Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Someone at the other campus in our university, in the year of the lord 2016, decided to make a web-based program that only works in Internet Explorer.

I can do one better...

2 years ago we had a vendor who wanted us to beta test their new quoting and ordering website. Couldn't get it to work properly in any browser we tried. Then they mention it works best with OPERA . I try it and sure enough it works!

The thing is Opera had just 2-3 months before announced they where going to be switching to WebKit and retiring their own rendering engine. So this vendor managed to make a website that would only work in a browser that was already being retired.

From what I could tell they where using a bunch of Opera specific CSS prefixes and possibly some javascript stuff. Thankfully they fixed it before going live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Dude, vendors who only support their site if someone's using IE is still the industry standard in my experience. It's complete bullshit.

SHARE loving POINT gets all jankwagon in Chrome or Firefox for us, for example.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void
The first ticket for a newly deployed enterprise WiFi setup came in.

They have a Wii in the gym without the Internet Channel loaded so they can't accept the usage agreement on the portal page.

:shepface:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

larchesdanrew posted:

A vendor came in.

I hear him talking to the secretary downstairs. I hear her say "You'd need to talk to our tech guys, let me see if he's in." I'm in the process of stepping out to run an errand, I don't have time for this poo poo. I'm so sick of vendors cold calling and I certainly won't abide them just waltzing into my goddamned office unannounced.

Apparently, his company leases and maintains the same copiers and printers we use at no cost, only charges per page (which is a fraction of what my current provider charges per page), and monitors the printers to automatically order toner/paper when low. It'll end up saving us close to $13k a year, according to my calculations.

My bullshit meter is going absolutely nuts, but I hope it's true cause I'm about fed up with our current printer company nickel and diming us to death over every little thing and then offering the worst maintenance I've ever seen.

Be prepared for a lovely data collection agent that relies completely on SNMP and the worst customer portal you've ever seen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Terminal posted:

They have a Wii in the gym without the Internet Channel loaded so they can't accept the usage agreement on the portal page.

Whitelist the MAC? Or cable it since it's a Wii.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
client security manager: Why don't we have the rule that detects SSLV2 in place???

Because last time we switched that on for ten minutes and the absolute inundation of logs killed the million dollar server, literally everything you have is using SSLV2. Maybe patch your poo poo instead of expecting the IPS to save you?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

Someone at the other campus in our university, in the year of the lord 2016, decided to make a web-based program that only works in Internet Explorer.

Come on, guys, this is loving clown shoes.

One of our portals, that we actively maintain and update frequently, still uses Silverlight.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Migishu posted:

One of our portals, that we actively maintain and update frequently, still uses Silverlight.

If it's good enough for SCCM... :sludgepal:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Intune is apparently the new hotness and makes up a third of the Enterprise Mobility Suite that Microsoft are trying to push. Use Windows 10 with Azure AD! they will say. DirectAccess is old tech now, who really needs to domain join things?

Intune needs Silverlight. gently caress sake guys.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ozz81 posted:

Not just people like that but also people who assume that someone who isn't married and has no kids is suddenly the 24/7 go-to person because "hey you don't have family stuff YOU can do this". Sorry assface, I've still got friends and family and other poo poo outside work I'd rather be doing. Not to mention I've seen too many times were someone with kids uses that as an excuse to leave early, arrive late or take a bunch of time off, and nobody questions it...yet if I end up 5 minutes late because of traffic and an accident, I'm the loving selfish Antichrist making excuses. Surprisingly, it happened more in large companies than smaller ones, after a while I started making poo poo up until they left me alone and made the other people pull their goddamn weight.

I'm especially thankful at my new gig that being "on-call" amounts to "don't be drunk/high and leave your phone on wherever you go, just in the very unlikely case we need to call", because my new boss is awesome and understanding. Being a small company probably helps a lot though.

Terminal posted:

drat outdated tech gets everywhere, they should've upgraded to a WiiU years ages ago :colbert:.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlternateAccount posted:

Dude, vendors who only support their site if someone's using IE is still the industry standard in my experience. It's complete bullshit.

I'm pretty proud that the company I work for specifically doesn't support using our service in IE.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

divabot posted:

This is true. Literally billions of dollars and pounds and euros are processed by VBA macros. That is the language the financial infrastructure of our civilisation is written in. I know someone who gets paid by dumptruck to write VBA, and he says that being very afraid is the correct response.

At my last job at a bank, someone called FREAKING out because the excel macro they made would round down cents instead of up if they only copied that page out of the workbook and broke the references. Also, it only happened on some machines, and only on February during leap years. That was a fun one to diagnose.

Also, it was somehow my fault and I had to "fix excel" and the answer couldn't involve changing the macro or workflow in any way.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm especially thankful at my new gig that being "on-call" amounts to "don't be drunk/high and leave your phone on wherever you go, just in the very unlikely case we need to call", because my new boss is awesome and understanding. Being a small company probably helps a lot though.

drat outdated tech gets everywhere, they should've upgraded to a WiiU years ages ago :colbert:.
My on-call is to support a team of 10, probably none of which have the number without looking it up. A year in, no calls. :)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The software used by several large and not so large insurance companies, created by one of the multinational largest contacting firms in the world, only supports IE officially. Yeah. Oh, and it is poo poo software in the first place.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A captive/niche market means you spend the bare minimum on development. Why waste time making the product better when your customers can't leave anyway.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 3, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khisanth Magus posted:

The software used by several large and not so large insurance companies, created by one of the multinational largest contacting firms in the world, only supports IE officially. Yeah. Oh, and it is poo poo software in the first place.

Specifically Internet Explorer 6. Or else the software doesnt work.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

This week I found out that most of the automated testing that the other dev team does is by using Selenium. Which does UI testing only. No unit testing or functional testing at all. :stare:

Yeah I think I'm gonna... do all three instead of just the one.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

KillHour posted:

At my last job at a bank, someone called FREAKING out because the excel macro they made would round down cents instead of up if they only copied that page out of the workbook and broke the references. Also, it only happened on some machines, and only on February during leap years. That was a fun one to diagnose.

Also, it was somehow my fault and I had to "fix excel" and the answer couldn't involve changing the macro or workflow in any way.

I really hope your answer was actually just "No" but I know better :smith:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LordVorbis posted:

I really hope your answer was actually just "No" but I know better :smith:

"Let me get you up to my tier 2 tech!"

:byewhore:

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
New guy (6 months, when does someone stop being the new guy?) had a creative answer when a customer called in with a cryptolocker infection.

He decided to ask he customer to send the required amount ($250) to his own personal Paypal, and use that to buy bitcoins for the ransom. :staredog:
Of course it blew up in his face and it's a miracle he wasn't fired.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

notwithoutmyanus posted:

a :yotj: came in ...

I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories in the coming weeks/months as I work my way up at my new company. How does working for IT in the financial industry compare to those of you in medical IT, as in: what is the worst part of IT in the financial industry? Just trying to get my expectations set properly.

It depends.

Are you working for a bank, or are you working in the trading markets?

If its a bank, enjoy paperwork and restrictive security measures and never working more than 40 hours in a week. If its trading, enjoy never not working.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

DigitalMocking posted:

If its a bank, enjoy paperwork and restrictive security measures and never working more than 40 hours in a week.

As a guy that works for a bank I can tell you with certainty that this is (unfortunately) incorrect. It depends on the role, but we work a fuckload in Systems Engineering.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

As a guy that works for a bank I can tell you with certainty that this is (unfortunately) incorrect. It depends on the role, but we work a fuckload in Systems Engineering.

drat man, that's harsh. Every network/system admin I knew who worked for the big banks in New York and Chicago thought working more than their 40 hour week was sacrilege. Worse than union guys.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

DigitalMocking posted:

drat man, that's harsh. Every network/system admin I knew who worked for the big banks in New York and Chicago thought working more than their 40 hour week was sacrilege. Worse than union guys.

It might be because I work for a medium sized bank; things are probably very different for Citi, Capital One, etc.

I can tell you though that working for Discover also entailed a shitload of work, and they aren't exactly tiny.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

DigitalMocking posted:

At my credit union, no other department is required to work over 40 hours, so hell no we're not staying past 40. Anything that requires off-hour work results in comp time available immediately, usually cashed in by coming in late the next day or taking a day off later that week.

It's beautiful.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tigern posted:

New guy (6 months, when does someone stop being the new guy?) had a creative answer when a customer called in with a cryptolocker infection.

He decided to ask he customer to send the required amount ($250) to his own personal Paypal, and use that to buy bitcoins for the ransom. :staredog:
Of course it blew up in his face and it's a miracle he wasn't fired.

To be fair, that's probably the easiest way to pay the ransom if there were no backups. The client isn't going to know what bitcoin is, let alone how to buy it and pay a ransom with it, and if there's a time limit there may not be a way for the accounting folks to figure out how to pass the money through an invoice correctly.

Cowboy as gently caress but totally understandable.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, that's probably the easiest way to pay the ransom if there were no backups. The client isn't going to know what bitcoin is, let alone how to buy it and pay a ransom with it, and if there's a time limit there may not be a way for the accounting folks to figure out how to pass the money through an invoice correctly.

Cowboy as gently caress but totally understandable.

Besides, if they can pay their own ransom, what do they need tech support for?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
In my experience you stop being the new guy when someone else gets brought on.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Was gonna post this so I'll quote instead

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

stubblyhead posted:

This applies basically everywhere, even the Supreme Court.

quote:

In the justices' private conferences, the current practice is for them to speak and vote in order of seniority from the Chief Justice first to the most junior Associate Justice last. The most junior Associate Justice in these conferences is charged with any menial tasks the justices may require as they convene alone, such as answering the door of their conference room, serving coffee, and transmitting the orders of the Court to the court's clerk.[93]

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

Include Microsoft Edge in that list, for even more fun.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One page I use all the time in SharePoint lags like crazy in IE, works great in Chrome.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sharepoint is butter smooth in Chrome for me. IE is just a turd - I can't believe how badly it runs even freshly installed on a brand new system it lags to gently caress out loading its lovely MSN homepage.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Ghostlight posted:

Sharepoint is butter smooth in Chrome for me. IE is just a turd - I can't believe how badly it runs even freshly installed on a brand new system it lags to gently caress out loading its lovely MSN homepage.

It runs fine from my experience as well in Firefox and chrome. But some poo poo just flat doesn't work unless it's in IE. I had to be reminded of that every few months when someone would trip into one of those things.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Ticket!
Projector in conference room just shut off. Help!!!

Walk in, tighten the loose power plug, watch the logo show up, walk out.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

A ticket didn't come in (because I work retail.)

So the server that all our transactions go through died on Saturday. Store manager was trying get it fixed till like midnight and decided the problem was the power supply. Next day I grab one of my spares and let him borrow it but after he hooks everything up it still won't work. Turns out the cd-rom drive had hosed something up; once that was unhooked it would boot just fine. But now it was getting an error (copy pasting from googling what I think I remember the error was)

code:
kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 
unknown block(0,0)
So he calls me up to the office since he knows I'm a computer guy (now leaving the floor managerless) because it's really loving important that the server gets running before the end of the day in order to run reports. After spending a bunch of time googling poo poo (I'm not a linux guy) he mentions how he flashed the bios at one point. So I start going through the BIOS settings since flashing it would have defaulted everything. I notice that the sata drive is set to AHCI and knowing nothing about this server other than it's loving old I set it to legacy and suddenly it boots again.

Thank you for listening to my story.

Also, while he's familiar with the paper clip test, I saw him test the old power supply and he was testing entirely the wrong pins. This entire situation was the definition of knowing just enough to be dangerous.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Garrand posted:

Also, while he's familiar with the paper clip test, I saw him test the old power supply and he was testing entirely the wrong pins. This entire situation was the definition of knowing just enough to be dangerous.

no, NO fuckin nopety nope nope are there actually people out in the world that still do this poo poo?!?

Also, if you can bring a server back up from BIOS defaults, why are you working retail? You could be making so much more money

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

no, NO fuckin nopety nope nope are there actually people out in the world that still do this poo poo?!?

Also, if you can bring a server back up from BIOS defaults, why are you working retail? You could be making so much more money

Because I'm terrible at interviewing and other than poo poo like comcast customer support (which I did and quit because I just couldn't take it) it's hard to get a job with no actual experience.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Garrand posted:

Because I'm terrible at interviewing and other than poo poo like comcast customer support (which I did and quit because I just couldn't take it) it's hard to get a job with no actual experience.

Now you have a story that you can tell during an interview about a) both working under time pressure and b) doing something outside your scope of work and c) fixing a problem that could have caused serious problems for the business

Congrats, now you can graduate from retail to help desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Garrand posted:

He should stick the paperclip in the wall socket to make sure that's hot first.

• Locked thread