Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are always going to be people who want more than just bus journey time wasters, I'm hoping more than reducing handhelds to a niche, but who knows, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Little kids can't tell good games from poo poo games and iPad games are like a dollar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

There are always going to be people who want more than just bus journey time wasters, I'm hoping more than reducing handhelds to a niche, but who knows, I guess.

I think the issue is that there certainly are those people but the number of people who want that in a portable device is debatable. Unless you have a lot of travel time there's not a ton of dedicated interest in portable devices. Japan used to be reliable for this but they went all-in on mobile. Games that used to be reliable system sellers (like Tetris) can be played portable and some of the most popular games in the world (Minecraft!) can be played on tablets. Not to mention that now a lot of kids have phones or tablets and thus a harder time convincing mom or dad to shell out the cast for a dedicated device, and probably less interest in doing so. Licensed games have largely died off in favor of mobile licensed games and those were a big reliable part of selling to younger kids who wanted something based off their favorite show.

Maybe we'll be surprised by the NX or whatever but frankly I suspect if there's a niche Nintendo will fill it only due to lack of enough room for competition.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

...I'm gonna get my niece a 2DS for her birthday

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
imo all consoles have their days counted, I'd rather buy a smartphone capable of playing the latest games and just use a bluetooth gamepad and have it transmit its image wirelessly to a TV.

Sony are clearly ready for this future with PS Now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Little kids can't tell good games from poo poo games

Yes they can

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unless you're talking like 6 year olds or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

El Hefe posted:

imo all consoles have their days counted, I'd rather buy a smartphone capable of playing the latest games and just use a bluetooth gamepad and have it transmit its image wirelessly to a TV.

Sony are clearly ready for this future with PS Now.

Consoles are fine for the foreseeable future because a handheld device that can play high-end games is not going to be cost effective anytime soon, and most major consoles are diversifying into multimedia devices rather than just dedicated gaming devices.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Vita is no longer on Gamestop's system menu. VR is now in its spot. It was moved to the "more" section.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

I don't know but they seem to have virtually every Psx game that's worth a poo poo . I've had pretty much 100% success rate when looking for games I was nostalgic for.

Except for gran turismo, wtf sony

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Eventually the PS7 will be a chip implanted in your brain that displays interfaces on the inside of your occipital lobe and you'll be able to "like" another player's gameplay videos by farting so it's all moot.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dehry posted:

The Vita is no longer on Gamestop's system menu. VR is now in its spot. It was moved to the "more" section.

They need to put the Blue one on sale.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

http://youtu.be/bsrLAIb2cZc

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sakurazuka posted:

Apart from the bit where all phone games are trash
Well if we're just going by averages, all Vita games are harem anime

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

CrashCat posted:

Well if we're just going by averages, all Vita games are harem anime

Nothing wrong with this.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Are there games of the breadth, depth and quality of SAO, EDF, Helldivers, any Musou, any MH, Ys, Project Diva, Fez, Rayman, MGS3, Peace Walker, Tactics Ogre, Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles, Legend of the Heroes, Persona, FFX/2, Dungeon Travelers, Natural Doctrine on phones?

Not trying to make a point here, i honestly don't know and would like to know what games similar to the ones above are available if they are.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ghost trick. i have an old smt game on my phone too lol

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mithaldu posted:

Are there games of the breadth, depth and quality of SAO, EDF, Helldivers, any Musou, any MH, Ys, Project Diva, Fez, Rayman, MGS3, Peace Walker, Tactics Ogre, Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles, Legend of the Heroes, Persona, FFX/2, Dungeon Travelers, Natural Doctrine on phones?

Not trying to make a point here, i honestly don't know and would like to know what games similar to the ones above are available if they are.
Mostly only if they're ported and even then they take up gigabytes of storage on devices that rarely have that much spare. It doesn't work out well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

A good portion of the games you mentioned would not suffer in the slightest for being on phones and the ones that would only really do so for being more action-focused which is basically a problem in want of a solution. Also like half of them are approach or more than a decade old. Tactics Ogre isn't on phones but Final Fantasy Tactics is so it's more a case of porting than inability.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I said are, not could.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

I said are, not could.

That's a fairly meaningless arguments because new games are being ported to mobile fairly regularly. Most of the Final Fantasy series is on there already as are the Dragon Quest games, as are increasingly large numbers of PC classics. You can play XCOM and Grand Theft Auto. FTL or Heartstone, various Telltale Games and so-on. The more powerful and easy mobile devices come the more porting will probably be worthwhile even for a low profit, let alone the $20 or whatever it is S-E sells for.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Playing games on phones sucks, even turn based rpgs

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i solve a picross puzzle on my phone everyday

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cake Attack posted:

:yeah:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That's a fairly meaningless arguments
I'm not trying to make an argument, i was asking for information. Nothing else.

I clearly said so.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Those games can be shoehorned onto phones but they never would have been made just for phones

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Freedom Unite has been on iOS for years.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

iphone 7 will have two big candy buttons on the bottom and we'll all learn to navigate combat menus with them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dehry posted:

No joke the Gamestop by my house has the Vita games in a box in the back and they wont even dig it out and let you browse through it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dehry posted:

I see they're investing in a new sinking ship.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I have more or less no faith in VR either. It's like the HD-DVD of this gen. I put it in the pile with the Kinect, EyeToy, ultrawidescreen monitors, curved monitors, 4/8k resolutions, 24 button gamepads, etc. They might exist, but they're not really necessary.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
hd-dvd wasn't a bad idea it just lost out to bluray

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Higher resolutions also aren't bad ideas they are at best a bit before their time in terms of cost and necessity of adoption.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I bought a VITA recently along with Persona 4 Golden, Persona 4 Dancing All Night, Muramasa, EDF 2, Gravity Rush, and Freedom Wars. I got tactics ogre and Atletier Esha & Logy through the PS store. Are there any other JRPG styled games on the VITA that I should check out? I'm also a big fan of puzzle games so anything like that would be up my alley, too. Also, is it worth it to get PS Plus as a Vita owner?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

trails in the sky, trails of cold steel, tales of hearts R, ys: memories of celceta are all good.

PS Plus is worth it if you have a tiny memory card and want to upload saves but the free games are kinda crap

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Note that the save game uploading comes in the form of automatic backups.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There are good Vita PS+ games every once in a while but it's been pretty bad for a long time. Once the PS4 came out and PS+ was necessary for online play the monthly games gradually started getting a lot worse

If you don't have a PS3/4 I probably wouldn't bother with Plus (this month in particular is maybe the worst ever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I couldn't loving believe it when the guy at the store told me it was 40 some odd dollars for a 16 gb memory card. That seems like a lot of loving money for a glorified SD card. I almost bought Tales of Hearts R earlier, too. The gamestop I was at only had copies with no case to go with it which, gently caress that. I'll have to check that out tho, never actually played a tales game before.