Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
HB at least is entertaining and cute, Boze is really pointless & it sucks because I thought at first he would be funny

Also by the time I did that quest I'd crafted a couple anti-terrain damage augments so me & Hope just fought a lot of stuff while standing waist deep in lava

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bozé's Heart-to-Hearts are kinda funny because they are all about how he doesn't actually understand Buddhism at all. I got the max amount of affinity from his first three by telling him repeatedly that he was wrong. That filled in like 3/4 of his fourth affinity heart.

Murderess is cool I don't mind her. Maybe if Irina was less of a bitch Murderess would stop stabbing her in the back? Also Hope is an amazing support character.

I think it's silly that Lao cant be used after chapter 9. He still has heart-to-hearts, but they expect you to max his affinity by that time? Lol no.

L is really funny and Nagi is really good.

Other thoughts: getting Mechanical lv 5 was easy, why did they have to put a lv 64 rear end in a top hat tyrant as a requirement for Archeological lv 5? That's crap.

I've still barely found any research probes in spite of all the mechanical wreckage I've salvaged.

Basically, Cauldros sucks. No matter what you do, some giant tyrant or like fifteen Skells are gonna join your fight and kill you. They made the flying fish in White Phosphor Spring or whatever a mission bounty, but they all sit next to a lv 80 Tyrant that you are guaranteed to accidentally anger. Cauldros was not fun to explore.

The flying music is great and I agree with whoever said that it is annoying how it starts over if you even touch down for a second.

I'm at 100 hours in this game and I still haven't done chapter 10. There's just so much to do!!!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I only just got Nagi but I like the cut of his jib

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

vaguely posted:

Murderess can gently caress right off too, who the poo poo let her on the White Whale 'sorry Lao can't bring your family, but this backstabbing jerk is totes welcome'

She's rich, which was exactly Lao's point

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Cutscenes have gotten about 500% better now that I have Lin equipped with sunglasses.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chieves posted:

Cutscenes have gotten about 500% better now that I have Lin equipped with sunglasses.

Giving everyone ridiculous fashion gear while they are out ripping indigens apart is one of the best parts of the game

(If you're new, make sure you hit X to bring up the menu and choose fashion equipment)

Edit: are the Skell frames that you get from the DLC characters' final missions any good? Like, better than the normal ones you can buy?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 29, 2016

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: are the Skell frames that you get from the DLC characters' final missions any good? Like, better than the normal ones you can buy?

I'm given to understand Boze's is awful (never completed his affinity missions). H.B.'s Police is only good for a narrow sliver of time (it's a level 30 Skell you won't use once you hit 50, and your level should be somewhere north of 40 to finish his last mission). Alexa's Excavator is a good starter for when you hit max level; other level 60 skells are better but hers is a lot easier and cheaper to make.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Giving everyone ridiculous fashion gear while they are out ripping indigens apart is one of the best parts of the game

(If you're new, make sure you hit X to bring up the menu and choose fashion equipment)

I just beat chapter 6 with Lao wearing a pair of cat ears, and I cannot agree more with this advice. :getin:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
lmao

quote:

Orluga Grass Skirts are rare materials in Xenoblade Chronicles. They are dropped by various Orluga in Makna Forest and can be traded for in Frontier Village, Makna Forest, and briefly in Alcamoth.

Five of them are needed for Material Quest 2 in Alcamoth.

Contents[show]
Needed for
Quests
Material Quest 2 (Alcamoth)
Sources
Trade
NPC Area Affinity
Adidi ※1 Frontier Village ☆3
Dedeba ※2 Frontier Village Overtrade
Dedeba ※3 Alcamoth ☆1
Nopon Sage ※4 Makna Forest Overtrade
Notes:
※1: Only if Adidi was given the Enlarging Seaweed during Who is Bigger?.'

Adidi got so swole from taking supplements she literally starts selling plus size clothing

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
this is the greatest videogame :allears:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TheArchimage posted:

I'm given to understand Boze's is awful (never completed his affinity missions). H.B.'s Police is only good for a narrow sliver of time (it's a level 30 Skell you won't use once you hit 50, and your level should be somewhere north of 40 to finish his last mission). Alexa's Excavator is a good starter for when you hit max level; other level 60 skells are better but hers is a lot easier and cheaper to make.

Alexa's Skell is really easy to make and worth absolutely millions. I sold three of them to buy my level 50 skells to save me having to waste time flying around building up funds.

Funny that the DLC (in japan) characters give out skells for their affinity missions! I do wish the game made a bigger deal of the skills you get from affinity stuff since after 30 hours or whatever I've totally forgotten if it was just part of my normal repotoire or given to me by doing a quest.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
H.B. was annoying at first, but I've gotten used to him now. Not to mention that having him and doug in the same party has given some interesting background chatter. When I can hear it anyway. I wish I could turn up voices after battle or turn down music, that poo poo is so annoying!

Anyway, doug has proven to be my best party member through and through. His starlight rondo always ends up taking off a heavy chunk of the enemy's hp bar every time he uses it, and he's also tougher for the baddies to kill somehow. It helps that I have him in a fancy suit (which is actually a school uniform apparently? It looks like a big suit on him though) and a pair of heart shaped sunglasses.

Now that I've been exploring augments more, I can totally see how much they change the game. I use rayguns, which can be a bit underwhelming in terms of auto attacks. So I found the augment to increase the magazine amount in your gun. So now I'm loaded up with an ether raygun that does more damagebthan other rayguns but has only one shot, the ether boost skill and am going for the augment that gives you 20 extra shots. Skill tickets are so useful to getting high level components. I should not be able to get this augment, but here I am only like 1300 tickets short of it! I've also been using them to get exp XX augments for my party. It helps get them up to snuff faster, which is great because I keep switching them out for each other once they've passed a certain affinity point. Of course I keep getting more people, so I figure I'll get the affinity of the people I don't like the most high enough to get their affinity missions, and then ditch them.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You don't need the 20 extra shots and 10 will more than do. I used the raygun/knife for the entire base game got through no problem. One thing that you should keep in mind is that the reload time is still going while you're using your skills. When the character lifts up the gun to reload, use a skill. This way there's no down time and you're constantly outputting damage. When the skill is done, the reload time will also already be done, and you will instantly start firing again. I didn't even bother using augments for mag capacity and just used the four shot raygun.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Sprite141 posted:

H.B. was annoying at first, but I've gotten used to him now. Not to mention that having him and doug in the same party has given some interesting background chatter. When I can hear it anyway. I wish I could turn up voices after battle or turn down music, that poo poo is so annoying!

Anyway, doug has proven to be my best party member through and through. His starlight rondo always ends up taking off a heavy chunk of the enemy's hp bar every time he uses it, and he's also tougher for the baddies to kill somehow. It helps that I have him in a fancy suit (which is actually a school uniform apparently? It looks like a big suit on him though) and a pair of heart shaped sunglasses.

Now that I've been exploring augments more, I can totally see how much they change the game. I use rayguns, which can be a bit underwhelming in terms of auto attacks. So I found the augment to increase the magazine amount in your gun. So now I'm loaded up with an ether raygun that does more damagebthan other rayguns but has only one shot, the ether boost skill and am going for the augment that gives you 20 extra shots. Skill tickets are so useful to getting high level components. I should not be able to get this augment, but here I am only like 1300 tickets short of it! I've also been using them to get exp XX augments for my party. It helps get them up to snuff faster, which is great because I keep switching them out for each other once they've passed a certain affinity point. Of course I keep getting more people, so I figure I'll get the affinity of the people I don't like the most high enough to get their affinity missions, and then ditch them.

I put Doug in a pair of mirrored sports shades and a jacket. He looks just like Johnny Gat, and it's awesome. Doug owns.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

You get... Smells for doing missions?

HB has more than his first mission!?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

You get... Smells for doing missions?

HB has more than his first mission!?

There's a Xenoblade wiki that contains the locations for all the heart to hearts and affinity quests.

I can't get it to load at work but it's decent.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Taear posted:

Alexa's Skell is really easy to make and worth absolutely millions. I sold three of them to buy my level 50 skells to save me having to waste time flying around building up funds.

Funny that the DLC (in japan) characters give out skells for their affinity missions! I do wish the game made a bigger deal of the skills you get from affinity stuff since after 30 hours or whatever I've totally forgotten if it was just part of my normal repotoire or given to me by doing a quest.

Isn't Alexa's Skell a lv 60? Why would you sell it? I got Bozé's Dozer and it's a slightly better Lv 30 Skell than the Asmowhatever but yeah. Lv 50 Skells own.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Because her skell only requires a handful of materials to make and sells for a ton of money, so you can make them for a quick source of cash.

If you're not yet level 60 it's a good way to buy level 50 skells. Otherwise there's not much point.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fourth Wall posted:

Because her skell only requires a handful of materials to make and sells for a ton of money, so you can make them for a quick source of cash.

If you're not yet level 60 it's a good way to buy level 50 skells. Otherwise there's not much point.

This is exactly the reason. When I got the schematic I could already build two of them and they're worth more money than I'd even seen up to that point.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Safety Scissors posted:

You don't need the 20 extra shots and 10 will more than do. I used the raygun/knife for the entire base game got through no problem. One thing that you should keep in mind is that the reload time is still going while you're using your skills. When the character lifts up the gun to reload, use a skill. This way there's no down time and you're constantly outputting damage. When the skill is done, the reload time will also already be done, and you will instantly start firing again. I didn't even bother using augments for mag capacity and just used the four shot raygun.

Well yeah, I could only go for 10 shots, but I don't want to. If I'm gonna go do it I'm gonna get as far as I can, and thanks to tickets I can get the best of the best right now. I'm gonna be machine gunning laser blasts.

But yeah thanks for the info on the reload, I didn't know that, and raygun reload time can he kinda high. Well it's especially noticeable when you only have one shot.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chapter 11:

Lin: "If we don't hurry, the Ganglion are going to get into the Lifehold Core!"

Me: That's great and all but I have five affinity missions and like 15 normal missions to do first ok IT CAN WAIT

Typical JRPG scenario.

I gotta say, running through the Ganglion base on such a high level that nobody attacked me was kind of surreal. Well, except for the unique Zigs or whatever.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Unique Zigs are a ballache. Their sight range is huge and obviously because they're Tyrants they'll always go after you even if you can kill them in a few hits.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I gotta say, running through the Ganglion base on such a high level that nobody attacked me was kind of surreal. Well, except for the unique Zigs or whatever.

What was really fun is I managed to find my way inside before actually getting the mission to do so, so I was just casually infiltrating for no reason whatsoever

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm halfway through the Definian Downfall mission

Pro tip: Bring your A-Team to this one. Jesus CHRIST

EDIT: Rexoskell is the worst ever when you can't use your own Skells! I soloed it by using Defensive Stance over and over and plinking away at its health for like a loving hour.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 3, 2016

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I've tried definian downfall but I get wrecked by randoms. I can take on small parties but as soon as the enemy is like 3 or more I get destroyed.

Any tips for Rexoskell whenever I finally reach it?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Target one of the missile pods on its side.

Pray.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sudden Javelin posted:

I've tried definian downfall but I get wrecked by randoms. I can take on small parties but as soon as the enemy is like 3 or more I get destroyed.

If you have any armor that gives you Reflect Beam, equip it. Barring that, equip anything that boosts beam resistance.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Also grinding puges for the top level phoenix and g-buster was well worth it. I'm now Joker grinding my other party members up to decent levels because screw gaining levels legitimately when there's like 18 party members

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The solution to Definian Downfall is to hire three level 60 Drifter class player avatars and have them do all the work for you.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Why Specifically Drifter? Why not Duelist or Samurai Gunner?

EDIT: I just finished Yelv's third affinity mission and uh, do they explain what the gently caress that final cutscene was all about?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Because the gap between a fresh new level 60, and a level 60 that put in the time and effort to get all the best equipment and augments is huge. The latter's always going to be Drifter class because that one lets you equip the highest number of skills so just filtering for that removes the weakest level 60s from the list.

Also they explain jack-poo poo, that scene is just sequel-bait.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Sudden Javelin posted:

if you're not gonna just hire a bunch of randos to do it for you, tell all your party members to get in their skells and hang around outside being useless for that sweet sweet 60% defence boost and not wasting 300TP accidentally ressing someone every time you try to use an art

you can stealth through most of the dungeon, if you're having to fight more than 2 things at once you messed up

vaguely fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 4, 2016

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Put together an infinite overdrive build with Ghostwalker and at least one good TP-using art, put on as much potential gear as you can, tear Rexoskell to pieces

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah really any infinite overdrive build will do, I don't use ghostwalker and I don't think I even had blossom dance

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

You don't really need potential gear either. The key is ghostwalker and the Full Metal Jaguar skill that gives you 10 seconds on the overdrive timer. That should buy you enough time to get a decent chain going and destroy it without taking big damage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Suaimhneas posted:

Put together an infinite overdrive build with Ghostwalker and at least one good TP-using art, put on as much potential gear as you can, tear Rexoskell to pieces

Please explain how infinite overdrive works. Ghostwalker is good though, I know that. I don't remember what potential does.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Please explain how infinite overdrive works. Ghostwalker is good though, I know that. I don't remember what potential does.

Getting enough TP while you're in Overdrive to activate Overdrive again, and doing that a lot. Pretty easy with Duelist's Tornado Blade / True Stream Edge, when they're active. Potential will increase the power of attacks that cost TP to use, for some reason.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alxprit posted:

Getting enough TP while you're in Overdrive to activate Overdrive again, and doing that a lot. Pretty easy with Duelist's Tornado Blade / True Stream Edge, when they're active. Potential will increase the power of attacks that cost TP to use, for some reason.

That makes sense. True Stream Edge is really, really good although tornado blade kinda sucks. I kept accidentally hitting Cetos and Welkin Leviaths with tornado blade, maybe that's why I don't like it.

I guess I'll go through full metal jaguar next, I'm almost done with the shield/gatling one and I've done Duelist, Galactic Knight and the raygun/knife one. But I pretty much exclusively used Longsword because it's so goddamn overpowered. Photon Sabres are also good and Rayguns are probably my favorite gun so far.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Potential boosts the healing you recieve and the damage TP attacks do.

The thing about overdrive that you probably don't know because the game never tells you and it's a footnote on the manual is that you can extend overdrive by just activating it again after reaching 3000 TP again. Seems like the easiest way to just get tons of TP to pull that off is equip a ton of Arts: TP Gain XX augments so every art gives you roughly a million TP, but I can't be arsed to do that so I just equipped the skills that increase overdrive time, the overdrive counter and the ones that increase your TP if you use either melee or ranged arts.

Overdrive has a ton of not explained weird mechanics, like getting a TP bonus if you purple and either melee/ranged arts one after the other, or increasing the overdrive timer if you use a green instead of a purple one. The bonus you get from those colour combo things increases the more your hit counter during overdrive increases, so having a lot of multi-hit arts helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

There's another way to keep overdrive going. Using a blue art in overdrive adds (0.1 * overdrive counter) seconds to the timer. I think green arts add half as much time, but also cause your next attack art to add double to the overdrive count. Green arts also let you switch between ranged/melee arts while still adding to the counter.

It's much cheaper on your TP if you use you blue/green arts to maintain overdrive.

• Locked thread