Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

LordZoric posted:

Yowza. Chris looks like he aged ten years since this video.

Like Lincoln.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Like Lincoln.

The key difference being that no slaves are getting emancipated as long as The Stimperor is involved.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm shocked that AtV seems somewhat delayed given their usual timeliness in sticking with deadlines.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

LordZoric posted:

The key difference being that no slaves are getting emancipated as long as The Stimperor is involved.

Yeah but so many penises will be emancipated from those slaves that it'll all even out.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
While we wait, for those of you who thought you'd seen the highest-fidelity ladder animations in gaming last October...

Brace yourself for the new and improved variable-speed version of ladder climbing!

That was dev time very well spent. Heaven forbid they cut corners on something so critical. I only hope the reddit community appreciates it as much as they did last time...

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

So now we know where the Kartu'Al chair went:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6395364/#Comment_6395364

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

G0RF posted:

The 'immersive' cockpit entry video is 15 seconds long. This is 10 of it.

I just want to point out that one of most popular mods of one of the more popular games (xcom2) is called Stop Wasting My Time, and reduces these scenes as much as possible.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620600092

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

G0RF posted:

While we wait, for those of you who thought you'd seen the highest-fidelity ladder animations in gaming last October...

Brace yourself for the new and improved variable-speed version of ladder climbing!

That was dev time very well spent. Heaven forbid they cut corners on something so critical. I only hope the reddit community appreciates it as much as they did last time...

Who climbs a ladder with all their weight constantly hanging from their hands like that?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320725/combat-capacity-equals-combat-component-volume

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

G0RF posted:

Such attention to detail in the way he slides down the ladder with his hands and feet on the side rails! The side rails that have big lumps of metal sticking out of them and so are not at all smooth. :rolleyes:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Who climbs a ladder with all their weight constantly hanging from their hands like that?

Not to mention basically crawling off the top of the ladder instead of standing upright.

Who the hell did they get to mocap this?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the ladder became plot armor/ladder is the player, while in climbing mode making you invincible. If that happens I will laugh out loudly and such.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Special bonus page from Crobelix & Co.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

From what we learned from the chairgate, it can have gently caress all in its description and sale page, you dont really know what your getting untill its in the hangar and even then it can turn out to be complete poo poo in flight like the recently released POTATO

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 3, 2016

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Why the gently caress did you guys give Cameron another go :confused:

This was a few pages back, but the UK's election system is one of the worst/least representative of its voters. It's a complicated mess but the biggest problem is that each of the UK's 650 constituencies operates on a first past the post system (party with the most votes gets all the power, everyone else gets squat). This is bad enough in a two party system like the US but the UK has several smaller parties in addition to the big 2. As a result, you get scenarios where a smaller party like UKIP earns 13% of the total vote while only winning 0.2% of the seats in parliament. Meanwhile, the Tories got 37% of the total vote but were rewarded with 51% of the seats in parliament. That 51% super majority gives the Tories effectively 100% of the total power.

Now you can argue that It could be worse. UKIP is a far right, super racist/fascist party so seeing them only get 0.2% of the seats after winning 13% of the country's vote was a relief to many. That said, regardless of your personal party affiliation it's hard to argue that these results are fair.

If you want more info, this quick primer on why the results were so bad in 2015 does a much better job than I can of explaining the horror.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

LowellDND posted:

I just want to point out that one of most popular mods of one of the more popular games (xcom2) is called Stop Wasting My Time, and reduces these scenes as much as possible.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620600092

There was a similar one for black market use in Just Cause 2. Folks can and will reduce unnecessary cutscenes and animations after seeing them enough times because they want to get back to playing the actual game.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lime Tonics posted:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the ladder became plot armor/ladder is the player, while in climbing mode making you invincible. If that happens I will laugh out loudly and such.

You'll probably be invincible during all the animations because it's easier to do that.

So between that and the cutscenes your character probably won't ever be in danger more than once in the whole 52 hours of the single player campaign.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chalks posted:

Not to mention basically crawling off the top of the ladder instead of standing upright.

Who the hell did they get to mocap this?

Bongo the monkey

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Don't go to a loving chiropractor.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wrecked Angle posted:

Such attention to detail in the way he slides down the ladder with his hands and feet on the side rails! The side rails that have big lumps of metal sticking out of them and so are not at all smooth. :rolleyes:

Erm, I think you'll find that's why his hands and feet are a good 2 inches from the ladder at all times.

Basically the guy's just falling and the ladder is incidental.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6428376/#Comment_6428376

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Tortolia posted:

There was a similar one for black market use in Just Cause 2. Folks can and will reduce unnecessary cutscenes and animations after seeing them enough times because they want to get back to playing the actual game.

I've heard that Far Cry Primal has a toggle in the options to completely disable the skinning/gathering/crafting animations.

Someone should float a similar feature idea in the forums

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

As if he expects the developers to let him into their game with a name like "bug".

That's the opposite of what they want in the game! The guy clearly doesn't understand game development.

*edit* just noticed the other guy's signature. It's times like this that I hope the game comes out.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Plural Abysss posted:

I've heard that Far Cry Primal has a toggle in the options to completely disable the skinning/gathering/crafting animations.

Someone should float a similar feature idea in the forums

Far cry 4 had it too.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

You'll probably be invincible during all the animations because it's easier to do that.

So between that and the cutscenes your character probably won't ever be in danger more than once in the whole 52 hours of the single player campaign.

I've noticed a lot of the player becoming object for a brief while/persistent when using doors, ships, etc. It kind of explains why you can't die when in seat animations on ships when they get rammed, etc. You just kind of float out of the wreckage. It seems like the damage modelling system for the game is, Is character in animation/local physics grid then invincible, else death. I bet when they bar mini mix drink game comes out you'll be invincible in that too. The ship will quantum travel and you'll be left with a hairy roberts in space somewhere ha.

paarp.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ravane posted:

I'll buy No Man's Sky if it turns out to be really good. And if it does turn out well, it'll be really funny throwing it into shitizens faces that a game with less than 20 devs made a game that was announced after Star Citizen, came out before Star Citizen, and is all in all better than star citizen.

Cue “but it doesn't have [long list of things SC doesn't have either, and probably won't have because it's just something the citizen in question has dreamed up]”.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

Cue “but it doesn't have [long list of things SC doesn't have either, and probably won't have because it's just something the citizen in question has dreamed up]”.
Well it sure as hell won't have variable speed ladder climbing animations, and from what I've seen, vehicle entry animations are woefully underpowered, too.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Galarox posted:

I am working on a special bonus page from Crobelix and co. Watch this space :)

Apparently too big to be an av :shrug:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wafflz posted:

Far cry 4 had it too.

I find it amusing that they did it for the literally-3-second skinning animation while JC2 still had that 5-10s texas drawling rear end in a top hat that you couldn't turn off every time you wanted to buy some more c4

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Thank god :barf:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

:five: :five: :five:

Same for origin pic.

Lowtax needs to up the file size on avatars. Maybe make a Diamond Tier account for those so committed.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Well it sure as hell won't have variable speed ladder climbing animations, and from what I've seen, vehicle entry animations are woefully underpowered, too.

Obviously the PS4 version is limiting how fidelitous it can be

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Been rewatching a few of C-Ro's videos. I'm starting to think there's zero maleficence there. I think he's just massively out of touch with reality.

There was a time - not so long ago now, really - where you could crank out an art asset or a bare-bones new feature in an afternoon. The difficulty then was of course the massive limitations of the hardware. I think Crobbler just doesn't appreciate how much time goes into feature development in TYOOL 2016. He can't just slap some code together and have a new UI or a farming system in alpha status in a couple of days. Even the strange obsession with mocap speaks to this. It's like somebody read him a pamphlet on the developments of the last 20 years and he just hopped right into writing a game.

Games today - especially big, ponderous beasts like SC - require clear direction. A single art asset takes an exponential amount of time to development next to the simple 2D planes of the last age. Scaling up on time and money isn't enough; changes in the pipeline can throw out thousands of manhours of work. I don't think he really gets that. He probably figures, if we lose a thousand manhours, I'll just hire a thousand employees to fix it! If I want the best looking engine to work in this huge MMO I just need more money and more people! We can fix it! Real game development doesn't work that way. More cooks doesn't get the food out any faster.

What Crobbler should have done - needs to do, if he actually wants to release a game - is sign the whole thing over to somebody else and walk away from it. It can be his baby, let it be somebody else's project.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Chalks posted:

*edit* just noticed the other guy's signature. It's times like this that I hope the game comes out.

The Star Citizen carebear contingent seems to be disproportionately eccentric.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
No matter what game comes out, no matter how good it is, the cultists will not admit that it could possibly be as good as Star Citizen will be because they imagined a perfect game that is unattainable.

Which is also why many of them will freak out when the game comes out and doesn't literally suck their dick. The others will dig in harder and exclaim that you don't understand CIG's vision.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

G0RF posted:

You seriously shouldn't skip pages. Maybe when it's clear it's hit a bad stretch, skip ahead 10. You're going to miss too much and still be lost when you catch up.

even then, chances are you'll miss a fantastic joke, jpeg or effort post. try and read them all.

i think the only downright boring pages have been the recent tax talk! pages, but i am really bad at understanding numbers. that said i am still not dumb enough to spend x dollars on star citizen

also holy lollin moses at being impressed by ladder climbing animations. it really does feel like none of these guys have played a videogame since the early nineties.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mendrian posted:

He can't just slap some code together and have a new UI or a farming system in alpha status in a couple of days.

Games today - especially big, ponderous beasts like SC - require clear direction. A single art asset takes an exponential amount of time to development next to the simple 2D planes of the last age.

Honestly it's not even that-- you can certainly slap together something barebones in a short period of time (just look at the 1-dev Plebian updates), it just gets exponentially more complicated every time you increase the scope. Ferdelicious assets, plus massively multiplayer, plus FPS plus space sim plus plus plus and suddenly you're looking at a 20 year dev project-- and they haven't even started doing DNF's musical engine routine, either. How much you want to bet it's coming, though...

I think the best part is this isn't new, this was still the case "back in the day" even if the scopes you were trying to add weren't as impressive. It still absolutely boggles me that he took nothing away from being kicked off his own project beyond "microsoft ruined my vision".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

• Locked thread