Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

poo poo i'm upset that I didn't realize this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Azathoth256 posted:

Of course there's four points, the ultimate pirate treasure would need to be marked with an x.

Only acceptable if it's an island shaped like a skull.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Gyges posted:

Only acceptable if it's an island shaped like a skull.

We already had one of those.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Darth Walrus posted:

They're all indestructible information repositories containing great, important secrets. Four especially important ones point to the most vital, explosive piece of information of all.

There's a theme there.

You're just reiterating my point using big words. It's disorienting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

There not random things, the Ponoglyphs are basically immortal tomes that chronicle big poo poo that matters to the world such as super weapons

And now that we've narrowed down that there are only 4 that matter in context to the story who really cares what the other ones said.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="457001266"]
We already had one of those.

You can never have too many skull islands.

One Piece is actually a giant straw hat that sits atop the skull island.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Veskit posted:

And now that we've narrowed down that there are only 4 that matter in context to the story who really cares what the other ones said.

We only ever see the ones that matter. Robin has apparently seen and read dozens of them. In the story we only see them at Alabasta, Skypea, Fishman Island, and Zou. All of those ponyglyphs relayed important information both for the story and the world.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Well, I mean, there's the RIO Poneglyph too. And they are kind of integral to Robin's whole character.

You can think there are only four vital to the plot. Y'know. If you're stupid.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Veskit posted:

I do. They're interesting world-building material.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Veskit posted:

This is very strangely reductionist. A story is more than its plot. And even then, the plot is broader than "get to Raftel".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Veskit posted:

the superweapons have been written down on them and its very likely we'll see them. stop being such a downer

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So Raftel is a sunken island...

Know what sinks islands?

GODDAMN, KICKIN-RAD SUPER WEAPONS IS WHAT!

I think the World Government has the original Pluton ship or Uranus

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

So Raftel is a sunken island...

Know what sinks islands?

GODDAMN, KICKIN-RAD SUPER WEAPONS IS WHAT!

I think the World Government has the original Pluton ship or Uranus

Wasn't Spandam's whole motivation to get Pluton? Why would he need to do that if the WG already had it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Wasn't Spandam's whole motivation to get Pluton? Why would he need to do that if the WG already had it?

Left hand versus right hand? Internal power struggle? I mean, I don't believe that the WG has a superweapon, seeing as they like to rule by fear and the fairly low-tech Buster Call is the most terrifying thing they have (in other words, if they had a Death Star, they'd have used it by now), but I think we can take it as a given that the Celestial Dragons are backstabbing, power-hungry fucks who make the great houses of Westeros look like one big, chill, happy family.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Silver2195 posted:

Spandam was far from a reliable soldier and not likely to be trusted with a secret of that magnitude.

Darth Walrus posted:

Left hand versus right hand? Internal power struggle? I mean, I don't believe that the WG has a superweapon, seeing as they like to rule by fear and the fairly low-tech Buster Call is the most terrifying thing they have (in other words, if they had a Death Star, they'd have used it by now), but I think we can take it as a given that the Celestial Dragons are backstabbing, power-hungry fucks who make the great houses of Westeros look like one big, chill, happy family.

A fair point, but if they are holding it in secret to deal with the next Pirate King (or assault Raftel when it is finally revealed in a last-ditch attempt to destroy/permanently remove the Ponyglyph residing there), that would not surprise me.

Also I think Shanks has knowledge of the third Ponyglyph and Blackbeard will kill him to take/read it.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Crazyeyes posted:

Spandam was far from a reliable soldier and not likely to be trusted with a secret of that magnitude.

A fair point, but if they are holding it in secret to deal with the next Pirate King (or assault Raftel when it is finally revealed in a last-ditch attempt to destroy/permanently remove the Ponyglyph residing there), that would not surprise me.

Also I think Shanks has knowledge of the third Ponyglyph and Blackbeard will kill him to take/read it.

If anyone has/ going to get their hands on Pluton, it's Blackbeard

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

dazoner posted:

If anyone has/ going to get their hands on Pluton, it's Blackbeard

Yeah, I mean, there's the whole Pluto > Cerberus connection for a start.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Goddamn :stare:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Did they just not eat anything because it reminded them of Oden instead of some samurai chivalry bullshit?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Interesting. In the Korean version, it's the executors speaking those lines. Something along the gist of "Boil him like his name!" sort of deal. Which seems to make more sense to me.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Favorite parts of the chapter were Luffy's face and everyone gettin all hyped up to protect Robin.

Aint no one taking Robin again :colbert:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Interesting. In the Korean version, it's the executors speaking those lines. Something along the gist of "Boil him like his name!" sort of deal. Which seems to make more sense to me.

It's definitely supposed to be translated that way, that bubble is the "thing said in the past" bubble.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Ok... I laughed at the thought of Momo eating his dad and he was crying because Sanji's food reminded him of how good it was...

I am a terrible person

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GonSmithe posted:

It's definitely supposed to be translated that way, that bubble is the "thing said in the past" bubble.

Dudes need to MangaStreamline their translation process.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is it just me or has Luffy been demonstrating more genuine empathy of late?

Also, I hope we get a flashback to Lord Oden and how he died.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

luffy is always empethetic he usually just hides it under manly understanding, here he's with friends so he's more relaxed.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Luffy's just not empathetic to the idea of "can't" and "shouldn't". These are foreign concepts to him and best avoided.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I'm half-expecting the next chapter or two covering exactly that.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Holy poo poo was Brook always this drat tall?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Veskit posted:

They matter for the history of the world.

Four point to Raftel yes, but that's not the only important thing in the story. They give us context as to what exactly the World Government was hiding and what could be hidden on Raftel. Plus they also store information on the goddamn super weapons and other important plot stuff, which also ties back into Robin's personal goal of knowing the full history of the world. Reaching Raftel without knowing all the other information first is pointless because you don't have the full view on things and can come to potentially false conclusions, which is exactly what Rayleigh told Robin.

The story doesn't stop at just knowing where Raftel is and reaching it, there's alot more going on than that.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 4, 2016

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Veskit posted:

I'm not a fan of how disoriented the poneglyphs are just throwing that out there. 4 are location ones and the others are just bullshit to speculate on forever basically?

One Piece still has many years to go before we can see Robin travel the world and bring every single Poneglyph's message to the Rio Poneglyph.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pureauthor posted:

It'd be loving brutal even by One Piece standards if the guy was literally boiled to death when he was alive. :gonk:

Kaidou is ruthless.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

frajaq posted:

Holy poo poo was Brook always this drat tall?

Yeah.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Luffy's just not empathetic to the idea of "can't" and "shouldn't". These are foreign concepts to him and best avoided.

Also any respect for the concept of hierarchy or nobility.

No lords, no masters!

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Brook is like 9 feet tall you just kind of forget about it because every villain is like double that.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It'd be loving brutal even by One Piece standards if the guy was literally boiled to death when he was alive.

That was a traditional execution method in Feudal Japan (famously it was used to execute Goemon Ishikawa) so it actually fits since that seems to be the country's whole gimmick.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Specifically, Brook is 8'8", and pre-timeskip was 88 years old.

because pianos

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ryaomon posted:

That was a traditional execution method in Feudal Japan (famously it was used to execute Goemon Ishikawa) so it actually fits since that seems to be the country's whole gimmick.

That was what I was thinking of, yeah.

Feudal society was pretty hosed up, yo. What are the chances we'll see literal torture depicted in One Piece? Kaidou doesn't seem to be above that kind of thing, considering we literally saw Jack cut off the arms/legs off Nekomamushi and Inuarashi already on-panel.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

That was what I was thinking of, yeah.

What are the chances we'll see literal torture depicted in One Piece?

The introduction to Impel Down was panels of prisoners being whipped and drowned.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sub Harrison posted:

The introduction to Impel Down was panels of prisoners being whipped and drowned.

Oh yeah, good point.

For a kid's comic, this stuff gets surprisingly brutal.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Oh yeah, good point.

For a kid's comic, this stuff gets surprisingly brutal.

I mean, JoJo ran in Shonen Jump until 2005.

Gamaran also ran just a few years ago and that had people getting straight up chopped in half. By the protagonist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im betting on one piece not being a reward but an incentive. The point of it is not to get people to acquire it but to get to where it is. And Roger announced it to the world to make sure that the only people who could or want to get to it are people who arent satisfied with where they are (like the Yonkou) and also whom are immensely powerful/resourceful enough to beat every other pirate to it.