Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

re-edited the ghostbusters trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5182ezO3Tw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Paul Feig has a hall pass for life for Freaks and Geeks, but absolutely nothing in that trailer looks good. Wow.

I was also surprised at how much love The Heat and Spy got. If anything, those movies felt like some of those 90's SNL vehicles where they just have a funny actor improv on camera around a soft script and try to make a movie out of it. All the credit in those movies goes to Melissa McCarthy (who was great). Were the original Ghostbusters really star-vehicles the way this is? I'm too young to remember how people perceived Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd at that stage.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Look at me! I'm Kristen Wiig as a particle physicist! *snicker* isn't that funny that I'm a particle physicist? *snicker*

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Ammanas posted:

Look at me! I'm Kristen Wiig as a particle physicist! *snicker* isn't that funny that I'm a particle physicist? *snicker*

I don't think you know what it means to snicker. The trailer looked awful but you must have seen something else entirely.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

CelticPredator posted:

Love it

Then again, I have no problems with the original trailer.

I went back and re-watched the trailers for Pirates of the Caribbean and National Treasure. Such meh trailers, such good movies.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I liked the trailer and I was prepared to hate it more than any of you.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

CelticPredator posted:

This one is so much better then the real one.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Paul Feig has a hall pass for life for Freaks and Geeks, but absolutely nothing in that trailer looks good. Wow.

I was also surprised at how much love The Heat and Spy got. If anything, those movies felt like some of those 90's SNL vehicles where they just have a funny actor improv on camera around a soft script and try to make a movie out of it. All the credit in those movies goes to Melissa McCarthy (who was great). Were the original Ghostbusters really star-vehicles the way this is? I'm too young to remember how people perceived Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd at that stage.

Murray had done Caddyshack and Tootsie and Stripes in the years before this, and Aykroyd had done The Blues Brothers and Trading Places on top of being parts of the breakout years of SNL early on, so they were quite well known.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Awesome job! I wish you'd cut this with the original Ray Park, Jr. cue though. I can't stand the new version.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

kiimo posted:

Awesome job! I wish you'd cut this with the original Ray Park, Jr. cue though. I can't stand the new version.

I was hoping he'd lay Bustin over it. Agreed, though, I like what you did.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
Holy poo poo you did an amazing job recutting that trailer. Has a much better flow to it now, good work celticpredator!

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

This is a ton better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

Thanks! Means a lot coming from you.

I considered the original, but it doesn't have the same vibe. It wouldn't have flowed all that well.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

The new version goes well with the neon colors of the ghosts and lasers and stuff i think

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

nice job, this is really good

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

Murray had done Caddyshack and Tootsie and Stripes in the years before this, and Aykroyd had done The Blues Brothers and Trading Places on top of being parts of the breakout years of SNL early on, so they were quite well known.

Yeah, I was gonna say, both had been stars in this little show called loving SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Rewatch the trailer but only look at Kate McKinnon's face and reactions

That woman is a national treasure. She is going to be the best part of the movie, mark my words

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

only look at Kate McKinnon's face and reactions

Wait, is there some other way to watch the trailer?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BlueBayou posted:

Rewatch the trailer but only look at Kate McKinnon's face and reactions

That woman is a national treasure. She is going to be the best part of the movie, mark my words

I have no idea who this woman is but I think I love her

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CelticPredator posted:

Thanks! Means a lot coming from you.

I considered the original, but it doesn't have the same vibe. It wouldn't have flowed all that well.

It's really really good. The only nitpick I have is the volume drop at the Ghostbusters logo reveal at the very end. You have all of these great music cues, but that one feels like it (accidentally) falls a little flat.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

I genuinely keep confusing kate mckinnon and elizabeth banks

Feels overly broad and cartoony.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
I think one of the main reasons that everyone is gravitating towards McKinnon is because she's the only one who is genuinely reacting off of the insane poo poo going on around her. Her amusement at the hearse is one of the few highlights in a very not-great trailer. That kind of reaction-based humor is actually more in line with the personality of the original film than whatever-the-hell that circus tall man ghost that was bombing around Times Square was.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Sef! posted:

I think one of the main reasons that everyone is gravitating towards McKinnon is because she's the only one who is genuinely reacting off of the insane poo poo going on around her. Her amusement at the hearse is one of the few highlights in a very not-great trailer. That kind of reaction-based humor is actually more in line with the personality of the original film than whatever-the-hell that circus tall man ghost that was bombing around Times Square was.

Yeah, the look that Venkman gave in the original when Stanz told him how much the car cost is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CPss95p3Ck

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sef! posted:

uhhhh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BonoMan posted:

It's really really good. The only nitpick I have is the volume drop at the Ghostbusters logo reveal at the very end. You have all of these great music cues, but that one feels like it (accidentally) falls a little flat.

Yeah this was a mistake I didn't realize until I uploaded it. I forgot to apply the volume level to that last cue.
That and The last shot is way too short.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah, but Stay-Puft is seen on billboards and packaging before he ever shows up in the film. And the reveal is played as a payoff to another character-based reaction moment ("What did you do, Ray?"). Up to that point the ghosts are all all bonkers stuff like Terror Dogs, potato-shaped slime monsters, and banshee librarians. That's one of the reasons why Stay-Puft works so well, it's a completely out of left field escalation. The tall-man thing from the new trailer looks like something from The Real Ghostbusters cartoon in comparison. I mean, I know we'll have to wait until the movie comes out to be for sure, but I doubt it's going to fulfill any purpose other than " random weird poo poo in the background" based on the trailer

Armyman25 posted:

Yeah, the look that Venkman gave in the original when Stanz told him how much the car cost is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CPss95p3Ck

That's the stuff.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sef! posted:

Yeah, but Stay-Puft is seen on billboards and packaging before he ever shows up in the film. And the reveal is played as a payoff to another character-based reaction moment ("What did you do, Ray?"). Up to that point the ghosts are all all bonkers stuff like Terror Dogs, potato-shaped slime monsters, and banshee librarians. That's one of the reasons why Stay-Puft works so well, it's a completely out of left field escalation. The tall-man thing from the new trailer looks like something from The Real Ghostbusters cartoon in comparison. I mean, I know we'll have to wait until the movie comes out to be for sure, but I doubt it's going to fulfill any purpose other than " random weird poo poo in the background" based on the trailer

I don't disagree, but yeah like you said yourself... that's kind of a hard argument to make when you have no idea why it's there.

But that does bring up why I don't think the movie will work that well. It feels like it's a vehicle for these actors' witty banter. And the ghosts, however awesome I find all that neon production design, just feel like they're going to be a backdrop instead of interacting in the story that much.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

dog days are over posted:

I have no idea who this woman is but I think I love her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPdYYsEfAE

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

I seen this posted a lot but this is the first time I actually watched it and yeah that is some good funny stuff.

Does SNL regularly put stuff out like this or was this a kinda rare exception? Are they in a groove again?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PBS Newshour posted:

I seen this posted a lot but this is the first time I actually watched it and yeah that is some good funny stuff.

Does SNL regularly put stuff out like this or was this a kinda rare exception? Are they in a groove again?

rare exception

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, there's maybe a solid skit a week if you're into sketch comedy. The people in the skit I posted are also their best people (plus Ryan Gosling, obviously), particularly Kate McKinnon, which helps. A lot of the show is still pretty bad.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That Ghostbusters trailer has really bad music

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

However the movie turns out to be, it'll likely make a lot of money and Kate McKinnon will (rightfully) be the breakout star of the movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ghostbusters Kate McKinnon looks a lot like the lady in Community to me

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Edit: ignore me, tired.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

I genuinely keep confusing kate mckinnon and elizabeth banks

I'm surprised Pixels is getting a sequel.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
That trailer was garbage.

Also lol at the Three white experts and a sassy black lady who 'knows the streets'.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

kanonvandekempen posted:

That trailer was garbage.

Also lol at the Three white experts and a sassy black lady who 'knows the streets'.

Aw hell naw....:cripes:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah that was cringe-worthy. The power of pain compels you? Just say Christ rather than steal a line and change one word that doesn't enhance it in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

kiimo posted:

Yeah that was cringe-worthy. The power of pain compels you? Just say Christ rather than steal a line and change one word that doesn't enhance it in any way.

It's Patty, not pain. It's her name.

• Locked thread