Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

#idontcare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacalou

red soapstone on the iron keep bridge and summon into a fight club which has a nice set of etiquette rules here: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Fight+Club

generally, one or two pairs of people will square off and fight to the death, giving souls to all the red summons who are living at the time, or souls+effigy if you're the host. my two main weapons are powerstanced spotted whips infused with poison, which is I think the highest poison proc weapon in the game at that point. i also am wearing a ring and gauntlets that increase said poison damage. once i proc poison on the opponent, i switch to dual powerstanced manakin claws to stunlock and whittle them down until the poison does it's duty and renders them a scared husk. if they ever get outside of the short range claws or long range whips, i punish with poison throwing knives, keeping their poison buildup from going down before it can reach 100% and proc 1200-ish damage. in the third fight i'm smashing the guy's shield with a specific attack to drain his stamina, which, upon reaching zero during block, stuns him and opens him for a special attack which i use to murder him. generally the build's entire strategy is to psych out the opponent enough to make a mistake and then punish with poison, then, when they're panicking, take out the claws and get in their face mercilessly until death. the only reason i died in the last fight is because i was really cocky and didn't roll nearly enough to compensate for his swings. otherwise it would have played out like the second fight. all in all it's the best fun to be had in the game imo. good spectator sport as well.

e: oh yeah, the reason why it looks like the host is getting in the way all the time is bc he's summoning people from their signs which we can't see as invaders

bacalou fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 3, 2016

Salmiakki

Pro Target posted:

"i dont want to use the best and also easiest to acquire dex weapon in the game,.instead i want to limit myself to western looking weapons because the japanese are icky" -totally non-racist sentiment

lmao

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Salmiakki

thats one hell of a leap

ty cat dynamite

Shaquin

i dont like the katanas but thats because my mode for souls games now a days is to just go for a sort of Venetian knight aesthetic. like a master duelist from a 16th century Italian merchant republic was transported to a fantasy land and damned if he knows whats going on but he certainly knows which end of the rapier is good for killing

Shaquin

i tried to explain to my friends who game why they needed to play these games and they expressed some very disheartening sentiments about how they don't like that if you die you lose your stuff. i tried to get across that the stuff is just flowing all the time, you will seldom register the loss after a certain point but i think their taste for challenging games is dimming and that sucks.

Moola
I don't like katanas because Asians made them

we need to build a wall around Lordran to keep out the Asians and they swords

9hotonic

(after hearing the library has games , i arrive at the front desk, disguised as a non-gamer)

"er.. im here for some.. book's"

bacalou posted:

both pc and android have a ton of roguelikes but uh

pixel dungeon, out there omega edit, nuclear throne, legend of dungeon, risk of rain, and spelunky just to name a few off the top of my head. if you haven't played mother 3, i'd recommend that as well

i feel bad because i forgot to reply to this
thank you! i already have most of these but ive been hovering around nuclear throne for a while now
also yes dont worry ive played mother 3 i love it so much

Pro Target

Salmiakki posted:

thats one hell of a leap

just likethe one you should take off a tall building. boom

Salmiakki

Pro Target posted:

just likethe one you should take off a tall building. boom

:prepop:

ty cat dynamite

Shaquin

Moola posted:

I don't like katanas because Asians made them

we need to build a wall around Lordran to keep out the Asians and they swords

It's too late they've breached the third game. Serpentine indeed.

Moola
disgusting

Shaquin

If you did not choose this face and keep it exactly the same then smdh

Scaly Haylie

Awesome! posted:

monster hunter

i want gaping dragon in monster hunter.

Pro Target

monhun fights are better thanany dark souls boss and also they take actual skill because your dodge roll doesnt have 15 frames of invincibility and they last longer than 30 seconds

Scaly Haylie

monster hunter's really a superior game all around for letting you use the big hammers from the start.

Scaly Haylie

real talk if you're playing monster hunter and not rolling hammer what the gently caress are you doing

Pro Target

playing HH, the strictly superior support alternative to the hammer, or cahrge blade, the strictly superior offensive alternative to the hammer

Pro Target

in mh4u,of course

Scaly Haylie

the hammer is good if you lack finesse/social awareness like me, lizard wizard

Shaquin

monster hunter for me does not suffer from inferior mechanics but instead the staggering lack of fluidity. In a souls game every control feels like the natural extension of the input device and my human body. In monster hunter from time to time it has felt like you are battling the controls or are at least constrained by them.

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
i want to play through DS2 again since I got to the penultimate boss and got bored without doing any DLC

Scaly Haylie

Spanish Manlove posted:

i want to play through DS2 again since I got to the penultimate boss and got bored without doing any DLC

did you play scholar? if not, get scholar, it makes the game fresh again

Shaquin

I have no idea why they thought it was at all useful to force you to invest 15ish points into a stat depending on starting class to return your dodge roll to baseline functionality

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

Shaquin posted:

I have no idea why they thought it was at all useful to force you to invest 15ish points into a stat depending on starting class to return your dodge roll to baseline functionality

Yeah I'm probably going to end up pumping all the evasive poo poo and equip load before I bother deciding if I want to try str/fth or int/dex this go around. Str/fth sounds more fun though since I'll try to sunbro as much as I can because redoing boss fights is fun.

Shaquin

the math on it is weird too where there is just a break point around 25ish adp where it scales up or down on your armor exactly like it did in the first game I have no idea what the hell they were trying to accomplish

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

Shaquin posted:

the math on it is weird too where there is just a break point around 25ish adp where it scales up or down on your armor exactly like it did in the first game I have no idea what the hell they were trying to accomplish

yeah I recall hearing "get it to 25 and then leave it alone" or something

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
anybody got a good link to builds like a str/int or str/fth build?

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

Pro Target posted:

monhun fights are better thanany dark souls boss and also they take actual skill because your dodge roll doesnt have 15 frames of invincibility and they last longer than 30 seconds

i played hundreds of hours of mh before touching any souls games. going from the mh roll to the souls fast roll was one of the biggest "holy poo poo this is op as gently caress" moments in my gaming life

deep dish peat moss

I got softbanned in Dark Souls 2 and then that ban carried over to Scholars when it came out, so I haven't been able to play Dark Souls in way too long. That's why I'm so excited for 3.

deep dish peat moss

I got Monster Hunter 4 on my 3ds but I can't get in to it because there's way too much time spent running from point A to point B and I don't want to spend my precious video gaming minutes traveling and grinding the same thing over and over for crafting materials. The fights are fun though.

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

after a few hours you get your farm set up and you dont have to gather anymore aside from a few specific bugs and things

deep dish peat moss

Actually I just remembered how the bosses will run away to different zones, forcing you to do even more running around, and plus the weapon sharpness mechanic is really annoying, so I guess the fights aren't that fun.

deep dish peat moss

Awesome! posted:

after a few hours you get your farm set up and you dont have to gather anymore aside from a few specific bugs and things

When does that happen? I like the game aside from the tedium and time spent doing nothing fun or exciting. I played through all of the 1 and 2 star quests in the (first?) town.

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

i forget when exactly. shouldnt be too much further than that. after awhile you basically only fight the big monsters

you might also like the arena mode thats in the guild hall since there is no running around there at all

Scaly Haylie

new monster hunter coming out this summer, but fire emblem's in it

deep dish peat moss

Cool, both parts of that sound cool. I'll go back to it when I'm done playing Fire Emblem.

Is anyone else playing the new Fire Emblem? I can't figure out how to unlock the third campaign, I bought Rebirth and then got the DLC version of Conquest, the third one is still grayed out on the campaign selection screen and I'm prompted to buy it on the Unlock Campaigns screen, but when I hit unlock it loads the e-store then tells me no DLC is available and returns me to the game.

Pro Target

revelation unlocks on march 10th

deep dish peat moss

what a fool I am, this is an embarrassing revelation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

seriously what's fire emblem doing in monhun