Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Yvonmukluk posted:

God dammit, I was just imagining how it might work. Like Cassandra Cain as Batgirl

DC: "Who? We don't remember that person, all we could hear after New 52 was people whining about Stephanie."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TCat posted:

DC: "Who? We don't remember that person, all we could hear after New 52 was people whining about Stephanie."

Actually she exists again now! :toot:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Aithon posted:

Alfred the desk-worker is still pretty great. I'd love to see a game about Alfred the master hacker where you just remotely open doors, operate ridiculously complex mechanisms, hack the world and generally are mission control to Batman.

Major_JF posted:

Have a top down blueprint map where you can control light and alarms and doors and so on. Any action takes an amount of time do the hacking but the hacking just happens with a single click. Also have first person views of the fighters to get clues, information to get information, faster hacks see areas not on the blueprints, or just watch them fight.. Also have rainbow six style path mapping that you can change with the characters doing the leading/talking with the ground crew getting annoyed if you send them back and forth too many times.

This is describing the Decker/Hacker gameplay of the "perfect" Shadowrun MMO.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
It's probably just my "That is totally Jason Todd, unless they're setting it up to be a sort of 'Ah HA! You thought it was Jason Todd but it was someone with a completely different body type!' kinda twist" thought developing into a prejudice, but I was actually kind of expecting them to throw off the entire expectation at the confrontation there. A-Knight starts monologuing, saying "You're thinking 'Who the hell is this guy?'", and it would be a pretty decent World's Greatest Detective response to say "Actually, I was thinking how disappointed I am in you, Jason." Just cut the head off the burgeoning mystery, do something actually surprising.

Still, "I'm deciding which of you my car should shoot first" is a pretty decent response too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
An example of the really nice design in this game: one of the Knight's men is always positioned between them and the car so that the Knight themselves can't be hit by the first round.

Things I wish were in this game: being able to rescue the workers who die if you go for them before scanning the plant.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 3, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

WFGuy posted:

It's probably just my "That is totally Jason Todd, unless they're setting it up to be a sort of 'Ah HA! You thought it was Jason Todd but it was someone with a completely different body type!' kinda twist" thought developing into a prejudice, but I was actually kind of expecting them to throw off the entire expectation at the confrontation there. A-Knight starts monologuing, saying "You're thinking 'Who the hell is this guy?'", and it would be a pretty decent World's Greatest Detective response to say "Actually, I was thinking how disappointed I am in you, Jason." Just cut the head off the burgeoning mystery, do something actually surprising.

Still, "I'm deciding which of you my car should shoot first" is a pretty decent response too.

You know, this is a missed opportunity to humanize Batman.

Oracle: Bruce, the Knight has to be
Batman: (interrupting) He was a son to me, I hope we're wrong
Oracle: Are you ever wrong?
Bats: I might be.

What happened to Jason in this continuity? Death by Joker?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

He's never been mentioned before, iirc.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually she exists again now! :toot:

Huh...news to me. Good for her! I kinda like her better than "super duper hip with the kids" Stephenie.

Omobono posted:

You know, this is a missed opportunity to humanize Batman.

Oracle: Bruce, the Knight has to be
Batman: (interrupting) He was a son to me, I hope we're wrong
Oracle: Are you ever wrong?
Bats: I might be.

What happened to Jason in this continuity? Death by Joker?

Yeah he got crowbarred.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

fractalairduct posted:

He's never been mentioned before, iirc.

Joker says "Didn't I kill you already?" to Tim Drake during Joker's Carnival in Arkham City.

There was also a line about "It looks like you could use a new sidekick" in Asylum, with no other mention of Robin in that game, though that was eventually retconned since Tim Drake was apparently active during that time period.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

TCat posted:

Yeah he got crowbarred.

But he survived! So he can't be the Arkham Knight. :colbert:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't realize Spawn was in Gotham.

Wouldn't be the first time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn/Batman

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

TCat posted:

Yeah he got crowbarred.

And blowed up.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

After having seen the Asylum and City LPs I am going through the Arkham Origins LP and for whatever reason, episode 9 will not load for me at all. The two videos before and after work just fine except for that one. Is there something you can do about that?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kal-L posted:

I love how Batman looks like he's trying to sell you insurance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kal-L posted:

Pictured: Batman holding a man who is most definitely alive, as evidenced by all the blood

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CJacobs posted:

Pictured: Batman holding a man who is most definitely alive, as evidenced by all the blood

It's still on him, they can push it back in. That's how blood works, right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It's still on him, they can push it back in. That's how blood works, right?

It's how mine does so I'd hope so!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Thunderfinger posted:

After having seen the Asylum and City LPs I am going through the Arkham Origins LP and for whatever reason, episode 9 will not load for me at all. The two videos before and after work just fine except for that one. Is there something you can do about that?

I'll see if I can reupload a copy of it. No promises though!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Another game where you play as a "mission control" of sorts is Experience 112. Although it is reported to be rather janky.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

CJacobs posted:

If he is still bleeding he is still alive :colbert:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Pretty much everyone who's played this game before knows exactly where this episode is going to end.

The Predictable Cliffhanger/Polsy

Race 4: 1966 - Batcave Set/Polsy

This race is PRETTY HARD YOU GUYS. Took me about half an hour of attempts to get this run.

Thunderfinger posted:

I uploaded a copy here. Give it a shot! Otherwise I'm not sure what else I can do.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

dscruffy1 posted:

This race is PRETTY HARD YOU GUYS. Took me about half an hour of attempts to get this run.

I can see why you say that holy hell, some of those targets were incredible dick moves. So close to the three star point and you got like six or seven 2 second clocks.

So I didn't see it asked before but what effect does powersliding have on your timer? It goes green while you're doing it but I couldn't see any noticeable effect on the timer?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

So I didn't see it asked before but what effect does powersliding have on your timer? It goes green while you're doing it but I couldn't see any noticeable effect on the timer?

So the timer actually slows down while you're in powerslide. Sometimes it will just flash because it's a really quick tap of the brake but if you're actually drifting it's slower. The last curve in the first 1966 race is a good example for that.

e: I think it slows it down around half time, maybe even a third. One second in powerslide slowdown is about 3 realtime seconds.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 4, 2016

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

dscruffy1 posted:

So the timer actually slows down while you're in powerslide. Sometimes it will just flash because it's a really quick tap of the brake but if you're actually drifting it's slower. The last curve in the first 1966 race is a good example for that.

e: I think it slows it down around half time, maybe even a third. One second in powerslide slowdown is about 3 realtime seconds.

Yeah rewatching some of the other races I can definitely see that. It definitely helps get race times down. Guess I'll have to learn to drift if I want to do good at any of the races in the game :v:

Also, having played the game up to the next major Riddler intervention, you are right, I knew exactly where you were gonna cut the video.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

So that thug mentioned that all the villains pooled their money for Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight's army - that's what I'm talking about when I say this whole thing really feels like a last stand for the villains. They're putting everything they've got into this and if it fails? There's nothing left. All the villains feel desperate and angry, and I think they're scared. It's never really made clear exactly why Gotham's assorted criminals all decided that yep, this was the plan they were willing to lay down their money on and it was time to finally unite and end it all, but I've got a guess and I think it's because of Joker.

It's mentioned in the opening of the game that there's been very little crime since Joker's death in AC, even though everyone in the city was bracing for a huge power struggle. Nobody but Batman was there when Joker died and nobody knows how it happened. Now all the villains knew he was sick and they could just assume he died because of that, but Harley and Freeze at the very least both knew there was a cure, Batman had it, and Joker either didn't get it or he did get it and died anyway. Batman doesn't kill and the villains know that but what if he changed his mind? What if he did deliberately let Joker die or even killed him directly? They just don't know and they're scared that maybe Batman is finally willing to use lethal measures - and if Scarecrow is good at nothing else, it's playing on people's fears.

This is pretty much the last thread of the plot that I genuinely love.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What you were thinking of was in fact irony, so you had it the first time. That's not to say that a lot of irony also isn't the result of coincidence.

ALSO YEAH OF loving COURSE. I already kinda knew about this, but it still pisses me off.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 4, 2016

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I think I actually prefer this Scarecrow to the cackling madman of Asylum. In Asylum he was more a jump-scare. In Knight he's more of a slow burn, building up the atmosphere to oppress you. Sure, it doesn't come across that way with the giant TV screens with the standard supervillain speech, but it's far closer than we've gotten before. I liked the idea I saw before about the unsettling fear of uncertainty earlier in the thread, though. That was was more creepy than I think Scarecrow should go for, but it's a terrifying concept nonetheless.

EDIT: ^^ Poetic irony, I think. And quite rightly so.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, erm...why was Oracle in Gotham, again? Couldn't she have relocated and provided support from Metropolis, or Keystone, or literally any other city not under occupation by Scarecrow's army?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, erm...why was Oracle in Gotham, again? Couldn't she have relocated and provided support from Metropolis, or Keystone, or literally any other city not under occupation by Scarecrow's army?

Well all her stuff is in Gotham i assume and maybe she never set up a operation center in a different city? for some reason?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Because the plot needed her to be kidnapped. That's honestly the only thing I can think of, because I had the exact same reasoning as you on this. Her physical presence doesn't seem to add anything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

She has all her computers here.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Guess some of the fear gas was leaking into the room, what with the computer telling us the blast radius increased at the end.

Gotta hand it to the guys at WB, I had no clue about this cliffhanger going in. Not at all.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I genuinely thought she'd evacuated and that was why they show the little bit with her dad calling her, and then of course she's still in touch with Batman over Bat Hologram. So yeah, when I saw she was still in the city... I really, really saw this coming. It sucks that the game is being so predictable so far.

Speaking of predictable, we all saw this obvious cliffhanger coming and yet I'm still disappointed, game. Really? You couldn't just let it go?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Speedball posted:

Guess some of the fear gas was leaking into the room, what with the computer telling us the blast radius increased at the end.

Gotta hand it to the guys at WB, I had no clue about this cliffhanger going in. Not at all.

Yeah it's also obvious by the whole "gas erupting into the room" bit, you know with the pipes coming up through the floor

I'm glad even while dead the joker can manage to take over a story (or maybe he doesn't i don't know really)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This might get me some flak but I mostly like what the game does with the cliffhanger. Including the single time in the entirety of the series when he actually made me chuckle.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
This game leans pretty damned hard on Comic Book Science but I do like how the handle the Joker in this.

And yeah once the pipes started bursting and the Scarecrow didn't immediately stab Batman in the face Bruce should've realized something was up.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'm glad even while dead the joker can manage to take over a story (or maybe he doesn't i don't know really)

:unsmigghh:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Due to exposure to super-fear-toxin Batman is gonna end up with Joker hallucinations for the entire rest of the game isn't he

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

anilEhilated posted:

This might get me some flak but I mostly like what the game does with the cliffhanger. Including the single time in the entirety of the series when he actually made me chuckle.

I agree, I think it worked fine. The computer giving an obviously wrong update is a huge clue that batman is starting to hallucinate due to the gas, so when you turn around and there's another obvious hallucination you're primed to understand what's going on.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I kinda have a feeling that the Joker is NOT a fear gas thing.

That seems too obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

JT Jag posted:

Due to exposure to super-fear-toxin Batman is gonna end up with Joker hallucinations for the entire rest of the game isn't he

Oh, it's much worse than that.

• Locked thread