Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
DTRPG is running a big sale on corebooks under a "New Year, New Game" sale. There's way too many for me to pick out any gems though, so I thought to bring it up so we could share notable titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide is real good, and the best way into the Cortex System (despite the name, no additional books are required).

Kerberos Club: Fate Edition is fun, even if just for the setting (it's basically The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen).

Reign, Greg Stolze's excellent fantasy game using the One Roll system is on sale too, and worth it just for the Company system.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Looks like my entire stock is on sale for this:

Dungeon Bastards: A rules-lite, beer-and-pretzel roleplaying game about being drunk and disorderly adventurers.

Chambara: A Duel of Souls: A rules-lite Samurai game meant to emulate Chambara films like the works of Akira Kurosawa.

Save The Date! A romcom party game.

The Samurai A 13th Age Roleplaying Game: A 13th Age Roleplaying 3rd Party class that is meant for mounted combat.

The Monk: A Dungeon World Playbook that adds the missing martial arts elements to your Dungeon World adventure.

I hope you enjoy any product you choose to purchase!

Covok fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 7, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Urban Shadows is a PbtA take on a World of Darkness style setting.

Beyond the Wall is a really good retroclone that's focused on "young adult" fantasy, with some great worldbuilding mechanics worked into chargen.

Mindjammer is a ridiculously complete Fate Core-powered transhuman sci-fi game.

Monsters and Other Childish Things is a game about kids and the horrible, otherdimensional Cthuloidian things that love them.

Part-Time Gods is Scion "done right".

Dice & Glory needs to be seen to be believed.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Beyond the Wall is in there, as are a lot of Crawford's OSR books.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Part-Time Gods is Scion "done right".

Which version of this is better, the standard or the Fate version?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Which version of this is better, the standard or the Fate version?

They're about the same; it's more a case of using either a sort of White Wolf/d20 mix or Fate Core. Personally, I prefer the Fate version but that's because I'm a bigger fan of the system.

I reviewed the original d20-ish version if you want to see how it looks.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

They're about the same; it's more a case of using either a sort of White Wolf/d20 mix or Fate Core. Personally, I prefer the Fate version but that's because I'm a bigger fan of the system.

I reviewed the original d20-ish version if you want to see how it looks.

Awesome, thanks. This and Mindjammer are on my short list of things to buy.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I bought Mindjammer, both the RPG and the tie-in novel (it was a bundle). The novel's writing is terrible. I remember there being something like the Federation's anti-genetic-engineering laws, too, which seems odd for a transhumanist RPG.

Edit: upon looking, I can't find it, but I did find that magic quantum in the Mindjammer setting makes it impossible to fork a consciousness or transmit it via radio/laser, which is weird.

Edit2: I remembered that I was thinking of Nova Praxis, the other FATE-based transhuman RPG, where there is a "Humanity Preservation Act, a series of restrictions that limit how far you may diverge from a set definition of human."

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 8, 2016

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So there are a bunch of new Bundles of Holding, some of which look pretty interesting. Is champions any good, and what do you guys think of the sword and sorcery games they have?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Hero/Champions is probably the crunchiest possible Supers game. That said, you really can do pretty much whatever you want with it. The flexibility just comes at the cost of simplicity. In play, it's not that difficult though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Champions is probably one of the most math-intensive games as far as character creation goes, and is more than a bit of a slog in play unless you're a veteran at it. It is remarkably open-ended, but is kind of the epitome of the '80s toolkit universal system zeitgeist where anything could be mathed out into a system concept.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
One of my current gaming groups somewhat infamously got through 5/12ths of a turn in HERO before aborting the game and deciding to play something else. It's really, really crunchy - too crunchy for my tastes and I quite like GURPS. I'm honestly not sure it does anything GURPS doesn't do better. I'll tell you what though, if you wanted to run Worm and were absolutely determined to do it justice, HERO is the system to do it in. Just... gently caress, man.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So there are a bunch of new Bundles of Holding, some of which look pretty interesting. Is champions any good, and what do you guys think of the sword and sorcery games they have?

Barbarians of Lemuria might be the best sword & sorcery game I've ever played this side of Crypts & Things and Atlantis the Second Age. It's better than any official Conan game by miles, although that isn't saying much. As for the rest, I've heard good things about On Mighty Thews, and Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk has a very interesting sounding setting.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Champions is probably one of the most math-intensive games as far as character creation goes, and is more than a bit of a slog in play unless you're a veteran at it. It is remarkably open-ended, but is kind of the epitome of the '80s toolkit universal system zeitgeist where anything could be mathed out into a system concept.

We used to play Champions and battles routinely took over six hours to resolve. Lots of cool stuff going on and great fun building characters, but...yeah. I would never be able to stick with something like that nowadays. And personally I thought it was a much better fit for supers than it ever was for the other genres they tried to do with the HERO system.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Champions/HERO System makes for a hell of a read, but it's honestly probably better looked at as a customizable grid-based skirmish wargame, rather than an RPG.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The printed 5th edition literally stops bullets, so it's genre-appropriate.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

What is Osprey Publishing and what do they do? Are these games, books, settings, what?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What is Osprey Publishing and what do they do? Are these games, books, settings, what?

I thought google would illuminate the situation, but it only made it more confusing. I found a company that specializes in making history books about warfare: not games, books.

And the details of the products doesn't help either.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Opsrey is still known for military history books, but they have been breaking into gaming in a big way with Frostgrave, Black Ops, and other titles.

Osprey Adventures are fiction story books that run for 80 pages. Various authors, so variable quality of writing I'd assume. (To be clear, these are not game books, just sci-fi, fantasy and horror books).

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Osprey publishing is awesome.

Originally they produced very well researched and illustrated (Angus McBride, etc.) short succinct military history books. Their main line was these very clear and well documented books on the major battles of history that are a joy to read.

Of course this appeals to hard core historical wargamers and they expanded into that field with some wargaming rules at some point.

https://ospreypublishing.com/

As to what are these Osprey Adventures? I don't know.

The The Nazi Occult is by Kenneth Hite though.

Edit: Beaten :negative:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's also notable that Osprey books are well-illustrated, so if you're doing historical minis painting, live historical recreations, illustrations, etc., their stuff is pretty useful as a reference for uniforms and equipment. You need a book that shows you what the Wellington Light Cavalry or the Czech Legion or the Mamluk-Askari looked like and what weapons they used, they're your guys.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

So what are these Osprey Adventures? Settings, or short stories? Because, as useful as their military history stuff is, none of it's in the bundle.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

These are Osprey's fiction line, which gives fictional subjects the same in-depth Osprey treatment they usually save for Napoleon's shoe-shiner brigade or whatever. The Nazi Occult one is particularly funny because Osprey's audience didn't initially get that it was a put-on.

Think of them as system-neutral source books.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
nm

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Pathfinder books on Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/paizo-pathfinder-bundle

Dang that's a lotta books.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's still easier to reference the SRD for most of it, tho.

Thanks, OGL! :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel stupid acknowledging it, but is anything cheap for "DM Appreciation Day" this year?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I personally don't like the system, but Castles & Crusades is still on the Bundle of Holding for another week or so. It's essentially AD&D rules but with d20's unified resolution mechanics.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Today starts the annual GM's Day sale for a whole host of products today through March 17th!

And yes, I am participating.

Also, Death to Alignment is now a Best Copper Seller on Drive-Thru RPG. Feels really good, man.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Just seen Deadpool with a friend and he was wondering if there are any decent superhero RPGs about. Preferably stuff that doesn't involve endless charts to resolve combat. Does anyone have any recommendations?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
You want the What System should I use? thread.

And, off the top of my head: Cortex+/Marvel, Masks (PBTA), Wild Talents, and any number of narrative/reskinnable systems like Fate or Strike

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Libertad! posted:

Also, Death to Alignment is now a Best Copper Seller on Drive-Thru RPG. Feels really good, man.

Yeah, this was a great spite-buy.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, this was a great spite-buy.

Who did you spite by buying it? :smugdog:

Covok
May 27, 2013

All my titles are on sale for GM's Day~!

Dungeon Bastards: A belligerent and drunk fantasy adventure. Sometimes called the quest to get crunk, this motherfucker be a crazy way to play through town and get a date with Mary Jane, if you know what I mean.

Chambara: A Duel Of Souls: Enter your favorite Kurosawa film as you live the life of the legendary, romanticized Samurai. Use your words as much as your sword, but, remember, any battle can be your last.

Save The Date: Try to navigate the complexities of the dating world as fate itself tries to ruin you. A romcom game about a tug of war between the plucky protagonist and fate itself.

The Samurai: A Class For The 13th Age Roleplaying System: A mounted combat class for the 13th Roleplaying System that was built to be a Defender who could dabble as a striker or controller.

The Monk: A Dungeon World Playbook: If there was one thing missing from Dungeon World, it was the Mystic of Basic D&D, if you ask me. Bring some martial arts action to your Dungeon World game with The Monk!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Libertad! posted:

Is this book really Pathfinder-specific, or would it work well with 5e? (Which already started to do away with alignments.)

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

lifg posted:

Is this book really Pathfinder-specific, or would it work well with 5e? (Which already started to do away with alignments.)

I don't know enough about 5E mechanics and how they handle alignment to weigh in on that. I wrote it specifically for Pathfinder in that the game mechanics of that system are sufficiently intertwined that removing it will create ripple effects on many classes, spells, magic items, etc.

I do talk about things like morality alternatives such as a 3-axis alignment (Good/Neutral/Evil) and thought experiment essays exposing some fundamental problems that gaming groups should work out or be aware of, like how the evil alignments as written in Pathfinder require a specific set of anti-social personality disorders in order to qualify for; meaning that by RAW a warlord or dictator committing horrible atrocities with the best of intentions can still be non-evil.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Libertad! posted:

I don't know enough about 5E mechanics and how they handle alignment to weigh in on that. I wrote it specifically for Pathfinder in that the game mechanics of that system are sufficiently intertwined that removing it will create ripple effects on many classes, spells, magic items, etc.

I do talk about things like morality alternatives such as a 3-axis alignment (Good/Neutral/Evil) and thought experiment essays exposing some fundamental problems that gaming groups should work out or be aware of, like how the evil alignments as written in Pathfinder require a specific set of anti-social personality disorders in order to qualify for; meaning that by RAW a warlord or dictator committing horrible atrocities with the best of intentions can still be non-evil.

I might pick it up just for the essays.

Alignment is such a weird part of D&D. It's fun to use, but doesn't make too much sense unless you're playing a specific type of fantasy. A lot like having evil monster races.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

lifg posted:

I might pick it up just for the essays.

Alignment is such a weird part of D&D. It's fun to use, but doesn't make too much sense unless you're playing a specific type of fantasy. A lot like having evil monster races.

Having evil monster races only makes sense with alignment as a real thing. 'Evil' cultures can certainly be a thing even without alignment, but having innately Evil monster races is otherwise a lazy and honestly racist hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
DriveThru is doing another set of RAINN charity bundles, 2 RPG bundles and one each for fiction and comics:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8877/RAINN

RPG Bundle 1 has a few interesting items such as Our Last Best Hope, the God-Machine Chronicle for New World of Darkness, and Owl Hoot Trail. Never heard of much of anything in the other one. Both RPG Bundles are $25*, the fiction and comic bundles are cheaper.

*It's giving me a "previous purchaser" discount because I got a bundle last year making all of them free because the only paid item in the bundle is the RAINN Charity Relief donation itself, which I've already "purchased". I don't think it's supposed to be doing this.