Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
drat. Tried calling to get my annual fee waived on the Arrival+, had done $30k in business through them since March 2015 and they refused to waive. Had some points left to utilize, so after getting high and mighty with them, said I'd call to cancel on Monday after redeeming everything. I requested waiving again on the website just now, we'll see what they have to say, but I don't have high hopes.

I just applied for the Fidelity 2% investment card and got just under my current credit limit through Barclay, so nothing lost on my business card if they don't approve!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Dead Pressed posted:

drat. Tried calling to get my annual fee waived on the Arrival+, had done $30k in business through them since March 2015 and they refused to waive. Had some points left to utilize, so after getting high and mighty with them, said I'd call to cancel on Monday after redeeming everything. I requested waiving again on the website just now, we'll see what they have to say, but I don't have high hopes.

I just applied for the Fidelity 2% investment card and got just under my current credit limit through Barclay, so nothing lost on my business card if they don't approve!

I did around 35k last year and just downgraded, no waive offered.

Unfortunately I downgraded the day before the fee, so they ended up charging it anyway, and it's been a real pain to get it reversed. The customer service for the Arrival seems noticeably worse than the Arrival+.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Amex has a 35k point sign up bonus for the SPG card. All the blogs are going bonkers.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

TheEye posted:

Unfortunately I downgraded the day before the fee, so they ended up charging it anyway, and it's been a real pain to get it reversed. The customer service for the Arrival seems noticeably worse than the Arrival+.

When I downgraded it was well before the fee and I still had a few leftover points (from pending transactions). The rep was like "well you can just wait until the end of the month and you can use your points and they will still waive the fee and I was like "naaaah just do it now."

Got my Chase Sapphire bonus... have 63,000 points. Now what?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Be nice if I hadn't gotten that cards basic bonus offer a couple years ago.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Elysium posted:

When I downgraded it was well before the fee and I still had a few leftover points (from pending transactions). The rep was like "well you can just wait until the end of the month and you can use your points and they will still waive the fee and I was like "naaaah just do it now."

Got my Chase Sapphire bonus... have 63,000 points. Now what?

If you don't have the SPG and can use the points I'd get that.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

The Electronaut posted:

Amex has a 35k point sign up bonus for the SPG card. All the blogs are going bonkers.

With SPG rooms going from anywhere between 7k - 30k points, what is the big deal about the 35k offer?

Seems like you can also transfer those points to airlines but United is a 2 to 1 transfer policy.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 3, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Electronaut posted:

How much is that worth roughly

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

With SPG rooms going from anywhere between 7k - 30k points, what is the big deal about the 35k offer?

Seems like you can also transfer those points to airlines but United is a 2 to 1 transfer policy.

20000 SPG points = 25000 airline points, so if you spend a little over the minimum, you'll get 50K airline miles out of it (except on United)

People have hardons for SPG points because they transfer to a ton of different partners, but otherwise they're not anything amazing.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

TheEye posted:

I did around 35k last year and just downgraded, no waive offered.

What! They refused to let me downgrade. Or escalate the call. I should have called back.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Busy Bee posted:

Airline transfers and good redemption options for pretty low points.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Yeah, SPG is great because people used it as a 1.25 point per dollar card for almost any airline on everyday spend. As others have said though, the one airline you don't want to transfer to is United who gives a lovely transfer rate because of their relationship with Chase.

I will try to keep up with this thread more. The points game is good if you can stay disciplined and pay stuff off every month. I was able to fly to Hawaii twice in the past 2 years for free by just taking advantage of signup bonuses and using the cards for stuff I would have bought anyways.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
If I already have a Capital One 360 savings account (previously was an ING account), and I get a Capital One Quicksilver card, can I easily transfer funds from my savings account to the credit card account to pay my balance? (by easily, I mean seamless and nearly instant transfer, instead of the week long authorization process in transferring funds between banks/credit unions)
Or should I avoid having a second credit card entirely, since I don't really need it. (current one is through my local credit union)

asur
Dec 28, 2012

UserErr0r posted:

If I already have a Capital One 360 savings account (previously was an ING account), and I get a Capital One Quicksilver card, can I easily transfer funds from my savings account to the credit card account to pay my balance? (by easily, I mean seamless and nearly instant transfer, instead of the week long authorization process in transferring funds between banks/credit unions)
Or should I avoid having a second credit card entirely, since I don't really need it. (current one is through my local credit union)

Paying any credit card at most takes a of couple days and if you initiate the transfer via the credit card then it should be applied immediately.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

asur posted:

If you aren't buying a house or a car, then stop caring about your FICO score.

You should care anyway because FICO is increasingly being used to evaluate your worthiness in other areas like employment background checks and home/auto/medical insurance and people are finding lots of doors close or become a lot more expensive to go through with lovely credit.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 14, 2016

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

SaltLick posted:

How much is that worth roughly

Most folks value Starwood points at a bit over 2¢ each, so somewhere around $700 by that valuation.

If you are actually using them for bookings at Starwood properties, you can squeeze some pretty good value out of them - 7-8¢/point, or around $2,450-2,800.

If anyone is interested in signing up for it, I am happy to make a referral for you. I get points for this, and you still get the 35k offer. Unfortunately there's no bonus for you (unlike Discover, where we each get $50) but I will think good thoughts about you!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
If I have 33k points on my Freedom card (5ish years accumulation) is there any reason I shouldn't just get a check for $330 and call it a day?

I plan to keep the card, and also have an amazon card. But I know what to do with those points.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Defenestration posted:

If I have 33k points on my Freedom card (5ish years accumulation) is there any reason I shouldn't just get a check for $330 and call it a day?

I plan to keep the card, and also have an amazon card. But I know what to do with those points.

If you are ever going to have a CSP or Ink card, you can then transfer those points to the Ultimate Rewards transfer partners, where you can get better value out of them. If you don't have travel plans, I think you are probably best cashing them in.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Pryor on Fire posted:

You should care anyway because FICO is increasingly being used to evaluate your worthiness in other areas like employment background checks and home/auto/medical insurance and people are finding lots of doors close or become a lot more expensive to go through with lovely credit.

This is me...

Thanks to the OP and curators.

American citizen who has lived abroad from ages 8-26, only thing 'in my name' in the USA in that time was a meagre joint bank account with my Dad. In January this year I returned to the USA from a first world, english-speaking industralized country and military ally of the USA with several years of insurance coverage, clean driving record and efforts of paying my bills on time at my back. I knew that credit ratings existed as a thing but I did not realize just how deeply integrated and institutionalized they are now in this country.

And so, I find out I have basically no credit history at all. What do I get at every turn? I am treated like a ghost in the system because of no credit rating, and service people basically treat it like a computer says no moment and look at you blankly. The experience of this is compounded by - hate to complain - many American's have such incredibly terrible knowledge of geography or generally about the concept of being an American who has been living in a foreign country makes it an uncomfortable experience on top of this.

Needed a deposit for a post-paid wireless phone account... Can't even open many low limit secured credit cards because I have just literally no credit history. Get charged massively increased auto premiums in every quote even with help of insurance agent. Find out that many jobs with the government or even just general jobs I want to apply for can require credit checks.

So anyways, my just over $200 limit Secured Opensky Visa is on its way and I am going to utilize it under 15% and only to fill my car with gas every month and triple-lock that auto pay poo poo in. Its the game and yeah gently caress this dystopian society but we gotta play it

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 15, 2016

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I was able to get bank of America to pull in my credit history or something from Canada when I was applying for my first US credit card. I didn't have a particularly long or eventful credit history but it made a huge difference from a fully secured $500 card to an unsecured $4800 card, both with the same cash back rewards.

I don't know if it would work for you, and I doubt it'd help for auto loans.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

If you were abroad because your Dad is in the US military you should try something like USAA that is more familiar with servicing service members and their families.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Jacobin posted:

... lack of credit question ...

I recently moved Canada to US, perfect Canada credit rating, zero in US. Here's my experience so far:
* Canadian banks TD and Royal have US corporation banks - they say they will allow you a credit card based on Canadian history, and this is true, except the fine print says your home address must be in a state where they have a US branch and you have to personally go into that branch to do the application. As all their branches are east cost and I moved to CA, that didn't help at all.
* American Express allows for your Canadian history to get a US based card without securing it. But you need this in place, with history with them, before you move.
* Everyone else want secured cards to start. I opted for Capital One - no fees, has credit tracker.
* GEICO accept Canadian driving records for your insurance, and gave quotes reflecting that. Home insurance was no issue either.
* Utilities (gas, power, water, cable, internet) all want up front deposits. All deposits were refundable (important!) except AT&T because they are idiots, so I went with Cox instead.
* T-Mobile phone - no credit was no problem, except you do not get to set the bill on auto-payment until a year after. Makes no sense to me, all other utilities allow this.
* Rental apartment was no problem with zero credit, just had to give a letter from employer stating income. No additional deposits required.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

SiGmA_X posted:

What! They refused to let me downgrade. Or escalate the call. I should have called back.

I was able to downgrade my Arrival+ to the regular Arrival yesterday with no issues, but when I called a week or two ago they told me I wasn't eligible for any downgrade options. Sometimes you just get someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Decairn posted:

* Everyone else want secured cards to start. I opted for Capital One - no fees, has credit tracker.
When I was beginning to rebuild my credit a few years ago, my first credit card was an unsecured Cap One Platinum Mastercard with a $250 limit and 1% cashback. I think it went up to $500 after six months, $1000 maybe a year after that, and then jumped up to $3500 I think six months after that. Just product changed to Quicksilver to bump up the cashback to 1.5%. Was happy about that since it's my oldest card.

Then someone mentioned /r/churning in another thread here on SA, and I just got a brand new Chase Sapphire Preferred with $7300 limit, which was more than double the combined limits of my three other cards (Cap One, Credit Union, Amazon Store card).

My credit score has went from 585 to 735 over the last three years. Feels good.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

THF13 posted:

I was able to downgrade my Arrival+ to the regular Arrival yesterday with no issues, but when I called a week or two ago they told me I wasn't eligible for any downgrade options. Sometimes you just get someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.
Good to know. I should have called back.

I just downgraded my CSP to a Chase Sapphire card. Easy and via email.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'd feel bad that I've more or less capped my credit score due to an old student loan default that's been settled but I'm not getting a house anytime soon so whatever.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Hey guys on the upside tho I went into Chase bank yesterday and explained my situation/ knowledge of how credit ratings work and the guy took I think a beneficial interpretation of family of mine being with chase as a prior relationship and issued me a Slate credit card with a $600 limit

I have some reasonable savings but reality is I am still barely part time employed and with no credit history so eh this is an opportunity I shant mess up

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Some good news: the Marriott Starwood merger isn't going through thanks to a higher bid from a Chinese company.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Rated PG-34 posted:

Some good news: the Marriott Starwood merger isn't going through thanks to a higher bid from a Chinese company.

Marriott has 5 days to respond to the bid so this is a little premature. The markets at least seem to think that they're will be a bidding war as the share price was above the Chinese offer.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Been on my parent's CC for the past couple years and now I'm looking for my own. I've tried applying for Chase Freedom/Sapphiare and BofA Cash Rewards but they've all denied me since I don't have any credit history. CreditKarma says my credit score is excellent due to my parents but that apparently that doesn't do anything for me in getting my own CC.

I got an AmEx Blue Cash card but looking for a VISA since AmEx isn't accepted everywhere.

If I go into a BofA or Chase branch, can I still try to apply for one of those rewards cards and improve my chances?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Geno posted:

If I go into a BofA or Chase branch, can I still try to apply for one of those rewards cards and improve my chances?

Do you bank with either of them? The credit approval system at BofA for the branch is the exact same (backend) as what is available to you online.

That being said, a big national firm is more likely to extend you credit if you have assets on them, the credit approval people can see things like that.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Well,

Today&yesterday I activated my Secured OpenSky Visa & Chase Slate card and made small bill payments utilizing under 30% with both of them. Set up auto-deducts from my Chq acct to pay the statements in full on billing day. I plan to repeat this cycle.

I guess I feel relieved about finally being able to 'do something' to build credit history. Any major tips on anything else to expect?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

FunOne posted:

Do you bank with either of them? The credit approval system at BofA for the branch is the exact same (backend) as what is available to you online.

That being said, a big national firm is more likely to extend you credit if you have assets on them, the credit approval people can see things like that.

Nope, I bank with Charles Schwab.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jacobin posted:

Well,

Today&yesterday I activated my Secured OpenSky Visa & Chase Slate card and made small bill payments utilizing under 30% with both of them. Set up auto-deducts from my Chq acct to pay the statements in full on billing day. I plan to repeat this cycle.

I guess I feel relieved about finally being able to 'do something' to build credit history. Any major tips on anything else to expect?

Nope that's about it. Credit isn't "free money" and should always be allocated with money from a checking or savings account prior to any purchase on the card. Keep that in mind, make payments in full every month, and keep utilization low (even if you need to make multiple mini payments throughout the month) and you'll be just fine.

You know you have a decent credit history once you start receiving credit card offers in the mail.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Geno posted:

Been on my parent's CC for the past couple years and now I'm looking for my own. I've tried applying for Chase Freedom/Sapphiare and BofA Cash Rewards but they've all denied me since I don't have any credit history. CreditKarma says my credit score is excellent due to my parents but that apparently that doesn't do anything for me in getting my own CC.

I got an AmEx Blue Cash card but looking for a VISA since AmEx isn't accepted everywhere.

Rather than going into a branch try looking up and calling their reconsideration line. Even if you're not getting credit history from being on your parents card you American Express should be giving you some established credit.

You should also get your free credit reports from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action to make sure there isn't any incorrect information that is affecting your score.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

SaltLick posted:

You know you have a decent credit history once you start receiving credit card offers in the mail.

Knew there had to be some sort of dystopian aspect to 'success' in this area

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Is it normal to see a hit to your credit after opening a credit card? I picked up the Amex preferred card and my credit was 730 prior. I switched over to using it as my main card and let it report a balance on the grace period and then pay it in full each month. Then this week I get an email from CreditKarma with new scores out and my scores have dropped to 690 which CreditKarma tells me is a function of the card's utilization. :/

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Generally yeah--you just had a hard pull and decreased the overall age of your accounts. If you ran it up to near the card's limit then CK would think you have high utilization even though you paid it off in full.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

Is it normal to see a hit to your credit after opening a credit card? I picked up the Amex preferred card and my credit was 730 prior. I switched over to using it as my main card and let it report a balance on the grace period and then pay it in full each month. Then this week I get an email from CreditKarma with new scores out and my scores have dropped to 690 which CreditKarma tells me is a function of the card's utilization. :/

There's no history to utilization, so if it reports a very low balance (say 5% of your limit), your score will go back up. Pay it off before the statement cuts and you'll probably gain 30 points when it reports a $0 balance.

You'll also likely see a drop for the inquiry, and for the dip in the average age of accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FWIW some issuers (I forget who but google knows, probably) report your utilization on the 1st of the month, regardless of when your statement close date is. You shouldn't really worry about it unless your utilization is approaching 30% on a particular credit line. That's where the dings start to happen. Below that you're fine, so don't feel like you need to push a payment every time you buy a burger or something.