Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fishy Joe posted:

How would you rate your satisfaction with Bank of America, on a scale of 1 to 50?

Hell kinda scale is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
It's like Radium is that guy who gets explosive diarrhea in his new girlfriend's bathroom and she's knocking on the door asking if he's okay and she can hear the sink running and the sound of frantic scrubbing, plunging, and flushing and he's like, "Everything is fine! I can't open the door right now! You CANNOT come in here!"

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

captainoblivious posted:

Its really amazing how Lowtax hasn't completely lost his mind running this place. I'm sorry about all of your terrible employees man.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I'm a tiny bit sympathetic.

If you've never worked in a good job with good structure, it's easy to fall into bad working habits. You just don't know have a model for what a productive work environment looks like. Coupled with an inexperienced manager, these things just feed on each other like two junkies dating.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Doghouse posted:

I need to see some radium code, this thread is hilarious
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/499395145566285824

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
YO TAX MAN

Whatever happened to the GAMEFAN money that you never got for running their stupid Donkey Kong 64 ads on the forums and front page all the time

was that ever settled or did it just fade into oblivion or what? did you fix your credit after that?

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Lowtax posted:

I'll ask ZDR if there are any entertaining bits of coding. According to him, the issue was that he either tried to over-engineer or under-engineer everything or do something that still cannot be determined.

There's probably a software engineer caught in a temporal causality loop trying to use gravity to communicate the final pieces of code with you via your daughter's My Little Pony playset.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

My favorite radium feature was the link checker. It was supposed to check if a link you posted was submitted before, which is worthless for this forum, But also it didn't work with any link that had a question mark in it, which is like half the internet. And it stayed broken like that for years until it was removed.

What is this meant to do, cut down on people posting content? Why would you need this? To coldly compile a list of links ever posted? What the gently caress.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Yo tax, got any chatlogs of him just being a bad person in general or did he keep that confined to his SA Support Robot shitposting?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wedemeyer posted:

What is this meant to do, cut down on people posting content? Why would you need this? To coldly compile a list of links ever posted? What the gently caress.

for a long time GBS was just a 'repost this headline from fark as a new thread' forum

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

for a long time GBS was just a 'repost this headline from fark as a new thread' forum

Some people continue this tradition

sout
Apr 24, 2014

theultimo posted:

Some people continue this tradition

Really? I need a link for this.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
On the positive, if you search the code there's hopefully only one "you are gay" warning and only one "someone has stolen your trees" error.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Lowtax, I had no idea things were so bad. I apologize for yelling about search back in the day.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
it's great to see how well hiring internet crazies worked out. Yay for diversity!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im an internet crazy :cry:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Wedemeyer posted:

It was so if you made a thread when you previewed it before submitting it would tell you if the link was submitted so it would discourage reposts. Only problem is the only links posted here are news stories that have thousands of different versions. So someone would post the 5th thread about say Michael Jackson dying and say "Can't believe there's not a thread about this, but link checker says it's new!!!".

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
no joke, the very worst thing about running a business is hiring people and having to trust them to actually do work

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

sout posted:

Really? I need a link for this.

No can do. The link had a '?' in it so it doesn't work.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i said, excuse me, youre a hell of a guy
but like my my my my youre like
pelican fly

fuckin really like this song

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

goddam, Radium was way ahead of the curve on the "I'm gay" meme

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

idk when radium left but it seems like it was right around the time that the boston bombers got caught

coincidence? no, I doubt it

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
more stories please

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

goddam, Radium was way ahead of the curve on the "I'm gay" meme

nah the "you're gay" meme was big in the 20th century

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mein Eyes! posted:

nah the "you're gay" meme was big in the 20th century

no the idea here is that getting "[WARN] you are gay" would therefore prompt people to post "I'm gay"

he was a modern prometheus

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
So is radium off working for Chris Roberts now or what?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

natetimm posted:

the government, actually

in my headcanon he was hired for the launch of the obamacare website

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is working for the government codeword for KIA by police while assaulting elderly people in his underwear

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

the government, actually

in my headcanon he was hired for the launch of the obamacare website

actually he ran hillary's email server :ssh:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Feranon posted:

actually he ran hillary's email server :ssh:

nah the objectively disastrous launch of obamacare's website and the need to get a competent outfit to come in and fix it segues nicely with the radium canon

if he did Hilary's email servers this wouldn't be an issue, because the server never would have worked, so there would not have ever been a scandal

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Schweinhund posted:

On top of being incompetent and stealing money he was also an rear end in a top hat, on the forums at least, so no need to feel bad for him.

My favorite radium feature was the link checker. It was supposed to check if a link you posted was submitted before, which is worthless for this forum, But also it didn't work with any link that had a question mark in it, which is like half the internet. And it stayed broken like that for years until it was removed.

It was a perfect feature for the sort of content nazis that ran the place at the time - Lord forbid two threads with the same subject exist at the same time

I think my first probation was typing "teh" at the time... what a bunch of idiot mods SA had around 2009

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ethanol posted:

is working for the government codeword for KIA by police while assaulting elderly people in his underwear

Sounds more like something Shmorky would do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

natetimm posted:

Search Citizen will make all our dreams come true. Just gotta be patient.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
Dear Richard,

It's good to see you posting again.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Lowtax posted:

I really don't have any idea what you're doing, what you need to do it, or how long it will take to do. All I can do is ask if we need to buy something, and if so, I buy it. But I ultimately have no idea what it will be used for or how long it will take to do whatever with, so I'm pretty much in the dark about everything here.

Look, when Rube Goldberg says he needs you to buy him another two boxing gloves, 5 billiard balls and a dragon dildo, you buy him another two boxing gloves, 5 billiard balls and a dragon dildo and you don't question that when he's good and ready you're going to get a highly efficient machine.

But seriously, it sucks for you Mr Lowtax that you had to deal with that poo poo when you just wanted to have fun like the rest of us. It looks like Radium gave you more grief in every conversation than I give my boss in a year. You should be able to find someone who is good at what they do and also good at communicating, hopefully ZDR is that person!

That stuff about not wanting to give ETAs is bullshit. I mean:

Lowtax posted:

(22:34:48) SAAssLowtax: listen, I don't want dates set in stone, I would never say "X needs to be done on Y or else you're fired." I understand poo poo comes up and delays stuff, that's life. But I would like to know what poo poo is coming up, how much it is delaying things, and basically what is going on. Same thing I've been saying for years now.

You could say Radium didn't have a highly experienced software manager to help him grow but the above quote is a pretty good thing to hear from your boss, maybe Lowtax got it out of "Software Project Management for Dummies" or something I dunno but it's a good sign. Knowing he was in that environment, Radium should have grown some balls, given an estimate, then at the end gone "oh poo poo, sorry, turns out I'm 10x slower than I thought I was, I'll feed that back into my next ETA."

P.S. Sorry I haven't given you more than just :10bux: Lowtax, I have this idea for an avatar I haven't gotten around to doing. If you really need some money right now let me know.

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

Lowtax posted:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

He would never write such a thing, that would've threatened his job security!

FWIW, I've never seen this in industry. These people are usually just really loving incompetent. Not nearly smart enough to intentionally obfuscate enough code to make it impossible to decipher. They just really suck or are super lazy. Sorta like an urban legend for developers.

On the flip side, if you hire another poo poo person after the first poo poo person, yeah, your gonna get hurrrrrrr all the variables are named x and all the functions are foo! Too hard to figure out!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lifg posted:

I'm a tiny bit sympathetic.

If you've never worked in a good job with good structure, it's easy to fall into bad working habits. You just don't know have a model for what a productive work environment looks like. Coupled with an inexperienced manager, these things just feed on each other like two junkies dating.

Sympathy for the devil

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i heard that 80% of the "registered" forums accounts are actually radium. i also find it interesting that hes "working" for the "government" now. just food for thought.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Wheres the Schmorky chat logs. Those gotta have some fun juicy bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Wheres the Schmorky chat logs. Those gotta have some fun juicy bits.

It's hard to translate the high-pitched keening he emitted at all times into text form.

• Locked thread