he can start on Monday. WTF? This sums up the kids d of place I work In.

Also I am avoiding my boss because he wants to batch at me about food cost. Apparently this place needs to run at 25 percent food cost. It was 26 last week and he is freaking out. Keep in mind everything here is expensive protein heavy and 25 percent is just unreal. The only way the chef before me did it was by cutting serious corners, like using Swiss as gruyere , ordering cheap China Town chickens, ordering select beef for steaks, fish that comes in old from places I've never heard of, and a bunch of other poo poo I'm not willing to do. So when I'm ready I'll call him and get bitched at(even though I've explained this to him) and be like yeah, your right, and send him my notice in the morning. Feeling a lot less bad about it as the day goes on.

:haw::"You don't need to worry so much about food costs anymore boss!"
:v::"Why?"
:byewhore::"Because soon enough you won't have to pay me anymore!"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

cods posted:

Had a trail last week, and he came in and we hired him. Showed up for his first day and was here for about an hour before he had to rush out because he said his wife was going into labor. I thought it was just a lie and he didn't want to work here because I can't pay him poo poo, but he's actually been emailing back and forth, and he was supposed to come in today to actually get started.

Then he just emailed me saying that his newborn baby died, but he can start on Monday.

:stare:

:catstare:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What in gods name is that?!?!

japanese pro wrestling makes WWE look like norwegian daycare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrSQyoEfAvQ

the hosed up poo poo starts at 9:45 and then just keeps on truckin for about 20 minutes or so

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
pretty sure the referee get-to-work clapping in the ring while the wrestlers are hundreds of meters away, stumbling through the stands bleeding an aerosol spray all over the audience at the height of the HIV scare, went on to become our hotel's F&B director

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Man, this thread goes weird places. I don't know why that's surprises me.

We're doing a grand reopening this weekend! All new tastes! Thrilling sensations! Breathtaking decor! Exotic new cocktails!

Except we didn't change the decor at all, they didn't change anything on the menu but add $2 and some truffle oil to every entree. Oh and now we have "amuse Bouche" that are just tiny versions of our appetizers. We aren't even closing for a few nights for show.

I won't be able to tell if it's genius or insulting until the numbers come in. Right now I just think it's bizarre. Anyone seen this poo poo before?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

fizzymercy posted:

Man, this thread goes weird places. I don't know why that's surprises me.

We're doing a grand reopening this weekend! All new tastes! Thrilling sensations! Breathtaking decor! Exotic new cocktails!

Except we didn't change the decor at all, they didn't change anything on the menu but add $2 and some truffle oil to every entree. Oh and now we have "amuse Bouche" that are just tiny versions of our appetizers. We aren't even closing for a few nights for show.

I won't be able to tell if it's genius or insulting until the numbers come in. Right now I just think it's bizarre. Anyone seen this poo poo before?

I used to work at a joint that, from one day to the next in the middle of the week, switched from pretty freakin' good mexican style apps and entrees to a tapas format which was all over the loving map and hit every single tapas cliche i/r/t price and horrid service with no rhyme or reason to the coursing and a hugely brave but utterly unequipped barely legal oaxacan teen who spoke no english and hadn't been in country a month before being shoved in the expo window by the owner and told to run the show with a primarily anglo front house staff.

Here's five blistered shishitos on a cast iron flat which would've definitely given you a third degree burn had it not been sitting in the window for seven minutes for some reason. We put salt on them. you're welcome. that'll be seven american fiat dollars. Freshen your drink, sir?

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 4, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
amuses bouche also get really really silly when it's decided from on-high that we Need To Have Them, come hell or high water, no matter who's working or what's good in the walk-ins or what.

see last night's: fromage de tête sur un morceau du pain grillé avec pepins moutarde

a guy worked on that. for like: *two hours*

just doing.... that.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 4, 2016

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

amuses bouche also get really really silly when it's decided from on-high that we Need To Have Them, come hell or high water, no matter who's working or what's good in the walk-ins or what.

see last night's: fromage au tête sur un morceau du pain grillé avec pepins moutarde

just doing.... that.
I have that guy's job. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Willie Tomg posted:

see last night's: fromage de tête sur un morceau du pain grillé avec pepins moutarde

just doing.... that.

My high school French is a bit rusty, but is that seriously head cheese on a piece of bread with mustard bits? And that's a thing someone actually thought was a good idea to serve at a relatively-high-end hotel restaurant? :catstare:

• Locked thread