Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mitt Romney posted:

Any idea what kind of chance she'll have, assuming SC gets blocked the entire election?

She'd really need everything to go right to even have a shot. Grassley is one of, if not the, most popular senators in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
I should say, I'm skeptical of an IA pickup (and if the Dems are winning IA, they already have the Senate), but a strong candidate making Grassley sweat is going to divert desperately needed funds from other, more likely races (NH, PA, OH, etc.).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Franco Potente posted:

I should say, I'm skeptical of an IA pickup (and if the Dems are winning IA, they already have the Senate), but a strong candidate making Grassley sweat is going to divert desperately needed funds from other, more likely races (NH, PA, OH, etc.).

This, and like pointed out above, it's important to have a decent candidate in case something wacky happens. You don't get the "legitimate rape" victory in Missouri if you don't have anyone running against Todd Akin.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Akin was trying to unseat a sitting senator. That year's Indiana race is a better comparison. Or, more likely, Ahn Cao from 2008 as I don't think that anything short of death or jail will be keeping Grassley out of the senate.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

whoops
https://twitter.com/NRSC/status/707297607488565249

e: it's gone

Pinterest Mom has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Mar 8, 2016

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

They deleted it.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Was coming here to post this too. Amazingly stupid.

Although they did successfully smear a war hero in 2002 in one of the dirtiest races in history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxby_Chambliss#2002_race

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For those of you who missed the reference:

"An Iraq War veteran, Duckworth served as a U.S. Army helicopter pilot and suffered severe combat wounds, losing both of her legs and damaging her right arm."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_Duckworth

Someone tried STANDARD_GOP_TALKING_POINT_35 without even looking at her, let alone her record.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Holy loving poo poo.

Ironic, I suppose, that she is missing both her legs, since Max Cleland was too and he got smeared the same way.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

:vince::vince::vince:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alter Ego posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

Ironic, I suppose, that she is missing both her legs, since Max Cleland was too and he got smeared the same way.
That race was so depressing. Then again it was merely a preview of the 2004 presidential race.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

That race was so depressing. Then again it was merely a preview of the 2004 presidential race.

I think that iconic picture of that horrible woman at the RNC wearing that smarmy Purple Heart bandaid really summed it up.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Come on, thats pretty drat funny. Like, you would not loving believe how many great jokes one can make at Duckworth's expense.

For instance, what's a Duckworth these days?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Come on, thats pretty drat funny. Like, you would not loving believe how many great jokes one can make at Duckworth's expense.

For instance, what's a Duckworth these days?

Yeah, it's real fuckin' hilarious.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Alter Ego posted:

This but unironically. Politicians with physical or mental disabilities are great.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cliff Racer posted:

This but unironically. Politicians with physical or mental disabilities are great.

Ariel Sharon was the greatest politician for eight years running, then.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FAUXTON posted:

We had decades of mentally unwell Reagan and Thatcher too.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FAUXTON posted:

Paging AvShalom to YCS, paging AvShalom.

Arik was a pretty goddamn great politician. I'd vote for Arik for Senate.

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, I set it up wrong. Anyways, a duck's worth an arm and a leg these days.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chuck Grassley has a Democratic challenger: former Lt. Gov. and State Agriculture Secretary Patty Judge.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

Chuck Grassley has a Democratic challenger: former Lt. Gov. and State Agriculture Secretary Patty Judge.

Yeah, we spent a bit of time talking about it on the last two pages.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
lol i almost can't believe he's under 50% approval rating over SCOTUS

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
hot drat if chuck grassley gets dunked on :getin:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ppp always has lower approvals than other people but their last one for grassley wasn't <50%

if he really does have to be the front man for never-ending obstructionism, i guess i could imagine him taking real damage. it'd be nice

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
My money's on Jane Kelly for Obama's SCOTUS nominee. As a fellow Iowan for whom Grassley has pushed in the past, her selection is either going to make Grassley look hypocritical, foolish, and disloyal to Iowa; or there will soon be a new liberal SCOTUS. Win-win.

PPP has Grassley at 47/44 approval for March 1-2.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i suspect jane kelly would be the best pick. obviously i know like 0.0001% of the things about her, but she's a former public defender which would be a nice perspective to have on the supreme court, you'd think, and grassley has some really, really, really nice quotes about her that would look really bad in attack ads

btw senate primaries comin up yall. duckworth is almost certainly gonna win, she has all the money and endorsements and i think her opponents are splitting the chicago vote

it really endlessly entertains me how uncompetitive primaries are below the presidential level. it's completely intentional. the first sign of this trump/bernie poo poo actually causing 'change' would be anything out of the normal at all happening at the senatorial or congressioanl levels. haven't seen signs of it yet. i spose its early

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

oystertoadfish posted:

it really endlessly entertains me how uncompetitive primaries are below the presidential level. it's completely intentional. the first sign of this trump/bernie poo poo actually causing 'change' would be anything out of the normal at all happening at the senatorial or congressioanl levels. haven't seen signs of it yet. i spose its early

Not sure what planet you're on be we have a spate of competitive senate primaries this year. PA (D), FL (R), MD (D), NV (R), NV (D), the California jungle primary and (debatably) FL (D) all have competitive primaries this year. There's also a couple others that are probably being contested (like Maryland (R), for instance) but nobody cares because the race won't be competitive in the fall. Same with the house. If you mean people primarying incumbents then no duh, it doesn't happen at the presidential level either.

Furthermore, the reason a lot of these primaries aren't competitive is because the candidates really are a good fit for their races. Any single senate primary is as likely to be uncompetitive as any single state's presidential primary. Its just that you have multiple states deciding in the presidential race to make things look closer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is Bernie up for reelection this year, or can he keep his Senate seat if he loses the nomination?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is Bernie up for reelection this year, or can he keep his Senate seat if he loses the nomination?

Bernie's up in 2018.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

If you mean people primarying incumbents then no duh, it doesn't happen at the presidential level either.

Furthermore, the reason a lot of these primaries aren't competitive is because the candidates really are a good fit for their races. Any single senate primary is as likely to be uncompetitive as any single state's presidential primary. Its just that you have multiple states deciding in the presidential race to make things look closer.

that is what i meant, partially, speaking in the context of how i don't think grassleys gonna lose - i could've been clearer. if every office had a two term limit maybe they'd all be as competitive as the presidency, but the way the system is set up, the vast majority of Congress comes back every time and the spectating interest focuses on open seats in the primary, followed by a relatively short list of swing districts that has been shortening for a decade or more. you're right that this phenomenon is duplicated on the presidential level, and that it doesn't mean competition is entirely absent

really though grassleys main strength is that he's a really good politician who works really hard to keep up his name recognition and responsiveness to constituents back home, which is independent of the structural factors i brought up

edit: ok so i should have said non-open-seat primaries are uncompetitive, as is i can see how what i said made no sense

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Mar 11, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

Ben Carson, who just days ago dropped his lackluster Republican Party presidential bid amid languishing poll numbers and a disappearing profile, is leading in Florida polling by a wide margin, but in the contest for the Sunshine State's soon-to-be-open Senate seat.

A new poll shows 56 percent of likely voters would choose Carson if he were to enter the state GOP primary for the job Sen. Marco Rubio plans to vacate. If Carson doesn't run in what's likely to be a crowded field, according to the poll, voters so far are backing Florida Rep. David Jolly, but far less enthusiastically: He polled at 18 percent, 38 points behind Carson.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Please god Ben Carson don't run. Just....disappear for a little bit.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Why is anyone seriously talking about Ben Carson for FL senate? What's he going to do, run a write-in? the ballots are already printed and early Voting has started.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Why is anyone seriously talking about Ben Carson for FL senate? What's he going to do, run a write-in? the ballots are already printed and early Voting has started.

This is only the presidential primary. Senate primaries are in August.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Dear Florida Republicans, please run an unpopular gently caress face and give the Florida Democrats a chance. You know there's no fun in winning if you can't pull a Rick Scott level disaster across the finish line. That less than 1% win was loving sweet, wasn't it? Please don't run Sleepy Time C, you know the voters here are too stupid for such a thing to be any fun.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

skaboomizzy posted:

This is only the presidential primary. Senate primaries are in August.

Yeah, the senate deadlines have yet to be passed. Its why I always bring up the possibility of Rubio admitting defeat and pulling a Rand. Course that would take him out of the running in a contested convention. For some reason Carson looks like he'll be endorsing Trump tomorrow (it can't all be because he hates Cruz, right?) so maybe he's positioning himself for the Florida run he's currently avowing. I think he'd be an "okay" candidate in the fall though Murphy would be particularly well suited to beating him.

As much as Florida holds its primaries late PA holds its early, a little over a month from now. If McGuinty were to do what everyone but me here is saying she will and beat Sestak, now is the time for her to start the ad blitz. As is she's only running introductory spots and Sestak maintains his small advantage over her (with most voters undecided, as usual) due to name recognition and previous good will from the electorate.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
New poll shows Edwards over Van Hollen in the MD-Sen primary.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think most recent polls have actually shown her ahead, or at least narrowly leading, though Van Hollen is running a far superior campaign. Its a real shame.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Shinjobi posted:

Please god Ben Carson don't run. Just....disappear for a little bit.

He really would be a terrible senator. I'm not even talking about from a policy standpoint. From the way his presidential campaign was run, it just doesn't seem like he cares about doing the job of a politician.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Ben Carson could easily lose a senate run, but win the primary on name recognition alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm pretty sure Ben Carson could easily lose a senate run, but win the primary on name recognition alone.

I think Ben Carson would be a terrible general election candidate, but he would raise a lot of money. Of course, being Ben Carson, he'd spend all that money on raising more money.

• Locked thread